PDA

View Full Version : The Bitching Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Company blocking stuff

Do they have any open proxies unblocked? If not, you can always try them.

@Killa-Eyez: I haven't got any nice things to say, besides that the Bitching Thread's always open for ya. Unless we get fed up of your personality and ban you ;)

j/k :) Like Ani said, starting fresh yet knowing you've got good friends to lean on sounds like a refreshing idea. Endure and build on those experiences. As someone once said, anything that doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

(There are exceptions, but heck, fuck exceptions)

Death BOO Z
Fri, 02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
it's probably the best for you, Killaz.

fuck your old life if you didn't like them, you're talented enough to start a new ones.

Killa-Eyez
Fri, 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
My thoughts exactly guys. I currently live in The Hague and lived since I got out of the children's home. Only got bad memories here. While in the children's home I lived in Rotterdam and I had a good childhood there. It's where my best friend lives, so I'll be good.
Thanks for showing your support! :o

saman
Sat, 02-07-2009, 12:31 AM
three days ago, i got a call for an interview at med school at my university. since then, i've been freaking out almost constantly. i can't sleep because my head keeps going through interview scenarios, and i can't eat because just thinking about it makes my appetite vanish.

actually, the interview itself is not my biggest worry. that i know i can do well on, provided i'm prepared. i'm just freaking out at the prospect of not getting in, considering my grades. getting in would be the best thing that may ever happen to me, and not getting in would break my heart.

it's going be a looong four months.

Animeniax
Sat, 02-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Do they have any open proxies unblocked? If not, you can always try them.
They have all the main proxies blocked, they're very thorough. Some guys I know have cgi proxies but those are unreliable and get shut down all the time.

I found out today that theonion.com is blocked now! Could be a last straw for me...

itadakimasu
Mon, 02-09-2009, 12:27 AM
i'm running xp-64 on my computer and my wifes also. Itunes wasn't recognizing my wifes itouch, so i found a work-around that involved editing a few lines of code in the msi file. it worked fine, but I made the mistake of updating the itouch and the damn thing is bricked.

i'm glad i didn't use my iphone first... supposedly you can plug it into a 32-bit OS and restore it w\ itunes. On 64 it just comes up as a generic usb device and won't load any drivers : (

f*#ing apple...

RyougaZell
Mon, 02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
My company has gone communist with blocking internet sites this week, due to supposed continued (and erroneously reported) network abuse..

Welcome to my world.

At least our 'security executive' had to change from Websense to Iprism because it was too expensive. Iprism is easier to bypass.

itadakimasu
Mon, 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
if we were going to block web traffic, I'd probably be the person tasked w\ setting it all up anyhow :)

we were looking into websense at one point but for a small company its way too expensive.

Animeniax
Mon, 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Welcome to my world.

At least our 'security executive' had to change from Websense to Iprism because it was too expensive. Iprism is easier to bypass.
They use Smartfilter at my company. I've checked around, seems pretty difficult to bypass, or I don't know much about network security. It's another nail in the coffin in my time at this company and in this place. Considering I'm in the IT department, exceptions should be made :o .

RyougaZell
Mon, 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Part of a followup to your post Ani, and part bitching.

Iprism was placed, and while its easier to bypass, I think the security guy is an asshole.

The initial placement of Websense was because they didn't want us browsing for Football pages (Soccer for the americans) during the last World Cup. Then they left it there because they didn't want us browsing info on the Local Cups.

Now with Iprism in place all the damn Football pages are open while the Videogame pages are blocked. WTF?? This is Mexico damn it!! 99% of the employes browse Football while only about 30~40% of the employees browse videogames. He is an idiot. Period.

Animeniax
Wed, 02-11-2009, 11:22 PM
So is the security guy not a fan of video games? I've never trusted people in IT who don't like video games.

My current bitch: the DVD drive on the X360 is on the fritz and has been for a few days. It won't read disks and claims the disk is dirty or can't be played. Checking around it's a well known problem with X360 DVD drives. I have the Samsung 943A which is cool since it's supposedly easy to replace. The past few mornings I have had to open and close the DVD door and power the unit on and off several times to get it to read the disk. This morning nothing is helping, it won't fire up NFS: Most Wanted. Sigh.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I just found out I've got an extra course per semester to do this year, which is a bitch. Our practical placements also start in semester 1, rather than just semester 2, meaning coughing out 4-6 hours of unpaid "experience work" each week for who knows how long.

Oh, and after not running at all for like 3 months and not playing a serious game of soccer in 2 years, I barely lasted 15mins into the game. That sucks too.

KitKat
Thu, 02-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Oh, and after not running at all for like 3 months and not playing a serious game of soccer in 2 years, I barely lasted 15mins into the game. That sucks too.
A friend of mine is trying to convince me to join his soccer league, because they need more girls on the team. I'm considering it, but I know if I do the first few weeks are going to be really rough, since I haven't played at all in a few years. Ganbatte Bill!

My current depressing news is that I can't afford to pay my tuition that's due on Monday. I have maybe enough money in my bank account to buy groceries for the next two weeks. Looks like I'm going to be taking out another loan. I really need a job. *sigh*

Munsu
Thu, 02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Do a bake sale.

Nadouku
Thu, 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
My friends and I decided to order pizza from Pizza Hut after we played some games and were hungry. We ordered the Family Fest and they said, "Alrighty, your order will be there in about 30 minutes." One hour has passed, and I decided to give them a call. "Oh, sorry, we forgot to send out your order. Okay, we'll be there in 30 minutes, pronto." Another hour has passed, and my friend decided to lay some steam on the Pizza Hut. We drove up there and guess what? Pizza Hut was freaking closed. We decided to eat somewhere else afterwards.

Kraco
Thu, 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Haha. You should call the Pizza Hut main headquarters and suggest they grant that particular restaurant an award for superb customer service.

Edit: I have actually eaten only once at Pizza Hut (in Stockholm), and that time me and a buddy ordered small sized pizzas, they brought medium size by mistake. Naturally we only paid for small. So, I don't personally have anything to complain about.

RyougaZell
Thu, 02-12-2009, 02:06 PM
If I ever want to eat a good and hot pizza I end up buying it directly in the restaurant because their customer service plainly sucks. They never deliver on time, claim they did and deliver the product cold.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-12-2009, 04:04 PM
They never deliver on time, claim they did and deliver the product cold.We do :rolleyes:

RyougaZell
Thu, 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
We do :rolleyes:

You aren't here on Mexico Bill :p

(check your pms)

itadakimasu
Thu, 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
They have pizza hut in mexico ?

The last time I personally dealt w\ pizza hut, we'd just got back in town from a 12+ hour drive and decided it would be faster to pick it up.... Wrong. I gave them a good 15-20 minutes before I got there and then waited 15 minutes and no sign of any service at all.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-12-2009, 11:31 PM
(check your pms)
Cut out the flaming in the GD section, Ryouga.

You should all know better by now that Papa John's is the place to go for pizza (unless there's a local joint that sells kick ass pizza).

RyougaZell
Thu, 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Private Messages?

Whatever.

itadakimasu
Fri, 02-13-2009, 02:22 PM
since I got my new car a couple week ago, I've been parking in a vacant area of the parking lot where one side is against a curb so nobody should feel the need to park next to my car... so, for some reason people who have been parking in the same spots since we moved in back in december suddenly decide that I picked a great place to park because the past 3 days when i get to work, my spot is taken. Today, the bitch is half-way in the spot and half way in the spot next to it... wtf.

Then yesterday when I got home, somebody was backed into my parking spot at home, where we have just 1 assigned spot ( 2 cars ) since we have a 1 bedroom. If there wasn't a vacant spot in the front i was thinking of having them towed, but then I was thinking that they would probably do something to my car for having their car towed.

Animeniax
Fri, 02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
That's the problem with being middle-class. You have too much money to not care, but not enough money to not care.

My buddy had a good idea, from now on he only buys used cars so he doesn't care if they get dinged up. Not a beater or hoopty mind you.

XanBcoo
Sun, 02-15-2009, 03:36 AM
I helped this drunk girl with a broken phone find her friends about an hour ago. Just as the bar I was in was closing, I saw her fumbling with her stuff, crying. I sat down with her and asked her what was wrong and all she could do was sob uncontrollably. I eventually let her use my phone, which she could not operate correctly in her drunken state, so I had to talk to some guy on the other end who re payed my altruism with an accusatory "who are you??"

He eventually showed up and the drunken ditz hugged me goodbye as this guy stared me down. Stupid fuckers. Also I'm still not quite sober yet so if any of this is incoherent I apologize because I have not proofread my post like I usually do. The end.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 02-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Should've brought her to your home. She was crying right? And drunk? :p
I dunno, it's a good thing I never experience such things, lord knows what I would do.. :o

Stitch
Sun, 02-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Should've brought her to your home. She was crying right? And drunk? :p
I dunno, it's a good thing I never experience such things, lord knows what I would do.. :o
You would take advantage of the opportunity, maybe? Nobody could blame you for that.

So anyway, I took a leak this morning and it came out looking like cream soda. Now I'm pissed that I don't actually have any cream soda to drink. What a fucked up day!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-15-2009, 08:28 AM
I helped this drunk girl with a broken phone find her friends about an hour ago. Just as the bar I was in was closing, I saw her fumbling with her stuff, crying. I sat down with her and asked her what was wrong and all she could do was sob uncontrollably. I eventually let her use my phone, which she could not operate correctly in her drunken state, so I had to talk to some guy on the other end who re payed my altruism with an accusatory "who are you??"

He eventually showed up and the drunken ditz hugged me goodbye as this guy stared me down. Stupid fuckers. Also I'm still not quite sober yet so if any of this is incoherent I apologize because I have not proofread my post like I usually do. The end.

Well when you're sober Xan, feel good that at least you did your part, even if it isn't appreciated. You'd feel a lot worse walking away, then worrying later about what could have happened to the girl.

Put it this way, you helped because you wanted to, not because you wanted thanks. It's only natural that their reaction should piss you off, but never let that be a reason why NOT to help someone out.

But if it's something they could turn around and sue you for, that's a different story.

Nadouku
Sun, 02-15-2009, 12:35 PM
After enjoying my party yesterday (or tried to enjoy), my cold spawned forth a rash. Now, I'm completely itchy all over and I have been trying to resist the urge to scratch where it itches. Only thing that keeps me from scratching myself is Gold Bond and other medications, so hopefully, it'll be gone within the next two weeks or so.

Animeniax
Sun, 02-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Try some betamethasone dipropionate cream. That stuff cures pretty much all skin ailments. It requires a prescription however.

I almost finished Need for Speed: Most Wanted today. It turns out after you become the top guy on the list, you have to survive an extended police chase. Sorry if that's a spoiler.

Right after you do 5 consecutive races against the #1 guy, you think it's over, but it immediately throws you into a level 6 cop chase. So I spent almost 3 hours straight playing this game, to the point my vision blurred. I wasn't sure if it saved after you beat the #1 guy, so I kept playing (and replaying cause I'd get busted a lot) to try to finish the game, but then the DVD drive failed on me again, so I have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if I have to do the 5 races again before I can try to finish the cop chase. Here's hoping it saved after the 5 races.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 02-15-2009, 01:04 PM
I've never gotten to finish Underground 1 or 2 (the only ones I like) to this day, that kinda bumbs me out 2. Now I'm playing GoW 2 with a friend of mine but he's busy alot so it's moving slow. I really want my PS2 back (it's at his place fo GoW, his house is cooler to play at), cause I want to practice Tekken before 6 comes out on the PS3. I wanna OWN on the online play.

Also, I live @ my sis' place in a flat. She has some trouble with a neighbour and it seemed that just after my sis left for vacation to Miami, he turned off the water supply. He could've done it, cause the watermeter for all houses is in the basement in a cabine. Offcourse I couldn't find a key so I had to knock on another neighbours door to kindly ask to loan the key. Very frustrating, and I'm not sure what I'll do to that neighbour the next time he starts shit. I don't know for sure he did it, but who else could've done it? I'm a 99% sure it was him, except, I have no proof.

Yesterday I was healthy and everything. Today my throat hurts, I spit alot and I just sneezed blood.

FUCK!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Try some betamethasone dipropionate cream. That stuff cures pretty much all skin ailments. It requires a prescription however.

That's because it's a topical steroid ;)

Animeniax
Sun, 02-15-2009, 10:24 PM
That's because it's a topical steroid ;)
I did not knowingly take any performance-enhancing substances.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
I did not knowingly take any performance-enhancing substances.

Don't worry. It doesn't enhance anything :p

Try some betamethasone dipropionate cream. That stuff cures pretty much all skin ailments

Thought I'd say, if people have this lying around at home, don't put it on cuts, infections or tinea/fungus etc! -> being an immuno-suppressant means they'll just get worse.

Inflammations, hives and allergy etc are all good though.

It's a prescription for a reason ;)

Animeniax
Sun, 02-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Don't worry. It doesn't enhance anything :pI can claim ignorance but that didn't work for Rafael Palmiero either. I guess I'll have to avoid becoming a professional athlete just to be safe.

Thought I'd say, if people have this lying around at home, don't put it on cuts, infections or tinea/fungus etc! -> being an immuno-suppressant means they'll just get worse.Oh crap, thanks for this piece of advice. I've been putting this stuff on some cuts since I thought it would help them heal. It did help the wound close faster, but not healthily I imagine. I'll stick to the Neosporin.

XanBcoo
Mon, 02-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Well when you're sober Xan, feel good that at least you did your part, even if it isn't appreciated. You'd feel a lot worse walking away, then worrying later about what could have happened to the girl.

Put it this way, you helped because you wanted to, not because you wanted thanks. It's only natural that their reaction should piss you off, but never let that be a reason why NOT to help someone out.
My post reads a lot more angrily than when I remember it from yesterday. Actually I wasn't very annoyed at all and didn't really expect any thanks. I think I was just frustrated because I was still kind of drunk and spent an evening getting turned down by girls I asked to dance with :o. Also the drunk girl really could not do anything besides sob. All I could get her to say was her name and her friend's number. Very trying.

complich8
Tue, 02-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow ... the travails of you folks over the last few weeks make mine pale by comparison. Everything I have to bitch about is caused by my own laziness, negligence or lack of motivation.

Animeniax
Tue, 02-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Weird, I was thinking the same thing about my recently posted problems. A bad DVD drive in my X360 and having to redo some races in a game don't compare too well to some of the real life problems you guys are posting about.

Mostly my problems are a result of boredom.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Seth spamming Dhalsim's long arms in SFIV. Every. single. time.

Xelbair
Sat, 02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Try to fight with kilik in SC4 then.(with other char than siegfried or nightmare - they own him)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Being sunburnt is no fun. :(

Nadouku
Wed, 02-25-2009, 12:02 AM
God, I accidently stepped on a nail. It didn't stab through that much, but enough to make it bleed and hurt more if I step on it. Now, I have to limit my movement around for a while till it heals up, and maybe go see a doctor it something weird presents itself (like an infection).

Kraco
Wed, 02-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Just be sure your tetanus vaccination is still in effect. Seeing how you are 92 years old, you might have forgotten when you were last time vaccinated (booster).

Nadouku
Wed, 02-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Heh, I got it checked and it turned out okay as long as I don't apply any force on it. I did renew my tetanus shot so now I have another ouchie to worry about.

Ryllharu
Tue, 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I discovered today much to my dismay, that a box Girl Scout cookies are on average 1/3 smaller than they were last year. They still cost the same.

It is only now that realization of the full extent of the global economic depression really hits me :(

RyougaZell
Tue, 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Cookies? Bleh..

Try living outside the US and see you economy go downhill thanks to the dollar.
Before this mess began I could buy a dollar with 11 pesos. Today the freaking dollar costs 16 pesos. Thus... games, movies and whatever crap I want to buy ends up being almost 50% more expensive

Ryllharu
Tue, 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Thin Mints are one of the greatest gifts mankind gave to itself. :p

Don't think it's that much better here. While it may be entirely our economy's fault, things are not pretty here. I lucked out by being in a slower-growth stable industry, but everything else has gone to shit. The huge company right down the road is laying off hundreds of researchers. That's a huge hit to the upper middle class in the region, which will cause a ripple effect over the long term. They all tighten their belts, everyone in the retail industries suffer. It can cause a big cascade.

As for the exchange rates...buy local?

RyougaZell
Tue, 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I've got no problem with local things. But manga and videogames are extremely expensive now. For instance... Street Fighter 4 sells for 1200 pesos in its normal version, whereas if the economy hadn't go down it would cost only 700 pesos. And thats with 'legal stores'. Those that import illegally sell it at 900~1000 pesos.

Don't really want SF4, but it was a good example.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
On a less depressing note, went basketballing last weekend. Caught in the defense a big fat guy drives in, hard, and I tried to hold him off with my D and reached for the ball. :(
Ofcourse a foul cause I hit his finger while reaching with my left arm, but at the same time I think my right got tangled up with his left in some way.
It felt like my arm was being dislocated and relocated on the spot. It hurt. Bad. But I shook it off and kept playing. Didn't suffer much from it the rest of the day.
Then in the evening the pain just came like a 100 MPH schoolbus into my arm. I thought it was gonna fall off. It's better now, though I can't make excessive movements with it. Today while playing, I reached with it for the rebound. I felt that. :o

Xelbair
Wed, 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank god that this economic disaster haven't reached Poland. Games are now expansive as hell(200PLN for new console game, average earnings 2000PLN(500-750 <- remove this for taxes), if they would be more expansive no one would buy them.

Assertn
Wed, 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
lol. In the midst of a global recession and you guys are only concerned about the cost of video games. Seriously.

darkshadow
Wed, 03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
The recession hits people in different regions in different ways.

Assertn
Wed, 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM
you mean like how manufacturing activity in the UK is currently at 12 year lows, how your FTSE 100 has regressed to levels from 2002, or how the euro lost 20% gain on the US dollar?

You're right DS, time to load up on food, water, shotgun shells and xbox games!

Animeniax
Wed, 03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
The system has gotta hit rock bottom before you build it back up, or they'll just bandage it and this will happen again in the future.

Xelbair is a 17 year old guy. Video games and fast food are probably the two most important commodities to him at this stage in his life. Nothing wrong with that.

Assertn
Wed, 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
everyone, regardless of age, is perpetually young in these forums.

RyougaZell
Wed, 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
My example was based on games because its something I usually import. Like a book, a manga, a game or a movie. And because it would be easier to explain to many of those that post here.

I have no problem buying local things nor paying services (phone, isp, etc).

Plus... I leave at the North of Mexico, so going to USA and watch the cost of the dollar is quite usual.

darkshadow
Wed, 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
you mean like how manufacturing activity in the UK is currently at 12 year lows, how your FTSE 100 has regressed to levels from 2002, or how the euro lost 20% gain on the US dollar?

You're right DS, time to load up on food, water, shotgun shells and xbox games!

Every region is different, there was only one bank here that almost died, but it was taking care off, people here joke about the economic crisis, simply cause, it hasn't really hit as hard as in other regions of the world. Everything still costs the same, people aren't getting fired, heck the only ones really experiencing some of it are people that are in stocks or large corporations.
So if the price of anything else wouldve gone noticably up, even games, I'm sure it isn't really that weird to bitch about it.

Abdula
Wed, 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
everyone, regardless of age, is perpetually young in these forums.
I absolutely love that, yet another great Assertn quote. Surprised you're making such a fuss over the current financial crisis though. You've been here long enough to know GW doesn't pay heed to such things.

Xelbair
Wed, 03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Well - i just continued from what RZ said - about games and manga etc. most important thing for me right now is my guitar.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 03-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm starting to feel like everything in the world is losing density and falling apart.

My neighbor asked me a while ago to help her with a computer problem, turns out she was trying to copy-paste text from a webpage, and it turned out all backwards. this WAS an issue about ten years ago, when right-to-left text (like hebrew) didn't show up well on explorer so every site was written backwards so it would show up right. freakin' nostalgia.

but that's aside, how the hell is it Wednesday already? I have no recollection of doing anything this week, where has the entire week gone? on the same note, did we just skip out on February?

the most bitching thing is, however, the fact that my underpants somehow lost their rubberband. I have no idea how it happened, maybe I hulk out during nighttime and the rubber snapped (not to be taken is perverse context), but if sudden super powers is the best explainnation I have for why clothes don't fit me and I need to use my belt to keep my underpants up, something must be wrong in the world.

oh, economic recession, I don't personally feel it, my parents workplace isn't much effected by it, and my job is the kind of shit that I'd hate no matter what.

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't know, one of the few industries actually doing very well according to economists was the video game industry. At least the publishers anyway...

It's a pretty solid investment, and it will keep you entertained when you can't afford much of anything else.

All that said, my 401(k) states otherwise when I try to say I haven't been hit too hard by this depression.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Gotwoot will survive this recession ;)

Regarding business, ever since my state's changed road rules so that Learners have to clock 100hrs over a 1yr period has been bad for driving instructors. People would rather learn from their parents now, since they have to drive for a year and clock up those times anyway, whereas before, it was 6 months, and as little practice as you wanted (~6-12 driving lessons?). This, more so than the economy, has made living as a driving instructor difficult. - a personal account from someone I know.

I'm blind as a bit these days. Yesterday, I beeped my card on the bus as I got on, and failed to notice a mum from our neighbourhood who was sitting right behind the beeper.

Today, I went and sat down on a seat only to find there was no seat.

There were 3 fold-up-able seats on the left and 3 on the right side of the bus. Sideway facing seats that could fold to allow wheelchairs/babyprams to fit if needed.

I moved to the front left and sat. All the seats were folded out/down except mine....:(

salmonman78
Fri, 03-06-2009, 04:13 AM
friggin internet. Been down forever at my house and I can't do crap at work dealing with torrents...about all I can do is read Wikipedia since its a resource....and my brain hurts.

But I'm back...thank god its fixed....and screw you hughesnet!

Board of Command
Sun, 03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I just heated up some fish fillets to make a sandwich for tomorrow's lunch, and then found out that there's mold on my bread. Now I have to eat the fish fillets and buy lunch tomorrow.

Goddamn it.

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I guess buying some more bread is out of the question?

Board of Command
Sun, 03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I guess buying some more bread is out of the question?
At 11 PM, yes.

itadakimasu
Sun, 03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I had to do a speech for my speech class yesterday and spent at least 8-12 hours preparing it and all of that was based on my powerpoint I made...

Get to class and the teacher doesn't have a key for the podium, which has the computer / projector remote in it ( 2 months into this class.. wtf ) so i had to just wing my speech and it went horrible. I was perfectly prepared to do it w\ the powerpoint I had prepared, but without that I just had a weak speech outline and 2 pages of works cited.

enkoujin
Mon, 03-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Daylight savings time started yesterday [as opposed to the scheduled day a few weeks from this point], where we had to change our clocks one hour forward, meaning I lost an hour of sleep.

This adds to my everlasting deficit of several hundred hours of sleep lost.

Screw the projected conservation of millions of oil barrels or the minuscule 0.03% savings in electrical consumption this year. I want my one-hour back.

On another note that correlates with the aforementioned topic, napping increases diabetes risk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7931508.stm). God damn it.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Interesting. Like they said though, I wouldn't concentrate on napping being a risk factor too much. Not until they sort out whether it's "Napping causes diabetes" or "Those who nap are more likely to get diabetes because they also tend to do X activity".

Nap if you need to. Just stay healthy.

Tobydelaroka
Mon, 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
McDonald's delivery boys always forgot my fuckin straw.

Xelbair
Tue, 03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
McDonald has got delivery?
New to me - they don't do that here... i feel like i live in ancient times compared to you.

Psyke
Tue, 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM
24hr delivery where I live. :)

RyougaZell
Tue, 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
24hr delivery where I live. :)

We get your Hambuguer within 24hr or its free?

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Nadouku
Tue, 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I had to send my PlayStation 3 for swap since my last one couldn't read any discs, even after trying all of their suggestions at their website. Costed about $200 to get it swapped.

itadakimasu
Tue, 03-10-2009, 03:20 PM
eww....

you should have dismantled your ps3 and cleaned the laser.

I bought 2 60gb ps3's for $250 total off craigslist because they couldn't read disks... cleaned both, one worked perfect after cleaning and sold for $400+ on ebay, the other didn't work and sold for $200.

That probably sounded bad.... like you have a 50/50 chance...

Kraco
Tue, 03-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Do they only work with some Sony proprietary blu-ray drive, or can't you simply get the cheapest one from your computer store and put it inside to replace the broken one?

Nadouku
Tue, 03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm not good at dismembering my PlayStation 3, so I wouldn't even consider that an option. My guess is that they work on some Sony blu-ray drive that my local computer store seems to have a lack of.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Damn, is this common or something? Playstation 3 lense stuff-up? I think mine's pretty dusty right now....

I so want Maccas delivered. It's probably not a very cost effective service in Australia though. We only just got free Wi-Fi here in February.

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Damn, is this common or something? Playstation 3 lense stuff-up? I think mine's pretty dusty right now....
Common with all PlayStations that don't have flip-tops. I cracked my older model PS2 open at least a dozen times over the years.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Damn, and here I thought I escaped cursed hardware failures like the Red Ring of Death by choosing a PS3.

Xelbair
Wed, 03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
my friends have ps3 for 1 year and they didn't had even one problem with lenses - i have mine for half a year and still no problem.

masamuneehs
Thu, 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM
going back a few days, i'm pretty disgusted with what some people are bitching and moaning about regarding this economic downturn.

seriously people. video games are too expensive? that's what you've got beef with? i'm almost hoping that what Animeniax said comes true (though I don't think it will, the system works on the myth of prosperity for all, and with world governments borrowing against the future to keep the myth afloat, it's a bandage over the dam breaking). people need to figure out their priorities.

so the other day I had a student in my class, an adult student. he was complaining about how he could not go on his annual thousand dollar skiing vacation this year because of the economy. i wanted to punch him in the face.

also, as for "video game sales are doing okay". Here are a few other products (in America) whose sales have not been affected by the depression: alcohol, guns, fast food. So it's not about "what's good enough to be bought?" it's about "how stupidly are people going to spend their money?"

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Here are a few other products (in America) whose sales have not been affected by the depression: alcohol, guns, fast food.
2 of those I understand. What do people do when they celebrate? Stuff their faces and drink themselves stupid. What do people do when they're depressed? Stuff their faces and drink themselves stupid. It's a win-win situation for alcohol and fast food.

What's the deal with guns? Are gun-nuts stockpiling weapons in preparation for the all out war that is sure to come of Obama's actions in the White House?

Mr Squiggles
Thu, 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Give them a break, they're only trying to protect their families from the Obamocalipse.

itadakimasu
Fri, 03-13-2009, 09:56 AM
I know that in a global perspective it would only be hurting one area and helping another...but I think we ( president obama ) should give serious consideration to bring jobs back into america. I think outsourcing jobs to foreign countries needs to stop.

no offense to all the great techs in india that work hard and do a great job even with their heavy accents sometimes getting in the way of clear communication... we need to create jobs, and we need to make people feel comfortable spending money.

Also, we need to start planning out the legalization, taxation, and distribution of marijuana in america. Take a huge chunk of the 50-100 billion spent annually fighting the "war on drugs" take in the tax money, and put out a safe product to the people who chose to use it. Slap a surgeon generals warning on the cigaweed and collect fines from people who smoke it in public. WIN WIN situation. Spending goes down, Taxes come in, crime goes down.

Paper
Fri, 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
I know that in a global perspective it would only be hurting one area and helping another...but I think we ( president obama ) should give serious consideration to bring jobs back into america. I think outsourcing jobs to foreign countries needs to stop.

no offense to all the great techs in india that work hard and do a great job even with their heavy accents sometimes getting in the way of clear communication... we need to create jobs, and we need to make people feel comfortable spending money.

Also, we need to start planning out the legalization, taxation, and distribution of marijuana in america. Take a huge chunk of the 50-100 billion spent annually fighting the "war on drugs" take in the tax money, and put out a safe product to the people who chose to use it. Slap a surgeon generals warning on the cigaweed and collect fines from people who smoke it in public. WIN WIN situation. Spending goes down, Taxes come in, crime goes down.

they should just make weed legal and war on drugs money invested in things we actually need like jobs kindof what you was saying I believe.....

Animeniax
Fri, 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Wouldn't that hurt jobs in law enforcement, corrections, and the judicial system? Without the multitude of drug-related crimes, there would be less need for people in these job fields.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
yes, but no.
they can move to units that deal with heavier drugs trafficking, or join the FDA and make new pharmaceutical drugs acceptance rate higher.

Animeniax
Fri, 03-13-2009, 12:48 PM
yes, but no.
they can move to units that deal with heavier drugs trafficking, or join the FDA and make new pharmaceutical drugs acceptance rate higher.
That would require education in chemistry, biology, pharmacy and pharmacology. All of these disciplines are beyond the grasp of your average cop or prison guard. Lawyers and judges would have the smarts, but maybe not the interest to pursue the sciences.

Basically it would require changing people's career aspirations from an early age so that more kids would want to become scientists.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
not really, most of the people you mentioned have a great amount of work still left (police is always undermanned. 'they never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country, and so do we'), the prison system will feel it's quota in no times (thanks to all the cops who could chase real criminals) and the legal system is always full of work.

the only people who would lose their jobs are those who deal directly with drugs. some CSI members, drugs analysis and co. and they already have the knowledge to move into pharmaceutical companies (or develop drug rehab methods).

it's like Orwell said (or somewhat resembling what he wrote): it's the same as paying someone to dig tunnels in the ground and then paying someone else to fill those tunnels. we're making sure nothing could improve our lives.

itadakimasu
Mon, 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I found a ding in my car just now... its very small and on the trunk next to the light... but still :(

Animeniax
Mon, 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I found a ding in my car just now... its very small and on the trunk next to the light... but still :(
I think there's some law of the universe concerning that. The more you wish for something to not happen, the more likely it is to happen. When my tail-light got cracked a little, I considered getting it replaced. But not getting it replaced seems to have kept my car safe from other damage.

Animeniax
Tue, 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
On XanBcoo's suggestion I got vanilla-flavored protein mix to add to my daily oatmeal. I've been on that program for almost 2 months, then the local store runs out of the protein mix I've been using.

So I try another protein mix and it's disgusting. Using the same prep method, the mix is grainy, lumpy, and flavorless and the oatmeal tastes horrible, almost worse than oatmeal by itself. I'm going to try a different method tomorrow but that's $36 bottle of protein mix I'll be throwing or giving away if this doesn't work out, not to mention my health program will be thrown off track without my daily oatmeal and protein.

Sigh, almost at the final days of the program and this happens.

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
On XanBcoo's suggestion I got vanilla-flavored protein mix to add to my daily oatmeal. I've been on that program for almost 2 months, then the local store runs out of the protein mix I've been using.

So I try another protein mix and it's disgusting. Using the same prep method, the mix is grainy, lumpy, and flavorless and the oatmeal tastes horrible, almost worse than oatmeal by itself. I'm going to try a different method tomorrow but that's $36 bottle of protein mix I'll be throwing or giving away if this doesn't work out, not to mention my health program will be thrown off track without my daily oatmeal and protein.

Sigh, almost at the final days of the program and this happens.
That really sucks. I've run through about 5 different brands and mixes of protein powders before I found the ones that worked and tasted the best. What were you using before, and what are you eating now?

I've heard a lot of people recommend Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey powder. That's what I'm eating now, and it tastes really good. It also mixes very easily, as opposed to the mass gainer which I was eating before (which felt like cake batter when it mixed).

The cheapest way to get the stuff online is from this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html. There's a store in Houston I go to which sells it for the same price, but buying it from GNC or from ON means you'll be paying $20 or so more for it.

Animeniax
Tue, 03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
That really sucks. I've run through about 5 different brands and mixes of protein powders before I found the ones that worked and tasted the best. What were you using before, and what are you eating now?

I've heard a lot of people recommend Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey powder. That's what I'm eating now, and it tastes really good. It also mixes very easily, as opposed to the mass gainer which I was eating before (which felt like cake batter when it mixed).

The cheapest way to get the stuff online is from this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html. There's a store in Houston I go to which sells it for the same price, but buying it from GNC or from ON means you'll be paying $20 or so more for it.

I was using Weider Muscle Builder Advanced just by blind pick at the store, and I got lucky because it mixes very smooth and tastes great. The new supplement is Muscletech Nitro-Tech and it mixes up in hot water like cake batter too. I'm going to try cold water and blend it more thoroughly tomorrow, but the taste is hardly palatable either way.

I'm thinking of ordering online from bodybuilding.com, but I only have 21 days until I leave, and it takes 7 days to get anything out here, so I'd get maybe 14 days of use. Not sure if it's worth it. Sadly the selection we have available here is pretty limited so I might have to stick with the Nitro-tech crap, though it will mean giving up on the oatmeal plan. Can't stand the taste.

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Hah, my brother uses Nitro-tech as well. He complained about how it was hard to mix too, but he never mentioned the taste.

If you really like eating oatmeal, you could always find another source of protein to eat with it. That, or just find some other combination of carbs and protein for breakfast, like egg whites and toast/bagels.

Animeniax
Tue, 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Hah, my brother uses Nitro-tech as well. He complained about how it was hard to mix too, but he never mentioned the taste.

If you really like eating oatmeal, you could always find another source of protein to eat with it. That, or just find some other combination of carbs and protein for breakfast, like egg whites and toast/bagels.
It's not so much that I like eating oatmeal, but my cholesterol is probably dangerously high, so I'm trying to eat right. Like you said before, oatmeal is almost a perfect food because it gives you protein as well as fiber and other nutrients while being low in the bad stuff. Unfortunately it tastes terrible, which was the original purpose of the protein mix. Kind of silly to pay $28/bag for what was essentially flavoring, but the added bonus of getting the protein supplement made it worth it.

The nitro-tech product and some other protein supplements I've seen have less sugar and therefore less taste. The Weider advanced is 180 cal/scoop compared to 110 for the nitro-tech stuff.

I eat eggs almost every breakfast, but it's a powered egg mix so it has protein but also cholesterol and whatever bad stuff is in egg yolks. Thanks for the advice and encouragement man, I really appreciate it.

KitKat
Thu, 03-26-2009, 02:41 AM
I hate being alone in crowds, especially when such crowds are made up of people who all know each other. It would have been better if I'd thought of bringing something to do, but I hadn't even been able to bring my knitting, so all I could do was stand in the corner and stare vacantly into the crowd. Also, this guy I met last week totally walked right by me without recognizing me. Twice. And it's not as if we'd just met in passing, because he was sitting next to me at a table for 6 hours on Saturday. >_<

Stitch
Thu, 03-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Gee, you knit? That's gangster.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IRtcOuRJmp8/SFlUbVKST5I/AAAAAAAABNo/tQFBtYLn4N4/s400/gunit1.jpg

Animeniax
Thu, 03-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I can't wait until the US invades Iran. We're massing troops and supplies at the border. It's on in 2009, Iranian bitches!

Animeniax
Thu, 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I hate being alone in crowds, especially when such crowds are made up of people who all know each other. It would have been better if I'd thought of bringing something to do, but I hadn't even been able to bring my knitting, so all I could do was stand in the corner and stare vacantly into the crowd. Also, this guy I met last week totally walked right by me without recognizing me. Twice. And it's not as if we'd just met in passing, because he was sitting next to me at a table for 6 hours on Saturday. >_<
I know the feeling. It's one of the reasons I failed out of university the first time around. I'd go to classes 5-10 minutes before they started and sit quietly there while all the individual groups hung out and chatted together.

What I've found is that the grass is never as green on the other side as you might imagine. Interacting with some of these groups was some of the most boring and useless affairs ever, almost as bad as reading stitch's troll jobs. I'd have preferred to stay in my own world, maybe with some music to drown out the chatter.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't quite get how failing to mix = failing out of uni though...or do you mean you left because you couldn't stand it?

I'm kind of weird when it comes to mixing with people at a crowd. I can get along perfectly fine with people (or so I'm told). For example, in our prac group last week, where we were randomly assigned members, who knows how long we would have worked in miserable silence had I not taken the initiative and broke the ice.

On the other hand though, sometimes I fall into "quiet mode" where I don't really talk. It usually happens in situations where I'm not obliged to, like the "sitting in lecture" example. I'll feel perfectly fine just randomly eavesdropping on whoever would be nearby, or just staring off blankly, thinking about stuff or nothing at all.

I suppose lectures is a different case than what KitKat's talking about though (party?). If it's a party, the whole idea is to talk and have fun etc. At those times, I too would feel slightly awkward being by myself. I was lucky last year when I attended a friend's 20th to have a guy I knew. We then retreated to the front of the place and took the job of greeting all the guests who arrived.

As for the guy who walked right past....yeah. It's better than what happened to my friend though. There was a guy she knew (dunno how well she knew him), and when they walked past each other on the street, he stared her down as he did.

----------------------
Edit: My own bitch.

The Thermalright HR-01 PLUS is a heatsink that's hard to get a hold of in Australia. I've located 2 online stores that sell it, one for $96 and another for $55 (yeah, I know, lolwut?).

Thing is, both stores have listed the product as out of stock since January, and I've been checking both sites daily from that point onwards. Earlier this month, the store that sold it for $96 had it in stock, but I continued to wait for the $55 one to show up (who took it off their catalog until an ETA was confirmed).

Now that I was growing a bit impatient and was actually considering the more expensive store, they're now out of stock too.

So now what, another 3 months??

2nd bitch: I want to change to a new internet provide who'll give me >100% increase in my current download quota for -$5 from my current bill. Thing is, during the transfer I'll have 14-18 days of downtime. :(

Animeniax
Thu, 03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't quite get how failing to mix = failing out of uni though...or do you mean you left because you couldn't stand it?

----------------------
Edit: My own bitch.

The Thermalright HR-01 PLUS is a heatsink that's hard to get a hold of in Australia. I've located 2 online stores that sell it, one for $96 and another for $55 (yeah, I know, lolwut?).

2nd bitch: I want to change to a new internet provide who'll give me >100% increase in my current download quota for -$5 from my current bill. Thing is, during the transfer I'll have 14-18 days of downtime. :(Yeah, that's one of the reasons, I couldn't stand it after a while. I was pretty self-conscious about not fitting in back in those days.

Is the cooling performance worth$96 or even $55 for this heatsink? Maybe get something cheaper that does almost as good a job. Unless you're seriously overclocking, you should be ok with the lesser unit. Is it even worth it to overclock that seriously?

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Just spent about 4 hours in the ICU waiting room with a woman who thinks you need to beat your kids because "if they don't submit to their parents early in life, they won't submit to God later on" :rolleyes:

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, that's one of the reasons, I couldn't stand it after a while. I was pretty self-conscious about not fitting in back in those days.

Is the cooling performance worth$96 or even $55 for this heatsink? Maybe get something cheaper that does almost as good a job. Unless you're seriously overclocking, you should be ok with the lesser unit. Is it even worth it to overclock that seriously?

It's not really necessary for cooling performance, but I'm probably going to go fanless with that to reduce fan noise. It'll be particularly useful when I leave it on at night to encode stuff, since CPU usage is maxed out (rather than just idling and downloading).

I'm going for a few nexus fans too to replace the tri-cools at the back.

I guess it's more a luxury than a need.

Just spent about 4 hours in the ICU waiting room with a woman who thinks you need to beat your kids because "if they don't submit to their parents early in life, they won't submit to God later on"

Haha...yeah, I think I'll prefer my issues. That's a weird one.:p

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
I am livid right now. Jim Gaffigan just "stole" one of my jokes.

I'm in the middle of watching his new Comedy Central special "King Baby" which is airing right now, and he started talking about ketchup. He then mentioned those upside-down ketchup bottles and how embarrassingly long it took us as a species to figure out that conundrum.

"Damn, this ketchup won't pour out"
"Why don't we...make a bottle with the lids on the bottom?"
"No no, I'd rather slap the bottom of this bottle and look like I have a learning disability."

I wrote that joke down about a year ago and was saving it in case I ever tried out standup. It's useless now. THANKS A LOT JIM GAFFIGAN! I seriously feel ripped off.

(PS, seriously watch his new special, it's hilarious. I love the man)

Assertn
Sun, 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Its ok XanBcoo, even very successful comedians steal jokes. Take Dane Cook for example...

itadakimasu
Mon, 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Dane Cook is still funny though, not that I condone joke theft. I never researched his joke theft.

on the same topic, I watched this video of Joe Rogan punking Carlos Mencia who's real name turns out to be Ned something... pretty funny stuff if you have no idea that carlos mencia isn't mexican.

Joe Rogan has some good stuff "OH SH#@$@, It's that Fear Facta guy! he does comedy?!?"

Death BOO Z
Mon, 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
things that I loath about my job:

1. some woman comes in and asks to buy a bag for her son (who's three years old), instead of saying we don't have anything decent for that age, I try to push her the only non-pink bag we have that size, which happens to have Naruto pictures on it. she says:
"I don't know, what movies are these guys from?"
"they're from Naruto, it's aired on the cartoon channel. it's all the rage nowadays"
"I don't know, are they (the characters) aggressive?"
"oh no, it's completely child friendly"

also, a guy came a few days ago and had a wallet with the leaf symbol imprinted on it, I asked to look at it, and then he said "it's not what you think it is! I got it from a friend, in new york", but I know better. narutard.

2. one of the coworker's daughter is having her bar-mitzvha (it's a jewish thing, don't ask), and I'm invited. fuck, it's a part time shit job (though, it's pretty good for a part time shit job), I'm not supposed to have to go through those tedious workplace politics.
am I supposed to come? is it just a courtesy invitation? I can ask to work the shift during the party, but then, am I excused from bringing a present? if so, screw it. If I'm getting her something, then I should at the very least get a meal out of it.

last thing: I don't know what to put as my custom title (A.K.A: suck on this, everyone who doesn't have one)

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Great weather out yesterday. Ideal basketball weather. Would've been a great day for basketball. Yup...

But it wasn't. Just 5 min. into the game, some old school tard swinged the ball for a pass throwing his hand into my F-ing face with a 80 mp/h! :mad: My teeth went through both my lips, but the upper one was worse, looking pretty deep. Some fellow basketballers even mentioned stitching.

I've talked about it with a friend who's parents are doctors. Since I have no insurance since recently, I'm gonna drop by and let the parents look at it and get some medicine for it from them. If I need stitches I'm screwed.

How I love basketball.

It seems karma's a bitch.
A couple of days ago, being in an overly crowded tram, I was getting pretty irritated. I hate walking behind people who think they're the only ones walking out of the tram and off the station and some dude even stopped right in front of me. Getting even madder, I started swearing at the guy in which he replied with swearing. He shouldn't have done that. I walked to him and he immediately made a stab movement to my chest, punching it only though, having nothing in his hands. Letting my anger get the best of me I punched him in his lip, making it bleed. I shouldn't have done that. At that moment a friend of mine held me back telling me to leave it since he sees this guy often being mentally not a 100%, F-ing around with other people. If only he had told me that sooner...

What goes around, comes around. Ten fold. :(

Edit: Typo's, spelling.

darkshadow
Tue, 03-31-2009, 05:09 AM
That sucks, but dude no insurance? Wtf are you doing, that pretty much makes you an illegal resident.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-31-2009, 05:48 AM
That sucks, but dude no insurance? Wtf are you doing, that pretty much makes you an illegal resident.

Is there a connection between insurance and residency abroad? And what insurance is this....private health cover?

Kraco
Tue, 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM

A few years ago I actually lived a couple of months without an insurance when my previous one terminated (it had an age limit) and I was slow to get a new one. Even though I've never had absolutely any use for insurances, it still felt weird knowing you don't have one. Damn brainwashing...

itadakimasu
Tue, 03-31-2009, 08:09 AM
I cancelled my 401k a few weeks ago and it still hasn't taken effect on my paycheck... i'd rather have the $95 deduction in my pocket and not have it suddenly become $45-50, and not have access to it.

Idk why I even signed up for 401k... i'm not retiring any time soon, and all it really equates to is me making less money.

Insurance is also just meaningless. Everytime I've gone to the doctor w\ insurance, they still bill me after I goto the doctor and pay copay so, i dont see what the point of that is either.

car insurance.... i've had car insurance since i started driving and the only time I needed to have a claim or anything was when my last car got hit, and then I ended up having to pay $500 to get my car fixed anyhow and the other person wasn't held responsible because they said that they didn't know who was driving the car... even though I had plenty of pictures of their car and police report clearly showing they'd hit my car.

home owners insurance? what a bunch of BS. My parents have lived in their house since 1988 and have never had a home owners insurance claim. They need foundation repair but... oh... that insurance they've been paying for 20+ years w\ nothing in return just happens to not cover that !

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-31-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't know about overseas, but here, private health cover means you get a number of free or discounted trips to an optometrist/dentist/physiotherapist etc. Doctor's fees are a little different. That's supported by the government subsidies, so if the doctor charges more than what the government is willing to absorb, you pay the difference.

The message insurance companies have been pushing at me is:

"Insurance is a money pool. People pile money in and help pay for the CEO's yacht those who are in need."

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM

Haha! Being an illegal resident is actually the reason why I don't have insurance. I'm not exactly illegal, it's just that I'm not registered as a citizen.

Edit: My lip's still swollen but it healed pretty nicely. Still gonna get concent from the friend's parents. Probably gonna need some medicine.

Animeniax
Tue, 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
I cancelled my 401k a few weeks ago and it still hasn't taken effect on my paycheck... i'd rather have the $95 deduction in my pocket and not have it suddenly become $45-50, and not have access to it.

Idk why I even signed up for 401k... i'm not retiring any time soon, and all it really equates to is me making less money.
This is foolish thinking that will have you still working when you're 65. My parents can both retire but all of their friends still have to work in their mid-60s because they didn't save enough throughout their lives for their retirement. It's a given that money put away earlier in life grows exponentially towards retirement.

Is that $95/check or $190/month really the difference between surviving your current situation and not?

darkshadow
Tue, 03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Haha! Being an illegal resident is actually the reason why I don't have insurance. I'm not exactly illegal, it's just that I'm not registered as a citizen.

Edit: My lip's still swollen but it healed pretty nicely. Still gonna get concent from the friend's parents. Probably gonna need some medicine.

Oh I see, well in that case that just sucks.

Is there a connection between insurance and residency abroad? And what insurance is this....private health cover?

There is no private health cover here, just one: "healthinsurance", which several provide. But this was made mandatory, everyone who doesn't have it, is illegal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_the_Netherlands

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I am enraged at the general myopic stupidity of my so-called legistative "representatives." The only thing they represent is their own self interests and whatever flavor-of-the-month kneejerk fix (ultimately causing more problems that require them to repeal aforementioned kneejerk fix) will let them get relected.

Seriously, fuck the US Congress.

In other words, that makes it a Wednesday.

Xelbair
Thu, 04-02-2009, 05:40 AM
It is the same here Ryll.
I guess that it is same everywhere in the world.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-02-2009, 05:42 AM
People who don't run the tap with cold water after using it hot. Bitches.

itadakimasu
Thu, 04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm doing research for a speech I have to do for my speech class and I found this video of the virtual townhall meeting Obama had in which around 10 of the top 50 questions were related to marijuana law reform...

When obama read the question about legalizing, regulating, and taxing marijuana, he read it as if it were a joke, and all the people who were in attendance where he was were laughing as well, as if it were a joke.

I know the last thing Obama needs is people hating him for considering this option... But, it is a serious issue and as a country we, the united states need to move beyond moral laws and start paying more attention to scientific facts to drive our policies.

Oh... and there was a related video on youtube of Rush Limbaugh talking about this that just reminded me of how much of a douche he is. Oxycontin, A-Ok, "Doobies" horrible

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm willing to bet if you slapped in a rider (because you know how they weren't going to sign any more bills with pork spending in them...yeah, about that) legalizing small quantities of cocaine for recreational use, it would be on the fast track to Obama's office.

Nadouku
Thu, 04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
It started sleeting this time around and has continued over April. Now, I would be surprised if it started snowing in the Summer time, but that shouldn't happen... or would it?

itadakimasu
Sat, 04-04-2009, 01:53 PM
So, this african guy in my speech class got in front of the class to give his persuasive speech today. He opens his powerpoint and it takes some of us a few seconds to gather what we're seeing on this 8x8 projection screen...
it's a penis... with some sort of disease going on w\ it. This slide was followed up by a few more w\ similar shock & awe images.

My speech on legalizing marijuana went rather well though, a few people commented that it was the best one given :)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Are you bitching because his powerpoint worked, because you saw a deformed penis, or simply a follow-up?

Seems like your speech worked well enough without the powerpoint anyhow ;)

Nadouku
Sat, 04-04-2009, 07:39 PM
What was he trying to persuade that involves that kind of imagery?

itadakimasu
Mon, 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM
he was trying to stress the importance of safe sex... i was bitching because I didn't want to be looking at things like that, and didn't enjoy getting burnt up like that..

I just thought though, that maybe it helped my speech... Can't do much worse... this guy just shows a room full of people pictures of <0<ks!

complich8
Sun, 04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
So .... does anybody else really passionately hate the diggbar already?

KitKat
Sun, 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I spent the day thinking I was locked out of my house, and walked to my brother's place in the rain, waiting for my roommate to come home since the only place I have her phone number is on my phone which was in my room. Hours later, I find out that the door wasn't locked, it was just jammed. I could have gotten in all along. Ugh. You wouldn't think that I have an engineering degree.

Kraco
Mon, 04-13-2009, 01:55 AM
If it was hours later, you could have used the time to bake something for your dear brother.

enkoujin
Wed, 04-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I love my friends.

So one of my friends suggested we get Left4Dead to play. My friends looked it up on Valve and found a four-pack. It was $150 for a 4-pack. Pretty good, we thought. That comes to about ~$37.50. However, the catch was that it was in USD. Since the value of the Canadian dollar astronomically fell from "par", this translates to about an extra ~$10 CAD more per person, making it about $47 CAD per person. Since my friend bought the 4-pack, it was expected that those who wanted to be in the pack had to pay up.

I got the game today.

It was amazing. Curiosity awakens me to compare the prices from the one we bought from Valve and my national electronics retail store (Best Buy's Canadian subsidary to you Americans), and it ended up being $30 CAN, which equates to approximately $25 USD. Using basic arithmetic, Valve is enjoying one of our $50 bills.

Also, my friends teamkilled my other friend and I after we reached one of the spawning point AND RESCUED THEM.

Go figure.

Oh, and our national state media's streaming news website is not working at all at the moment.

GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTT DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

darkshadow
Thu, 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
"Also, my friends teamkilled my other friend and I after we reached one of the spawning point AND RESCUED THEM"

This is actually an achievement.

enkoujin
Thu, 04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Where?

http://www.steampowered.com/status/l4d/

I can't find it in the above link...

itadakimasu
Fri, 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
what started as a simple project of blocking users from going to myspace, youtube, and a few other sites quickly got out of hand...

I was going to block traffic on a per computer basis using a custom host file, and then have requests for those sites goto my iis server w\ a blank white page.

I found opendns though, and it looked promising and my supervisor thought so too. So i set it to block adware and phishing sites, and then youtube, myspace and facebook.

I get to work today though and my supervisor blocked almost every category of websites, this one included which gets blocked as P2P / File Sharing. My first trip to my now blocked ebay garnished a verbal WTF?!

I feel like the office nazi now.

darkshadow
Fri, 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Where?

http://www.steampowered.com/status/l4d/

I can't find it in the above link...

The "BACK 2 HELP" achievement.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-17-2009, 07:19 PM
The "BACK 2 HELP" achievement.

Oh, I thought you mean rescuing someone and getting killed in the process was an achievement :p

itadakimasu
Tue, 04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I was bidding on a computer on ebay and there was like 16 seconds left and i was going to increase my bid and accidentally put 565 instead of 365 and then in the time it took to back page and re-enter it some tool had outbid me w\ $361... booo

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Wow man, that sucks. Though I haven't experienced the feeling of being outbid like that, I can imagine it. Some things you just have to get :p.

Well, I've been trying to change over to a new ISP for the last month or so. They don't use any mutual ADSL2 hardware save the physical copper line, so I had to do the following:

`1) Check compatibility with new ISP (passed)
2) Disconnect current service (Had to use up my remaining 20 days because they forward-bill me.
3) Disconnect attempt #2 - told me they'll take 2-3 business days to physically disconnect it. Ended up taking like 9.

Finally it's disconnected now. I'm using a rental 3G connection (2GB free quota) while the new ISP sets us up. It's supposed to be up to 10 business days, so I'm hoping the estimate is right. 2GB doesn't last that long.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping up with anime using DDL sources on my uni connection with ~10GB which I bought for this situation. They blocked both P2P and irc traffic.

Not really a bitch, but it's just a tad inconvenient. Guess I'll play some more Fate/Stay Night to pass time. Or get on with my assignment, but you know....:rolleyes::D

Kraco
Wed, 04-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Meanwhile, I'm keeping up with anime using DDL sources on my uni connection with ~10GB which I bought for this situation. They blocked both P2P and irc traffic.

I can certainly understand blocking p2p, it happens here as well with uni connections, but blocking irc? You have some pretty nazi data administration over there.

Xelbair
Wed, 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
"Blocking p2p in polish university is like trying to move the sea with one glass"
they'll always find way around this blockade.

and my bitch now:
I have study damned biology for test(my second most hated subject, first one is German), and my nazi-teache... i mean my German teacher is going to enforce more nazi...i mean strict rules(i already have test each day!) and she thinks that we don't have any more subjects other than German to learn...

Now I'm gonna either screw it and stop caring about it and just get grades to pass, or forget about bicycle and games and P&P RPGs and learn... yeah choice is obvious - i fu***ng hate German...

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I have study damned biology for test(my second most hated subject, first one is German), and my nazi-teache... i mean my German teacher is going to enforce more nazi...i mean strict rules(i already have test each day!) and she thinks that we don't have any more subjects other than German to learn...
I thought German was the official language of Poland...

I kid, I kid.

I've had Literature teachers who worked that way, and Chemistry teachers...and Chemistry professors...and physics professors...and Statics/Dynamics Professors...and Thermodynamics Professors...and Fluid Dynamics Professors, and Heat Transfer Professors who worked that way too. It's not going to get any better the higher up the education ladder you go. So ultimately, you end up doing what you can. Take good notes in class, review them before the exams, and just take it easy. Overstudying isn't going to help, you'll just burn yourself out.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Now I'm gonna either screw it and stop caring about it and just get grades to pass, or forget about bicycle and games and P&P RPGs and learn... yeah choice is obvious - i fu***ng hate German...

I noticed forgetting about guitar isn't an option. ;)

My study habits have been really bad ever since I got into uni, so I shouldn't be advising you on that. :p

RyougaZell
Thu, 04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
what started as a simple project of blocking users from going to myspace, youtube, and a few other sites quickly got out of hand...

I was going to block traffic on a per computer basis using a custom host file, and then have requests for those sites goto my iis server w\ a blank white page.

I found opendns though, and it looked promising and my supervisor thought so too. So i set it to block adware and phishing sites, and then youtube, myspace and facebook.

I get to work today though and my supervisor blocked almost every category of websites, this one included which gets blocked as P2P / File Sharing. My first trip to my now blocked ebay garnished a verbal WTF?!

I feel like the office nazi now.

You sir are a nazi.

I have nothing against the office security, but the local dude is an asshole as I bitched before.

They ordered him to buy a tool to block sites (because they are lazy to do so themselves) and their current proxy, BlueCoat, ends falling about 2 to 3 times a day. Some of us guess its a test version.

Anyway... he was ordered to buy it to block sport pages, specially football (soccer). Yet all the sport pages are open while all the videogame sites are blocked. Its idiotic actually for there are very few gamers here versus the number of sport fanatics.

I had bitched about this before. Just felt to do so again after your post.

New bitch... I hate this masks. Damn swine flu. At least we get friday off thanks to the Dia del Trabajo.

Animeniax
Thu, 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
New bitch... I hate this masks. Damn swine flu. At least we get friday off thanks to the Dia del Trabajo.
I just returned from Cancun the day before the swine flu hysteria went mainstream. Funny thing is, I had the flu a couple days before I went to Mexico. Maybe I'm the root of all evil after all?

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I coughed a lot today in my first class and wondered how many people I was making uneasy.

I'll believe the hysteria when pigs fly.

enkoujin
Fri, 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Deadline Dangers:

Picked up the scholarship form this Monday
Discovered submission date for mentioned scholarship form was on May 1 yesterday
Paid the post office $20 for "priority" delivery, endured my father's nagging about procrastination, survived my worries about the application not being there on May 1
Aforementioned application arrived at destination
Called aforementioned destination to assure its presence there
Learned that the application had to be stamped and dated before May 1 and could still be processed after May 1 (not necessarily due on May 1)

RyougaZell
Sat, 05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I just returned from Cancun the day before the swine flu hysteria went mainstream. Funny thing is, I had the flu a couple days before I went to Mexico. Maybe I'm the root of all evil after all?

We've always known you're evil Ani.

News on Mexico... Churches are closed. Sports will be played without public. I'll be working from home Monday and Tuesday... and more crap. LOL.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Zell is alive! Working at home can't be that bad, right?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-04-2009, 03:45 AM
There's an article that looks pretty useful for my research assignment.

Ironic thing is....it's in Japanese.

Xelbair
Mon, 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Only Psyke has the abilities to translate it i think, i'm still not good enough.

Nadouku
Mon, 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
This lady comes up to me and asks "excuse me, where is the restroom?" I pointed towards the restroom area and she went. Five minutes later, she comes back and tells me it's not there. I personally lead her to the restroom doors and pointed at the sign that said "restroom area". I didn't even say anything the whole time and she went "my, you are pretty rude, ma'm!" I replied "I'm a boy" and she rushed into the restroom without my consent. I think she didn't want to look stupid or something, but whatever.

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I replied "I'm a boy" and she rushed into the restroom without my consent.
:confused:

Because she can only go if you allow her to?

Nadouku
Mon, 05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
She looked like she was waiting for me to say something like "go ahead" or "you may use it". I don't get these kind of people, though. They just seem uneasy.

Xelbair
Tue, 05-05-2009, 06:06 AM
So not only we are confused with your gender...
I hate this situations, i had one inside bus - some woman said "please sit ma'am" i just turned myself to see her(she was behind me) and her look was like "O shi..."

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-05-2009, 06:39 AM
When I can't tell, I tend to look for their boobs. Not entirely foolproof though.

Psyke
Tue, 05-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I can't tell whether some women are pregnant or need to go on diet sometimes, back when I took public transport. Might end up with a rude stare for wanting to give up my seat. :(

As for the gender issue, how about the adam's apple?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-05-2009, 08:49 AM
As for the gender issue, how about the adam's apple?

Hmm, I'll give that a go sometime. Doesn't sound as "fun" though :rolleyes:

Nadouku
Tue, 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't have one, so that's thrown out of the question. :p

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
In high school, when my hair was longer, I was hit on by 2 guys.

In my defense it was dark and we were outside and they realized their mistake in about 10 seconds. That doesn't take away the sting, though :(.

Assertn
Tue, 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I walked into a men's restroom one time and a guy said something like "wrong bathroom, babe" before I turned and looked at him.

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Did you turn around and look at him like this (http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7118/photo49nf9.jpg)?

Abdula
Tue, 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Thats nothing. I was changing my clothes once, don't remember if it was at the beach or what and this guy must have gotten a peek at my lower back, probably just my legs and he went and asked my sister for her hot friend's number. She told him I was her brother and he asked her if she was sure.

The nerve of some people.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 05-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Stop your whining, so you now have two clubs dedicated to you.

never been mistaken for a woman, but I guess it'd help in restaurants and shops.

itadakimasu
Fri, 05-08-2009, 01:14 PM
The bulb is out on my tv... which means no tv or ps3 until tuesday or wednesday : (

replacement bulb was $78, which is good compared to the one I saw first that was the wrong model that was $259

Junior
Fri, 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I walked into a men's restroom one time and a guy said something like "wrong bathroom, babe" before I turned and looked at him.

Not only did he confuse you for a girl briefly, but for a hot one too? :p

Man, you guys getting mistaken for girls is pretty...strange. Especially Abdula. I take it you must have a great set of legs.
(but today, it's hard to really know anyway unless you look at the boobs.)

My bitch would be that my friend got her phone stolen so now I can't contact her. Stupid woman. :( She shouldn't leave it lying around.

David75
Fri, 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Damn idiots at corel for releasing a trial version that is both limited in time AND limited in function.

Are they retards or what?

If I want to try some software, it's precisely for some of the functions!

The example is WinDVD 9.
They state they use the same DNM algorithm Philips use in their flat screens. DNM is said to be the best amongst frame interpolation algorithm for flat screens (too bad philips screen suck due to the panels... other story)

Would you believe retards at Corel thought that would be a good idea to prevent the trial version to activate the DNM functions?

So those retards think someone would want to buy their crap by testing what is a bloated video player with nothing new? Without trying for themselves wether the DNM algorithm work well?

When you propose a trial you either limit it, but do it well like 2 minutes playback max, or watermark or whatever...
Or full functionality but for a limited time.
But striping what makes your soft special and having a time limit too is really retarted.

End of bitching

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Got my car towed for the first time today.

I know it's probably not likely that any towing company will get glowing reviews, but the comments on their citysearch page (http://austin.citysearch.com/profile/10235351/austin_tx/big_a_towing.html#profileTab-reviews) are a little unnerving. The woman on the phone also sounded like the kind of miserable hick that would work for such a company.

Figures it'd get towed today, of all days. I've cheated fate before and left it in that spot without it getting towed countless times. Today was the last day of class and I only left it there an hour. I even have to get to a party tonight. Ugh.

Edit: My brother drove me to go pick it up. Went off without incident, thankfully. Though I had to drop 2 hundo to get it back. Damn.

Cal_kashi
Sat, 05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
This week, I had my rear derailleur cable snap, the metal my shoe's cleat uses to attach to my right pedal fell off. I accidentally dropped a bottle (which I hadn't done in years) and a car ran over it. At work I got a flat when my inner-tube failed at the valve stem. My rear hub is getting sticky and acting up. The replacement frame for my current broken one finally arrived but Cannondale forgot to send the headset, so I have to wait another week to swap frames. My saddle bag broke, forcing me to use an old one, which in turn forced me to adjust my position a little, which in turn caused my thigh to rub the corner of my seatpost on every stroke, which resulted a hole in my shorts. Fuck, bad week for my bike.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Time for a new bike?

Cal_kashi
Sat, 05-09-2009, 08:40 AM
I bought the bike in mid October last year, so its only 7 months old. It's a carbon/Aluminum, frame. Pretty too.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/user0_cool/mybikeandkit-1.jpg

Down tube and top tube (the two big ones) are C, the seatstay, chainstay, and seat tube (the three small ones) are all Al. You can't bind C to Al so near the seatpost there is a joint that the Carbon top tube slides into and I'm assuming should be glued) The top tube is coming out of this joint which is evidenced my a crack appearing radially around the tub at this point. The shop says they've never seen this problem before and it's their official opinion that I am just unlucky... which is actually Specialized's official position on me too. =(
This is my 10th broken frame in 10 years. 4 Specizlized FSR's, 3 KHS Flite team, 1 Simoneti, 1 scott, and now 1 Cannondale. *sigh* Seriously man, I'm always just riding along and they break. Though one of the KHS failures could be argued to be my fault because of the mountain biking I did in Santa Cruz one day.
The rest of the drivetrain is still good. If I can figure out my wheel issues, and cannibalize an old pedal I have. I think I can get my bike back in tip-top shape (once I get a hold of my new frame). If I break this frame again, I'm gonna ask Cannondale to upgrade me to a full carbon frame.

Unfortunately the new frame is gonna be black which pisses me off because I really dig my white frame, not to mention I went out and bought a bunch of clothes to match it...

btw if you think THIS is bad, you should see my car. Which I'm avoiding dealing with like the plague, hence all the riding...

David75
Sat, 05-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I remember that day when a chain broke on me in a steep slope, hurts a lot because there's no reciprocating force to the full power you were in just miliseconds before, and you fall flat on the road like in slow motion unable to do a thing to get your balance back...

I remember breaking pedals too, I was one of those with explosive power they say, some stamina, not a mountain guy :D

Damn cycles not tough enough...

Oh beware with all that cycling, when you stop, fat will be very sticky and love you way too much, that bitchy fat...

Cal_kashi
Sat, 05-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I've definitely broken pedals forcefully before ;) But this was different. I was riding along, suddenly couldn't clip in, looked down and I had a broken frog. I have NO idea what/how it could have happened.

One of my worst crashes long long ago was during a sprint workout where we were starting from a standstill and trying to get to max speed asap. So at the snap you start dropping gears and exerting max power. On this day, as I was nearing 35 mph my chain dropped and I went down faster than a cheap whore on Friday night. I know your pain of putting in the power and it having nowhere to go. At least you were going slowly (I'm assuming) and didn't have a couple of teammates behind you ride you like a bogey board on a giant assphalt wave...

Why would I ever stop? :p

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Pinhole leaks somewhere along a pipe going to the upper floor of the house. Replacing copper with PEX tubing (flexible my ass!) in crawlspaces with basically zero acess. Took 3.5 hours to do maybe 20 feet of pipes.

Cal_kashi
Sat, 05-09-2009, 08:34 PM
That had to suck. Worst pipe work I've done is replacing the thermostat and thermocouple in my water heater, not nearly the same thing.

on a side note...Holy shit! this is my thread! For once I feel like I did something that helped people, neat.

XanBcoo
Sun, 05-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I have just contributed significantly to the problems of humanity. I have now joined the ranks of those who cause people to say "never trust anyone".

I am a person with a strong moral compass and try to live my life by it as best I can, but I went against everything I stood for and violated so many layers of trust and self-control I can't even look at myself without feeling disgusted. I don't know who I am. I feel like the worst person in the entire world.

Kraco
Sun, 05-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Sounds like you reached the end of innocence.

Anything you can do to fix it? Or must you now accept you are just another cog in the great machinery, doing whatever it takes to claim your place?

Death BOO Z
Sun, 05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
spill the beans, what did you do that was so horrible that it made you think you're unworthy.

XanBcoo
Sun, 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Sounds like you reached the end of innocence.

Anything you can do to fix it? Or must you now accept you are just another cog in the great machinery, doing whatever it takes to claim your place?
I think I have reached the end, and yeah, I'm kind of slowly letting go of my naivete about life and accepting that eat really is dog-eat-dog out there. People are motivated by self interest, and as selfless as I strive to be, I realize that everyone is capable of doing horrible things if they're presented the opportunity. It takes an unflappably strong will to do the right thing. I guess I don't have that.

On the positive side of it, I think I learned an invaluable life lesson. It's going to save me a lot of heartache in the future.

I don't mean to be melodramatic, it's just that this happened only about an hour ago. My head is still reeling.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Anything you can do to fix it?

I sounds like one of those things you can't fix. Similar to how you can't "unsay" some things to someone.

spill the beans, what did you do that was so horrible that it made you think you're unworthy.

For some reason, I have a hunch it's romance/friendship related.

Death BOO Z
Sun, 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM
probably, but I'd rather hear the story before I start crackin' jokes about it.

So. Xan, is this shameful thing only known to you, or is everybody in the office gonna talk about it tomorrow?

Assertn
Wed, 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Selfishness is an ingrained human behavior. Its what allows us to accomplish great things with our lives and become successful. Even most acts of selflessness have some sort of personal interest involved.

That's the way I see things, anyway.

itadakimasu
Wed, 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
My tv's lamp went out on friday, and the replacement I ordered arrived yesterday. So, I put it in and now the replace lamp light isn't on but the power light goes from green to red and flashes... spent an hour or so messing w\ it and then my wife was messing w\ it and over-torqued the screw that holds the lamp door on... so now you can't take the screw off even w\ pliers : (

haven't had tv since friday... thank god for HULU though, I got to watch 24 last night and it's good quality. They also have the complete arrested development series.

Xelbair
Wed, 05-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Nothing of value was lost - seriously. i mean the programs not the tv itself.
but if you are hardcore-tv-fan it was really bad for you

itadakimasu
Wed, 05-13-2009, 10:00 PM
I was ready to buy a new tv ( cheap $400-450 max ) and spent a little more time on it when i got home today... IT WORKS! I think what it was was this little rubber piece that goes over this metal clip that gets pushed in so that it knows the lamp is covered...

Glad we didn't go out last night and buy a janky 32'' lcd.( or smaller )

Current Bitching :

I won this "as-is" alienware computer on ebay for $212, I was like... ah... cool. It has a phenom 9550, 2 4650's, 4gb ram, but then the seller invoiced me and added $50 for shipping when I thought it was free... went to look at their other items, they have 1327 items and 1320 of them are free shipping while the other 7 all say they will ship with whichever shipper you want..bastards!

also, I had one person who couldn't login this morning because they changed their password the other day and couldn't remember it. A person who works at home called them and they told them there was a problem and that nobody could login. I come in, reset user A's password, call user B and user B is fine and connects right away w\ nothing being done. Then User A is meeting w\ their manager and ask me what was wrong and I tell them the password was being entered incorrectly at which point they start to grill me as if there had to be something else wrong... a simple Ok, thanks would have done much better than to try to explain away stupidity.

itadakimasu
Wed, 05-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I guess I'm the only person w\ anything to whine or bitch about. So be it!

So... the tollway here in Dallas sent my file to collections... ( LOL )

The letter from the collections service says I'm due to pay $110 for a $3 tollway "violation"

I didn't pay it because I had one last year from after I'd sold my car and I paid it.. This one is from 2007 and they billed me for it a few months ago so I just don't get the logic of billing me for something in 2007 after I've already paid for another incident in 2008.

Aside from that, it's from april, 2007 and my car was stolen in march, 2007 so in both cases I wasn't even in posession of my car. Plus I have a toll tag and use the tollway all the time so they could always have automatically billed my account.

$3 really isn't worth the trouble they've obviously put into this and I'm pretty sure in the end, the $3 they were trying to collect is going to turn into alot more money in wasted time and money trying to collect it.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Scraped the car on the way into the garage. Metal can be seen. Paint job will be $800.

Still don't know how it happened. I was sort of distracted though, so that's WHY anyway.

Fuck.

Xrlderek
Thu, 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Math exam tomorrow. I am well prepared except for geometry, I hope those parts won't be hard.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I should be at the Opeth concert right now. My friend backed out at the last minute and I don't want to drive in Memphis by myself, I don't know the town very well and tickets have likely sold out.

My favorite band in the world is playing and I'm stuck at home. Fantastic.

Animeniax
Fri, 05-22-2009, 03:36 AM
I should be at the Opeth concert right now. My friend backed out at the last minute and I don't want to drive in Memphis by myself, I don't know the town very well and tickets have likely sold out.

My favorite band in the world is playing and I'm stuck at home. Fantastic.
You should go it alone. Could be the greatest adventure of your young life.

Cal_kashi
Fri, 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM
You should go it alone. Could be the greatest adventure of your young life.

I second that notion. Some of the wildest nights I've had have started with me heading into the city alone on a bus with my bike to go raving, not knowing how late I'll be out, how I'll get home, where I'll go after the rave, who I'll see there, or how many parties that night will hold.
Go man! Go! Ike! ike! If it sucks you'll have the drive home to regret it. But if y ou don't go you'll forever wonder how awesome it could have been.

and on to the bitching. Got a new frame. Had a Cannondale Six thirteen (carbon/Al) now have a Cannondale System 6. Both 60cm. Swapped over all the components. Now I can't get into my hardest gear in the rear. It's not a derailleur adjustment issue, nor a cable tension issue. Never before have I been faced with a drivetrain issue I couldn't resolve. Nothing can make it work. Got a brand spanking new bike. My fastest bike ever, and I can't access my fastest gear. After work I'm gonna pick up a 12 pack, head to my shop, bribe them with beer and hopefully we'll all be able to fix it.

Xrlderek
Fri, 05-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Math exam tomorrow. I am well prepared except for geometry, I hope those parts won't be hard.
Followup bitch: It didn't go very well. Reading various solution sheets now available on the net did not make me feel any better about it.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-22-2009, 07:16 PM
I took geometry in freshmen year of high school (some intro during middle school too). It was easy. I took geometry again in college as an elective. It was a great deal more difficult. It isn't going to make you feel better now, but it isn't a subset of mathematics to be underestimated.

I also notice now that you didn't call it "Maths." I thought only us language-butchering Americans left off the 's'.

(I would have had a math minor if I had not nearly failed Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations -_-)

Xelbair
Sat, 05-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I never heard maths - even from my English teacher(she speaks British English) - everyone always said math.

And man - go alone for the Opeth!
I nearly missed Iron Maiden concert here for same reason as yours - but it was worth going there alone.

Animeniax
Sat, 05-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Since math is just an abbreviation of mathematics, it would be correct to say maths. It's just that we've spent so long saying just math that the more appropriate version is weird to us. It's kind of like how we yanks say aluminum, when it should be aluminium.

My bitch today: water shortages. Second time in 3 days I get home from a day at work in the sweltering 110+F heat and I can't take a shower. So I'm sitting here at the computer in my grime and filth waiting for the community water tank to be replenished so I can take a shower. Happily this misery ends in about 1 week.

Board of Command
Sat, 05-23-2009, 01:52 PM
My bitch:

A week ago, this guy I knew back in high school agreed to buy one of my computers. I drove over to his home to show him the system, and he was mostly happy with it. He wanted to switch out the motherboard because the one in there right now doesn't have 6-channel audio output (which he needed). We then agreed that he'd have to buy his own motherboard, and in return I would drop the price by $50. We shook on that deal.

Fast forward one week and he still hasn't gotten a new motherboard. Today he told me he was looking at a bunch of other parts in addition to the motherboard. I told him I'm only willing to swap the motherboard; the rest of the system must be intact, otherwise I'm not selling the system.

He called off the deal.

Cal_kashi
Mon, 05-25-2009, 07:55 PM
I misstepped at a camping trip/bachelor party out at lake Sonoma Saturday night and broke my tibia at the ankle and shattered my fibula midway between the ankle an tibia. It took an hour and a half to get from the cam[p site to the Ambulance, another hour to get to the hospital. The messed up the first time putting in my catheter. took two people to get it in eventually. Then spent the next day or so kind of in a haze. And what really sucks, is that I'm going to lose al the fitness I've spent the last 4-8 months building up.... I was faster than I'd even been.

\and I may lose my job.

itadakimasu
Mon, 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM
that sucks.... why was a catheter required?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Swelling would be my first guess.

Animeniax
Tue, 05-26-2009, 06:07 AM
I misstepped at a camping trip/bachelor party out at lake Sonoma Saturday night and broke my tibia at the ankle and shattered my fibula midway between the ankle an tibia. It took an hour and a half to get from the cam[p site to the Ambulance, another hour to get to the hospital. The messed up the first time putting in my catheter. took two people to get it in eventually. Then spent the next day or so kind of in a haze. And what really sucks, is that I'm going to lose al the fitness I've spent the last 4-8 months building up.... I was faster than I'd even been.

\and I may lose my job.
Wow man that sucks, especially about losing the fitness gains. Hopefully you will heal up quickly and have the motivation to work hard and get back to the level you want to be at.

itadakimasu
Fri, 05-29-2009, 07:44 AM
So, for the 2nd week in a row, my paycheck has a $200 deduction on it listed as "med125"

the only thing I can think of is that I added my wife to my medical insurance at the beginning of the month.... but @ $400/ month I'd be better off not having insurance and just keeping cash in a box or something... seriously, what good is insurance if you pay 100x's more in than you will ever get out of it

edit : What is happening is that my company is covering $440 or something like that per month for my insurance. Which is why I was only paying $40/month before for insurance... for some reason adding my wife jumps the plan to $850+ / month and i have to cover the extra $400 which I can't afford to do because my expenses are about to drastically increase....

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
If you're not really getting much out of it, and won't be tempted to spend that extra bit of cash you'd have on hand, it's probably better then to keep it safe or invest it, depending on how much you want to monitor it. If the idea is still to keep that money ready for when you need it, a an investment that you can quickly liquidate would be ideal.

Assertn
Fri, 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah $400/mo for insurance is a ripoff....but considering that medical bills can go even into the $millions, I'd say its possible to get your money's worth...

itadakimasu
Sat, 05-30-2009, 03:51 PM
new bitch for today...

I asked a timewarner CSR if they were really going to cancel HDNet in my area, they assured me that the texas region was not going to be affected by this change. So, I assumed I'd been told the truth until this morning when I tried to playback something from my DVR and it has a message just saying that they've discontinued that channel... but, they have added other HD channels.. as if i watch the channel because it's in HD and not because of it's programming.

I'm pretty pissed because I watch HDNet alot. They show alot of MMA coverage and I generally have 3-5 hours recorded per week from HDNet> I have to wait until july when I move so I can get verizon FiOS! WOOT for FiOS

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Bought a novelty card game (Gloom (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1250.php)) online, and it came with 109 cards...out of 110. The irony alone is punishment enough, but waiting 1-2 months for a replacement from Amazon is going to be worse.

The missing card is key to playing the game, since it is one of the character cards.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Bought a novelty card game (Gloom (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1250.php)) online, and it came with 109 cards...out of 110. The irony alone is punishment enough, but waiting 1-2 months for a replacement from Amazon is going to be worse.

The missing card is key to playing the game, since it is one of the character cards.
Just draw up the missing card on a piece of paper and add it to the deck. Or if stealthiness is required, use a spare garbage card and write in the missing card's information on it and insert it in the deck.

Nadouku
Thu, 06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Don't you hate it when people get mad at you for very little reasons? My brother got mad at me because I didn't do something for him. Seriously?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't you hate it when people get mad at you for very little reasons? My brother got mad at me because I didn't do something for him. Seriously?

That would depend on what he asked you to do, and if you promised to oblige.

My bitch:

I've been having funny bowel motions for like the last....month?

It was weird before, and only happened on Monday mornings. Now it's almost daily. It makes me feel like shit :(

Nadouku
Thu, 06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
That would depend on what he asked you to do, and if you promised to oblige.

I don't ever promise him anything because he's a very lazy bastard that can't get up to do his own share of the work. This time around, he asked me to bike to some store that was literally 30 minutes away... and it was raining... and he wanted a lot of stuff that I probably can't manage to carry on a bike (even with a backpack).

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't ever promised him anything because he's a very lazy bastard who can't get up to do his own share of the work. This time around, he asked me to bike to some store that was literally 30 minutes away... and it was raining... and he wanted a lot of stuff that I probably can't manage to carry on a bike (even with a backpack).

No sympathy for him then.

Xelbair
Fri, 06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I know the feeling Nad, it happens to me usually 3 to 4 times per week.

enkoujin
Fri, 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I am furiously enraged.

For some reason, there's always women hair on me. This happens on a consistent basis. I never ever find mens' hair on my clothes or in my food. I only find women strands of hair on my clothes and food. I do not hang around with women that much, nor do I have a girlfriend yet these strands have a natural affinity to my clothes and my meals.

I am at my breaking point because just now, I found a gigantic stand of hair in my hamburger, God damn it!

Death BOO Z
Fri, 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
My bitch:
we went out (me and two friends) to a coffee place, and aside from from drinks, we order a plate of cookies.

the plate has five cookies.

5. that doesn't work out,. you can't divide it among three people. heck, you can't even divide it among two people equally. what's the freckin' point of giving five cookies in the cookie plate?

so we had to order another cookie, as if that shit wasn't overpriced already. bunch of money digging hoes.

Animeniax
Sat, 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM
My bitch:
we went out (me and two friends) to a coffee place, and aside from from drinks, we order a plate of cookies.

the plate has five cookies.

5. that doesn't work out,. you can't divide it among three people. heck, you can't even divide it among two people equally. what's the freckin' point of giving five cookies in the cookie plate?

so we had to order another cookie, as if that shit wasn't overpriced already. bunch of money digging hoes.
That's a pretty bitchy thing to bitch about. One cookie? *Insert racist joke about your people here*.

samsonlonghair
Sat, 06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm so fucking clumsy. I can't go ten minutes without knocking something over. Then when I turn around to clean up the mess I just made, I knock over something else. I feel like I'm a character in a damn sitcom.

Nadouku
Sat, 06-13-2009, 11:32 PM
You're not alone, buddy. :p

Death BOO Z
Sun, 06-14-2009, 12:32 AM
That's a pretty bitchy thing to bitch about. One cookie? *Insert racist joke about your people here*.

It's a matter of principal, you can't share five cookies for three people, you can't share five cookies with even two people.

It's like the time when I had my birthday in a bar, and the waiter brought us a cake, and then billed us for it. we can't complain, because we ate the cake, but goddammit, the shit was expensive, and we didn't order it.

as for the allegations that my so called 'cheapness' has any relation to my ethnic background, I'll let you guys be the judge of that.

I won't confuse you with currencies, so we'll say that the cookie plate (five cookies) cost 100%. the single cookie costs 42% of that. and they don't allow you to choose the type of cookie you want (half the cookies are filler cookies, the kind you won't eat even if they were free).

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Buy 5 for 52.4% off? That's some extreme bulk-buying discount you got there. Guy must have given you 2 free cookies cuz you appreciated them so much.

Xelbair
Mon, 06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Polish post office is like DMV in USA...hell on earth.

Animeniax
Mon, 06-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Polish post office is like DMV in USA...hell on earth.
You have to find the offices that are out of the way to avoid the mess. The extra drive is worth not having to wait in line, get poor service, and hating life. Post offices in the US aren't much better, except the one I go to where the clerks are fast, friendly, and efficient.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Looking at it internationally, Australian Post rocks! :D Insurance is for valuables and the paranoid. I don't think I've ever bothered.

Last is none other than Italy.

XanBcoo
Mon, 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
I was woken up at 6 am this morning, by my mom shouting and flailing, pretending she was someone who would intend to murder me.

I forgot to lock the door before I went to bed last night. I still put on the burglar alarm, but that wasn't enough for my mom not to decide to teach me a lesson. I was more confused than scared, however.

Still couldn't get back to sleep after that...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
That's one awesome mum. :)

Animeniax
Mon, 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I was woken up at 6 am this morning, by my mom shouting and flailing, pretending she was someone who would intend to murder me.
So are you out in the real world yet Xan, or still in school?

I'm pissed. After spending 30 minutes pulling the Tuniq Tower HSF from my last PC and shipping it home, I found out as I tried to install it on my new system that I forgot to save the metal X backing plate that goes on the back side of the motherboard. So now this $60 HSF is useless, and I don't even have the stock cooler for my Q6600. Any ideas where to get replacement parts for this cooler? The Tuniq/Sunbeam site is useless.

XanBcoo
Mon, 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
So are you out in the real world yet Xan, or still in school?
I'm in the real world, but I'm back in Houston right now. Job hunting will probably be easier here than in Austin, but I think I'm gonna go back after a few months. It really is a much nicer city...

That's one awesome mum.
I certainly didn't think so this morning. Only time will tell if it was worth nearly giving me a heart attack.

Animeniax
Mon, 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm in the real world, but I'm back in Houston right now. Job hunting will probably be easier here than in Austin, but I think I'm gonna go back after a few months. It really is a much nicer city...
I'll be moving to Austin in another month or so. I was readmitted and registered for courses today (not really the right thread for this news but oh well). Still looking for a house there. Any recommendations about areas would be appreciated.

itadakimasu
Tue, 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I was just reminded of why I don't send many emails at work...

People are idiots and like to forward emails to people that are not involved in what I'm emailing them about. If i wanted to CC people into my email, I would do do when I sent it.

If I send you an email asking you something, you should reply to me, not forward it on and ask the Vice President of the company, who then forwards the email to my supervisor, and CC's me... how retarded is that? I originate the email and wind up as a CC after it goes to 5 people, when it was meant to be and A B conversation, C D E and F had nothing to fucking do with it!

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Sleep deprivation + exam stress = 3 x 750ml bowls of rice.

Now I feel like I'm pregnant :(

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Try eating a greenish banana, a big handful of peanuts, and down it all with a beer.

Instant suffering.

----------------------------------------

Got caught in a traffic jam on a fairly light-traffic highway. Got to the end of it...and there was nothing. It was dead stop for about 20-30 minutes, so it wouldn't have been time to clean up completely whatever the hell the problem was. The DOT didn't even notify anyone, so it occurred fairly quickly as well. I wouldn't have been so irritated by it if it actually was something.

My only consolation is the huge stream of people who got off at the exit about a 1/4 mile (1/5 km) before the traffic jam ended around a curve in the highway. They probably took an extra hour to get home when it only took me that extra half hour.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
the latest adventure in my series of "places I go to and then they rip me even more out of my hard earned cash and money: the tales of going out and the lessons learn from it: return to that crappy place" (working title, when I publish it, the title will be less mysterious and more forward to the point, so it wouldn't confuse the audience).

A friend of mine got a day off from the army today, so he called and said we should meet up, since he won't be around the weekend. it's a weekday, so we've decided to start early, and avoid drawing it into the late night hours (he needs to go back tomorrow, and I have to work). we went to a bar that we used to frequent a few months ago, before we deleted it from the routine due to crappy service.

we got there, it was still empty, and then the waitress said we can't sit wherever we want, because the tables are reserved (when we left, the place was still empty, god dammit). so, we ordered ourselves a drink, I chose a new drink, and asked for a half size. then she says that we deserve a chaser to go with that.
in this point I thought it was pretty nice, order a half size and get a chaser? it's a sweet deal, why not. and for the heck of it, we ordered a Nachos plate, which is actually a bag of doritos and some dip to go with it (the dish costs as much as five doritos bags, actually, but then again, you shouldn't be surprised if you get ass-raped if you go to turkey).

when my drink arrived, it turned out to be a 1/3 glass, not a half. it could have been nice to tell me that this specific drink comes only in that size, so that's one.

a bit later, we get the bill. those chasers we thought were with the drink? full charge on them. we should've known better than to come to that place, stinky pile of shit-waitresses, it was just like last time, when one of the guys had a birthday, and after we flashed an I.D (to prove it was his b-day), they brought us an ice-cream cake, and then put it on the tab.

if she would've said that we can take them chasers for half the price, we would've considered it and might have taken them anyways, and maybe not. but crap, when she says "you deserve a chaser with", it implies it free, right?

this was the last time go there, for real.

Edit: and I mean it this time.

Kraco
Thu, 06-18-2009, 12:17 AM
When you decide it's the last time to go to some place, it's usually better to try to stick to it for real unless something really serious changed like a new owner, name, and complete remodeling. Things just don't change simply because a year or two went by.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 06-18-2009, 01:27 AM
I got pulled over for speeding today.

When the cop came to my window it made me realize there is something about a middle aged man with braces that I cannot take seriously.

itadakimasu
Thu, 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM
all of these people that live in my apartments picked the area that is in front of the stairs that lead to my apartment to hang out and grill I guess for the entire summer... they've been out there daily since memorial day and it's just getting annoying to have a bunch of people hanging out, smoking and drinking beer in front of my steps when i come home and leave.

Mr Squiggles
Fri, 06-19-2009, 02:08 AM
all of these people that live in my apartments picked the area that is in front of the stairs that lead to my apartment to hang out and grill I guess for the entire summer... they've been out there daily since memorial day and it's just getting annoying to have a bunch of people hanging out, smoking and drinking beer in front of my steps when i come home and leave.

Make sure you shake your fist at them when they're not looking, that'll show 'em.

Animeniax
Fri, 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Stink-bombs or bird seed will make the area less appealing for them to hang out at.

enkoujin
Fri, 06-19-2009, 11:17 AM
You should go to the host of the party and ask them politely to reduce the amount of barbecues they have (like maybe three times a week).

Animeniax
Fri, 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
You should go to the host of the party and ask them politely to reduce the amount of barbecues they have (like maybe three times a week).
That won't work, people are dicks. He'll start barbecuing twice a day if you ask him nice.

Just put bird seed all over the area. The pigeons will come and leave shit everywhere, and it will be less appealing for the annoying barbecuers.

Xelbair
Fri, 06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
this won't work - one family haves barbecue every day and they give those damned tubes used at match to their(maybe 6-7 years old) children. very noisy.

itadakimasu
Fri, 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM
stink bombs would be epic ^^

I'm moving soon so I won't have to put up with it much longer, but I just really hate walking through a crowd of people to go home or leave home, and then when I leave I worry that they're taking note that nobody is home and possibly thinking of robbing me.

samsonlonghair
Fri, 06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
If you're moving soon you have all the more reason to assault your neighbors with stench and bird feces.

Animeniax
Fri, 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
If you're moving soon you have all the more reason to assault your neighbors with stench and bird feces.
Exactly. Get that bag of bird seed ready for when you move out.

Kraco
Sat, 06-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Haha, yeah. With any luck it will also attract some rats in addition to the birds!

Animeniax
Sat, 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Haha, yeah. With any luck it will also attract some rats in addition to the birds!
And the rats will attract some snakes. It's a vicious cycle.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
And the rats will attract some snakes.
Which will in turn attract gorillas, which simply freeze to death in the winter.

Animeniax
Sat, 06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Which will in turn attract gorillas, which simply freeze to death in the winter.
Not sure why you think snakes attract gorillas. You'd have a bigger problem with mongooses and birds of prey joining the party after snakes enter the picture.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
The whole sequence is a variation on a quote from an old Simpson's episode. Bart raises two eggs from a nest where he killed the mother bird, and predatory lizards hatch from the eggs instead. They start to eat all the pigeons in Springfield, and the following exchange occurs:

Skinner: Well, I was wrong; the lizards are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?
Skinner: No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Animeniax
Sat, 06-20-2009, 02:34 PM
The whole sequence is a variation on a quote from an old Simpson's episode. Bart raises two eggs from a nest where he killed the mother bird, and predatory lizards hatch from the eggs instead. They start to eat all the pigeons in Springfield, and the following exchange occurs:

Skinner: Well, I was wrong; the lizards are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?
Skinner: No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Ahh I see. Sorry to doubt you, or the wisdom of the Simpsons.

samsonlonghair
Sun, 06-21-2009, 12:59 AM
For making a Simpsons reference, and making the internet a less oppressive place to while away our worthless lives, I present Ryllharu with this scented candle.

XanBcoo
Sun, 06-21-2009, 04:36 AM
This thread is going the way of the Ne-Ne if y'all don't get back on topic.

Animeniax
Sun, 06-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm going back to university and trying to re-learn C programming before I start classes in the Fall, as it's been a few years since I last worked with it.

I'm getting stuck on very basic programming exercises in the first chapter of the book. I don't know what my problem is, whether it's my poor logical thought processes, lack of knowledge of program structures and commands, or just a mental block from the last time I tried to learn C programming and it's now a psychological block to me ever learning this material.

Since I'm going for a Comp Sci degree, it concerns me a lot that I can't get the hang of programming.