PDA

View Full Version : Asu no Yoichi!

Munsu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 09:50 PM
First episode by CoalGuys:
http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2001%20%5BD9430D25%5D.mkv.torrent

Having been raised and trained for the past seventeen years as a traditional samurai 'bushi', Yoichi was surprised when his father suddenly announces that there nothing more that he could teach his son, but he arranges for Yoichi to continue training at a dojo owned by one of his fathers friends. So now, Yoichi must leave the tranquility of his remote rural mountain life and move to city to live with his fathers friend's family to continue his studies. And if learning how to cope with city life were not hard enough, he finds himself living with 4 beautiful sisters, and having to endure a ‘training’ regiment more severe than he could ever imagine.....
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/yoichi/
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6110
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10187

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I know I've read approximately 4 volumes of the manga the series is based on, but I can't seem to remember anything outside of that synopsis. I knew I really enjoyed it, and was quite fond of the second oldest sister's character. Whichever one that was...

Since the scans kind of died, I suppose I'll give this a shot. Rina Satou, Haruka Tomatsu, Yukari Tamura and Kana Hanazawa as the four sisters? The cast looks awesome.

Munsu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 11:08 PM
I enjoyed the first episode. I'll keep watching for the time being.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 01-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Seems like a fun show. It will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere. I'd like it if the fighting were a little more realistic, but oh well. There was certainly plenty of -de gozaru.

Was that blond guy voiced by the same guy as Zoro/Mugen? Him getting owned didn't really match voice actor's previous characters.

Kraco
Sat, 01-10-2009, 04:44 AM
Looks like a fine series. Not overly unique so far but it had solid elements, and like Ryll said, the four sisters have good voice actors (Nagi and Zange's VAs sharing another show, though Kana Hanazawa is using her Kusano voice for obvious reasons). However, considering how different those sisters look from each other, are they really full sisters? Oh, one novel thing were the uncharacteristically effective police. Normally in anime no matter how big explosions or battles you have, the police is nowhere to be seen or at least they never find the villains, but in this one they were all the time there, harassing Yoichi.

I'll keep watching this one. Too bad it's cropped to fullscreen. Maybe it will get another subber using raws from a proper WS TV-station (if available at all).

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 06:21 AM
This would be the third season in a row where a Haruka Tomatsu character is a big sister to a Kana Hanazawa character (Kyouran Kazoku Nikki and Kannagi). Rina Satou is going to get typecast as the big sister if she keeps doing series like this though (not that I'm complaining though, she does fit perfectly).

So, my favorite character was Ayame (Haruka Tomatsu) and I'm sure I'll remember why soon enough. My bet is that she's the tsundere.

The animation is good and reminds me a lot of Bamboo Blade. Same thing premise-wise, but with a bit of School Rumble mixed in. It's pretty obvious Yoichi is going to get into one horrible misunderstanding after another.

I'll definitely keep this one. I wonder how it slipped under my radar, but it probably has to do with the title change. The manga was Ashita no Yoichi.

Nadouku
Sat, 01-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow, I like the main character. He's lively and has the proper attitude. His poor sense of direction and cool samurai setup is more of an addition. I will pick this series up! :D

animus
Sat, 01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
This would be the third season in a row where a Haruka Tomatsu character is a big sister to a Kana Hanazawa character (Kyouran Kazoku Nikki and Kannagi). Rina Satou is going to get typecast as the big sister if she keeps doing series like this though (not that I'm complaining though, she does fit perfectly).

So, my favorite character was Ayame (Haruka Tomatsu) and I'm sure I'll remember why soon enough. My bet is that she's the tsundere.

The animation is good and reminds me a lot of Bamboo Blade. Same thing premise-wise, but with a bit of School Rumble mixed in. It's pretty obvious Yoichi is going to get into one horrible misunderstanding after another.

I'll definitely keep this one. I wonder how it slipped under my radar, but it probably has to do with the title change. The manga was Ashita no Yoichi.

No wonder, I could've sworn I read like 2 volumes of the scanlated manga, and thought the premise was the same as it but the name was different. But I guess now that I look at the associated names on mangaupdates Asu no Yoichi is down there also.

I liked what I read. It's nothing special, but it's pretty grounded and could be fun.

Pandadice
Sat, 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
hey, just watched the chihiro sub.

overall I enjoyed it. though the sexual comedy seemed really awkward and forced. it was all predictable stuff too. when he ran into the changing room, and fall on the girl in the book shop.

awww, Kagome was so cute D:. but the main thing I take away from this episode is that blonds are delinquents.

That green haired character was just annoying to me. because I know she's just there as the moe character type for people to rave over. what with the knee socks, and the glasses, and the quietness/unenthusiastic personality. and then her hair too. she was my least favorite character.

i liked it, and I plan to continue watching.

Kraco
Sat, 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
overall I enjoyed it. though the sexual comedy seemed really awkward and forced. it was all predictable stuff too. when he ran into the changing room...

At least it was spiced up by her silencing the tsundere and even grabbing the boob. Though I have no no idea why the breast grasp happened in the first place. It hardly looked like an accident. Unless it was the first phase of some martial arts move intended to throw the chick away, only he didn't realise he wasn't fighting a man (or a bear).

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM
That green haired character was just annoying to me. because I know she's just there as the moe character type for people to rave over. what with the knee socks, and the glasses, and the quietness/unenthusiastic personality. and then her hair too. she was my least favorite character.
I don't think that Chihaya (the green haired sister) qualifies as a moe character. All the main characters from the KEY series (AIR, Kanon, Clannad) are moe characters, Tsukasa and Miyuki from Lucky Star are moe characters. She's supposed to be kinda cute, but there wasn't that, "I want to protect them" vibe that usually defines moe characters. Even characters like Shana or Louise fall into the category because of their physical appearance but more importantly the environments they are in. There's nothing threatening the girls here requiring his protection. If anything, Yoichi is the problem.

Moe was a term already overused years ago. Don't confuse it with simple ecchi. Chihaya looks more like a simple Overdeveloped Loli. It's too soon to decide what her personality is though.

(Yes, I realize "overdeveloped" and "loli" are usually contradictory.)

Kraco
Sat, 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't think he was using "moe" as in a stand-alone definition (referring mainly to those Lucky Star style chars) but rather referring to her moe archetype, which would be meganekko (with a literature related hobby). Just like we have a tsundere and that Yamato Nadeshiko eldest sister. We have a real loli as well (although I personally would prefer to only call loli characters who just look very young but aren't really kids anymore, but whatever, can't fight the system).

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Moe is a stupid undefinable otaku term. Every year some morons at 2ch add some other new archetype to the umbrella.

Personally I wish it would stop being used altogether. If something new isn't being added to it, it just seems to end up as a term self-righteous, self-proclaimed otaku in the English speaking world use as a rallying term to describe certain anime genres that don't appeal to them. Don't like ecchi? It must be moe. Don't like sappy romance series? Must be moe.

Pandadice
Sat, 01-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Moe is a stupid undefinable otaku term. Every year some morons at 2ch add some other new archetype to the umbrella.

Personally I wish it would stop being used altogether. If something new isn't being added to it, it just seems to end up as a term self-righteous, self-proclaimed otaku in the English speaking world use as a rallying term to describe certain anime genres that don't appeal to them. Don't like ecchi? It must be moe. Don't like sappy romance series? Must be moe.

thats not it at all. I don't just use "moe" to write-off anything i don't like. I'm using it as in like, personal attraction to things which the character has/does that makes them look cute in your eyes.

Moe is a very broad perspective term.
Most of the time, it's usually used around Loli or School Girl Characters, but depending on a person's fetish, almost anything can be considered Moe.

like glasses girls, and maid uniforms. those are some things often considered moe

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
thats not it at all. I don't just use "moe" to write-off anything i don't like.
I was not referring to you here at all and I apologize if you took it that way.

That was referring to a lot of the forum users at ANN in particular, since nearly half of them complain about each new season being filled with moe garbage shows, many of which do not qualify as that. When I use "self righteous" and "anime fans" in the same sentence, I'm usually referring to a few individuals at that site.
I'm using it as in like, personal attraction to things which the character has/does that makes them look cute in your eyes.Which is fine, and I agree is an adequate usage.
Moe is a very broad perspective term.This is a problem I have with the concept as it became more popular over the past few years. It's gotten very broad, when it really shouldn't be. The term is applied everywhere, often for no reason. It's written with the kanji "萌" to bud, sprout, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for why that is. Maybe it has something to do with how many of these characters tend to be lolis or barely post-pubescent ages. It is an arbitrary term to describe a set of personality types that encourage in the viewer a feeling of cuteness toward the character and desire to protect that.
Most of the time, it's usually used around Loli or School Girl Characters, but depending on a person's fetish, almost anything can be considered Moe.
like glasses girls, and maid uniforms. those are some things often considered moeThese are fetishes about physical appearances. Moe is a behavioral/personality trait. You can have tsundere, pettanko (obsessed with her inadequate breast size), or violent or Yamato Nadeshiko glasses girls/maids or whatever else you like. Physical appearances are not moe. If they happen to be particularly clumsy megane/maid (or both!), then you are probably safe calling it moe.

So...driving this back onto topic, I disagree that Chihaya is a moe character. She's certainly an excellent megane character, but her cold reaction to basically having Yoichi right in her crotch is not something I would consider falling under moe under any circumstances. If she was, perhaps she would have made a slight gasp (without a scream) and then flipped her skirt over and blushed severely.

However, if that cold, generally uncaring reaction is what you would consider cute and build a need for you to want to protect her, then by all means, she is moe to you.

Pandadice
Sat, 01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
okay okay.. not moe, just there to appeal to all of the glasses-chick/book-worm/knee sock fetishists? >.<

anyways, my favorite part (which I forgot to mention in my first post) would be when he runs into kagome and she says shes lost, and he asks her to describe her sister, and she says one thing that's noticeable about her is her boobs, and so he holds her up to define what they look like in contrast to the girls down below.

it was just like "what the heck?!" xD

narutosharingan
Sun, 01-11-2009, 12:56 AM
I thought that was pretty funny as well. Interesting way to find someone....

masamuneehs
Mon, 01-12-2009, 07:43 AM
i enjoyed it. half-way competent police officers and Yoichi's reactions to things were just great. i really like culture disconnect as a subject matter, and even though it's often silly in this show, it's fun and interesting. animation is crisp and fluid, character designs are pretty eye-catching (if not what we've come to expect), music is okay.

i also like how Yoichi speaks like he's in a kabuki play.

i'll be looking forward to the next episode.

animus
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM
i enjoyed it. half-way competent police officers and Yoichi's reactions to things were just great. i really like culture disconnect as a subject matter, and even though it's often silly in this show, it's fun and interesting. animation is crisp and fluid, character designs are pretty eye-catching (if not what we've come to expect), music is okay.

i also like how Yoichi speaks like he's in a kabuki play.

i'll be looking forward to the next episode.

Yeah, there haven't been really good portrayals of social disconnect in awhile. Off the top of my head the last one was Full Metal Panic.

David75
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
That ep was fine, I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Zero no Tsukaima, because somehow the guy reminded me of that...

I wish they had widescreen raws too, like Clannad, this is a bit frustrating.

Ecchiness from the very first scene, cunnilingus hints, peeping... humm. I shall wait a bit.

DDBen
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty sure this voice cast last did Sekirei so I'm assuming this will turn out something along those lines. Given they likely did another 13 episode series between these two but I'm not positive which off the top of my head.

Overall entertaining first episode and I definitely plan to watch a few more episodes of this. I always like one of these light hearted fun shows at least.

Munsu
Tue, 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
For those interested, it seems like the anime motivated the scanlating group to start releasing the manga again.

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
But they still skipped over volume 4. Another group did two chapters from it, leaving it unfinished.

Munsu
Tue, 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Ah that sucks... seems like 3 chapters.

Marik
Sat, 01-17-2009, 02:45 AM
[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi - 02 [F5F27EAB].mkv (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2002%20%5BF5F27EAB%5D.mkv.torrent)

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM
So Ayame has a huge inferiority complex about Ibuki, and the love triangle has already formed this early. A good tsundere as my favorite, but she's already the underdog?! Man...I suck at picking them.

They are really going after the fetishists in this series. Aside from the four sisters and their respective personalities, we get a loli and a chinese dress girl next episode?

Nadouku
Sat, 01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I liked this episode, mainly because the main character unintentionally either incurs the wrath of others or helps them resolve within their self.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
She's clearly loved him the moment he groped her "Tiny" breasts :P

It's fun series like this, full of jokes, that make me wish a show can go on forever. :)

I Love the daily beatings he gets for the smallest bit of the unintentional pervertiness. :P

narutosharingan
Sun, 01-18-2009, 01:21 AM
I guess to Ayame he'll always be a pervert with any nice thing he says. Fun episode

masamuneehs
Tue, 01-20-2009, 09:07 AM
i enjoyed the second episode, but i'm definitely not a big fan of the harem set-up so far. the four sisters are all such genre stereotypes that it's not even funny. As Ryl spot on commented, this show seems to focus on catering to fetishists, so it'll continue to serve up niche stereotype characters. and i can't say i like that.

it's so terribly clear how the progression will go. each episode at least one girl will develop feelings for Yoichi, but then also have the guilt/doubt of competing with her sisters (except for the "I Want to Fuc - I mean Attack you" girls). then there will be the introduction of a villain (Wa-san has Kuwabara written all over him), maybe a plot twist or the introduction of A Quest, a possible early confrontation between at least two of the sisters (most likely a Feeling Revealing chapter), a Repeat of Hero manages to gain more favor with all the girls cycle, then the Crisis, the Showdown, and the Resolution.

Don't get me wrong, I still am enjoying it. But I like this show a lot better when it's not trying to be dramatic. Everything's just so recycled (even the Country Mouse/Caveman in the Big City/Future motif) that I can't really care for it outside of a "oh, this is sorta fun to watch" vibe. Key word: fun.

The further away this show stays from the drama, the more I'll like it.

I also really enjoy this show because it has so much ridiculous mish-mash of absurdly formal Japanese and slang. Of course, the Coalguys aren't really trying to get it across in the translations, but it's an added bonus (they do a decent over-all job, but I will say they're certainly in the 'mediocre but more than tolerable' tier of fansubbers for me).

Yukimura
Tue, 01-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm liking this show so far, I think it will deliver exactly what I'm expecting easy laughs at the expense of well established character and plot archetypes. I see shows like this as the fast food of anime. They may not be 'good' for you and anyone with an art degree up their ass would probably write them off as junk but they give the masses what they clearly enjoy and they aren't likely to go anywhere as long as people still watch anime.

Marik
Sat, 01-24-2009, 06:35 AM
[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi - 03 [82598AC7].mkv (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2003%20%5B82598AC7%5D.mkv.torrent)

Nadouku
Sat, 01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Wow, I can say that this main character can really look out for himself when surrounded by girls. With his carefree attitude and oblivious nature, he's easily one of my favorite main characters now. This episode was weird and funny, mainly because of the way they had to dress to fight or the way things paced itself within the episode.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Yoichi is like a Kenshin who is not only pretending to be, but actually dumb. But since I liked the comedy in Rurouni Kenshin, I am enjoying this quite a bit.

David75
Sat, 01-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow, I can say that this main character can really look out for himself when surrounded by girls. With his carefree attitude and oblivious nature, he's easily one of my favorite main characters now. This episode was weird and funny, mainly because of the way they had to dress to fight or the way things paced itself within the episode.

Reminded me Uma Kamen from Sumomomo momomo, same indredibly dumb reasoning.

I just whish we had 16:9 video.

masamuneehs
Sun, 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM
didn't really enjoy the third episode. there are parts that were sorta funny (the initial costume revealing, Tsubasa freaking out) but i don't know how long they can use those gags before they sorta lose their trick. even by the end of the episode i was a little ticked with Tsubasa's constant freaking out...

the comedy is good, but the whole "good guy wins the day by teaching everyone a heart-warming lesson" and the story line isn't my kind of thing. the show works in the fanservice pretty well, but, i don't know, i guess not everyone can enjoy a show like this. in a way it all feels more like a h-game's cutscenes than anything else.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-25-2009, 09:51 AM
This episode feels kind of rushed. I wonder if they aren't flying through the character introduction and other developments (like a Chihaya episode next week) in order to what I hope will be the meat of the story, a fight between Ibuki and Ayame over Yoichi.

There have been spots where Ibuki has shown considerable jealously over Yoichi, disguised as keeping him from doing anything perverted. She also doesn't look so happy whenever Yoichi and Ayame get closer than she is to Yoichi. Ayame's inferiority complex over constantly being second best to her sister is already confirmed.

Kraco
Sun, 01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
What exactly is Ibuki's slot? At first I thought she's a Yamato Nadeshiko character, but it's starting to look like she's type dere tsundere instead. I mean, you could almost say already that she's beating Yoichi most of the time, yet she's generally a really responsible, friendly, and sweet person otherwise. Ayame is of course the typical tsun type. Not that I'd have anything at all against having both types in the family.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I think of Ibuki as the "stern big sister" type with Yamato Nadeshiko for her appearance. She's not really tsundere, since she's reprimanding/punishing Yoichi rather than pretending to be standoffish. It's hard to deny she's modeled as a Yamato Nadeshiko. Long, straight hair (with a bow on the back), wears traditional clothing more often than not, and cooks and cleans and whatnot.

Sometimes I'm beginning to think that "tsundere" is as overused a term as "moe." I find it hard to consider a tsundere character truly tsundere unless the tsun to dere ratio is at least 60-40.

Ayame isn't just a tsundere. She's the best kind of tsundere. She's at least an 80-20 tsun to dere ratio, probably higher. That's incredibly rare, and we haven't had one in anime for a long time. I've always preferred the high ratio because the dere moments stand out a great deal more. The tsuntsun phase should be purely defense mechanism, not some anger/jealously ridden action like Louise from Zero no Tsukaima. Most of Ayame's dere phases so far have been internal, so the protagonist thinks she really hates him. That makes most of her personality filled with emotional turmoil, and whenever Ayame goes deredere, I melt.

Marik
Tue, 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
[Nipponsei] Asu no Yoichi OP Single - Egao no Riyuu [meg rock].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20OP%20Single% 20-%20Egao%20no%20Riyuu%20%5Bmeg%20rock%5D.zip.torren t)

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-31-2009, 12:08 PM
What fetish sall we indulge today?

[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi - 04 [h264] (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2004%20%5B6FEDE4B7%5D.mkv.torrent)

EDIT:

Meganeko, overdeveloped body, striped stockings and goth-punk style it seems, as this was a Chihaya focused eps.

This episode was a little bland. There's not a whole lot they can really do to develop Chihaya's character outside of what they did here. She's underage, so anything romance related is way out of the question. The rest of the screen time she has had so far is just spent provoking Ayame to go after Yoichi. She loves manga and working, and she's deeply hurt when people insult her work. Outside of those standard storylines, I can't see much more going for her.

I can't say my preference for Ayame over Ibuki is going to change any time soon. Ibuki just beats the shit out him for everything, even blaming Yoichi for breaking Kagome's artwork that was entirely due to the fact that Ibuki was raging after Yoichi for something dumb again.

Kraco
Sat, 01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah. It was a bland episode, and the Yoichi situations were right out of a textbook as much as they were totally out of context as well, that is, they were mainly nothing but addons, except for the fight demonstration accident, which was a fine detail. But walking into a girls' changeroom instead of a classroom..? What was that? That was so illogical it made the ages old joke even poorer. The author of this story isn't the most innovative story teller out there...

Ibuki's personality is starting to bother me more and more. Violence suits tsunderes, but I don't know what the heck she is. Maybe insane.

Nadouku
Sat, 01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Although nothing much happened other than expanding on Chihaya's role in the anime, I must say that she's quite the tease. Yoichi gets misunderstood so much by Ibuki that it's just giving the weird expression of something familiar, yet hatable persona. Anyways, Yoichi really loves to look out for people, and that's what makes him so likable.

narutosharingan
Sun, 02-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah. It was a bland episode, and the Yoichi situations were right out of a textbook as much as they were totally out of context as well, that is, they were mainly nothing but addons, except for the fight demonstration accident, which was a fine detail. But walking into a girls' changeroom instead of a classroom..? What was that? That was so illogical it made the ages old joke even poorer. The author of this story isn't the most innovative story teller out there...

Ibuki's personality is starting to bother me more and more. Violence suits tsunderes, but I don't know what the heck she is. Maybe insane.

I think insane fits just fine. One second she's remarking about how Yoichi is a good swordsman, the next she's kicking the crap out of him and everyone else. It's like she can't make up her mind.

I actually like Ayame better too. It would be nice if she came out on top, but I don't know if that'd happen.

Marik
Sun, 02-01-2009, 05:21 AM
It was a decent enough episode. The best parts for me, were the scenes involving Washizu. Seeing the tough guy being so timid and worried about his appearance, was pretty funny. Chihaya, got her character development time. I'm hoping we won't have to see much of her in the future, since she's not that interesting of a character.

The violence against Yoichi continued, and it wasn't just from Ibuki this time. That seems to be theme of this show, I guess. No matter how old and tired it gets, it will continue. This episode could have used more Angela, she's my favorite. Hot ninja chick FTW!

Nadouku
Mon, 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi! - Episode 5: Download (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/[CoalGuys-Doremi]%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2005%20[1E16B070].mkv.torrent)

EDIT:

A nice lovey-dovey episode with some Ibuki fan service. Looks like someone really wants to defeat the Karasuma clan's head, but his motives for doing so is uncertain. Maybe they'll explain it in an episode or so.

I really like how villains wear either a fox mask or an demon mask to hide their appearance. It just makes them look cool, and a bit mischievous.

narutosharingan
Tue, 02-10-2009, 01:43 AM
She just can't make up her mind, can she. Love hate love hate

Marik
Sat, 02-14-2009, 09:18 AM
New Release.

[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi - 06 [E618A958].mkv (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2006%20%5BE618A958%5D.mkv.torrent)

----

I didn't care much for this episode. The hired goon didn't even make it to Yoichi, which was kind of disappointing. I was looking forward to a good fight between the two.

Kraco
Sat, 02-14-2009, 11:36 AM
"If I say she looked cute with that smile, I'll probably get beaten again."...

Poor guy is falling for the wrong girl. Although based on the dojo scene, Ayame wouldn't be much better. Though seeing how she spends less time practicing, the physical wounds would probably be lesser.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Yoichi doesn't end up covered in bumps and bleeding when Ayame performs a comical Naru Punch on him like he does any time he faces Ibuki's wrath. She seems to attack his pride more often.

I'm generally not attracted to her character type (underage yet overdeveloped), but Chihaya's punk style is starting to grow on me a lot. I can't deny I like the odd was she talks too. Ayame is still my favorite though.

Other than that, this episode seemed a lot more like setup. Get Wa-san in the dojo, mention that one of Ibuki's students might like Kagome (devoid of all character development thus far), and that the masked brother and sister have sent yet another marginally competent assassin. Shameless beach episode next time!

animus
Sat, 02-14-2009, 12:24 PM
This week's assassin defeats himself with his own stupidity, I love it.

Nadouku
Sat, 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
This episode was okay. Nothing interesting happened but it wasn't terribly boring. Wa-san's own fantasies are his motivation, which was pretty hilarious to look at. Anyway, I was wishing for that assassin to come and fight Yoichi since he looked strong, but his own sense of direction defeated him, so that was kind of a downfall for me. Still, it was amusing enough to see Wa-san and Yoichi go at it.

narutosharingan
Mon, 02-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Chihaya's a very perceptive person. She can tell how people are feeling, and that probably translates well to her manga.

Marik
Sun, 02-22-2009, 12:13 AM
[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi - 07 [EA521E28].mkv (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2007%20%5BEA521E28%5D.mkv.torrent)

----

This week's episode was a fun one with plenty of fanservice. We got to see lots of Angela this week(yay). The scene with Angela and Ayame going to save Yoichi was gold. Ayame is defeated in the boobs department once again, when she finds out that Angela is the same age as her.

Ayame just can't seem to win at all. Trying to use pads for a bigger bust = fail, trying to save the guy she likes = fail, thinking she and her youngest sister share the same pain = fail. Maybe things will go her way in the future.

I didn't care for the whole Kagome plotline. A girl at that age should'nt have boobs that big.

The surfer bad guys this week were pretty lame. Almost as lame as the guy they hired last week that never made it to Yoichi. It was nice seeing them get owned by some cool looking wind style moves that Yoichi pulled off.

Ryllharu
Sun, 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I liked this episode a lot better than its manga counterpart. It had everything the original had, and a lot more.

Excellent for any Angela fans.
- Angie eyecatch, Angie vs Ayame, Angie's real age (sixteen!), Angie landing on Yoichi's face, and Angie getting embarrassed at Yoichi's cut body.

Good for Ayame fans.
- Ayame tries to use too many pads, Ayame topless in front of Yoichi, getting outclassed by her sister who is six years younger, etc.

Good for pedos.
- Kagome's plotline, Chihaya wearing a white school swimsuit.

I still like that Tsubasa vision is definitely Glass Mask manga style, and it looks like we'll see more of it next time. Her reality distortion field is a lot funnier than Wa-san's.

But what I really liked about this episode was actually the anime original content. The two surfer assassins were an excellent addition. I laughed my ass off whenever the seagull made hawk noises and the rest of the hawk-like animation that followed it. The combat on the sea was actually pretty entertaining, especially when Yoichi defeats them and goes immediately back to drowning.

Nadouku
Sun, 02-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Heheh, funny episode, with lots of fanservices. As expected of a former assassin, Angie can really detect what's amist and provides much better information to Yoichi than the others.

The only thing I'm just surprised is that Kagome is bigger than Ayame for being... a lot younger than she is and those two assassin surfers were a nice addition, as well as Yoichi using different moves, which makes me wonder how many techniques are there to the Uhika Kamikaze Swordplay.

Kraco
Sun, 02-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Kagome's boobs being of such an abnormal size was surely a dubious detail. A decent episode otherwise, as far as Asu no Yoichi! episodes go. A real fight would be nice every now and then, instead of these symbolic fights.

Ryllharu
Sun, 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Kagome's boobs being of such an abnormal size was surely a dubious detail.
Take a look again at Ibuki or Chihaya (age 15). It's in the genes of the Ikaruga family (except 1) to have absurdly sized boobs. Even Angie, who is only half-Japanese if I am not mistaken, doesn't even come close to Ibuki. Kagome just has an early onset of puberty. It's uncommon, but it does happen.

Is it disturbing? Yes.
Is it at least plausible? Sure.

In the end it's just a convenient gag, particularly because they said she'll keep them wrapped up for a long time still.

Pandadice
Mon, 02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
and Angie getting embarrassed at Yoichi's cut body.

rofl, that was my favorite part right there. i laughed so hard at that xD

Marik
Sun, 03-01-2009, 02:19 AM
[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi - 08 [899493DC].mkv (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2008%20%5B899493DC%5D.mkv.torrent)

Nadouku
Sun, 03-01-2009, 03:38 AM
For a Wa-san episode, it sure was good. A little history about his past and a famous shounen quote: "When you have someone to protect, you become stronger." I do kind of feel sorry for Wa-san though because he is also falling for the wrong girl with her violent tendencies that dote on Yoichi, who didn't even do anything perverted this episode, but I guess he has his own "good" reasons for those feelings.

Kraco
Sun, 03-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Yoichi himself isn't actually chasing anybody even though he surely likes to see girls in compromised clothing. I wonder why. Or maybe it's just because he likely won't end up with anybody during the show, following traditional harem comedy traditions.

A pretty good episode. Too bad for Tsubasa, though.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-01-2009, 07:48 AM
The series will likely end before they get to any sort of definitive challenge between Ibuki and Ayame for his affections. Though Wa-san encourages her, Ayame is still way too much in her tsun-tsun phase to try anything. I do love how depressed she gets when she finally builds up enough courage to interact with Yoichi, only to blurt out some nasty lines about how much she hates him on accident. I'm still praying for an Ayame victory though.

More Angie embarassment too.

narutosharingan
Mon, 03-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Maybe Ayame is changing her mind after this Wa-san episode. Maybe we'll see. Poor Yoichi has to suffer through Ibuki's crazy violence.

Nadouku
Tue, 03-10-2009, 02:35 AM
[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi! - Episode 9: Download (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/[CoalGuys-Doremi]%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2009%20[77DB1DBE].mkv.torrent)

==================================================

Nice episode, but the confusion was certainly not good. I'm glad that Wa-san decided to blurt it out as a misunderstanding, but to hurt Ayame's feelings was just too much. Fortunately, he apologized afterwards.

The villains finally revealed their faces, and yet another person has been captivated by Ibuki's "charms". That poor fellow doesn't even know the true side to her... :p

Kraco
Tue, 03-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Is this series seriously driving Ayame and Wa-san together, or just fooling around? Well, despite the short moment of sympathy, Wa-san isn't really interested at all, so I guess it's a moot point. Harder to say about Ayame, with the tsundere tangle of emotions.

Popsicle seemed to be good, in any case.

Ryllharu
Tue, 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM
That's not the way I took it. Wa-san felt bad about hurting Ayame that way, hitting her weak point about being inferior to Ibuki, but he was able to pinpoint what her issues actually were in a remarkable display of insight.

Rather than sympathizing with her, he actually insulted her more by calling her a coward who gives up before she starts because she thinks she might lose. He gives her a gift then by running off with Ibuki. He satisfies his objectives, and gives Ayame a hand in her crush.

From Ayame's standpoint, I don't think it is a matter of love no matter what. This was more an issue of her inferiority complex towards Ibuki than matters of love. She was more shocked by the fact that the confession wasn't for Ibuki, and crushed when she found out it was. Then she was surprised that he apologized for it, and gave her a little advice. I doubt she'll be falling in love with him any time soon. For how embarrassed she still gets over Yoichi, she's got a long way to fall for Wa-san instead. He basically called her out for declaring a loss before the race started. I think that her push for Yoichi's affections may finally start in earnest.

As much as Ayame is still my favorite, the best part of this episode was Sexy Catgirl Angie.

enkoujin
Tue, 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Crazy theory, but putting it out there...

6:51: You seem to be getting smaller and smaller lately.

The fact that Torigaya is shrinking in height may prove to be a factor later in the story. Plus, in the OP (1:10), he is shown to be wearing a cat-ear hat during a short transition with a fox-like facial expression.

Maybe I am overanalyzing it too much, but it seems that Torigaya is a shady character (with his brilliant insight as demonstrated in this episode by explicitly explaining to Washizu that Ayame has feelings for Yoichi [which is considered to be above-average intelligence in regards to a harem-comedy anime]).

I feel that he is actually a cunning man who used Washizu's trick to get Yoichi and Ibuki together during the Summer festival in order to for them to win the planted Hot Springs Prize. Something tells me that Torigaya is actually a henchman of the Saginomiya's. After all, is there not a similarity between the fox masks the Saginomiya's and the hat that Torigaya wears? In addition, maybe his ninja arts and whatnot has repercussions of a shrinkage in height. Finally, if Washizu has no friends due to his infamous delinquency, how and why is Torigaya reaching out to Washizu as a friend in the first place?

Aside from my crazy antics, the episode was fairly enjoyable and I more or less hope that Ukyo does not end up becoming friends with the Ikaruga's and Yoichi, which would destroy the entire plot of the series so far.

Nadouku
Wed, 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM
It's hard to compare Torigaya because he usually stands at an awkward angle, but at 5:43, when he is shown with Wa-san, he's actually below Wa-san's shoulder length, which leads me to suspect that he's already a small character to begin with. Also, at 21:23, Torigaya is shown to be almost the same height as Chihaya, but that doesn't tell us much, or does it? ;)

You just might be overanalyzing, but it's hard to rub my eyes off the truth that he does transition into a fox-like face in the opening. However, not enough evidence is shown, so I do not believe that he's part of the Saginomiya plans (until further proven by latter episodes).

Finally, if Washizu has no friends due to his infamous delinquency, how and why is Torigaya reaching out to Washizu as a friend in the first place?

During a flashback in episode 8, Torigaya admired Wa-san's strength, so he was the first person that ever approached Wa-san calmly and... Wa-san had a friend. His first friend.

Nadouku
Sun, 03-15-2009, 01:41 AM
[Chihiro] Asu no Yoichi! - Episode 10 AVI: Download (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=54472)
[Chihiro] Asu no Yoichi! - Episode 10 MKV: Download (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=54460)

==================================================

The usual "hot spring" episode, but gearing more towards Ayami x Yoichi, which is far more interesting than Ibuki, who just really isn't a likable character.

Of course, the villains messed up on the personality traits, so Yoichi was better prepared, and recycling through all of the enemies was pure comedy. :D

Pandadice
Sun, 03-15-2009, 04:12 AM
aw, a Ping Pong episode, I loved it!

the ending was good too, can't wait for the next ep.

Marik
Sat, 03-21-2009, 06:38 AM
[Chihiro]​ Asu​ no​ Yoichi​ -​ 11​ [h264][67C7FC27].mkv (http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=20887)
[Chihiro]​ Asu​ no​ Yoichi​ -​ 11​ [XviD][620E8AE4].avi (http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=20894)

Nadouku
Sun, 03-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I like Ukyou's plan of deception as a way to mentally destroy Yoichi, but at least he regained his confidence to fight for Ibuki again (which is kind of a sad thing when she returns to her normal thrashing about). It's interesting to see almost all of the characters prepare for the final fight, so the next episode should be interesting, to say the least.

animus
Sun, 03-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Damn, Yoichi didn't end up with Angie. Foiled again!

Kraco
Wed, 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Episode 10 - CoalGuys-Doremi (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2010%20%5BB615121E%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 11 - CoalGuys-Doremi (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2011%20%5BD05CED22%5D.mkv.torrent)

Damn, ep 11 showed some uber lousy script writing. I almost dropped the show when Ukyou talked Yoichi into abandoning the sisters. He's supposed to be an honourable samurai yet the rich boy's shit talk convinved him without a single objection. I think the mangaka had been testing some wits lessening drugs on himself prior to writing this particular arc.

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
He's supposed to be an honourable samurai yet the rich boy's shit talk convinved him without a single objection. I think the mangaka had been testing some wits lessening drugs on himself prior to writing this particular arc.
I probably shouldn't be the one to say this considering the dumb things I have said (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=419726&postcount=866) based off being largely uninformed/misinformed/heresay/etc.

The equivalent manga chapters of these last three episodes run completely different to the anime adaptation presented here. It's actually two separate mini-arcs. The first true appearance of the siblings ends in chapters 9-11 as part of the Tropical Island vacation.

The current drug-induced storyline doesn't appear until chapter 15-16, where Sakon is involved by herself, and the Summer Festival, Chihaya Bullied at School, and Revenge on Wa-san chapters lie in between.

You should see the considerable difference in how these arcs take place before accusing the mangaka of this terrible writing.

Marik
Fri, 03-27-2009, 11:42 PM
[CoalGuys-Doremi] Asu no Yoichi - 12 [1D5BFF04].mkv (http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys-Doremi%5D%20Asu%20no%20Yoichi%20-%2012%20%5B1D5BFF04%5D.mkv.torrent)

The End.

enkoujin
Sat, 03-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Dear Heavens! [Spoilers below]:

That was just awful - with 20:48 foreshadowing a second season, an approximate one-minute and 33-second final boss battle, and a deux ex machina ending to boot for recovering Ibuki's memories. Torigaya's gender change (if applicable) was never explained, there was no explanation for the revival of the Tsubame Flowing Style martial arts, Ukyou still lusts after Ibuki and had a terrible back history as a "good guy" becoming corrupted by money, Sakon still lusts after her own brother, no pairings have been officially set, and lastly, Yoichi remains as the strongest character in the series - having little or no obstacles in the entire storyline!

Very disappointed in the series and the ending, but I suppose the comedy and fan service was what prevented this series from being a failure, so I believe it served its purpose.

Nadouku
Sat, 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I guess Torigaya turning smaller and smaller with each passing episode was true. It's just that he stands at an ackward angle in all the other episodes, so it was hard for me to analyze him. Also, he did revert back to his normal size the other few times, so that lead to the mass confusion. Toward the end, however, I found his gender-bending self quite funny when Wa-san was surprised, or perhaps lusting over him. :o

Other than that, the episode itself was quite fine until Ukyou fought against Yoichi. IT WAS TOO SHORT! They also rushed the ending, so that made it quite bland. Still, the series was enjoyable enough, although Ibuki was the only character I disliked throughout the entire series, with Yoichi being the best overall character they made him to be.

Pandadice
Sat, 03-28-2009, 10:54 PM
meh. thought the ending ep was okay. it wasn't anything amazing. the series is definitely about a 6 or something. nothing really special.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-29-2009, 06:17 AM
As city ninja/samurai series go, no matter how badly they mutilated the manga in these last three episodes, this one was still worlds better than Kage Kara Mamoru.

Ayame will still always be the best, and as I continue to read the manga, I'm still praying for her ultimate victory.

While there were plenty of episodes showing that Ayame might not really have the confidence to go for it and win, Ibuki has only shown that she might be Yoichi's choice because she's the de facto leader of the sisters, as with the date episode. She heard Yoichi was going on a date, even if it ultimately was a trap, and she insisted that he go on a "practice date" with her using the excuse that he would embarrass himself, and therefore the school.

animus
Sun, 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Wait, so what the hell was Torigaya?

narutosharingan
Mon, 03-30-2009, 12:03 AM
It feels like nothing happened in this series. There were episodes and bad guys. But nothing felt resolved or there felt like there was no real plot.

And is there going to be a 2nd season?