PDA

View Full Version : hand seals and whatnot

kimunist
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:33 PM
okay i have two main things to discuss about this:

1. do the # of hand seals really matter?

cause naruto uses kage bunshin, and that takes only one hand seal, yet its a jounin level skill...but like other skills (some of sasukes and other jounin) have other skills that take like 2-40 hand seals....

does # of hand seals mean more powerful, or more technique?

2. some techniques dont even REQUIRE hand seals... http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_jumpon.gif

what the...how are these strong too? (zaku, temari, etc.)

so basically, hand seals are optional, and the strength of them are varied?

i mean, shikamaru takes only one hand seal, but it can be stronger than "water dragon blast no jutsu" which took like 50 seals.

jing
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I think it depends on who uses it. Like, the waterdragon no jutsu, a Hokage doing that jutsu would probably own zabuza doing it.

Insomniac
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:36 PM
the number of seals is different to what we see, we see a shortened version to save time - if a seal has been preformed before Kishimoto (creator of Naruto) decided to make it less hand seals the 2nd time around so it doesnt constantly repeat itself each episode

Krbadass
To answer your question, no it doesn't matter how many hand seals it takes. Certain moves take more but it doesn't mean they are stronger all of the time, while some take only one and can be strong.

Someonemanr
I think alot of the times the moves you see do require handseals but we don't see them. I'm pretty sure when Naruto first learned Kage Bunshin it showed him doing more then just the hand seal we associate it with, but then after that he only uses 1, I guess it's to save time and make it easier for the animators? not really sure though.

Krbadass
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:38 PM
He used the same handseal everytime for kage bunshin.

Junichiro
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:40 PM
it could be how they are, like an old one in less and simple and thats why so many ppl know it, aside from the forbiden ones. the new are complex and long so other nins cant learn it within a day

whatever it is it could also be they dont want to waste that much time on them in the show

Krbadass
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Read my first post, thats the answer ^ ^

Crimson
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:54 PM
its not only the hand signs its also how you use your chakra, so youst becus you know the signs dosent mean you can control your chakra to do waht you want.

Or so i belive

kaigan
Sun, 01-18-2004, 02:06 AM
i think that it doesn't matter how many hand seals you do, it just depends on how strong the jutsu is.

littlecooldude
Sun, 01-18-2004, 02:14 AM
So then the point of hand seals are...?

SakuraKanishi
Sun, 01-18-2004, 03:04 AM
Hand seals are the "somatic component" of the jutsu, to borrow a D+D term. Kishimoto's said they're sussposed to be the equivent of hand motions of spells from RPGs.

Everon
Sun, 01-18-2004, 04:10 AM
One thing I've noticed is that most of the moves that don't require hand seals, is because they are more related to physical attacks. For example, Kakashi's "Chidori" is more of a physical attack created by a vibrating hand. The Rain Nin (that used the needles on Gaara) also used a physical attack.

The water dragon and sasuke's fire attacks require hand seals because they need to summon specialties. At least thats what i think

Kakashi-Senpai
Sun, 01-18-2004, 05:27 AM
I think it depends on the different people to use handseals.

Example: Byakugan
Neji seems to use Byakugan immediately after closing and opening his eyes.
Hinata instead has to perform tons of seals just to activate it.

Due i think its the mastery of the jutsu that the hanseals are required.

RoMuLuu
Sun, 01-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Some jutsus reguire hend jutsus... And some jutsus reguire many hand jutsus. That's just the way it goes in my opinion. For exampe it wouldn't be possible to use Water Dragon Bullet without creating hand seals. Or better a lot of hand seals. I think that the jutsus that reguire a lot of hand seals are usually powerful. But some powerful jutsus (in this case I mean Jounin class technigues) like Shadow Replication can be used without any hand seals. But you definitely can't make the Shadow Replication jutsu any more powerful or making more clones by adding some hand jutsus to it.

Viet-Elite
Sun, 01-18-2004, 08:42 AM
When Gaara was fighting Sasuke he did like 100 hand seals! And some others ones he doesn't have to do anything.

rEkKaShInObI
Sun, 01-18-2004, 08:45 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Krbadass @ Jan 17 2004, 11:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> To answer your question, no it doesn&#39;t matter how many hand seals it takes. Certain moves take more but it doesn&#39;t mean they are stronger all of the time, while some take only one and can be strong. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
true that

Assassin
Sun, 01-18-2004, 09:26 AM
*sigh* i think it was mentioned at some point that all hand seals do is help u gather chakra to certain places (during the neji fight we learn that even for jounins, gathering and using chakra is difficult, and the hands and feet are the easiest place to gather)......so the number of hand seals are related to the amount of chakra needed to perform a jutsu.......as u grow stronger, u learn to control chakra better (as well as gain more chakra) so the same jutsu would b easier to do (ie: bayakugan)

Iznogoud
Sun, 01-18-2004, 10:03 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (littlecooldude @ Jan 18 2004, 01:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> So then the point of hand seals are...? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
I think it could be compared to spell casting in some heroic fantasy worlds...
Like when you use some elements together that makes a spell(exemple earth earth fire could make an earthquake or errupt a volcano)
Well Anyway you have a good memory...Have you seen the length of that jutsu in 66-67 (the one gaara&#39;s using...i was like omg, how did he learn it lol )

kimunist
Mon, 01-19-2004, 01:26 PM
yea, it makes more sense as spell casting and delay

(similar to many final fantasy atb waiting bars)

but the thing is...even if some of the hand seals take longer and some are shorter....

the shorter ones at times are more powerful than the longer ones, imo.

(kage bunsin, shadow copy, mind/body switch, etc.)

Serpreme
Wed, 01-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Ok hand seals.
Every jutsu requires Hand seals.
Yes all.
It doesnt matter if they dont show a person doing all of them,They are still required. Its basic Narutoien sceince. You use handseals to release chakra and channel it.
Kage bushin requires more hand seals..its done some where but i know it does require more then the basic 1 cross he does.
The number of hand seals i BELEIVE reprosent the difficulity in the jutsu,as in the more complex outcome of the jutsu then the more hand seals...

Junichiro
Wed, 01-21-2004, 09:52 AM
some one up there said it was to gather chakara to certain points, it did say that in some ep. for example swing you arm around in a circle. your blood rushes to the end, by hand motions/seals chakara goes to certain points

we all cant forget the fact that in tv only a sertain amount of time can be wasted to seals for moves

kimunist
Fri, 01-23-2004, 04:49 AM
wasted? i like the seals, it looks cool.

then again, i think they use seals for that matter...with some &quot;practical&quot; reason as well http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

astronut
Fri, 01-23-2004, 06:35 AM
i think they only do hand seals because it gives them a sense of superior feeling, when Gaara put his hands together.. Sasuke was like &quot;wtf&quot; http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif &lt;&lt;- like that , i think seals are pretty important because it makes the opponent flinch, yet again, i think it gathers chakra up to your body

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p42d91f70e0a1213b09ee205904f7c9ca/f9d98248.jpg

kimunist
Sat, 01-24-2004, 02:07 AM
not to mention it looks pretty cool too http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_laughbounce2.gif

(genin rank post)

The Kyubi Naruto
Sat, 01-24-2004, 02:25 AM
The water elemental no jutsu didn&#39;t require so many handseals. At least that&#39;s what I think. Remember when Zabuza said that Kakashi tricked him into choosing the seal he wanted. So I think Zabuza was just trying if he really could see his thoughts and made it like a game like rock, paper, scissors. Well not really but...

Don&#39;t know If what I just said was correct , but that&#39;s how I remember/see things.

And I guess some jutsus require many handseals and some less. I just think they won&#39;t bother to draw the same handseal twice. Or I don&#39;t know I haven&#39;t paid much attention to those handseals. But atleast there will always be the Kage Bunshin no Jutsu and Henge in which Naruto makes those seals.

And atronut, I just love those&#33; They&#39;re so cute&#33;

Nagablade
Sat, 01-24-2004, 08:08 AM
I always thought that using hand seals was just a way of accumalating chakra

Orion Guardian
Sat, 01-24-2004, 09:54 AM
hmm if u remeber..naruto has to make 5 seals to make te summoning technique, but he _doing_ this seals is only shown two or three times.....they left the seals out to save time....

r3n
Sat, 01-24-2004, 10:28 AM
maybe you can assign certain jutsus to a few or jst one hand seal, like how naruto only uses 1 hand seal to do shadow rep. now, wheras weve seen him use loads before. so obviously can assign the jutsus you need quickest or use most often to 1 hand seal.

this would be why gaara used loadsa of hand seals in 66-67, because he had no need to hurry so didnt bother assigning that jutsu to a shorter hand seal sequence. the same with zabuza, except i think that he may not have used the water dragon very often.

jst a theory http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif kinda makes sense in my head.

The_Fourth
Sat, 01-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I think that by performing a seal you distribute chakra to certain parts of the body depending the seal. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

kimunist
Sun, 01-25-2004, 01:08 PM
i think in the end, the hand seals are just meant for difficulty levels...

obviously, kage bunshin needs to be a quick skill, so it only needs one hand seal, but it is a jounin level jutsu since its only taught at that level.

the more basic skills i guess take more hand seals in order to prepare longer...

i still think a big reason they use hand seals is something to show they are casting a skill...because how weird is it if they just started using skills outta nowhere?

they need something to make it actually look like they worked and trained for the skill, and learning the order of the hand seals was it.

i think the more hand seals it is, the more complex the technique...

kage bunshin in actualality, is a very basic technique as to what it is, just a bunch of replications, rather than most of sasukes fire moves take like 5-10 hand seals, since they are complicated fire attacks.

same with the water dragon blast, its complicated summoning a animated water dragon to attack its oppoent.

Masamune
Mon, 01-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Kage bunshin requires more then one seal.
(to all who say so)

watch episode 15
8m:15

itsgalf
Mon, 01-26-2004, 10:00 AM
I don&#39;t know if anyone else has pointed this out already, I didn&#39;t bother reading all the posts.

Anyways, everytime Naruto does Kage Bunshin no Jutsu, he makes that cross hand seal.

During the Naruto vs. Kiba battle, it shows Naruto gathering his chakra and crap and it says that he needs time to perform his special jutsu, which of course just turned out to be Kage Bunshin, a jutsu that can be performed in 2 seconds.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Kage bunshin requires more then one seal.
(to all who say so)

watch episode 15
8m:15 </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

ahhh, never noticed that.

hehe, when he does all those hand seals, it looks like he&#39;s washing his hands.

kimunist
Tue, 02-10-2004, 01:01 PM
i found out in episode 2, it explains why hand seals are done.

its just the fusing of spiritual energy with the physical, so the more complicated the move, the longer the fusing needs to be.

TeLeKiNeSiS
Tue, 02-10-2004, 01:57 PM
hmm...anyone notice how kawarimi no jutsu (the body replacement technique) didnt require any seals? i thought that was quite odd.