Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hand seals and whatnot

okay i have two main things to discuss about this:

1. do the # of hand seals really matter?

cause naruto uses kage bunshin, and that takes only one hand seal, yet its a jounin level skill...but like other skills (some of sasukes and other jounin) have other skills that take like 2-40 hand seals....

does # of hand seals mean more powerful, or more technique?

2. some techniques dont even REQUIRE hand seals...

what the...how are these strong too? (zaku, temari, etc.)

so basically, hand seals are optional, and the strength of them are varied?

i mean, shikamaru takes only one hand seal, but it can be stronger than "water dragon blast no jutsu" which took like 50 seals.

I think it depends on who uses it. Like, the waterdragon no jutsu, a Hokage doing that jutsu would probably own zabuza doing it.

the number of seals is different to what we see, we see a shortened version to save time - if a seal has been preformed before Kishimoto (creator of Naruto) decided to make it less hand seals the 2nd time around so it doesnt constantly repeat itself each episode

To answer your question, no it doesn't matter how many hand seals it takes. Certain moves take more but it doesn't mean they are stronger all of the time, while some take only one and can be strong.

I think alot of the times the moves you see do require handseals but we don't see them. I'm pretty sure when Naruto first learned Kage Bunshin it showed him doing more then just the hand seal we associate it with, but then after that he only uses 1, I guess it's to save time and make it easier for the animators? not really sure though.

He used the same handseal everytime for kage bunshin.

it could be how they are, like an old one in less and simple and thats why so many ppl know it, aside from the forbiden ones. the new are complex and long so other nins cant learn it within a day

whatever it is it could also be they dont want to waste that much time on them in the show

Read my first post, thats the answer ^ ^

its not only the hand signs its also how you use your chakra, so youst becus you know the signs dosent mean you can control your chakra to do waht you want.

Or so i belive

i think that it doesn't matter how many hand seals you do, it just depends on how strong the jutsu is.

So then the point of hand seals are...?

Hand seals are the "somatic component" of the jutsu, to borrow a D+D term. Kishimoto's said they're sussposed to be the equivent of hand motions of spells from RPGs.

One thing I've noticed is that most of the moves that don't require hand seals, is because they are more related to physical attacks. For example, Kakashi's "Chidori" is more of a physical attack created by a vibrating hand. The Rain Nin (that used the needles on Gaara) also used a physical attack.

The water dragon and sasuke's fire attacks require hand seals because they need to summon specialties. At least thats what i think

I think it depends on the different people to use handseals.

Example: Byakugan
    Neji seems to use Byakugan immediately after closing and opening his eyes.
    Hinata instead has to perform tons of seals just to activate it.

Due i think its the mastery of the jutsu that the hanseals are required.

Some jutsus reguire hend jutsus... And some jutsus reguire many hand jutsus. That's just the way it goes in my opinion. For exampe it wouldn't be possible to use Water Dragon Bullet without creating hand seals. Or better a lot of hand seals. I think that the jutsus that reguire a lot of hand seals are usually powerful. But some powerful jutsus (in this case I mean Jounin class technigues) like Shadow Replication can be used without any hand seals. But you definitely can't make the Shadow Replication jutsu any more powerful or making more clones by adding some hand jutsus to it.

When Gaara was fighting Sasuke he did like 100 hand seals! And some others ones he doesn't have to do anything.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Krbadass @ Jan 17 2004, 11:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> To answer your question, no it doesn&#39;t matter how many hand seals it takes. Certain moves take more but it doesn&#39;t mean they are stronger all of the time, while some take only one and can be strong. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
    true that

*sigh* i think it was mentioned at some point that all hand seals do is help u gather chakra to certain places (during the neji fight we learn that even for jounins, gathering and using chakra is difficult, and the hands and feet are the easiest place to gather)......so the number of hand seals are related to the amount of chakra needed to perform a jutsu.......as u grow stronger, u learn to control chakra better (as well as gain more chakra) so the same jutsu would b easier to do (ie: bayakugan)

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (littlecooldude @ Jan 18 2004, 01:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> So then the point of hand seals are...? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
    I think it could be compared to spell casting in some heroic fantasy worlds...
    Like when you use some elements together that makes a spell(exemple earth earth fire could make an earthquake or errupt a volcano)
    Well Anyway you have a good memory...Have you seen the length of that jutsu in 66-67 (the one gaara&#39;s using...i was like omg, how did he learn it lol )

yea, it makes more sense as spell casting and delay

(similar to many final fantasy atb waiting bars)

but the thing is...even if some of the hand seals take longer and some are shorter....

the shorter ones at times are more powerful than the longer ones, imo.

(kage bunsin, shadow copy, mind/body switch, etc.)