Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asu no Yoichi!

Asu no Yoichi!

First episode by CoalGuys:
    http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys%...5D.mkv.torrent

Having been raised and trained for the past seventeen years as a traditional samurai 'bushi', Yoichi was surprised when his father suddenly announces that there nothing more that he could teach his son, but he arranges for Yoichi to continue training at a dojo owned by one of his fathers friends. So now, Yoichi must leave the tranquility of his remote rural mountain life and move to city to live with his fathers friend's family to continue his studies. And if learning how to cope with city life were not hard enough, he finds himself living with 4 beautiful sisters, and having to endure a ‘training’ regiment more severe than he could ever imagine.....
    http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/yoichi/
    http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=6110
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10187

I know I've read approximately 4 volumes of the manga the series is based on, but I can't seem to remember anything outside of that synopsis. I knew I really enjoyed it, and was quite fond of the second oldest sister's character. Whichever one that was...

Since the scans kind of died, I suppose I'll give this a shot. Rina Satou, Haruka Tomatsu, Yukari Tamura and Kana Hanazawa as the four sisters? The cast looks awesome.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 01-10-2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: messed up a VA, I guess I should have watched it first

I enjoyed the first episode. I'll keep watching for the time being.

Seems like a fun show. It will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere. I'd like it if the fighting were a little more realistic, but oh well. There was certainly plenty of -de gozaru.

Was that blond guy voiced by the same guy as Zoro/Mugen? Him getting owned didn't really match voice actor's previous characters.

Looks like a fine series. Not overly unique so far but it had solid elements, and like Ryll said, the four sisters have good voice actors (Nagi and Zange's VAs sharing another show, though Kana Hanazawa is using her Kusano voice for obvious reasons). However, considering how different those sisters look from each other, are they really full sisters? Oh, one novel thing were the uncharacteristically effective police. Normally in anime no matter how big explosions or battles you have, the police is nowhere to be seen or at least they never find the villains, but in this one they were all the time there, harassing Yoichi.

I'll keep watching this one. Too bad it's cropped to fullscreen. Maybe it will get another subber using raws from a proper WS TV-station (if available at all).

This would be the third season in a row where a Haruka Tomatsu character is a big sister to a Kana Hanazawa character (Kyouran Kazoku Nikki and Kannagi). Rina Satou is going to get typecast as the big sister if she keeps doing series like this though (not that I'm complaining though, she does fit perfectly).

So, my favorite character was Ayame (Haruka Tomatsu) and I'm sure I'll remember why soon enough. My bet is that she's the tsundere.

The animation is good and reminds me a lot of Bamboo Blade. Same thing premise-wise, but with a bit of School Rumble mixed in. It's pretty obvious Yoichi is going to get into one horrible misunderstanding after another.

I'll definitely keep this one. I wonder how it slipped under my radar, but it probably has to do with the title change. The manga was Ashita no Yoichi.

Wow, I like the main character. He's lively and has the proper attitude. His poor sense of direction and cool samurai setup is more of an addition. I will pick this series up!
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    This would be the third season in a row where a Haruka Tomatsu character is a big sister to a Kana Hanazawa character (Kyouran Kazoku Nikki and Kannagi). Rina Satou is going to get typecast as the big sister if she keeps doing series like this though (not that I'm complaining though, she does fit perfectly).

So, my favorite character was Ayame (Haruka Tomatsu) and I'm sure I'll remember why soon enough. My bet is that she's the tsundere.

The animation is good and reminds me a lot of Bamboo Blade. Same thing premise-wise, but with a bit of School Rumble mixed in. It's pretty obvious Yoichi is going to get into one horrible misunderstanding after another.

I'll definitely keep this one. I wonder how it slipped under my radar, but it probably has to do with the title change. The manga was Ashita no Yoichi.
    No wonder, I could've sworn I read like 2 volumes of the scanlated manga, and thought the premise was the same as it but the name was different. But I guess now that I look at the associated names on mangaupdates Asu no Yoichi is down there also.

I liked what I read. It's nothing special, but it's pretty grounded and could be fun.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    hey, just watched the chihiro sub.

overall I enjoyed it. though the sexual comedy seemed really awkward and forced. it was all predictable stuff too. when he ran into the changing room, and fall on the girl in the book shop.

awww, Kagome was so cute D:. but the main thing I take away from this episode is that blonds are delinquents.

That green haired character was just annoying to me. because I know she's just there as the moe character type for people to rave over. what with the knee socks, and the glasses, and the quietness/unenthusiastic personality. and then her hair too. she was my least favorite character.

i liked it, and I plan to continue watching.

user posted image

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadice
    overall I enjoyed it. though the sexual comedy seemed really awkward and forced. it was all predictable stuff too. when he ran into the changing room...
    At least it was spiced up by her silencing the tsundere and even grabbing the boob. Though I have no no idea why the breast grasp happened in the first place. It hardly looked like an accident. Unless it was the first phase of some martial arts move intended to throw the chick away, only he didn't realise he wasn't fighting a man (or a bear).

That green haired character was just annoying to me. because I know she's just there as the moe character type for people to rave over. what with the knee socks, and the glasses, and the quietness/unenthusiastic personality. and then her hair too. she was my least favorite character.
    I don't think that Chihaya (the green haired sister) qualifies as a moe character. All the main characters from the KEY series (AIR, Kanon, Clannad) are moe characters, Tsukasa and Miyuki from Lucky Star are moe characters. She's supposed to be kinda cute, but there wasn't that, "I want to protect them" vibe that usually defines moe characters. Even characters like Shana or Louise fall into the category because of their physical appearance but more importantly the environments they are in. There's nothing threatening the girls here requiring his protection. If anything, Yoichi is the problem.

Moe was a term already overused years ago. Don't confuse it with simple ecchi. Chihaya looks more like a simple Overdeveloped Loli. It's too soon to decide what her personality is though.

(Yes, I realize "overdeveloped" and "loli" are usually contradictory.)

I don't think he was using "moe" as in a stand-alone definition (referring mainly to those Lucky Star style chars) but rather referring to her moe archetype, which would be meganekko (with a literature related hobby). Just like we have a tsundere and that Yamato Nadeshiko eldest sister. We have a real loli as well (although I personally would prefer to only call loli characters who just look very young but aren't really kids anymore, but whatever, can't fight the system).

Moe is a stupid undefinable otaku term. Every year some morons at 2ch add some other new archetype to the umbrella.

Personally I wish it would stop being used altogether. If something new isn't being added to it, it just seems to end up as a term self-righteous, self-proclaimed otaku in the English speaking world use as a rallying term to describe certain anime genres that don't appeal to them. Don't like ecchi? It must be moe. Don't like sappy romance series? Must be moe.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 01-10-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Moe is a stupid undefinable otaku term. Every year some morons at 2ch add some other new archetype to the umbrella.

Personally I wish it would stop being used altogether. If something new isn't being added to it, it just seems to end up as a term self-righteous, self-proclaimed otaku in the English speaking world use as a rallying term to describe certain anime genres that don't appeal to them. Don't like ecchi? It must be moe. Don't like sappy romance series? Must be moe.
    thats not it at all. I don't just use "moe" to write-off anything i don't like. I'm using it as in like, personal attraction to things which the character has/does that makes them look cute in your eyes.

Moe is a very broad perspective term.
    Most of the time, it's usually used around Loli or School Girl Characters, but depending on a person's fetish, almost anything can be considered Moe.

like glasses girls, and maid uniforms. those are some things often considered moe

user posted image

thats not it at all. I don't just use "moe" to write-off anything i don't like.
    I was not referring to you here at all and I apologize if you took it that way.

That was referring to a lot of the forum users at ANN in particular, since nearly half of them complain about each new season being filled with moe garbage shows, many of which do not qualify as that. When I use "self righteous" and "anime fans" in the same sentence, I'm usually referring to a few individuals at that site.
    I'm using it as in like, personal attraction to things which the character has/does that makes them look cute in your eyes.
    Which is fine, and I agree is an adequate usage.
    Moe is a very broad perspective term.
    This is a problem I have with the concept as it became more popular over the past few years. It's gotten very broad, when it really shouldn't be. The term is applied everywhere, often for no reason. It's written with the kanji "萌" to bud, sprout, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for why that is. Maybe it has something to do with how many of these characters tend to be lolis or barely post-pubescent ages. It is an arbitrary term to describe a set of personality types that encourage in the viewer a feeling of cuteness toward the character and desire to protect that.
    Most of the time, it's usually used around Loli or School Girl Characters, but depending on a person's fetish, almost anything can be considered Moe.
    like glasses girls, and maid uniforms. those are some things often considered moe
    These are fetishes about physical appearances. Moe is a behavioral/personality trait. You can have tsundere, pettanko (obsessed with her inadequate breast size), or violent or Yamato Nadeshiko glasses girls/maids or whatever else you like. Physical appearances are not moe. If they happen to be particularly clumsy megane/maid (or both!), then you are probably safe calling it moe.

So...driving this back onto topic, I disagree that Chihaya is a moe character. She's certainly an excellent megane character, but her cold reaction to basically having Yoichi right in her crotch is not something I would consider falling under moe under any circumstances. If she was, perhaps she would have made a slight gasp (without a scream) and then flipped her skirt over and blushed severely.

However, if that cold, generally uncaring reaction is what you would consider cute and build a need for you to want to protect her, then by all means, she is moe to you.

okay okay.. not moe, just there to appeal to all of the glasses-chick/book-worm/knee sock fetishists? >.<

anyways, my favorite part (which I forgot to mention in my first post) would be when he runs into kagome and she says shes lost, and he asks her to describe her sister, and she says one thing that's noticeable about her is her boobs, and so he holds her up to define what they look like in contrast to the girls down below.

it was just like "what the heck?!" xD

user posted image

I thought that was pretty funny as well. Interesting way to find someone....

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i enjoyed it. half-way competent police officers and Yoichi's reactions to things were just great. i really like culture disconnect as a subject matter, and even though it's often silly in this show, it's fun and interesting. animation is crisp and fluid, character designs are pretty eye-catching (if not what we've come to expect), music is okay.

i also like how Yoichi speaks like he's in a kabuki play.

i'll be looking forward to the next episode.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    i enjoyed it. half-way competent police officers and Yoichi's reactions to things were just great. i really like culture disconnect as a subject matter, and even though it's often silly in this show, it's fun and interesting. animation is crisp and fluid, character designs are pretty eye-catching (if not what we've come to expect), music is okay.

i also like how Yoichi speaks like he's in a kabuki play.

i'll be looking forward to the next episode.
    Yeah, there haven't been really good portrayals of social disconnect in awhile. Off the top of my head the last one was Full Metal Panic.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    That ep was fine, I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Zero no Tsukaima, because somehow the guy reminded me of that...

I wish they had widescreen raws too, like Clannad, this is a bit frustrating.

Ecchiness from the very first scene, cunnilingus hints, peeping... humm. I shall wait a bit.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.