PDA

View Full Version : Boku no Hero Academia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-27-2021, 03:12 PM
S5 E1:

Well, it's not like I expected anything else than that.
But at least we got to see something cool at the end.
The blue-fire dude from that villain group is a badass.

MFauli
Sat, 03-27-2021, 07:25 PM
Why are we in season 50300302 and still need to watch these characters receive school lesson? :/

Sigh, I wish I could just drop this series, but somehow I'm incapable of it, like a gambler who's lost too much money and thinks he can win it back if he just keeps playing. Like that ever works out ;>

Hoping that the story gets going quickly.

Munsu
Sat, 03-27-2021, 10:02 PM
Why are we in season 50300302 and still need to watch these characters receive school lesson? :/

My Hero Academia

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-29-2021, 01:30 AM
Why are we in season 50300302 and still need to watch these characters receive school lesson?
Watching them do school is more fun than them fighting yakuza.

KrayZ33
Mon, 03-29-2021, 04:31 AM
I liked the "tournament" stuff. But the usual school-drills are pretty boring in comparison. I liked the yakuza arc, because it features actual heroes and proper villains that are actual out to kill/destroy and not to play-pretend.

MFauli
Mon, 03-29-2021, 05:13 AM
i mean, it's hilariously bizarre:

In other anime, kids go save the world in their lower teen years. Here the heroes are supposedly adult (lol) and still go to school in season 606050040.

What's really bad, however, ist that they already fought the most dangerous villains - what's left to learn at school? Learning about rules etc. shouldn't take long, and combat ability improves during your work as a hero and your spare time. So, literally, what's the purpose of going to school for so many years?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-29-2021, 05:30 AM
Here the heroes are supposedly adult

What gave you that impression?

MFauli
Mon, 03-29-2021, 05:56 AM
What gave you that impression?

i recently did an article on "sexualized underage anime girl" and researched Boku Hero-girls for that, too. They started out as younger, ca. 15-16, but should be 18+ by now, unless time is crawl in-anime.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-29-2021, 06:52 AM
What? AFAIK These guys haven't even completed a single year at their school. They're still "1st years".

MFauli
Mon, 03-29-2021, 07:02 AM
What? AFAIK These guys haven't even completed a single year at their school. They're still "1st years".

WTF

random lettters due to short posting

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-29-2021, 07:23 AM
WTF

random lettters due to short posting

How's that surprising? They entered the academy, had a tournament thing then the school carnival. They haven't been promoted to 2nd years yet, nor had ad a repeat tournament/carnival, and the Third Years that had been introduced are still current Third Years.

Not that much time has passed, and the characters all look the same. I don't know why you think 3 years has passed for these guys.

MFauli
Mon, 03-29-2021, 07:59 AM
How's that surprising? They entered the academy, had a tournament thing then the school carnival. They haven't been promoted to 2nd years yet, nor had ad a repeat tournament/carnival, and the Third Years that had been introduced are still current Third Years.

Not that much time has passed, and the characters all look the same. I don't know why you think 3 years has passed for these guys.

5 seasons and not one year having passed is just a crawl imo.

But then so my point remains: These characters already have gone through fighting the most dangerous villains. They shouldn't be spending their time encased in a cozy educational facility.

KrayZ33
Mon, 03-29-2021, 08:48 AM
I don't know why you associate seasons with years or something like that.

If a fight or "situation" lasts for 5 episodes we have to wait 1-2 months, for the characters however, that took place in more or less 3 hours.

They are learning to be heroes and the show is about exactly that.

Like.. it's what the show is supposed to be about.
It's not about what happens after school ends and if they go to college or not.

From Deku being accepted to UA to the Overhaul arc - a timespan of ~6 months seems likely.

edit: doesn't the sign still say 1-A(?)
The cultural festival wasn't that long ago either (post Overhaul arc). That's usually in October or something.

neflight86
Mon, 03-29-2021, 08:57 AM
...didn't Naruto go through ~135 episodes (+100 filler) before its time skip? Seasonal airing can throw perception off, but yes, they are still first years.

Dragging someone out of a burning building does not make you a firefighter, and shooting someone to deter a crime does not make you a police officer. These are students enrolled in an academy to learn to dispense law enforcement and crisis mitigation on behalf of the government essentially as contractors with the benefits and responsibilities of sworn police officers. Last season we saw how a capable power user, Gentleman, was disqualified from becoming a hero due to demonstrating poor judgement that lead to catastrophe. These courses are to train them on more than simply punching bad guys. Remember how in season one (and three) they were training specifically on how to perform rescue operations in varying terrain? They do plenty of on job training as-is with the constant work study and provisional licenses. Working in city government, I can tell you that even tenured police and fire employees attend regular training for refreshment and introduction to the newest techniques- so further classroom study on law they are meant to enforce and techniques they are expected to abide by is more than reasonable.

It is the world building like this that wins a pass from me on some of MhA's other weaker elements. I like the more realistic take on the logistics of legislating a super human world. The show has said as much, in that law cannot really keep up with all of the new supernatural ways to subvert it, and heroes really fight an uphill battle. Rules of engagement only burden one side. It makes the idea of a 'symbol of peace' more poignant as I look back on it, and less sentimental... and I feel like I've had this conversation a few years back..

About the episode itself, I appreciate that they took the opportunity to tell me for the fifth time that Mineta's quirk is called 'pop-off', but who is seriously just now starting to watch this in the fifth season? I kid, I know there is no shortage of new blood each season who won't go back to catch up, but I certainly am anxious to get to more canon material!

Hawks is playing the double/triple agent, huh?

MFauli
Mon, 03-29-2021, 12:26 PM
I guess what threw me off is the combination of them having fought the most dangerous criminals several times by now, yet still going to school, which just doesnt make sense to me. Had they clashed with minor criminals and maybe a middle-dangerous villain for the finale, that would have been okay. But no, they literally fought the MOST dangerous villains in season 1 and then again in every following season. To help make you understand: Imagine an isekai anime that starts out with the hero party fighting arch demons and elder dragons - only to spend most of its time at an adventurers' academy where they teach the same hero party how to properly fight slimes and bunnies. That's what BokuHero feels to me.

And mixing it with my watching of other series that do the whole "one year per season" thing, although I can't think of which series I'd be thinking of here rn. Was it an anime or us show? Not sure.

KrayZ33
Mon, 03-29-2021, 02:33 PM
They didn't really fight them/him. They were just there and pretty much bystanders.
At best, they were able to do a one-trick suprise attack that didn't really end up doing much.

The only criminal they had to face for real was Stain and then later Overhaul.
And even then, when fighting latter, that wasn't just Deku's power either and involved Nighteye and Lemillion etc.

And honestly, villains like Himiko Toga seem like "Villains in training" to me. Hell, even the main villain is basically a villain in training and formed into one proper by "all for one" a few seasons in.

Either way. There is basically no one in Deku's group who has a clue when it comes to gathering information or hunting villains.
They only react to what they see. The wouldn't really be able to be detectives as Nighteye.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-29-2021, 03:02 PM
5 seasons and not one year having passed is just a crawl imo.They spent 17 episodes on a police raid that took place during one day.

And also, like, EVERY shounen anime does this.

Hell, One Piece has been going for, over 20 years now. And they're still only, like, 2 years into the story. And that's with a 2 year SKIP.

This shit ain't Harry Potter where the story and the releases progress in real-time...

These characters already have gone through fighting the most dangerous villains.But they didn't BEAT the most dangerous villains. The grownups mostly do it.

This is the story about how Deku became "the greatest hero". Deku didn't beat All For One, All Might did.

Also, it's worth noting that most of the "most dangerous villains" are ALSO a bunch of teenagers. And the ones they HAVEN'T beaten, are the ones that are going to end up leveling up just as much as the hero kids as they get older.

Edit: Most of that was already said by Kray.

neflight86
Mon, 03-29-2021, 04:10 PM
To its detriment, I would say, the power scaling is almost non-existent in Boku no Hero. Bounties, chakras, Nen or what have you exist (or rather persist) for a reason in shounen series. Without some baseline 'power' or 'strength' measurement, the fights are relegated to pure ability dynamics that can be hard to follow, and have also led to quite a bit of discussion and criticism in this very thread (like why going through concrete doesn't kill a person automatically when their quirk has nothing to do with body strengthening- because a baseline of quasi superhuman bodily 'strength' has to be assumed since the story does not provide one).

I don't know if the author sidestepped that shounen staple on purpose or what, but the result has certainly changed the... texture of how conflict battle can be resolved in HeroAca. On the one hand, clever power usage means you can pull underdog victories out of tactics and environment alone; Hunter x Hunter exceled at this. The downside to this approach is that you, as the writer, have to be at least slightly more clever than whatever your audience comes up with for power application or they will begin to second guess you and the characters(also can be seen in this very thread). Anchored power values streamline this process and bake in some wiggle room for matchups.

I mention this (which is news no nobody here) to juxtapose that the villains we have been exposed to in MhA aren't necessarily the de facto most dangerous ones, as that is purely decided by the usage of ability. I would personally be the most afraid of the mind control kid from season 2- he is basically Kira if he wants to be, or Mirio when he could permeate. Horikoshi, the author, no doubt takes some inspiration from western comics in crafting his superhero tale, but that format of storytelling is very much not traditional shounen in structure, so compromises were clearly made. Weekly Shounen Jump isn't interested in Peter Parker being Spider Man; it's interested in his training arc with Uncle Ben before he gets killed off in the 'late for dinner' arc...

We simply are expected to take at face value who is the most dangerous villain according to the story, but we aren't given self evident reasons to believe it.

MFauli
Mon, 03-29-2021, 05:21 PM
To its detriment, I would say, the power scaling is almost non-existent in Boku no Hero. Bounties, chakras, Nen or what have you exist (or rather persist) for a reason in shounen series. Without some baseline 'power' or 'strength' measurement, the fights are relegated to pure ability dynamics that can be hard to follow, and have also led to quite a bit of discussion and criticism in this very thread (like why going through concrete doesn't kill a person automatically when their quirk has nothing to do with body strengthening- because a baseline of quasi superhuman bodily 'strength' has to be assumed since the story does not provide one).

I don't know if the author sidestepped that shounen staple on purpose or what, but the result has certainly changed the... texture of how conflict battle can be resolved in HeroAca. On the one hand, clever power usage means you can pull underdog victories out of tactics and environment alone; Hunter x Hunter exceled at this. The downside to this approach is that you, as the writer, have to be at least slightly more clever than whatever your audience comes up with for power application or they will begin to second guess you and the characters(also can be seen in this very thread). Anchored power values streamline this process and bake in some wiggle room for matchups.

I mention this (which is news no nobody here) to juxtapose that the villains we have been exposed to in MhA aren't necessarily the de facto most dangerous ones, as that is purely decided by the usage of ability. I would personally be the most afraid of the mind control kid from season 2- he is basically Kira if he wants to be, or Mirio when he could permeate. Horikoshi, the author, no doubt takes some inspiration from western comics in crafting his superhero tale, but that format of storytelling is very much not traditional shounen in structure, so compromises were clearly made. Weekly Shounen Jump isn't interested in Peter Parker being Spider Man; it's interested in his training arc with Uncle Ben before he gets killed off in the 'late for dinner' arc...

We simply are expected to take at face value who is the most dangerous villain according to the story, but we aren't given self evident reasons to believe it.

good posting, agreed much

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-29-2021, 09:32 PM
Bounties, chakras, Nen or what have you exist (or rather persist) for a reason in shounen series. Those are completely different things. Nen and Chakra is a power system, like DB's "Ki". Bounties are an arbitrary power measurement, like DB's "power level".

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-30-2021, 01:46 AM

They're dangerous because they're targeting our kids or threatening world order.

KrayZ33
Tue, 03-30-2021, 04:47 AM

I don't quite understand where this is comming from.
Obviously All for One is the strongest and most dangerous villain.
He can basically own every single ability and thus has always an answer to someone he goes against.

Other than that, we aren't really told who is the strongest or most dangerous villain in this show.
The rest are just villains who have the criminal energy to be a villain. It doesn't matter how dangerous they are compared to someone else. It was never truely about the ability potential. It has always been about what the individual achieved with their ability and how he used it and what he wanted to do with it.

Stain for example killed a lot of heroes with his ability. Thus he is a dangerous individual because he uses his quirk to kill heroes/people.
That's it.

The same goes for Overhaul.
He is elusive and cunning and it was more about him staying in the "legal" area and the heroes had to find some dirt, so they could invade his hideout.
His ability wasn't what was dangerous, te technology he achieved by torturing the small girl is what made him a potential threat to all heroes and people in general.
And we've seen what that technology did. We have multiple heroes that are now without any powers. Including Lemillion.

I never felt like that the story told me "you have to fear this guy because he is super powerful" - aside from All for One of course.
The Villain group, in my eyes, isn't even actually truely powerful. As mentioned earlier Toga seems to be average at best and the whole group itself more like a "villain-training-group". The opposite of UA, so to say.

neflight86
Tue, 03-30-2021, 11:36 AM
Those are completely different things. Nen and Chakra is a power system, like DB's "Ki". Bounties are an arbitrary power measurement, like DB's "power level".

They are different, but they serve as forms of measurement. Arbitrary or not, they can be compared to provide a frame of reference in a given matchup. Who had more 'Nen' capacity in Netero Vs. King Ant in the Chimera arc? We knew going in which side could brute force and which had to be more tactical about it because it was clearly communicated to us beforehand, and I would argue made the fight richer. You could do lots of weird things with nen, but there being a quantity of it is such a handy tool for the audience's benefit.

Tools like jobbing and quantifiable power systems are useful to set the tone and guide expectations of the audience. In MhA, often enough I am left to decipher the likelihood of victory solely on other metrics like 'who is going to around in this story longer', or 'who is important to the narrative?' which are not engaging ways to predict the outcome of a fight.

They're dangerous because they're targeting our kids or threatening world order.

That is correct, long and short. I get lost in the weeds because I'm trying to view them (the villain progression) through the shounen lens. I meant to say that I'm not convinced on an individualistic level that these villains are particularly threatening. Characters acting that way are certainly a dangerous element that society should not bear. My confusion stems from being unable to place their relative capability. Due to the nature of quirks in MhA, it feels like it wouldn't take much to simply 'introduce' another enemy with the same or greater danger. Since so many people are running around with powers, all it takes is for the author to decide that a random person has a super powerful quirk and we have a new arc. That is true of any work of fiction, and I trust the author to not simply go hog wild, but since there is no rarity or understood limits on quirks conceptually, the possibility is always looming.

I don't quite understand where this is comming from.
Obviously All for One is the strongest and most dangerous villain.
He can basically own every single ability and thus has always an answer to someone he goes against.

Other than that, we aren't really told who is the strongest or most dangerous villain in this show.
The rest are just villains who have the criminal energy to be a villain. It doesn't matter how dangerous they are compared to someone else. It was never truely about the ability potential. It has always been about what the individual achieved with their ability and how he used it and what he wanted to do with it.

Stain for example killed a lot of heroes with his ability. Thus he is a dangerous individual because he uses his quirk to kill heroes/people.
That's it.

The same goes for Overhaul.
He is elusive and cunning and it was more about him staying in the "legal" area and the heroes had to find some dirt, so they could invade his hideout.
His ability wasn't what was dangerous, te technology he achieved by torturing the small girl is what made him a potential threat to all heroes and people in general.
And we've seen what that technology did. We have multiple heroes that are now without any powers. Including Lemillion.

I never felt like that the story told me "you have to fear this guy because he is super powerful" - aside from All for One of course.
The Villain group, in my eyes, isn't even actually truely powerful. As mentioned earlier Toga seems to be average at best and the whole group itself more like a "villain-training-group". The opposite of UA, so to say.

Good points. Allow me to revise my original statement. Aside from AfO, the rest of the villains seem like random people who happen to have criminal intent (as you mentioned, it's what you do with your ability). That isn't bad inherently, and makes the show more 'realistic', if anything, as that is how the real life criminal element acts. My disconnect is that these villains are propped up with entire arcs of events and they feel like 'drops in the bucket' of what could happen to the superhero society if people begin to riot or act up en mass. The (villain) abilities are even impressive, but the world building hasn't suggested that there aren't tons more people with even more broken powers that should be more worrisome.

My problem is that I am measuring this by traditional shounen standards when this is less and less a traditional shounen story- that is good because not everything needs to rehash the same story arc. I'm just still adjusting (5 years in).

DarthEnderX
Tue, 03-30-2021, 11:08 PM
They are different, but they serve as forms of measurement. Arbitrary or not, they can be compared to provide a frame of reference in a given matchup. Who had more 'Nen' capacity in Netero Vs. King Ant in the Chimera arc? We knew going in which side could brute force and which had to be more tactical about it because it was clearly communicated to us beforehand, and I would argue made the fight richer. You could do lots of weird things with nen, but there being a quantity of it is such a handy tool for the audience's benefit.*shrug* I guess. But it's hardly necessary.

Quirks are basically like Stands. You can't measure them, and it's all in how you use them.

KrayZ33
Tue, 03-30-2021, 11:40 PM
To its detriment, I would say, the power scaling is almost non-existent in Boku no Hero. Bounties, chakras, Nen or what have you exist (or rather persist) for a reason in shounen series.

I wanted to point out:
Isn't something like a "bounty" what you critized? The story tells you who the bad guy is, but you never actually see why.
"He has the highest bounty, thus he is the biggest chad in town."

Quirks are what abilities or techniques are in Naruto imho.
You can measure Chakra all fine and well, but Naruto with unlimited Chakra was overall a pretty shitty combatant early on.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-31-2021, 03:16 AM
The (villain) abilities are even impressive, but the world building hasn't suggested that there aren't tons more people with even more broken powers that should be more worrisome.

Assuming the double negatives here are intended, this sentence reads that
".. the would building has suggested that there are tons more people ... should be more worrisome."

Any hero that is strong could potentially decide to fuck up society and become worrisome. This show hasn't been second guessing any established heroes yet.. so..
..No the world building hasn't suggested strong people should be worrisome?

If they did, you'd have someone in the government being Batman and developing contingency plans for everyone.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-31-2021, 09:28 AM
This show hasn't been second guessing any established heroes yet.. so..Well, Endeavor was painted as being pretty problematic. But he's been getting better, rather than worse.

neflight86
Wed, 03-31-2021, 10:00 AM
I wanted to point out:
Isn't something like a "bounty" what you critized? The story tells you who the bad guy is, but you never actually see why.
"He has the highest bounty, thus he is the biggest chad in town."

Quirks are what abilities or techniques are in Naruto imho.
You can measure Chakra all fine and well, but Naruto with unlimited Chakra was overall a pretty shitty combatant early on.

I see what you mean. My wording could use some improvement. The distinction I would like the show to make is how the randos the cast have gone up against so far measure up against the heroes, like the top ten they bothered to rate at the end of last season. I understand that doing so arbitrarily would be wonky at best, and is one of the silliest tropes of shounen story telling ("X is roughly equivalent to Y", said a bystander). Also, because of how abilities are unquantifiable, direct comparisons are nearly impossible anyway. It is my unreasonable desire as a lover of such things from series past, nothing more. It wouldn't even fit the storytelling here; nothing is that tidy, and that is a good thing that I'm not fully used to.

Bounties and power levels and so on are more, to me, tools to set general competency expectations. If someone has a ridiculous bounty, that suggests that they are capable of and have indeed committed assorted criminal activity to justify it and that government agents to a certain degree (the bounty) have failed to subdue them. There is always wiggle room in those measurements (like your Naruto example), but they are still a comfort to me.

To get into a more detailed example, Overhaul had a pretty decent arc last season. He was a Yakuza boss with a pretty neat power. How does his individual 'strength' compare to high school heroes and pro heroes from the onset? No idea. No fight record and no jobbing. Leading up to the confrontation with him, I had no clue how to gauge his ability until the actual fight, other than what I could glean from him being 'the boss'. Due diligence was done in the meeting with Sigaraki, and he was menacing, but when it came time for the big fight, I had no idea what tactics or strategies were being used. I didn't know the limits or ranges of his reconstitution ability, and if I had, it would have probably slowed the fight to a crawl with exposition. Rule of Cool was how that played out. Which is fine- a jolly good fight, but not one that I remember much detail about other than the OST and sakuga. This concept is, as I'm sure you have noticed by now, hard for me to put into words.

It is personal preference, but I want a ballpark estimate of who should be at an advantage in a fight going into it. That's my minor hangup. Boku does actually provide it somewhat with the rest of its world building. Shame on me making it sound like a big deal when it really isn't, and thanks for calling me out on it.

Assuming the double negatives here are intended, this sentence reads that
".. the would building has suggested that there are tons more people ... should be more worrisome."

Any hero that is strong could potentially decide to fuck up society and become worrisome. This show hasn't been second guessing any established heroes yet.. so..

Just this episode, Hawks has been seen cavorting with Dabi, so something is clearly going on there, as far as hero second guessing.

Sorry for the roundabout prose. My intent is to say that I think the potential for limitless threats is an unfortunate feature of Boku's setting. In other shounen series, fighters are typically a subset of the population separated by some training or innate ability- a limited talent pool to draw from. When 80% of the population could conceivably have nuke grade powers with little 'counter play', I wonder how the world hasn't collapsed on itself, which is a mild distraction, but that was addressed in episode one, season one- heroes keep that from happening, and that is perfectly fine for this story.

I figure that if a low budget youtuber like Gentleman can somewhat push Midoria in a fight, or social media creepers like Toko can become acolytes of Shigaraki and take down pro heroes (lock hero), the capability of randos is already plenty dangerous. That's not counting whatever new 'threats' will pop up at the grocery store, or wherever. Its a feature, not a bug; I'm just treating it like one

..No the world building hasn't suggested strong people should be worrisome?

If they did, you'd have someone in the government being Batman and developing contingency plans for everyone.

I always thought Stain was a twisted version of a teenage mutant ninja batman, though of course not for these reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there was somebody keeping an eye on heroes...

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-06-2021, 02:24 AM

---

I get the feeling that the last season maybe should have ended one episode earlier. Because we're clearly continuing from the events of that one episode as though it was actually the start of a new arc...

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-06-2021, 06:13 AM
I don't fully recall the last episode of the previous season.
But I kinda remember that it left the feeling of "the heroes will work together to fill the hole "One for All" left behind... and I think that's only possible because it ended at the point it did.
Ending it earlier would mean that it would've remained uncertain, but I think the idea was to leave us with a different "feeling".

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-06-2021, 07:28 AM
The last episode ended fine. Just watching it again is enough of a reminder.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-06-2021, 02:16 PM
I don't fully recall the last episode of the previous season.It was Endeavor's fight with Nomu, which this episode was a direct continuation of.

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-06-2021, 02:39 PM
It was Endeavor's fight with Nomu, which this episode was a direct continuation of.

Ya that's what I remember, and it ended in a way that made Endeavor and the other heroes look like they could pick up the fight.
And I believe that's how the season was supposed to end, even if the arc itself is still ongoing.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-10-2021, 06:54 AM
Gotta love the fact that they bothered to re-introduce everyone from the main cast and all their abilities but not that one guy who had one appearence during the school-tournament.

I have no idea why he used that other guy's voice to brainwash.

David75
Sat, 04-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Probably because that other guy is the beast tamer/master. Silly idea I got reading your question, but why not for a guy who gets all the beast attributes to have a tamer/master.
Or at least a partner he gets better results with. For a brainwasher, using a significant other voice probably helps a lot.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-10-2021, 07:07 PM
You get brainwashed by him if you answer his question/statement/taunt.

Enemies that know of this naturally would avoid answering if asked, so the dude changes his voice to trick you.

neflight86
Sat, 04-17-2021, 08:07 PM

I'll reassert that Boku no Hero does group battles probably better than any other shounen. Tactics, mind games, and clever usage of powers were just what I expected.

As an aside rant, one thing that always bothered by about Fairy Tale was how it constantly bloated its cast and then spent more and more time trying to give them all some screen time. Like scraps for those character's fans; dug its own grave with that. MHA is content with giving side characters a spotlight and then simply allowing them to disappear until they are needed in the story again. Class B hasn't been shoehorned into the series more because it's really not about them, and I would like to call out the restraint in that.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 04-17-2021, 11:03 PM
As an aside rant, one thing that always bothered by about Fairy Tale was how it constantly bloated its cast and then spent more and more time trying to give them all some screen time. Like scraps for those character's fans; dug its own grave with that.To be fair, Dragon Ball and Naruto do that, only with way fewer characters.

Like Shino or Lee? Fuck you. Like anyone except Goku and Vegeta? Double fuck you!

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-18-2021, 04:10 AM
That episode was dope! Amazingly fun.

It's so much better than the average power vs power theme most shounen fights/shows have.

neflight86
Tue, 04-27-2021, 09:17 AM

Good ol' shounen spirit with a side of chunni *chef's kiss*. Is hawks genuenely interested in raising another hero, or is he a triple agent?

I'm sure it has been scrutinized to death already, but apparently dark shadow did not levitate due to his cord attached to Tokoyami serving as an appendage and supporting weight, but because the darkness itself is weightless or apparently anti-gravity, and the teather is keeping it from floating off... This power property doesn't make much sense, but it looks neat. I like when a character learns an entirely new application of their power, even if it really shouldn't have been explained.

Kendo has always had one of the more cute character designs. But that quirk- I don't even know how she got into the hero course with a quirk like that, and still says Yao still has better grades than her. I wonder what her advantage is?

Mushrooms. Just mushrooms. I wonder how big the board with hero powers is that Horikoshi throws darts onto to decide who gets what?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-27-2021, 11:00 AM
Kendo has always had one of the more cute character designs. But that quirk- I don't even know how she got into the hero course with a quirk like that, and still says Yao still has better grades than her. I wonder what her advantage is?
She might just be an incredibly competent fighter.

But yeah, her quirk sucks.

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-27-2021, 12:05 PM
Or because fighting isn't all that is needed to be a hero.

Kendo is the big hand-girl, right?

Pretty sure she can use her hands to get rubble out of the way, dig victims up, or just grip villains and hold them in place.
It's just logical to assume that she gets enhanced strength when she enlarges her hands proportional to the size of them.
Otherwise the weigth of her hands would make it impossible for her to move around.
Imagine yourself getting into this:
https://i.imgur.com/gczxQLy.png

There are certainly some superpowers that are completely useless against that. And imagine getting bonked by that.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-27-2021, 05:52 PM
I mean, it's not any worse that the A1 guy whose power is "Tail".

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM
Dont' forget Tape and Grape. Acid also is a little limited. Invisible girl too with flash bomb. Like, how did she even take down any robots anyway during the exam. Kendo's doing fine compared to all that.

Dark Shadow's is weird so I would just leave it at that. Cloaking the DS to improve its ability seems to be required, and you'd just have to give it the benefit of doubt that Dark Shadow would just fly from its tether and can't lift anything up with it.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-01-2021, 11:57 AM
Ep 94

--------------------------------------

I was about to say... damn fungus has no killing power, but she just turns into a bioweapon. That escalated quickly.

MFauli
Sat, 05-01-2021, 01:53 PM
This anime is so bad and I cannot stop :/

I want to punch that dumb mushroom girl in the face everytime she does her orgasm-tongue out face :/

And Yoyoraorru's "genius idea" that everyone praised as genius ... was the most low-iq, dumb idea ever. Oh, people need to see in the dark, so i send them a thermal visor - GENIUS!!11 :/

DarthEnderX
Sat, 05-01-2021, 11:38 PM
I give her points for knowing how to make thermal goggles from scratch though.

neflight86
Mon, 05-03-2021, 10:52 AM
This is the risk that pure ability-based fight dynamics constantly run with- how the characters use a plethora of powers likely won't match up with out we'd use them, and that makes us frustrated because we tend to think ourselves pretty clever, yet somehow teenagers (written for children) should be at least as quick witted as us.

I've decided that commentating on the metatextual elements like what shounen is and who it's for aren't really enriching the conversation anymore- we've all agreed to disagree on how appropriate the student's decisions are, so I'll leave it finally to rest.

The fight had some fun turns and mushrooms can be pretty deadly I suppose, if they end up blocking your wind pipe. Aoyama was thoroughly useless, as expected, and Yaomomo got to show off a bit of growth. All in all, a good battle for side characters.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-03-2021, 01:07 PM
I was disappointed the mushrooms didn't give us a better idea of Invisible Girl's figure...

This is the risk that pure ability-based fight dynamics constantly run with- how the characters use a plethora of powers likely won't match up with out we'd use them, and that makes us frustrated because we tend to think ourselves pretty clever, yet somehow teenagers (written for children) should be at least as quick witted as us.Well, we also have a lot more time to think. Even just between the watching, and the posting here.

That said, we have LESS time to think about it than the writer. So it can be frustrating when it seems like we put more thought in it than they did.

MFauli
Mon, 05-03-2021, 01:38 PM
Btw invisible girl is running around naked, right?

:/

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-03-2021, 02:53 PM
I believe so. They joked about how cold she is now that it's winter.

neflight86
Mon, 05-17-2021, 08:25 AM
I can sort of hear it, but what exactly is horn girl's speech impediment/quirk (no pun intended)? Is she speaking broken English or just slurring greatly?

Did they dig Yutaka Nakamura out of his Bones dungeon to animate the Ingenium scenes? They contrast actually too starkly with the regular animation- it looks like a different show.

The pacing during these battles isn't great, but at least there's a theoretical time limit to enable stalemates.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-17-2021, 01:24 PM
I can sort of hear it, but what exactly is horn girl's speech impediment/quirk (no pun intended)? Is she speaking broken English or just slurring greatly?She's just speaking (heavily accented)English.

Did they dig Yutaka Nakamura out of his Bones dungeon to animate the Ingenium scenes? They contrast actually too starkly with the regular animation- it looks like a different show.That's SAKUGA, baby!

neflight86
Thu, 05-27-2021, 08:48 AM
So, Bakugo's team fight strategy - "save me when I'm in trouble, and I'll save you when you're in trouble"... Apparently being a pro hero means 'quickplay causal'. I forgot he refers to everybody by some reductive moniker. Too bad that Buggy's kid endured some major jobbing duties this ep. I bet she could be pretty strong if she can essentially regenerate the slivers of her body that don't come back. Would be useful for search and rescue or hazmat.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-27-2021, 06:34 PM
Buggy? As in the lizard woman who splits her body?

Regenerating body parts is specifically her thing. She did that until she got tired then had the remaining ones return instead to save energy instead. Sero predicted that so planted a nade.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-27-2021, 09:26 PM
Buggy? As in the lizard woman who splits her body?As in, the girl with the same power as Buggy from One Piece.

MFauli
Sat, 05-29-2021, 05:05 AM
episode 10 s5:

1.) If acid girl's acid actually hit anyone, that person would die. Dumb power to use in battle as a hero.

2.) Shinso saved Deku, Deku's team should have given up afterwards, it's unfair how Shinso is now exposed.

3.) But what I really had to say: Giving Deku all these secret quirks is a total copout. The series premise is "guy without ability receives ability from hero". Now the "guy without ability" will have 6-7 abilities of totally different nature. So far, all of Deku's moves were strenth-based. But now he's got an energy whip? Aha. Really don't like that.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-31-2021, 01:45 AM
2.) Shinso saved Deku, Deku's team should have given up afterwards, it's unfair how Shinso is now exposed.While I agree, that shit should end the match, it seems like everyone, including Shinso, want to continue.

3.) But what I really had to say: Giving Deku all these secret quirks is a total copout. The series premise is "guy without ability receives ability from hero". Now the "guy without ability" will have 6-7 abilities of totally different nature. So far, all of Deku's moves were strenth-based. But now he's got an energy whip? Aha. Really don't like that.I love it. OFA was described as a power that let's you pass on power to others. So for a long time I was like "Shouldn't that include Quirks? Or was every previous user Quirkless?" Now it's like "No, it totally can. We just haven't done it before." Plus, Deku's power was getting stale.

I will say though, I don't like all the "It's not time yet", "the time is now" stuff. Makes Deku seem like some kinda prophesized chosen one, which always completely undermines a can-do, never-give-up protags. It happened in Naruto, it's maybe happening in One Piece, and now it's happening here.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-31-2021, 08:26 AM
I see the new power thing as necessary, because the story doesn't really get much more interesting if the only progression is seeing Deku punch a bit harder every single time.

That said, I do dislike it at the same time because now it feels like we're sidetracking instead of working on towards becoming the 2nd All Might.

Also - Chibi Uraraka <3

KrayZ33
Wed, 06-02-2021, 04:29 AM
episode 10 s5:

3.) But what I really had to say: Giving Deku all these secret quirks is a total copout. The series premise is "guy without ability receives ability from hero". Now the "guy without ability" will have 6-7 abilities of totally different nature. So far, all of Deku's moves were strenth-based. But now he's got an energy whip? Aha. Really don't like that.

It still is?
That hasn't changed in the slightest.
He got the strongest quirk aside from AFO.
The "underdog/guy without ability" theme it had in the first episode was lost the moment Deku recieved that power.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-02-2021, 08:53 AM
I felt cheated when Todoroki didn't Prominence Burn the hell out of metal guy, but guess we'll save it for a real villain.

neflight86
Wed, 06-02-2021, 09:52 AM
The door(s) to random new power opens, and I couldn't think of a nicer guy for it to happen to. This will certainly change everything. Odd that All Might apparently never manifested any of these powers, or knew about them.

Looks like OFA is still awaiting his trial (I remember discussing the logistics of 'keeping' versus 'killing' him a dozen or so pages back).

Deku got to be Ururuaka's body pillow; aah, youth!

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-02-2021, 01:01 PM
Odd that All Might apparently never manifested any of these powers, or knew about them.

Smells like the extra powers were an afterthought.

KrayZ33
Wed, 06-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Smells like the extra powers were an afterthought.

The vestiges stuff has been a thing since forever though.

MFauli
Wed, 06-02-2021, 03:54 PM
why are you people using the word "vestiges" so much recently?! It started with Kumoko, now it's here. Pls dont :/

DarthEnderX
Wed, 06-02-2021, 06:50 PM
why are you people using the word "vestiges" so much recently?! It started with Kumoko, now it's here. Pls dont :/I call things what the subs call them.

Odd that All Might apparently never manifested any of these powers, or knew about them.I don't think ANY of them knew you could do it, because I don't think any of them before Deku could. Hence the "now is the time" stuff.

David75
Thu, 06-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Just a (too) simple idea:
-Deku was quirkless, so somehow it gives him the ability to use any quirk OFA has in store.
With that idea it was never possible before to use previous quirks because all previous OFA heroes had a quirk before OFA

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-03-2021, 11:54 AM
Wasn't All Might also quirkless?

David75
Thu, 06-03-2021, 01:33 PM
As I was writing, I remembered that too but I don't remember the details...

exglitch67
Fri, 06-04-2021, 04:31 PM
Wasn't All Might also quirkless?

Pretty sure his body transformation was his quirk and had nothing to do with OFA. The reason All Might could use OFA so freely is because of the advantage he had with his body transformation. Not 100% positive but I think this was mentioned in S1.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-04-2021, 11:44 PM
That makes so much more sense that I really wish you are right. Which means Deku can also use his body transformation.

Unfortunately, after googling this topic, it seems he was indeed originally quirkless.

KrayZ33
Sun, 06-06-2021, 02:56 AM
How long ago was All Might's first fight against AFO? Not the second one that got the villain into Tartarus.
That one basically crippled him and he went on doing hero work even though he could only maintain his super-body-form for like 5 minutes, yet no one noticed for quite a while.

I'd say that after that, All Might couldn't possibly wield the power of OFA in any reasonable manner and thus nothing manifested.
But he recieved the power as a teenager, so I'm not sure how long it took for him to take down AFOs syndicate..

exglitch67
Sun, 06-06-2021, 09:19 AM
That makes so much more sense that I really wish you are right. Which means Deku can also use his body transformation.

Unfortunately, after googling this topic, it seems he was indeed originally quirkless.

Thank you for confirmation, not sure why I had that assumption but I definitely thought it was a thing. Man I did like the multiple quirk development in the moment but now I kind of have to agree the manifest destiny bs somewhat undermines Deku's try hard attributes

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-07-2021, 02:22 AM
Man I did like the multiple quirk development in the moment but now I kind of have to agree the manifest destiny bs somewhat undermines Deku's try hard attributesNah, see, cause now he has to try hard all over again. Gotta learn these new powers from scratch.

neflight86
Mon, 06-07-2021, 07:50 AM
How long ago was All Might's first fight against AFO? Not the second one that got the villain into Tartarus.
That one basically crippled him and he went on doing hero work even though he could only maintain his super-body-form for like 5 minutes, yet no one noticed for quite a while.

I think that happened five years before the start of the series. He showed Midoria the scar in episode 2.

Some random takeaways

Monoma pulled some weight even getting immediately subdued like the side character he is, but he was still fun to watch. As a hero, he'll be very selective about his sidekicks. Matter of fact, didn't Ururaka take down three of the five enemies this time? Without her quirk, essentially?

I'm not going to say that Mineta is like pervert Light Yagami, but the dude knows his physics, apparently...

Looks like Class B has the lion's share of manipulators- horn girl, reptile, and now ghost all have powers controlling floating somethings... Did they have any brawlers aside from TetsuTetsu and Beast man?

I like that Eraserhead explains the learning curve difference in self teaching versus being taught- not everything has to be up to 'talent'.

neflight86
Tue, 06-22-2021, 08:37 AM
...and a merry Christmas to you all!

They pick the strangest places for insert songs, unless it is exclusively required for mid-season side stories, like the dance routine last season.

I like Mineta being traumatized by Mt. Lady, and her interactions with the kids. These types of mini-hero adjacent administrative activities give the other characters a chance to get some spotlight and does some decent world building outside of beating down baddies.

Do you think Endeavour's agency will count as a training arc?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-22-2021, 01:58 PM
Do you think Endeavour's agency will count as a training arc?

Character development I think.

neflight86
Tue, 07-13-2021, 03:39 PM
103 (s5 ep15)

Looks like Sanji gets to be the next big bad, and Endeavor is as capable as ever. 100,000+ members? What is the population of Japan, is that over 1%? Why are Shigaraki's lackies at that table, too? Did I miss an arc?

Looks like we're getting a continuation of the filler arc from season 2 next ep, but I don't mind more Froppy.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-17-2021, 07:51 AM
100,000+ members? What is the population of Japan, is that over 1%?

No. .

neflight86
Sat, 07-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Looks like that would be closer to .01%, oops.

Probably the weakest / least interesting filler episode to make it into MHA (I may have shook my head at the beach scene), but oh well. It looks like this might be tying into a movie, or another filer arc down the road? It's over and now we can get back to family trauma.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-17-2021, 11:20 PM
another filer arc down the road?Another filler arc? MHA has never HAD a filler arc. There's only, like, 4 episodes of filler in the entire series.

neflight86
Sun, 07-18-2021, 08:40 AM
Fair enough. I mean a filler continuation with recurring filler characters like the seal hero from this one and the one in season 2.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-18-2021, 10:30 AM
I think it's just an opportunity to give fans what they crave, that the manga refuses to provide...more Froppy.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-18-2021, 04:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/FzWJaaT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Rh3rXUb.jpg

DUDE SHE ATE THE TURTLE.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-18-2021, 07:41 PM
Turtles are delicious.

She even gave it the chance to plead for its life in the open sea.

neflight86
Wed, 07-28-2021, 03:59 PM
... I feel bad for the sister who's trying to pull the Todoroki family back together. Its painful to watch her efforts be trampled on...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-30-2021, 01:15 AM
I personally feel that the key is the mother. I don't even know why she's locked up to be honest. She can't go around pouring hot water on her kids anymore anyway.

Plus, recovery girl was a thing then anyway.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-30-2021, 02:27 AM
She can't go around pouring hot water on her kids anymore anyway.Why not?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-30-2021, 09:28 AM
Why not?

They're not dependant kids anymore, they're stronger than her, and they can have domestic violence orders against her. She doesn't need to be in a hospital.

neflight86
Fri, 07-30-2021, 09:57 AM
Todoroki momma's admission to the mental ward is probably not voluntary, and requires some sort of doctor sign off on her mental stability before she can leave.

I remember in the old movie/book "One flew over the Cuckoo's nest", where the main character is made to realize that his ploy to get sent into a mental asylum (to avoid jail) backfired because self admittance was voluntary, but being admitted was basically a lifetime sentence unless you really convince a doctor you have somehow changed your brain. That's obviously not the dynamic here, but I can fathom that there might be a whole process to get her freedom back, when she decides she wants it...

Also, it has been a discussion for a while, so I though I might try to clarify how I think Recovery Girl works, to better delineate what she can and can't heal. As I understand it, all she does is speed up your own body's recovery, so only things that would already heal, given enough time, can be healed by her quirk. Lose an eye? Not growing back, even in the hyperbolic heal chamber. Break bones or skin lesions? Can do. Scars don't really heal, so she shouldn't have an affect on boiling water's damage. That also explains why All Might couldn't be rejuvenated by her earlier in the series. Organs were missing and so on. At least, that's how I understand it working.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-30-2021, 01:16 PM
I can't remember exactly how recovery girl worked.

As for Japan's mental health service, I ended up skimming through this:
http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0037-80542016000400002

tl;dr: for various reasons, Japan still hospitalises psychiatric conditions a lot while most of the world (including Australia, where I live), it's seen as a last resort, not a preferred resort.)

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-30-2021, 03:07 PM
They're not dependant kids anymore, they're stronger than her, and they can have domestic violence orders against her. She doesn't need to be in a hospital.Okay but...a person who is dangerous is not only a danger to her own kids.

Someone that pours scalding water on kids can't just be allowed to walk around freely.

MFauli
Fri, 07-30-2021, 04:20 PM
... I feel bad for the sister who's trying to pull the Todoroki family back together. Its painful to watch her efforts be trampled on...

I feel for her, too, but the truth is: They should have divorced after what happened. The mom should have gone to psychiatry (ok, apparently she did). The kids should have gone to a foster home or relatives.

A mother pouring boiling water into her son's face.
A father clearly abusing the son.

That was not the kind of home that ever should have a chance to keep going. That they're all together again now is only because "anime".

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-31-2021, 02:14 AM
Okay but...a person who is dangerous is not only a danger to her own kids.

Someone that pours scalding water on kids can't just be allowed to walk around freely.

She showed immediate remorse. She doesn't pour hot water indiscriminately, there's a clear trigger and scenario around this.

She's not suffering from auditory, visual or commanding hallucinations either. As far as anyone's been shown, she retains insight.

To be honest, she doesn't even exhibit anything suggesting an Axis 1 disorder.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-31-2021, 08:50 AM
Doesn't sound to me like she is "locked up" at all.

her letter implies that she can't go outside at all because she has mental issues and is scared, not because she is forced and only allowed outside a few times a month by or something

So... why would/should they force her out of the clinic again when she is clearly not ready?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-31-2021, 10:07 AM
Because it's using a public resource.

I'm looking at this from the point of view of a public health service where all beds are pretty much a scarce resource, mental health beds included. If you don't need to be here, get out. Others do.

If this was a private hospital and they're paying via private insurance, then the insurance company would be on the doctor's ass regarding their progress - what's wrong with the patient, what can be achieved via staying in hospital and how long that'd take.

If this was some private place, they're paying out of pocket and she's staying because she's "scared" and wishes to live in a bubble/hotel and everyone involved is happy to pay for it - then she can continue living in a nursing-staffed hotel. Sure.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-01-2021, 01:19 AM
She showed immediate remorse. She doesn't pour hot water indiscriminately, there's a clear trigger and scenario around this.Yeah, and what if that same trigger happens when she sees a kid with red hair in the grocery store parking lot and she runs him over with her car.

I'm not really sure what kind of trigger you think would make that okay. "Well, when the get really stressed, they try and kill kids. But, c'mon, how often does THAT happen? It's probably fine."

She's not suffering from auditory, visual or commanding hallucinations either. As far as anyone's been shown, she retains insight.

To be honest, she doesn't even exhibit anything suggesting an Axis 1 disorder.Frankly, I don't think the 2ish minutes of screentime she's had across this series is sufficient for you to be drawing any conclusions as to her psychological profile.

If the doctors say she's no longer a danger, then fine. But someone that poured scalding water on her own child was either dangerously unstable, and needed to be in psychiatric care, or she's not...and she needed to be in jail.

She ALREADY harmed a child. You don't just get to be free to walk around after that, until someone determines that whatever was wrong with you is no longer wrong with you. Lest you harm ANOTHER child.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-01-2021, 04:24 AM
Because it's using a public resource.

I'm looking at this from the point of view of a public health service where all beds are pretty much a scarce resource, mental health beds included. If you don't need to be here, get out. Others do.

If this was a private hospital and they're paying via private insurance, then the insurance company would be on the doctor's ass regarding their progress - what's wrong with the patient, what can be achieved via staying in hospital and how long that'd take.

If this was some private place, they're paying out of pocket and she's staying because she's "scared" and wishes to live in a bubble/hotel and everyone involved is happy to pay for it - then she can continue living in a nursing-staffed hotel. Sure.

Why do you think she is mentally stable in the first place, so that she could leave?
I don't get your reasoning.

The show so far has shown nothing in that regard.
The opposite in fact, before episode 18. She's still extremely depressed, obviously.
Where would she even go to?
To the household that made her like this, when she is still recovering?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-01-2021, 12:42 PM
The source of her stress is Endeavor.

She married him, and he kept harassing her for various reasons - usually to do with producing and rearing a suitable heir.
She became to despise Endeavor, and when she sees her children she despises them as well since they remind her of him.
One time she saw that, and threw hot water over Todoroki.
She immediately apologized and tried to cool his wound with ice (rookie mistake btw, use water not ice).

We're not shown direct evidence, but it sounded like she got the shit beaten out of her by Endeavor afterwards.
She landed in a psychiatric ward and has been there for like.. 10 years.

So what's her diagnosis that lead to her actions?
I'll actually answer your previous question first about jail - yeah, she should have gone to jail here.

Mental illness (if we were to diagnose this in the first place, more on that later) doesn't excuse you from crime. What does excuse you from crime was whether or not you had insight - Do you realise that what you are doing is wrong, and are you responsible for your actions? Sounds like she's 100% responsible for them.

When insight is impaired, then you are not in fact responsible for your actions. Mental illness is one explanation for impaired insight when it fits. Dementia is another. Technically alcohol and drugs are too, but society holds you responsible for taking these things so you can't just get pissed and kill people - so unless your drinks got spiked it's still on you.

Why did she try to throw hot water on the kid anyway? Todoroki looks like she saw someone she hated and wanted to do something to them. That's not a mental illness. That's poor impulse control. She hates a certain dude, and when other people look like that certain dude she tries to hurt them. The closest thing you can maybe chalk this up to is maybe PTSD - but she despises them, not fears them.. so that doesn't actually fit. She doesn't fit the diagnostic criteria for Impulse Control Disorder either from the available evidence.

Let's say it's PTSD/ICD then. What treatment has she had thus far and how has that progressed? From what we've seen, she's seen talking to her children. She's not seen fearing them or wishing to harm them in any way from available footage. When they mention her "progress" they say she's "getting out more" or some shit.

As for "where would she go?" - parents' home, your own house if you have the means, other homeless shelters if not. Not everyone who lived at home and has an existing "stressor" there lands in hospital for 10 years.

Back to mental health recovery, not everyone is symptom free by the time they leave hospital. Patients can have chronic suicidal ideation or hallucinations that they live with long term. Those who are diagnosed with mental health conditions related to their crime can be discharged on Forensic Orders where the State enforces them to take whatever treatment is necessary as an outpatient when suitable.

To be honest, if I was non-medical, I'd probably buy the "She did something bad and seems a bit crazy, she should stay in hospital" story. That's different when you work in an Emergency department for six years and get to see which psych presentations get admitted and which don't.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-01-2021, 01:12 PM
It basically boils down to, 2 questions.

1. Is she still dangerous? If yes, then she should not be free, period.
2. If yes to 1, then does she control her own action? If yes, she belong in prison, if no, a psych ward.

To be honest, if I was non-medical, I'd probably buy the "She did something bad and seems a bit crazy, she should stay in hospital" story. That's different when you work in an Emergency department for six years and get to see which psych presentations get admitted and which don't.Well either:
A. It's different in Japan.
B. Endeavor is pulling strings to keep her there
C. Writer don't know nuthin'

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-01-2021, 01:23 PM
I'd say:

1. no.
2. n/a

Partly A but mostly C. Just another "shit on TV/Movies that don't actually work that way IRL".

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-01-2021, 03:23 PM
I honestly got the impression that it was B. Endeavor had her put away because Shoto is his legacy that he can't have her damaging. But he had her committed instead of sent to prison to also protect his reputation.

neflight86
Mon, 08-02-2021, 09:12 AM
I think there's room for a reasonable suspicion that he simply still loves his family and doesn't/didn't want to harm it any further.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-02-2021, 09:52 AM
I think that's the case NOW. I don't think that was the case when he first had her put away.

Endeavor's entire existence revolved around surpassing All-Might. And if he couldn't do it, he'd make sure his kid did.

Now that he's surpassed All-Might, he's started to realize that was a stupid way to live and his priorities have shifted.

neflight86
Mon, 08-16-2021, 07:48 AM

Endeavour decided it was best for his family to leave them alone. A bold move. The difference between forgiveness and atonement is interesting, I suppose.

So Aizawa and Present Mike were school bros- that explains why they have shared more than a few scenes throughout the series. I don't know that I buy (nor understand what good it does narratively) the attempt to retroactively soften his 'extreme expulsion' methods now. Did those students get readmitted into the general course? I don't get it.

Do you think the flashback was perhaps a bit too truncated? Did you get an adequate feel for this character who became Kurogiri, or does it feel more like retcon?

Scraps at a fine restaurant is a nice analogy, but was AFO's plan each time to collect corpses to make into nomus?

Shigaraki is getting his own training/torture arc?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-16-2021, 01:08 PM
Do you think the flashback was perhaps a bit too truncated? Did you get an adequate feel for this character who became Kurogiri, or does it feel more like retcon?It feels like a retcon. Naruto did this much better with Obito by introducing the character in a flashback arc first, then having the reveal much later.

Shigaraki is getting his own training/torture arc?Well he's gotta get SOMETHING. As he's been positioned as Deku's nemesis. If Deku is going to get 6-7 more quirks, Shigaraki can't stay like he is.

MFauli
Tue, 08-17-2021, 04:10 PM
Was Kurogiri always known to be a nomu?! I thought he was a regular quirk user who just looked that way. Feels like a total retcon that he's now an artificially made being like that crazy nomu from season 1.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 08-17-2021, 05:55 PM
Was Kurogiri always known to be a nomu?!Definitely not. They even said they thought Nomu were mindless. Which Kurogiri clearly isn't.

That said, Nomu are supposedly mindless because having 4 quirks erodes your mind. If Kurogiri is a Nomu, what are his other quirks? And does he still have a mind because he has less than 4?

neflight86
Tue, 08-24-2021, 08:36 AM
My Villain Academia begins. How long will Shigaraki's training arc be, knowing he survives it by it being a flashback?

I feel like some things about this ark were changed from the manga, but I'll chime in once I'm sure.

But as a freebie trivia, apparently the mad doctor character had his name changed after his introduction (to the one the anime uses) because, for whatever reason, the author made his name a pretty obvious parody of a real life code name for war crimes committed by the Japanese army during WW2 including human experiments. You can imagine the backlash. More info if you're interested: Name controversy (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-02-03/my-hero-academia-character-gets-name-change-following-controversy/.156076)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-25-2021, 12:47 PM
Ep 108

------------------------

I've gotten used to physical durability being superhuman, but people barely sleeping for 1 month just makes me laugh.

neflight86
Thu, 08-26-2021, 07:32 AM
Where's your shounen spirit, man?

Not that I'm going to call this realistic, but I recall hearing of studies where people would force themselves to take 15 minute power naps every four hours on the dot and actually went for months without proper sleep. The idea, as I remember, was that by only sleeping for a super short interval, you could 'train' your brain to immediately enter REM4 level sleep- the best quality sleep where your body rejuvenates the most, almost instantly and for the duration of the power nap, whereas normal sleep fluctuates between levels 1-4 and our individual sleep quality varies thusly day to day. It was a fragile system, whereby if a participant missed even one of these naps by a few minutes, they would immediately 'crash' and sleep for hours and have to reset the pattern slowly... Can't cite the study, and maybe it was all an urban myth, but I thought it was interesting and could slightly rationalize this scenario.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-26-2021, 08:30 AM
The rational in real life is that you make sleeping more frequent in order to shorten overall duration.

Here they shorten duration and make sleeps less frequent. The dude looks half dead anyway, so whatever.

The real life situation is indeed interesting and I attempted it for a while, but my life doesn't run like clockwork so I can't be guaranteed sleep at a moment's notice.

David75
Thu, 08-26-2021, 09:47 AM
For the Vendée-Globe and similar individual boat races, they also fraction their sleep but with longer naps: 2 or 3 hours from memory.

MFauli
Sat, 08-28-2021, 06:58 AM
This is so bad.

Introducing another evil organization just so the author can give the usual villains a hero-moment? Flashbacks to evoke sympathy? Fucking give me a break! These are murderous asshole villains who don't deserve any sympathy. EVERY villain in every fictional story ever has a tragic past of sorts, but it never excuses the villainous actions in the present. These past 2 episodes feel like the author is that close to making the villains join the heroes, at least he's preparing for that bs.

Fuck Toga, I don't care what she went through or about any "determination" she's showcasing during battle. She's a psycho killer and all I want to see is her locked up or killed in battle. Same for all the other villains in Togarashi's group.

Also, it needs to be said for once: They artstyle of this anime sucks. ALL characters look like children/have child faces, so whenever someone is supposed to be an adult, it's SUPER weird how they're just a child face on a taller body. That was very irritating this episode with th blue-skinned woman. But it's also an issue with al the heroe students, and all female characters. I'm not one of the pro-censorship idiots who can't discern fiction from reality, but I just hate how there's hardly any difference between children and adult faces in this series' character designs. Bad artstyle.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-29-2021, 02:04 AM
I don't really see how Toga's past is supposed to be tragic or evoke sympathy. It pretty much just shows that she's always been a psycho.

Shigaraki though, yeah, he definitely had some tragic shit happen to him that's been wiped from his memory.

neflight86
Sun, 08-29-2021, 07:51 AM
This is s portrait of the origin of a broken mind. Nothing more or less. She didn't get a hero moment, she got a bit of development with the a bonus power up. No one's calling her a hero, though she is a popular character. If the Joker happens to defeat/kill Two Face, no one is suggesting he is a hero even if he did something inadvertently heroic.

Mfauli, for the character designs, that is almost pure personal taste you are complaining about. I think you want more angled character designs as you associate rounded features with childlike features. Horikoshi's art is a big draw for the series, actually. He has some pretty good character designs (though costume design I would also criticize) and a good sense of paneling to make the most of it, which the anime reproduces very well consistently.

Shoto and ice manipulator guy would make a good team if they were on the same side.

Looks like Shigaraki got an AOE upgrade.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-31-2021, 11:28 AM
I was pretty happy to see Ochako's quirk being shown to be absolutely lethal.

Though, the same could be said for having blood explode inside you.

MFauli
Sat, 09-04-2021, 06:07 PM
new episode:

Yeah, I still don't give a shit about the villain's feelings and story. They're murders and they don't deserve any sympathy. Baffling choice to go forward with the plot. But it's probably testament to how shallow the heroes are.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-04-2021, 11:28 PM
It's the villain's training arc man. They're all powering up.

neflight86
Tue, 09-07-2021, 07:53 AM
new episode:

Yeah, I still don't give a shit about the villain's feelings and story. They're murders and they don't deserve any sympathy. Baffling choice to go forward with the plot. But it's probably testament to how shallow the heroes are.

They are fighting to survive. Their stories don't have to be heroic- just interesting. Twice getting his trauma cleared up by having a bone broken is a neat free powerup and even the clones fighting Redestro boss were a cool scene, as was the tower crumbling. If you don't understand why long-standing villains are getting backstory during a time of duress, all of your previous comparisons to Naruto fall flat. This is shounen 101 story bite to accompany a fight; save animation budget, pad time, and flesh out the world. At this point, I don't even know what you are looking for here because your standards seem to shift constantly, so MhA probably isn't the show for you.

Arc still feels rushed, and I can now confirm scenes were omitted, which is too bad because I think the MvA could have taken the rest of the season and been a hype way to send it off.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 09-07-2021, 09:05 AM
I think it's weird Twice's clones seem to, have the powers of the people he's copying? So that's two of them now that can suddenly copy people's powers?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-07-2021, 10:05 AM
I agree that it shouldn't happen because now everyone is everything.

neflight86
Tue, 09-07-2021, 10:19 AM
Twice did it first, when his Dabi Clone flame blasted Aizawa at the beginning of of season 3, during the villain attack. Toru's is apparently a power up, and that guy from class B also straight up copies powers with limitations. It is becoming a bit too saturated now as a power concept, I agree.

MFauli
Sat, 09-11-2021, 03:05 PM
episode 111:

- why is he superhumanly fast?

- how did he survive the big guy's attack?

This fight feels like such an asspull, lol.

David75
Sun, 09-12-2021, 01:54 AM
I didn't remember his power could travel through matter and transfer to other objects and then people.
Pretty gore episode by MHA standards.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-12-2021, 12:56 PM
Man, I haven't watched all episodes yet... but twice is such a fricking cool character. The way is VA speaks is so awesome as well.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-12-2021, 05:07 PM
Yeah, Shigaraki suuuuuucks.

"My dad didn't approve of my childhood dream and slapped me once. So I'm not sad I disintegrated my whole family."

- why is he superhumanly fast?Speed training?

- how did he survive the big guy's attack?Toughness training? I didn't really understand the explanation for how that attack actually worked anyway...

----

So...I was watching an older clip of MHA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kaOX1tEm6I&t=49s) and...isn't the doctor that tells Deku he's quirkless the mad scientist (https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/bokunoheroacademia/images/a/a1/Kyudai_Garaki_%28Anime%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20210830065207) that works for the League of Villains?!

It's definitely him! He's got the same weird glasses! Wtf did he do to Deku?!

MFauli
Mon, 09-13-2021, 02:16 AM
Speed training?

Toughness training?

So, why was Deku ever sad about being quirkless when you can just train yourself to be a super hero?

neflight86
Mon, 09-13-2021, 06:13 AM
So, why was Deku ever sad about being quirkless when you can just train yourself to be a super hero?
The new physical abilities are from fighting Gigantomachia for two months; plain old shounen 'all abilities+' buff from his mini training arc. You're a bit late to start complaining about that just now. There have been groans about characters having generic toughness and speed not applicable to their actual quirks since... Stain?

Spinner really does look like someone who can't get stuff done. His TNMT cosplay is even inferior to Stain's.

Shigaraki has, apparently, the absolute worst luck/timing for discovering his quirk out of all characters in MhA. Felt especially bad for the dog.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-13-2021, 09:19 AM
You're a bit late to start complaining about that just now. There have been groans about characters having generic toughness and speed not applicable to their actual quirks since... Stain?I assume he was one of the people complaining.

And as always, the counterargument is...this is a shonen series. Your magic powers are never your only powers.

MFauli
Mon, 09-13-2021, 09:51 AM
I assume he was one of the people complaining.

And as always, the counterargument is...this is a shonen series. Your magic powers are never your only powers.

Crap argument, but if that's your iq level, ok.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-13-2021, 10:49 AM
Crap argument, but if that's your iq level, ok.That is the level I set my IQ at when I watch shonen anime. Because that is the shonen IQ level.

But like neflight86 said, the entire series has been this. From the first time Eraserhead fought using bandages that have nothing to do with his powers. If you're still complaining about it at this point, do everyone a favor and stop...fucking...watching.

MFauli
Mon, 09-13-2021, 11:36 AM
That is the level I set my IQ at when I watch shonen anime. Because that is the shonen IQ level.

And yet shounen anime like Naruto (until the time skip) or HXH had no isse keep iq high, no bullshit upgrades.

It just undermines the whole initial drama. Deku could have just trained and become One Punch Man - or at least the stongest no-quirk hero. Would actually have been a much more intriguing plot: "The strongest hero without super powers"-.

David75
Mon, 09-13-2021, 11:41 AM
Watch batman then

neflight86
Mon, 09-13-2021, 12:25 PM
And yet shounen anime like Naruto (until the time skip) or HXH had no isse keep iq high, no bullshit upgrades.

I've been waiting, and you just sprung my trap card. /yugioh

Do you remember how, in Hunter x Hunter, at the end of the initial Hunter Exam Gon squeezed (with a single hand) and broke the arm of one of the strongest characters, Illumi? I remember. He was what, 12? Illumi was late teens or early twenties, and a super assassin? Remember how Nen (potential physical enhancement) was introduced in the very next arc?

Naruto... not again... that is not a great example of what you are advocating... Every single ninja has a baseline of superhuman abilities and endurance gained by simply training- same as BnHA.

Superhuman characteristics are standard in pretty much all shounen stories - most anime for that matter.

I'm starting to feel that, if Hero Academia had been what came out 20 years ago instead, you would be complaining about how this new Naruto garbage isn't living up to the 'greats' of old and fudging what should be humanly possible... You're just old enough to see fiction for what it is, and forcing too much internal logic on an abstraction to begin with is only going to fuel your own inner 'comic book guy'. Are some things silly? Yes. Do a few things not match up to reality, or even try? Oh yeah. But is complaining about that really enriching your enjoyment of... anything?

Surely you have some other commentary, deep down, trying to claw its way out that will spin our heads with your perceptive insights on the metaphorical relationship between the villain losing the hands 'holding himself back' for a power up, or how hero society as a whole and the nature of professional public safety stewardship had a hand in these current conflicts, or maybe who can even safely fight Shigaraki at this point... or maybe the OST is cool sometimes? Whatever it is, I would like to hear about that much more than "This is dumb- see you next week".

Would actually have been a much more intriguing plot: "The strongest hero without super powers"-.

Also, as for this concept, I would recommend you read the 'Mashle' manga (also in WsJ)- it's pretty much about 'What if Clark Kent enrolled in Hogwarts'?

MFauli
Mon, 09-13-2021, 01:24 PM
I've been waiting, and you just sprung my trap card. /yugioh

Do you remember how, in Hunter x Hunter, at the end of the initial Hunter Exam Gon squeezed (with a single hand) and broke the arm of one of the strongest characters, Illumi? I remember. He was what, 12? Illumi was late teens or early twenties, and a super assassin? Remember how Nen (potential physical enhancement) was introduced in the very next arc?

Naruto... not again... that is not a great example of what you are advocating... Every single ninja has a baseline of superhuman abilities and endurance gained by simply training- same as BnHA.

Superhuman characteristics are standard in pretty much all shounen stories - most anime for that matter.

I'm starting to feel that, if Hero Academia had been what came out 20 years ago instead, you would be complaining about how this new Naruto garbage isn't living up to the 'greats' of old and fudging what should be humanly possible... You're just old enough to see fiction for what it is, and forcing too much internal logic on an abstraction to begin with is only going to fuel your own inner 'comic book guy'. Are some things silly? Yes. Do a few things not match up to reality, or even try? Oh yeah. But is complaining about that really enriching your enjoyment of... anything?

Surely you have some other commentary, deep down, trying to claw its way out that will spin our heads with your perceptive insights on the metaphorical relationship between the villain losing the hands 'holding himself back' for a power up, or how hero society as a whole and the nature of professional public safety stewardship had a hand in these current conflicts, or maybe who can even safely fight Shigaraki at this point... or maybe the OST is cool sometimes? Whatever it is, I would like to hear about that much more than "This is dumb- see you next week".

Also, as for this concept, I would recommend you read the 'Mashle' manga (also in WsJ)- it's pretty much about 'What if Clark Kent enrolled in Hogwarts'?

You're 100% missing the point, neflight.

HXH, Naruto and other series never made me *feel* like the hero did such an asspull that ruined the whole show's premise.

Gon breaking Illumi's hand? That was perfectly plausible, Gon had already been displayed to have superhuman abilities, and that was him fuled by rage.

Yes, everyone in Naruto has superhuman abilities - that's established as a premise. It is NOT a premise in BnHA! In BnHA the premise is: No quirk -> loser. Had the premise been that physical training leads to such superhuman abilities, the whole drama about Deku being quirkless wouldn't have worked. Tthat's why it's so bad.

And Naruto DID become this bad in the time skip, mainly when Sasuke casually defeated Deidara. That was Naruto's jumpin-the-shark moment and it only got worse from there. Meanwhile HXH has only gotten better and went on to explain power upgrades in vast detail - too much detail some people would say. Even the scene with Illumi's broken arm was explained: Gon pretty much used nen without knowing about it. Just like his rage later on would let him defeat Neferpitou.

It's an insult to both HXH as well as your own iq to draw parallels to BnHA here.

neflight86
Mon, 09-13-2021, 03:17 PM
You're 100% missing the point, neflight.

HXH, Naruto and other series never made me *feel* like the hero did such an asspull that ruined the whole show's premise.

So we're debating your feelings... Yes, I definitely missed that point. I wondered why I was the only one providing examples. Understood. Unfortunately, if your irritation stems from notions unique to you, there isn't much discussion to be had- it just sounds like contrarianism to an outsider like me.

Gon breaking Illumi's hand? That was perfectly plausible, Gon had already been displayed to have superhuman abilities, and that was him fuled by rage.

I agree on the 'rage' portion, but nothing in the show suggested he should have superhuman grip strength. Remember how he gripped at Hisoka's arms (both hands) with determination to live in the hunter exam when he was being choked out? Why weren't Hisoka's arms twizzlers after that? Because that wasn't a power/strength that Gon had.

When he did it to Illumi it was unexpected- that was the point of the scene- that he would eventually be a great threat due to the potential to grow, but the argument you made was that there should not be any unforeseen power spikes in anime, and this was one such spike. Is it nit-picky? Yes. For you and me.

Yes, everyone in Naruto has superhuman abilities - that's established as a premise. It is NOT a premise in BnHA! In BnHA the premise is: No quirk -> loser. Had the premise been that physical training leads to such superhuman abilities, the whole drama about Deku being quirkless wouldn't have worked. Tthat's why it's so bad.

This is not established as a premise. How do you explain non-ninja folks in that world? They are plain people who haven't trained their way into ninja-dom; that's all. But the show isn't about them, so its easy to forget that all of the named characters had a base improvement in abilities by their training. Same logic in BnHA. Matter of fact, the premise of BnHA is that 80% of the population have powers, a much higher percentage than Naturo's populace are 'with gift'. The only one who actively shunned Midorya for not having a power was Bakugo. This argument doesn't hold up because it is demonstrably wrong.

The drama about being quirkless was address when All Might told Izuku to be a police officer or something. The actual message/moral/tone of the story has always been doing good with what you have. Izuku's lamentation and still wanting to enroll in U.A. without having a quirk should tell you that being a hero is all about mindset- not powers, though they are necessary. That all being said, once again, I agree with you that the limitations for what normal people can achieve in this show are fuzzy, and its fine to take issue with it, but to say that Deku would reach All-Might levels with plain old training does not appear to be a possibility.

Meanwhile HXH has only gotten better and went on to explain power upgrades in vast detail - too much detail some people would say. Even the scene with Illumi's broken arm was explained: Gon pretty much used nen without knowing about it.

That's known as a ret-con, and it's pretty obvious unless you are willfully trying to not see it, which I don't blame you for.

It's an insult to both HXH as well as your own iq to draw parallels to BnHA here.

No need for personal attacks. We're here to observe and discuss this show, ignoring that you drew the parallels first. Now that I better understand what bothers you about this so much, week after week- an invisible standard of continuity you alone can vet- I feel like I better get what makes you tick and why Boku's fuzzy character strength continues to hold you hostage and torment you. Thanks for the reply.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-13-2021, 06:23 PM
If we're after a plausible explanation, quirks have been talked about as a form of human evolution. The trend continues when we're talking about having people develop their quirks and getting stronger etc.

From there, I'm going to say that those with quirks, along with those who have acquired quirks, are capable of training to improving their baseline and quirk abilities because they're capable of furthering "evolution".

Don't try to explain it on a genetic/molecular level.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-13-2021, 11:23 PM
Surely you have some other commentary, deep down, trying to claw its way out that will spin our heads with your perceptive insights on the metaphorical relationship between the villain losing the hands 'holding himself back' for a power up, or how hero society as a whole and the nature of professional public safety stewardship had a hand in these current conflicts, or maybe who can even safely fight Shigaraki at this point... or maybe the OST is cool sometimes? Whatever it is, I would like to hear about that much more than "This is dumb- see you next week".We all know the real reason MF shits on this show is because the show shits on Mineta, and he feels attacked, because he IS Mineta.

Even the scene with Illumi's broken arm was explained: Gon pretty much used nen without knowing about it.Show me that panel.

neflight86
Tue, 09-14-2021, 08:00 AM
If we're after a plausible explanation, quirks have been talked about as a form of human evolution. The trend continues when we're talking about having people develop their quirks and getting stronger etc.

From there, I'm going to say that those with quirks, along with those who have acquired quirks, are capable of training to improving their baseline and quirk abilities because they're capable of furthering "evolution".

That's more or less my thinking. It is plausible/consistent enough to me, and my brain can fudge the rest of the details for sake of being entertained.

MFauli
Tue, 09-14-2021, 11:05 AM
You're all pathetic fanboys and you know you're wrong, but I love you nonetheless, guys <3

neflight86
Sat, 09-18-2021, 10:38 AM

This wound up like someone landing on your most developed Broadway in Monopoly; a complete 180 in power and material assets. It makes sense that he would inherit an organized infrastructure to oppose the hero network, because Sigaraki really has about zero leadership capacity displayed thus far; just a twisted charisma and an OP quirk. The Toga death fakeout was cute due to how it wasn't dragged out.

Did Spinner end up doing anything?

MFauli
Wed, 09-22-2021, 04:03 AM
I don't get how Shigaraki is suddenly invincible against all these attacks that not even Guts would be able to withstand ('b-but broken hands!!1', yeah, no). The level of plot armor is disgustingly high.

Oh, and then the mych cooler opponent turns from strong leader to clown servant in an instant ...

I hate this shit anime and I want everyone to realize how shit it is :/

neflight86
Wed, 09-22-2021, 09:36 AM
Guts is a strange measure of 'toughness', but okay. We've been over the (assumed) theory of all base physical traits being upped in this quirk based society, plus his training on top of that. That's plenty of justification, or at least as consistent as other characters in the show have been so far.

Oh, and then the mych cooler opponent turns from strong leader to clown servant in an instant ...

Agree with you there. This is actually a saving grace in how a bit of Manga got cut out in this adaptation. If it were there (his establishing scenes), Redestro would have been a more full fledged antagonist, and this 180 would hurt even more. So that's a happy accident.

I hate this shit anime and I want everyone to realize how shit it is :/

Why- I mean the 'wanting everyone else to dislike it' part? Also, you are clearly enjoying some facet of your experience with MhA if you keep coming back each week.

Neither of us is going to be miraculously changing the other's mind, so agreeing to disagree is the best we can settle on. See you next week.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 09-22-2021, 11:47 AM
I hate this shit anime and I want everyone to realize how shit it isLet me assure you that the last thing you not liking something is going to accomplish is getting me to also not like it. The value of your particular opinions is almost nonexistent to me.

neflight86
Mon, 09-27-2021, 07:56 AM
Looks like they cut out on the Boku no Endgame cliffhanger. Hawks, you're in too deep.

I forgot these events were happening in tandem with the hero work study shenanigans.

Flight next? That's a pretty useful quirk.

MFauli
Sat, 10-01-2022, 05:32 AM
Episode 114:

Alright, there's so much stupid stuff happening that I won't even bother addressing anything in specific. I know some of you still enjoy this anime, so I'll try to keep my hate-watch reactions to a minimum. No promises though ...

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-01-2022, 12:38 PM
didn't expect the first episode to go back into action right away.

Nice.

And it starts with bunny-girl, even nicer.

MFauli
Sat, 10-08-2022, 06:22 AM
episode 115:

Not going to mention the persisting complaints, but: If this were an anime where important characters die, electric boy just triggered several red flags lol. Cool moment though for him, I always like when side-characters get to be important in big fights.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-08-2022, 01:30 PM
Kaminari has good taste.

So if discharging electricity make him stupid, will absorbing all that electricity make him a genius?

Rabbit chick is pretty cool. Makes me want Carrot to join the Strawhats even more!

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-09-2022, 03:04 AM
These episodes are good. They highlight some good moments.

Rabbit girl kicks some serious ass. What a unit. I want more of her - in every way imagineable ;).

neflight86
Tue, 10-11-2022, 12:59 PM
Just dove into this season, and it sure didn't waste time on much recap, thankfully. They made full use of the momentum built last season.

Alright, there's so much stupid stuff happening that I won't even bother addressing anything in specific. I know some of you still enjoy this anime, so I'll try to keep my hate-watch reactions to a minimum.

Don't worry, we know each other here; you're not gonna hurt our feelings, so let 'em rip when things stick out to you, good or bad!

Kaminari has good taste.

So if discharging electricity make him stupid, will absorbing all that electricity make him a genius?

Rabbit chick is pretty cool.

I don't remember those two having any particular 'moments' to build this ship on... but it has been a year. Usagi is pretty dope as a tomboy 'kill em all' hero. I can't imagine someone like that running an agency though. "I'll know when I kick em!" is decisive, but not very prudent. I suppose her raw skill makes up for her lacking in... professionalism?

Kind of sad to see Hawks manipulating Twice like he is, even affirming he has a good heart and is simply on the wrong side of this conflict.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-15-2022, 12:13 PM
S6 Ep3

---------------------------------------

This is by far going to be the best season if the 2nd arc is going to be awesome as well.
Next episode already looks like a banger.
This epsiode was great as well.

Twice was a cool dude. Too bad it didn't work out better for him.
I'll pretend this is a war and not just "Hero vs Villain" when it comes to him.

MFauli
Sat, 10-15-2022, 05:40 PM
I mean, how good this episode was for me depends on whether Twice and Hawks really are dead. If they're both still alive in one of the next episodes, all the drama and gravitas of this episode will be ruined.

Assuming they're dead: Finally a good episode of this series since season 1. While I find it ridiculous that Hawks would call Twice "a good person" when he's member of a murder organization, the fight and how it went down was nice.

Is this the last season of the anime or is the manga still ongoing? It'd be nice if at least 1 or 2 of the younger heroes died, too. Just make it feel more "real".

I don't know how I should feel about Falco being able to go up against Destro. Destro is basically the villains' #2, only defeated by Shigaraki himself. Falco was always one of the strongest young heroes, but to be level field with the villains' #2? That puts the latter at too much of a disadvantage.

Oh well, if the season stays like this, I might actually enjoy it.

exglitch67
Sat, 10-15-2022, 08:29 PM
I don't know how I should feel about Falco being able to go up against Destro. Destro is basically the villains' #2, only defeated by Shigaraki himself. Falco was always one of the strongest young heroes, but to be level field with the villains' #2? That puts the latter at too much of a disadvantage.

That is just because he was underground?

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-16-2022, 03:32 AM
That is just because he was underground?

And Destroy lost half his limbs, meaning he is only as strong as the artificial limbs allow to withstand power. Considering that Heroes can smash through houses and steel like it's nothing. Destro is quite weak when it comes to power vs power.

MFauli
Sun, 10-16-2022, 03:59 AM
He lost limbs? I thought he regenerated those? Didn't look like he lost anything.

But I didn't know that Falco was more powerful underground, mea culpa.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-16-2022, 02:55 PM
You didn't notice the scene where his metal leg got broken, even though it was in full focus for like 5 seconds in the middle of the tug-of-war?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-17-2022, 04:04 AM
But I didn't know that Falco was more powerful underground, mea culpa.He's more powerful the darker it is. An underground tunnel is pretty dark.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-22-2022, 02:16 PM
S6 EP4

---------------------------------------------------

Yikes!

Crap. I wish, while at the same time not knowing how exactly, they would've reduced the monologue scenes a little bit.
Some of them were okay, but Erasure's were a bit funky as it felt like everyone just stopped doing stuff. Should've made it look like time stood still or something.

Either way, the episode was absolutely amazing again. I'm surprised at how much detail everything had.
DJ-Hero destroying the tube and Shigaraki falling like a real lifeless body looked amazing. Aint seeing that kind of thing often.

And how insanely awesome is Mirko, lol. Total badass. That girl is the Michelle Rodríguez of anime.

Oh... and even though everything is fine, I kinda want to watch the main character do something again. Not necessarily something groundbreaking... but I want his abilities to develop as well to meet the Villain's progress. I hope the second part of this season will handle that.

MFauli
Sat, 10-22-2022, 02:20 PM
Sigh. It was an okay-to-good episode. But so much hinges on how the situation plays out. If all the heroes survive, it will have been bad. Hawk better be dead. I'll scream if the only dead hero will be the obvious dead guy who's near Shigaraki. What a plot-sacrifice if there ever was one, lol.

What THE HECK is the glass of these tubes made of btw?! These heroes are bursting through stones and walls, but a thin, glass-like layer can withstand 2 of Miruko's kicks? Wat. Was a bit dumbdumb.

Btw the weirdest part that I just realized: Deku is nowhere to be seen.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-22-2022, 03:38 PM
What THE HECK is the glass of these tubes made of btw?!
https://i.imgflip.com/4rfogr.gif

Btw the weirdest part that I just realized: Deku is nowhere to be seen.He's with the group that doesn't get to do anything unless the villains get past the rest of the pro heroes.

Technically, none of the students should be there, at all. But they took 3 of them because "big AOEs".

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-23-2022, 05:08 AM
Bunny girl was kicking with torn limbs. Cut her some slack.

MFauli
Sat, 10-29-2022, 05:35 AM
Season 5 - episode 4:

Ugh, so now the nonsense started. Why is that Machia guy alive even thouhg Shigaraki sent Decay into all directions? And is any of the villains alive that was at the hospital? They didn't feel. And who is that Machia guy anyway, feels like such an "out of nowhere" thing to introduce, yet carrying so much importance to the plot suddenly.

Hawk surviving was what I feared, as expected only side-heroes nobody cares about died.

Well, can't really say much more, because we'll have to see what the new status quo is next week. Although I wonder: If all Shigaraki wants is to destroy the world, why doesn't have just keep his decay ability active until he's exhausted? He could just eat into the world from where he stands.

David75
Sat, 10-29-2022, 05:43 AM
Machia was in a training arc 2 cours ago I think. He was there to train young vilains à la My Vilain Academia or Boku no Vilain Academia.
Shigaraki had to progress to be deemed useful by Machia.
Now that his decay got upgraded and he seems to have gotten all for one, he's become Machia's master.

We don't know how powerful Machia is, but I'd say he's a gigantic berserker destroyer.

Edit: Shigaraki probably can shape his power at will and didn't go too far below the surface where most of the villains are.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-29-2022, 08:23 PM
Brutal...

Ugh, so now the nonsense started. Why is that Machia guy alive even thouhg Shigaraki sent Decay into all directions? And is any of the villains alive that was at the hospital?Two different locations.

Only the Doctor, Shigaraki and the Nomus were in the hospital. Everyone else is at Liberation Front HQ.

neflight86
Mon, 10-31-2022, 10:55 AM
RIP Crust going out like a terminator.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-31-2022, 11:14 AM
that episode was really intense. I actually felt the horror.... amazing.

MFauli
Sat, 11-05-2022, 02:38 PM
It will be the absolute lamest if Gran Torino died in this arc. "Yay, let's self-sacrifice the OLD hero". :|

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-05-2022, 04:41 PM
It will be the absolute lamest if Gran Torino died in this arc. "Yay, let's self-sacrifice the OLD hero". :|

It's not like they could possibly make it right for you, could they?

"NO IMPORTANT CHARACTER EVER DIES"
- important villain dies
"NO HERO EVER DIES"
- hero dies
"NO NAMED HERO DIES"
-named hero dies
"OH OF COURSE THEY'D CHOOSE THE OLD ONE TO DIE"

with this trend going, you'd be annoyed when the main character dies and has to pass on his trait.

MFauli
Sat, 11-05-2022, 10:04 PM
It's not like they could possibly make it right for you, could they?

"NO IMPORTANT CHARACTER EVER DIES"
- important villain dies
"NO HERO EVER DIES"
- hero dies
"NO NAMED HERO DIES"
-named hero dies
"OH OF COURSE THEY'D CHOOSE THE OLD ONE TO DIE"

with this trend going, you'd be annoyed when the main character dies and has to pass on his trait.

Lol, nah.

I'm basically criticizing the same as with Naruto: None of the kids dies. Well, except Neji, because Kishimoto hated Neji for "reasons".

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-06-2022, 05:05 AM
Oh great, would that be the thing you say when someone of the main cast dies? I couldn't make this shit up any better.

Either way: This episode still has the feeling of an ominous force about to win or get it's prey.
I think they are doing great to achieve that kind of feeling. I didn't expect it from this show.
It's almost on the level of being scary/creepy. *I* felt "hunted" during this episode.
I just hope the heroes "winning" here won't be a complete ass pull.

I do understand that it has been shown that his revival is incomplete and all that, but that shouldn't be the only excuse.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-06-2022, 07:02 PM
I just hope the heroes "winning" here won't be a complete ass pull.Shigaraki ain't Madara. There's enough heroes here that him losing wouldn't be much of an ass pull.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-07-2022, 04:09 AM
Shigaraki ain't Madara. There's enough heroes here that him losing wouldn't be much of an ass pull.

As long as Eraser is there maybe.
But as soon as he can use Decay basically no one can do a thing anymore due to his enhanced physical abilities (speed etc.)

David75
Mon, 11-07-2022, 08:09 AM
As I understand Decay, it should also work through air as it is a physical/matter medium. But for the sake of the show, they had to limit that since Shigaraki is already OP.

Deku basically also has the multiple quirks attributes. He's just extremely late compared to Shigaraki's growth.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-07-2022, 12:06 PM
As long as Eraser is there maybe.
But as soon as he can use Decay basically no one can do a thing anymore due to his enhanced physical abilities (speed etc.)I mean, there's a whole army of heroes there. Who knows what they can do that could effect the fight.

David75
Mon, 11-07-2022, 01:36 PM
Probably not much. My guess is that showing number 5 is out and number 5 couldn't get much done shows how helpless current heroes are.
Somehow that villain who was slaying what he saw as fake heroes was not entirely wrong now that Shigaraki is so steong: weak heroes are not what the world needs.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-07-2022, 02:55 PM
What the world needs is dependent on whatever powers Shigaraki uses. He has superspeed? You need a guy with a slow beam. Flame attacks? Send in the ice guy. Disintigrates whatever he touches? Need a guy who can phase though-...oh wait.

Point being. Even if Shigaraki has 10 different powers, you just need 10 different heroes that can counter those powers.

The trick right now is figuring out the breadth of his abilities without everyone dying.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-07-2022, 03:50 PM
Or you can have a hero strong enough to deal with all of those, like a Superman or Scarlet Witch.

David75
Mon, 11-07-2022, 10:37 PM
I'm wondering if Eri has the opposite power to Shigaraki's decay.
Then there's EraserHead, but he needs to be close enough to see Shigaraki or he can die from a decay wave.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-08-2022, 06:10 AM
Or you can have a hero strong enough to deal with all of those, like a Superman or Scarlet Witch.Sure. But we know that's going to be Deku. But he's not there yet.

In the meantime, I don't think all the other heroes are just going to let Shigaraki do whatever.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-12-2022, 06:01 AM
Episode 120

-----------------------

"It's illegal to make anaesthetic and put them to sleep"

The fuck lol.

First responders do this all the time.

MFauli
Sat, 11-12-2022, 12:42 PM
Episode 120

-----------------------

"It's illegal to make anaesthetic and put them to sleep"

The fuck lol.

Came here to post exactly this. WTF, putting a villain to peaceful sleep is FORBIDDEN?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-13-2022, 02:32 AM
"It's illegal to make anaesthetic and put them to sleep"I think she was referring to sending school kids to fight Gigantomachia, not the anesthetic.

neflight86
Thu, 11-17-2022, 01:02 PM
I think it may have been the use of anesthetic on an unwilling participant, but yeah; a strange thing to take time to mention when killing is not off the table as far as I know. Maybe it just serves to demonstrate what people who play by rules have to navigate in real time.

KrayZ33
Thu, 11-17-2022, 03:19 PM
I think Darth is right here, but I'm not sure what kind of "license" these kids have.
Isn't there this rule where you can't do actual hero work without a license unless it's just support or something?

MFauli
Thu, 11-17-2022, 04:49 PM
I think Darth is right here, but I'm not sure what kind of "license" these kids have.
Isn't there this rule where you can't do actual hero work without a license unless it's just support or something?

And that matters in the situation they are?

"OMG, he died! But at least he didn't use anesthesia on the villain. Good."

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-17-2022, 09:35 PM
I think it may have been the use of anesthetic on an unwilling participant, but yeah; a strange thing to take time to mention when killing is not off the table as far as I know.

I think killing IS illegal. That's why it was such a big deal that Hawks did it anyway.

MFauli
Thu, 11-17-2022, 10:05 PM
I think killing IS illegal. That's why it was such a big deal that Hawks did it anyway.

I meant the hero died in my above posting ...

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-18-2022, 01:36 PM
And that matters in the situation they are?

"OMG, he died! But at least he didn't use anesthesia on the villain. Good."You're missing what I'm saying. When she says "It's against the law", she's not saying it's against the law to use anesthesia on a villain, she's saying it's against the law for CREATI to use anesthesia on a villain. Because she's not a licensed hero. It's against the law for her to be fighting ANY villain without special permission.

MFauli
Fri, 11-18-2022, 01:38 PM
You're missing what I'm saying. When she says "It's against the law", she's not saying it's against the law to use anesthesia on a villain, she's saying it's against the law for CREATI to use anesthesia on a villain. Because she's not a licensed hero. It's against the law for her to be fighting ANY villain without special permission.

How does that make it less ridiculous? They are in the situation they are.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-18-2022, 01:42 PM
How does that make it less ridiculous? They are in the situation they are.That's why Midnight is telling them to do it anyway.

The situation being dire doesn't magically make it legal. It's STILL illegal. It's not like they're acting in self-defense. Midnight is actively sending them to engage Gigantomachia.

She might get in trouble for it later, but the situation is such that she's willing to suffer that punishment later.

It's also possible the law will look the other way, like they did with Stain. But, again, that still doesn't make it legal.

MFauli
Sat, 11-19-2022, 08:15 AM
Episode 121:

This is so fucking dumb. So fucking dumb. You really must shut off your brain 100% to get through this anime :/

EVERY TIME slowmotion will save the day. Every time.

And, ofc, only Shigaraki can throw his item so fast that nobody can dodge. And why did all the students throw all the boxes simultaneously when one is enough? Could have had many more chances.

And Shigaraki just can do whatever the writer wants him to do apparently. Did he really take a 100% One for All-punch and not even flinch?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-19-2022, 07:19 PM
And Shigaraki just can do whatever the writer wants him to do apparently. Did he really take a 100% One for All-punch and not even flinch?

Nomus can take a fuck-ton of them, so yeah.. The fact that he caught it in his mouth is funny though.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-19-2022, 08:14 PM
I think what we need to remember is that even All Might at his 100% did not easily subdue villains. He still had a tough time and didn't really OPM them all.

Since this entire story is weird in that physical training can make heroes with non-physical toughness related quirks become actually tough, I can accept villains being tougher for reasons.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-26-2022, 05:09 AM
Ep 122

----------------

Really cool ep, starting with Eraser being determined then Deku going all out. They better explain why AFO can control Shimura though. That keeps popping up and it'd be annoying if it's explained by "because he's powerful and has lots of quirks"

Todoroki cooling Endeavor could have been drawn better. If you wanted to cool someone as long and as much as possible, wrap him in ice. A hand on his back looks like nearly zero effort.

MFauli
Sat, 11-26-2022, 08:32 AM

It's such a lame cliffhanger when 99% chance is that Bakugo survives this. It WOULD be awesome and emotional if that attack had killed him, but this series hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt here.

And Shigaraka just withstanding ALL those 100% power punches as well as Endeavor's sun-like uber-temperature attack is just bullshit.

This whole fight WOULD be great if the writing wasn't so in-your-face braindead.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-26-2022, 02:47 PM
One inconsistency I did not appreciate was that Deku's arm is still getting wrecked. Deku managed to land a 100% hit on the first black Nomu during that Themepark Rescue bit really early on, and I thought the whole reason was because that Nomu had Impact Absorption. If Shigaraki is basically a Nomu now then the same rules should apply.

neflight86
Sat, 11-26-2022, 07:57 PM
It may be that he doesn't know how to use that quirk yet, if he has it. He was searching (his mind, I presume) for a quirk to break free from the beatdown and seemed lost until AfO somehow got to take over.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-26-2022, 08:20 PM
Impact absorption sounds like a passive quirk that doesn't require you to activate it prior to every punch like a parry. Like Regeneration.

From a plot-POV it sounds like something introduced once so that OFA could have a proper fight, but then they had to delete it so that other melee fighters can have a chance once OFA retired.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-27-2022, 12:10 AM
Eraser is such a badass..

neflight86
Sun, 11-27-2022, 10:00 PM
He's the most pure embodiment of the blue element in Magic: You don't get to play the game.

Janice
Sun, 11-27-2022, 10:52 PM
Yeah, this entire fight really doesn't make a lot of sense. Still, I just watched 114-122 in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed it, even with all the "wtf" moments.

MFauli
Sun, 12-04-2022, 11:35 AM
new episode:

Just one thing, otherwise I'd be writing 100000 words of rant:

Fuck Toga. Worst shit stain ever. I don't understand why this anime tries to present Shigaraki's group as "nice" people with these scenes where Toga and her guys talk. She's a psychopathic murderer and everything she says is bs. She's bitter that her "friend" got killed? DONT FUCKING BE A MURDERER YOURSELF THEN.

If there's any justice, Toga will be shred to pieces. However, seeing how even Shigaraki is already receiving his "prison free" card by making All for One the single bad guy, I have no hope. All these villains will get to live because theyre "nice". Fuck that.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-04-2022, 11:46 AM
I don't understand why this anime tries to present Shigaraki's group as "nice" people with these scenes where Toga and her guys talk. She's a psychopathic murderer and everything she says is bs. She's bitter that her "friend" got killed? DONT FUCKING BE A MURDERER YOURSELF THEN.
https://media.tenor.com/zoA98GopAt8AAAAC/agree-i-agree.gif

All these villains will get to live because theyre "nice". Fuck that.I mean, Twice was arguably the nicest of them and he is, presumably, dead.

neflight86
Sun, 12-04-2022, 09:37 PM
I don't understand why this anime tries to present Shigaraki's group as "nice" people with these scenes where Toga and her guys talk. She's a psychopathic murderer and everything she says is bs. She's bitter that her "friend" got killed? DONT FUCKING BE A MURDERER YOURSELF THEN.

I don't think they are portrayed as "nice"; they just get some scenes to banter and share their perspective(s). It isn't portrayed as heroic, though they do have feelings and value in things that might be empathetic, but you aren't expected to be on their side. They are tragic if you're feeling generous, and their misguided motivations are just to give them some drive and character moments because complex enemies are more interesting than flat mustache twirlers.

You don't like them or what they have done. Correct; the show isn't saying you should, but riding in silence would be pretty boring for the audience. Why not let their characters develop and interact a little?

MFauli
Sun, 12-04-2022, 11:33 PM
but you aren't expected to be on their side.

Disagree completely. This episode totally wanted you to empathize with Toga.

Fuck her.

neflight86
Mon, 12-05-2022, 03:45 PM
Empathize is different than sympathize.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-05-2022, 07:33 PM
Ochaco just straight up said "That's it? I've got people to rescue and you came to ask me this? You killed an old lady to ask me this?"

(to be fair, Toga just has to draw their blood. There's no proof that she killed an old lady)

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-05-2022, 11:44 PM
(to be fair, Toga just has to draw their blood. There's no proof that she killed an old lady)She didn't deny it though...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-06-2022, 12:17 AM
She didn't deny it though...

She got quite hung up on the "just to ask me this" and having her reason belittled.

But yes, she didn't deny it.

MFauli
Sat, 12-10-2022, 11:34 AM
episode 124:

Who THE FUCK cares?!

This anime tries SO HARD to make you empathize with its villains, but it just falls entirely flat. First third of the episode was more "Ain't I kawai-Toga" bs. Why tf should I care about the feelings of a mass murderer? Gtfo, Toga, all I want to see is your ripped apart dead body. I fucking hate her face.

And then the last 2/3 of the episode is a cringe speech of Dabi's. Why does the fight stop?! Why is everyone just waiting for Shigaragki to recover, only because some asshole mass murder is revealing he's someone's son?! "Hawk stabbed a fleeing villain" - SO WHAT, YOU'RE MURDERERS! In no plausible society would people side with you, you murder innocent citizens.

Really, REALLY bad episode and I hate how Ochaco let Toga run. Why did she do that? She knows Toga is a mass murderer, Fuck, she just told her that she dropped people from the sky just for funsies. Letting her run means she gets to murder MORE people. Wtf, Ochaco?!

DarthEnderX
Sat, 12-10-2022, 01:26 PM
Really, REALLY bad episode and I hate how Ochaco let Toga run. Why did she do that? She knows Toga is a mass murderer, Fuck, she just told her that she dropped people from the sky just for funsies. Letting her run means she gets to murder MORE people. Wtf, Ochaco?!They didn't actually LET her run. They opened their eyes and she was gone.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-11-2022, 07:03 AM
I never quite got the "This is why X professional is bad due to the stuff they do in their private life".

If you make good movies, your off-screen life is not my problem. If what you did is illegal, that's the State's problem. To associate lifestyle choice with professional performance is illogical.

Same with this hero stuff.

David75
Sun, 12-11-2022, 08:17 AM
Heroes are part of the state force it seems. And state workers have to have better life ethics (at least in most countries)
Regardless of that fact, just tarnishing someones image is a hard blow, even more in the hero business it seems

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Heroes are part of the state force it seems. And state workers have to have better life ethics (at least in most countries)

Yeah, it happens in real life. I think it's bullshit.

MFauli
Sun, 12-11-2022, 09:05 AM
We live in a world where Roman Polanski, who everyone knows raped a 13 year old girl in the ass, is still celebrated for his movies, even gets to make new movies. I just can't take any of this "Endeaver was not nice to his son, so now you are ruined, says me, a mass murderer!"

David75
Sun, 12-11-2022, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty sure you were mad Endeavor had no consequences to his horrible past.
You should be happy Dabi is there to change that.

Also, it's not important who conveys informations when it is available to everyone.

neflight86
Tue, 12-13-2022, 08:12 AM
I'm glad you're invested enough to be angry about the villains and what's going on.

The major damage done this arc, surprisingly, is to society's confidence in heroes to protect them. I think at least a few of the villains had that as an objective. It is a predominantly Japanese thing, but 'society' is fairly hive-minded and can adopt a stance in solidarity, as far as BnHA is concerned; mostly to simplify the storytelling; giving 'all of the angles' equal screen time would run long (and boring). If enough people begin lose hope, the idea is that hero society will break down and more or less fall into AfO's ideal form where his ability to manipulate quirks is the most powerful.

Sigaraki fighting against his (AfO) control is a interesting idea. He just wants to destroy everything because he never got over his emo phase and wants to lash out with reckless abandon.

Toga's friction with society is that of a serial killer; she wants to feel pleasure and fulfillment in ways that require harming others. There is no place for her in this world so long as she won't give up those desires, and she is frustrated at her limited options.

Dabi, while wronged, has the least compelling grudge of all: Endeavour. As far as I can tell, he is angry that he didn't get to be a hero because his firepower would destroy himself, so he goes on a long term fake suicide plan to punish his father for... having a superior offspring? Why the hostility? You don't appear to have any other life goals or aspirations other than revenge? Petty and illogical.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-17-2022, 05:06 AM
Episode 125

--------------

Lemillion is back, but more importantly, Eri has mastered Revert, so all the limbs that have been cut off, all the people who are half dead will be just fine - as long as they're not completely dead.

They did manage to keep Jeanist under the wraps for some time, and his fibre ability is pretty cool. Just needs to have strong fibres around, so he's not actually that mobile because you can't cart tons of cable around like that - unless you have a Gravity sidekick.

I don't get why Dabi has white hair. If the hair colour mix is supposed to represent the relative balance of quirks within their bodies, then his should be red, not white.

David75
Sat, 12-17-2022, 09:31 AM
His white is for flame temperature. His flames are blue, higher temp than Endeavor. But it's true it contradicts the white that should be the ice/cold quirk that helps cooling/protecting the body from high temps caused by the fire quirk.
His white hair probably also shows his body recovery is near the end, like an old body and he might not last long.

MFauli
Sun, 12-18-2022, 12:20 AM
"Nobody tries to depict the villains as nice"

The end of this episode CLEARLY gave the villains ANOTHER "we're people, too, and we have feelings and dreams" scene, trying to paint them as characters that the audience is supposed to empathize with. And if that wasn't clear enough, when Bakugo announces his new name, even villains were included in the reaction-scene, which only would include "good" characters. Clearly, the author considers Shigaraki's villain group is "good" guys, probably going for some bullshit "they just happened to be mislead by their life experiences"-trope crap.

Really annoying me to no end and at this point I'm fully expecting this to lead to an entire arc for the villains or some bs.

David75
Sun, 12-18-2022, 01:03 AM
Vilains have opinions too, feelings, thoughts, intellect. Their objectives are against society for whatever reason, they are criminals, but most of the time they are living sentient beings.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-18-2022, 12:06 PM
And if that wasn't clear enough, when Bakugo announces his new name, even villains were included in the reaction-scene, which only would include "good" characters....what?

Why aren't evil characters allowed to react to things that happen around them?

MFauli
Sun, 12-18-2022, 12:49 PM
Vilains have opinions too, feelings, thoughts, intellect. Their objectives are against society for whatever reason, they are criminals, but most of the time they are living sentient beings.

But as the audience, I don't care about the feelings of mass murderers. This anime repeatedly tries to me feel sympathetic towards them and no amount of "you're wrong" will change my mind about this. That's the only way I can see all these villain scenes.

...what?

Why aren't evil characters allowed to react to things that happen around them?

They're allowed to react to SERIOUS happenings. They're not allowed to be part of a humorous skit.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-18-2022, 12:58 PM
They're allowed to react to SERIOUS happenings. They're not allowed to be part of a humorous skit.Lol, okay. Shonen villains aren't allowed to be humorous now. I'm sure Jump will get right on that.

MFauli
Sat, 12-24-2022, 08:42 AM
Episode 126:

Everyone on Gotwoot except me: "The anime is not depicting the villains as sympathetic."

The anime this week: *spends half the episode on tragic flashback, has villains struggle with dramatic music, then break free from Jeanist's binding alongside heroic music, reaching their goal*

:|

Yes, I want an apology :/

DarthEnderX
Sat, 12-24-2022, 09:07 PM
Yeah, this was fucking dumb.

"I'm trying to change society because people in the stick made fun of my lizard face."
*joins organization that murders hundreds/thousands*

And Midoriya's "I know you killed tons of people, but you still look like you want to be saved."...jfc.

Yes, I want an apologyNot gonna. Cause if this was AoT, and that was Floch you'd be cheering him on.

MFauli
Sat, 12-24-2022, 10:30 PM
And Midoriya's "I know you killed tons of people, but you still look like you want to be saved."...jfc.

Had to lol irl at that line :D Like, do Japanese mangaka know that their country is one of the few civilized countries that has the death penalty still going on?! When Vegeta joined the good guys in DB, you could at least excuse it with "necessity", because new, more powerful villains kept showing up. Here? Shigaraki is a psychotic mass murderer. Screw him. So Hitler got bullied for his paintings? Don't care.

Not gonna. Cause if this was AoT, and that was Floch you'd be cheering him on.

That's bait, but I love that you still insist on Team Mikasa/Armin being the good guys <3

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-25-2022, 03:19 PM
That's bait, but I love that you still insist on Team Mikasa/Armin being the good guys <3*Shigaraki hates the world, kills hundreds*
Mfauli: "What a villain!"
*Eren hates the world, is gonna kill millions*
Mfauli: "What a hero!"

MFauli
Sun, 12-25-2022, 11:35 PM
*Shigaraki hates the world, kills hundreds*
Mfauli: "What a villain!"
*Eren hates the world, is gonna kill millions*
Mfauli: "What a hero!"

DarthEnderX: "Reasons and motivations? GTFO, lol!"

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-26-2022, 02:41 AM
Edit: Moved it to AoT thread.

neflight86
Mon, 12-26-2022, 03:21 PM
One of Horikoshi's weaknesses in his writing style is assuming a connection with characters that isn't necessarily there. The villains haven't gotten enough screen time or growth to be very engaging, and a single flashback isn't enough to fill in that gap. They can be fun on screen, and they can have their own hero moments (to their friends), but lets not get carried away...

Case in point, Shigaraki's sudden victim status feels contrived, true or not, and makes Midoria seem more naïve than he should be at this point in the story. I hope it was just an 'inner thought' moment and he never acts on that, as he lacks the leeway in power to do so.

Spinner I like as the only member of the league of villains who had a concrete goal acting in some form of good to his own interpretation.

The villain I'm truly tired of during this fight is Dabi, easily. His shrill laughter and nothingburger motivation really fell flat for me. I'm ready for him to take his exit as his scenes are no longer interesting or even entertaining.

Everyone on Gotwoot except me: "The anime is not depicting the villains as sympathetic."

I stand by that. Struggle and motivation doesn't mean we're expected to side with them. They can have 'reasons' (good and bad and worse) to be villains and most people can separate that with them being antagonists. Conflict is more interesting when there is some plausible impetus to both sides. You can argue how effective they are, but as a storytelling tool, they are a far cry from sympathy; only empathy might be evoked.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-27-2022, 11:46 AM
Compress must eventually decomress automatically. Otherwise trapping his friends in balls when Mr Compress would die or be locked up etc makes no sense. Being blown away by radiowaves also makes no sense.

I did like shitting down Lemillion by giving him something he couldn't predict though.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-27-2022, 02:30 PM
It's very weird how so much of the League of Villains is supposedly motivated by Stain, but none of them seems to understand him at all.

He has no interest in killing innocent people. And no interest in killing Heroes that he thinks are actually motivated purely to help people. His issue is with the system itself which basically trues to turn cops into rock stars. And his targets are the heroes he believes profit from that system.

Stain is, like, the ACTUAL cool version of this archetype, who actually has a sympathetic motivation.

The whole "The system failed me, so I'm going to make sure it fails as many other people as possible, and that's going to make things better...somehow?" motivation of the League is just...asinine.

I did like shitting down LemillionTWSS.

MFauli
Sat, 01-07-2023, 12:54 PM
Episode 127:

So, why isn't Ochaco using her ability to instantly make all the rubble hover? She'd save thousands of lives, lol.

The random deaths just don't hit me after so many seasons where nobody died.

Is this the final season or does the manga keep going?

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-07-2023, 01:04 PM
So, why isn't Ochaco using her ability to instantly make all the rubble hover? She'd save thousands of lives, lol.Cause she has a weight limit? She can't just float a whole city.

The random deaths just don't hit me after so many seasons where nobody died.That's the opposite of how most people react.

neflight86
Mon, 01-09-2023, 11:56 PM
Sad to lose Midnight like that... to some rubble from Mr. Compress...

I do enjoy the scenes for the rescue ops frantically trying to piece together and salvage as many lives as possible. Not because of the destruction itself, but because Horikoshi's writing style handles these sections much more thoughtfully than his fight choreography, making these scenes hit just as hard emotionally as the screaming special attacks and set pieces do. I've always appreciated that worldbuilding and attention to detail.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-10-2023, 08:43 AM
Sad to lose Midnight like that... to some rubble from Mr. Compress...

I do enjoy the scenes for the rescue ops frantically trying to piece together and salvage as many lives as possible. Not because of the destruction itself, but because Horikoshi's writing style handles these sections much more thoughtfully than his fight choreography, making these scenes hit just as hard emotionally as the screaming special attacks and set pieces do. I've always appreciated that worldbuilding and attention to detail.

I was surprised at the Hero burnout scene. Most of the series highlights hero incompetence, society's distrust/reliance on them and heros' aim to be the top. Didn't expect them to cover the "This is too hard and a shit job" aspect.

neflight86
Tue, 01-10-2023, 09:01 AM
I work with police, and (them) being constantly brushed up against the seedier elements of society definitely changes people, or they quit before that can happen. Staring into the abyss, and so on.

That being said, hero work has been deemed necessary, and half the villains in this show are against how it is structured and imposed, so more observing the framework of supernatural triage beginning to creak under the emotional weight is more nuanced than we typically get in shounen.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 01-10-2023, 04:02 PM
Didn't expect them to cover the "This is too hard and a shit job" aspect.It's not a shit job though. It has in fact, been a super easy and cushy job for a long time now.
Up till now, they've been fighting bank robbers and purse snatchers in a world that had a Superman in it. It's just now, all of a sudden, all of them are expected to actually DO their job, and they aren't up for it.

neflight86
Tue, 01-10-2023, 06:50 PM
You really think so? There has been a lot of evidence that this is a tough gig. Villains with similar powers, for one. Remember the water kid's parents both got put down by the muscle dude in S3. Violence and crime are still rampant. Heroes are essentially the supernatural division of the police, as contractors. Disaster recovery is never easy, even if you're trained for it. The mental fortitude is waning. Sure, some 'phony' heroes are just looking for an easy paycheck like Stain said, but all of the selective weeding out and testing (provisional license exams, school entrance exams, etc) since the beginning of the show are there to suggest not just anyone can do this job.

Interesting take that the first responder heroes are the weak ones here.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 01-10-2023, 07:46 PM
I feel like all of that is fairly recent though. The show had given the impression that supervillains weren't as big a deal during All-Might's tenure. I'm sure dangerous supervillains were still around, but All Might just took care of them.

Just compare what a supervillain club at the start of the series is like(a tiny quiet bar), to what it's like now(a huge militia compound).

I think a lot of heroes have been coasting for decades under All Might, being treated like rock stars, and now that shit's gotten real, they can't deal.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-10-2023, 07:57 PM
Which is understandable. I find it hard to not think of Superman swooping in and fixing shit whenever I see DC heroes struggling with some basic bitch baddie.

MFauli
Sat, 01-14-2023, 09:09 PM
Episode 128:

Can anyone explain why they're not using the quirk-removing drug on those super villains to remove their quirks? "That'd be unethical" is an invalid answer, considering their arrestment is already unethical as claimed by the guards themselves.

The whole thing is just so dumb. Why guard a prison with weak staff that can't do shit?

And the public being outraged at Endeavor is so construed. Millions of citizens are being killed by the villains, but they wanna shit on their best hero? Darwin award right there.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-15-2023, 12:42 AM
So...the whole previous arc was a waste of time.

At least Stain is free. Hope he does more cool shit.

neflight86
Fri, 02-03-2023, 06:12 PM
129-130

Well, this was the best (and hopefully last) retreading of the "Endeavor did bad and should feel bad, mmk?" plot line. Family solidarity is great to see, and how they tied it into Hawk's perspective of being a ghetto baby merged these two episodes together as good as they could be.

Cool that everyone else is now catching onto the mention of "One for All" as an obvious counter to "All for One".

Looks like next episode will be another 'talking heads in the ether' special.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-03-2023, 08:36 PM
Looks like next episode will be another 'talking heads in the ether' special.Always good, cause it can lead to new powers.

How many we got now?

1. OFA
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. Spidersense
6. Black Whip
7. Flight
8. None

So 3 potential powers left.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-12-2023, 12:29 AM

---

Update:
1. OFA
2. ???
3. ???
4. Danger Sense
5. Blackwhip
6. Smokescreen
7. Float
8. None

MFauli
Sun, 02-12-2023, 12:17 PM
His smoke-ghost told him that the smoke ability costs too much energy ... and Midoriya kept using it for the ENTIRE episode on every move he made. Kinda annoyed me ;>