PDA

View Full Version : Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Plot Summary: Rin Asōgi may look like an ordinary office lady on the outside but she is actually a private investigator taking on any jobs, from finding a stray cat to infiltrating a high-security corporate lab. What's more, she appears literally indestructible, supernaturally healing any injuries and mutilations. Together with her partner Mimi, Rin delves into the darkest secrets of the society but the ones she hides herself are by far more sinister... source: ANN

Well, this was something I was looking forward to this season. First episode of the six part OVA is released. Each episode is 45mins and airs on the first Sunday every month till summer.

Ureshii (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Mnemosyne_-_01_%5B86EA7CFF%5D.avi.torrent)
Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Mnemosyne_-_01_%5B476EA7E1%5D.avi.torrent)

Board of Command
Sun, 02-17-2008, 04:11 PM
I watched Doremi's release yesterday and the video quality was "piss poor" according to today's standards. It's probably a bad raw.

As for the series itself, I thought it was pretty interesting. The first episode didn't really explain a whole lot. Aside from the few semi-hentai scenes, the most interesting part was the episode 2 preview where it looks like they'll actually start up the real story.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
The quality was indeed shocking, especially for an OVA. I guess I'll replace these with DVD subs when they come out. This first episode basically introduced us to the setting and the main character. It seems she's one of the few who can see that tree(which I'm guessing is called Yggdrasil, hint from the opening credits) and the bubbles which is somehow linked to her immortality. Speaking of which, she reminds me of another immortal, green-haired anime girl.

Board of Command
Mon, 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
The episode reminded me of Bible Black.

Speaking of which, she reminds me of another immortal, green-haired anime girl.
But that other girl didn't get mutilated with piercings in sensitive places, which she promptly tore off.

Inazuma
Wed, 02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
That thing just put a "Stupid Wtf" look on my face for 20 minutes.

But hey, too bad it's not a 24 Eps season.

It'ld turned into something interesting ... maybe.

Yukimura
Wed, 03-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Mnemosyne - 02 - [Doremi] (http://a.scarywater.net/doremi/%5BDoremi%5D.Mnemosyne.02.%5B197023F0%5D.mkv.torre nt)

Board of Command
Wed, 03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Why the hell is this encoded in DivX 5 @ 1024x576? It looks like ass. Are they seriously retarded? Regardless of the raw's quality, this is plain stupid.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-06-2008, 06:44 AM
which would be better, video quality wise. Last ep, or this one. I'll probably wait for Shinsen if it's an encoding fault on Doremi's part

Board of Command
Thu, 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Last episode was lower resolution but this one still looks like garbage even at a higher encoding resolution. It's most likely upscaled. Both are brutal. It's like watching one of those VHS rips from the late 90s.

Yukimura
Thu, 03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Ouch, it was definitely shabby looking but I wouldn't go that far. There were also some translation or editing mistakes that stood out, but I wasn't paying all that much attention to anyway.

But moving past the video quality the show seems to be delievering well on the promised sex, blood, and violence themes and even managed to put togeather a better story this time around. Rin and Mimi's relationship was solidified, Rin's body was established as a hot commodity for several new parties, and they dropped plenty of details about what will probably develop into the central plot.

Other good things though were, the copious amounts of sex, blood, and violence. It's not the most violent thing I've seen, or the most bloody, or the most sexual, but all these elements fit together well with the story and didn't give the impression that they'd been shoehorned into the story just for shock value.

EDIT: Hitting the post button halfway through paragraph revision = bad

Board of Command
Thu, 03-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Judging from the preview, it looks like there will be a huge time jump in episode 3. Maeno looks about 50 years old.

animus
Thu, 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
No I think that since he's a clone he's just experiencing rapid aging. And if you listened to the conversation between Rin and Apos at the end right? She was like "he's making the most of his short time left". Also if you notice, he has a patch of white hair on the right side of his head. At first I thought it was just like a shaved spot for when he tried to shoot himself in the head or something. But further into the ep and the preview confirmed that he was rapidly aging.

Board of Command
Thu, 03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I thought the "short time left" bit was referring to the angel.

Yukimura
Sun, 04-13-2008, 03:01 AM
Mnemosyne - 03 - [doremi] (http://a.scarywater.net/doremi/%5BDoremi%5D.Mnemosyne.03.%5B218DE3BB%5D.mkv.torre nt)

I love Asogi Rin

animus
Sun, 04-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm still rather confused so I guess it's not Maeno's rapid aging, but these stories are spanning quite a number of years? He even had a child. But that information chick hasn't aged has she?

Board of Command
Mon, 04-14-2008, 01:07 AM
The information woman is probably an immortal as well, since it seems Rin has known her for quite a while.

Yukimura
Thu, 04-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Agreed. As to the time just look at the dates given at the beginning of each ep. Episode 1 took place in the 90's and this took place in 2018 iirc. The info lady has to be immortal to not change at all. And I was laughing out loud when I realized she had not just a random sex slave, but a random sex slave/helicopter pilot at her beck and call.

As for the main plot this ep got us to a pretty good halfway mark. The shady guy (girl?) with the chair of swords gets more and more interesting each time we see him(her?) and I'm quite anxious to find out its (screw it) identity. Plus we get more development and more insight into Rin and Mimi's lives. I hadn't really given much thought to the fact that that immortality would give them a good advantage with the stock markets.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Maeno was probably my favourite character in this show. For me, everything was pretty much told from his end of the story, being the human who aged normally and watched the mystery unfold. The story won't be quite the same without him. Looks like his wife knew the secret as well, or at least knew what it means if the spore's gone.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi - 04 Doremi-Fansubs (http://a.scarywater.net/doremi/%5BDoremi%5D.Mnemosyne.04.%5BE3F9DC12%5D.mkv.torre nt)

Board of Command
Sun, 05-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I wonder how Rin can regenerate from that kind of damage. She'd need to be like Alucard.

Yukimura
Mon, 05-12-2008, 01:31 AM
I was wondering that too, but I'm begining to think their 'healing' isn't actual healing its time reversal of injuries like Orihime's power. If that's the case, when she's injured the 'time spore' in her body reverts her body back to the state it was in when she was first infected. In that situation even being disintegrated shouldn't killer her as the time spore is probably diffused through out her whole body, meaning it would just pull her back together from the left overs.

But I've gotta say Rin is one tough chick to be able to keep going after all the painful things she experiances as peopel try to kill her.

Board of Command
Mon, 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM
One thing I've been wondering about since last night is that the time spore makes the person stuck in one bodily form permanently, so does that mean Mimi reverts back to a virgin every time?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-16-2008, 12:44 AM
I was wondering that too, but I'm begining to think their 'healing' isn't actual healing its time reversal of injuries like Orihime's power. If that's the case, when she's injured the 'time spore' in her body reverts her body back to the state it was in when she was first infected. In that situation even being disintegrated shouldn't killer her as the time spore is probably diffused through out her whole body, meaning it would just pull her back together from the left overs.

But I've gotta say Rin is one tough chick to be able to keep going after all the painful things she experiances as peopel try to kill her.

But that won't explain why she'll die if she gets eaten by an angel. If he had anything like a digestive system we're familiar with, the material should be either in excreted, or can be found in his corpse when he dies.

They said women turn immortal, while men turn into angels. But dogs:confused: I wonder if it actually knows it's immortal or can't die?

Yukimura
Sat, 05-17-2008, 10:38 PM
The angels have time spores of their own so who knows what the interaction might do. It's probably the female implanted time spore reacting to a male inhabited time spore that causes the hyper lust. Maybe angel time spores somehow disable female ones within close proximity and if a female dies while her time spores are disabled she won't be reverted.

Also, I think Mimi would go back to being a virgin every time...provided she was one when she first got infected of course.

Yukimura
Sun, 05-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Mnemosyne - 01 (H264 DVD) - [Ureshii] (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Mnemosyne_-_01_%5BAC3-H264-DVD%5D%5B8F67BD2B%5D.mkv.torrent)

Less dark, more details.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi OP+ED (http://gendou.com/amusic/?filter=Mnemosyne&match=0) brought to you by Gendou.

And here's the album art for those like me who like their cover flows.
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2828/alsatiabb7.th.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alsatiabb7.jpg)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-21-2008, 02:53 AM
For some reason, the raws for this show are really bad. Shinsen thinks that too, so they bring us

Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi (DVD) - 01 (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Mnemosyne_-_01_%5BDVD%5D%5BF786A3E5%5D.mkv.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
[Shinsen-Subs]_Mnemosyne_-_02_[DVD][7A5A5E83].mkv.torrent (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Mnemosyne_-_02_%5BDVD%5D%5B7A5A5E83%5D.mkv.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi - 05 Anime-Empire & Ureshii (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BA-E_Ureshii%5D_Mnemosyne_-_05_%5B3B4CAB81%5D.avi.torrent)

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow. That was a wtf episode and a half.

From the technology of 2055 all by itself, not ever really knowing what is real and what isn't. Even even who is who. Mishio was probably the best human "sidekick" Rin has had since the series began though.

But wtf for sure. Mimi a nun, that bitch altered to look like Rin, Rin taking 30 whole years to reform, Apos being a much larger asshole than usual, and Rin's true age still only hinted at.

I suspect it can't be too much further into feudal Japan, maybe end of the Heian? Since the "old god" sitting at the table seems to be the man in the straw hat from Rin's oldest memories. That's probably when she first consumed the Fruit.

As for the end of the episode, I won't spoil. In fact, I won't even comment on it for now.

Board of Command
Thu, 06-19-2008, 07:06 PM
NOOO!

SAY WHAT??

BioAlien
Thu, 06-19-2008, 09:40 PM
NOOO!

SAY WHAT??

I couldn't have said it better.

Yukimura
Fri, 06-20-2008, 08:59 PM
What the FUCK! You can't do that in the penultimate episode! I want a do over!

Board of Command
Fri, 06-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm still in a mild state of shock right now.

wtf...srsly...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-20-2008, 09:54 PM
WTF indeed. Transexuals have their advantages after all.

I have to say the orgy is probably the first sex scene in so far that can be considered unnecessary.

And I just want them to die now. They killed Genta. Assholes.

BioAlien
Fri, 06-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Were they even really having sex?
I thought the angels were just eating them away...

Edit: Oh wait.. no. Sorry, I forgot about that one... I wasn't thinking straight there and completely forgot the orgy Mimi had before that.

As for Genta.. it is really regrettable that they killed him... But at least he had a long life... a really.. long... life... *cries*

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm not really sure if there's any penetration involved. The angels like eating them, and they like getting eaten. When the angel goes deep enough and get their spore, they die. Was confused at first, with all the howling.

What's getting me thinking is what are those pale people near, what I'll call for now, Eden?

Board of Command
Fri, 06-20-2008, 10:35 PM
The pale girls that look like clay dolls? Maybe that's what women turn to if they consume excessive amounts of time spores. The first one makes you immortal, and anything beyond that makes you a horny mindless lump of meat.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-21-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the girls in the "heap" are the ones Apos has removed the Fruit from. Somehow they end up there after becoming salt (or ash or whatever). He's continuing to sustain them through the other fruits he's collected for now, my only guess is that he's using the heap to either create something or ascend to some other place. I can't remember his exact wording, but he was saying something to that end.

If the OP and ED are any indication, Rin resides at the top of that heap. She's seemed to been playing the role of queen in his little chess game too. I can only guess that Rin (being as old as she was) is the key to Apos' goal. Maybe ascending to godhood?

But it's really anyone's guess, since that part made absolutely no sense simply because they never tell us anything.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Final showdown: When one loses her time-spore....

[A-E_Ureshii]_Mnemosyne_-_06_[BE80EAEAF].avi.torrent (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BA-E_Ureshii%5D_Mnemosyne_-_06_%5BE80EAEAF%5D.avi.torrent)

Board of Command
Sun, 07-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Gonna wait for a better quality version.

Yukimura
Mon, 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Very interesting ending, I really liked this series. The link between Maeno's family and Rin wasn't explained as clearly as it could have been but the gist I got was that they were descended from the bearded guy who was Rin's love interest way back when.

I understood the plot device of "a link to people in the real world saves the main character from being absorbed into an alternate world" but the particulars of this implementation escape me. What was Apos hoping would happen when he stuck Rin inside that thing?

And of course I must throw in a bunch of observations.

I liked the way Rin's dress got progressively more destroyed as the episode went on it was fairly believable and I like random little touches of realism, even in fantastical anime like this one.

The whole "you must drink his white blood thing", even for this show that seemed a little much.

The Angel x Rin table bondage scene (a pretty interesting suspension btw) was pretty moving, though it would have been more impactful if it hadn't been a month since I last saw that guy and I remembered who he was immediately.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM
DVD final:

[A-E_Ureshii]_Mnemosyne_-_06_[AC3-H264-DVD][71AD6F40].mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BA-E_Ureshii%5D_Mnemosyne_-_06_%5BAC3-H264-DVD%5D%5B71AD6F40%5D.mkv.torrent)

Been waiting for this.

David75
Sun, 02-08-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm reviving this thread for those who may miss that nice show.
It has its wtf moments, but holds quite well in the long run.
Everything is just emphasized like violence and sex, but after all we get large timeskips so I guess that those intense moments are somewhat diluted.

That show is clearly out of my usual interrests, but I watched it and enjoyed it. It's a nice change for once, eventhough it's too "mad" for me.