Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi

Plot Summary: Rin Asōgi may look like an ordinary office lady on the outside but she is actually a private investigator taking on any jobs, from finding a stray cat to infiltrating a high-security corporate lab. What's more, she appears literally indestructible, supernaturally healing any injuries and mutilations. Together with her partner Mimi, Rin delves into the darkest secrets of the society but the ones she hides herself are by far more sinister... source: ANN

Well, this was something I was looking forward to this season. First episode of the six part OVA is released. Each episode is 45mins and airs on the first Sunday every month till summer.

Ureshii
    Shinsen

I watched Doremi's release yesterday and the video quality was "piss poor" according to today's standards. It's probably a bad raw.

As for the series itself, I thought it was pretty interesting. The first episode didn't really explain a whole lot. Aside from the few semi-hentai scenes, the most interesting part was the episode 2 preview where it looks like they'll actually start up the real story.

The quality was indeed shocking, especially for an OVA. I guess I'll replace these with DVD subs when they come out. This first episode basically introduced us to the setting and the main character. It seems she's one of the few who can see that tree(which I'm guessing is called Yggdrasil, hint from the opening credits) and the bubbles which is somehow linked to her immortality. Speaking of which, she reminds me of another immortal, green-haired anime girl.

The episode reminded me of Bible Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Speaking of which, she reminds me of another immortal, green-haired anime girl.
    But that other girl didn't get mutilated with piercings in sensitive places, which she promptly tore off.

That thing just put a "Stupid Wtf" look on my face for 20 minutes.

But hey, too bad it's not a 24 Eps season.

It'ld turned into something interesting ... maybe.

Why the hell is this encoded in DivX 5 @ 1024x576? It looks like ass. Are they seriously retarded? Regardless of the raw's quality, this is plain stupid.

which would be better, video quality wise. Last ep, or this one. I'll probably wait for Shinsen if it's an encoding fault on Doremi's part

Last episode was lower resolution but this one still looks like garbage even at a higher encoding resolution. It's most likely upscaled. Both are brutal. It's like watching one of those VHS rips from the late 90s.

Ouch, it was definitely shabby looking but I wouldn't go that far. There were also some translation or editing mistakes that stood out, but I wasn't paying all that much attention to anyway.

But moving past the video quality the show seems to be delievering well on the promised sex, blood, and violence themes and even managed to put togeather a better story this time around. Rin and Mimi's relationship was solidified, Rin's body was established as a hot commodity for several new parties, and they dropped plenty of details about what will probably develop into the central plot.

Other good things though were, the copious amounts of sex, blood, and violence. It's not the most violent thing I've seen, or the most bloody, or the most sexual, but all these elements fit together well with the story and didn't give the impression that they'd been shoehorned into the story just for shock value.

EDIT: Hitting the post button halfway through paragraph revision = bad
    Last edited by Yukimura; Thu, 03-06-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Judging from the preview, it looks like there will be a huge time jump in episode 3. Maeno looks about 50 years old.

No I think that since he's a clone he's just experiencing rapid aging. And if you listened to the conversation between Rin and Apos at the end right? She was like "he's making the most of his short time left". Also if you notice, he has a patch of white hair on the right side of his head. At first I thought it was just like a shaved spot for when he tried to shoot himself in the head or something. But further into the ep and the preview confirmed that he was rapidly aging.

I thought the "short time left" bit was referring to the angel.

I'm still rather confused so I guess it's not Maeno's rapid aging, but these stories are spanning quite a number of years? He even had a child. But that information chick hasn't aged has she?
    Last edited by animus; Sun, 04-13-2008 at 12:26 PM.

The information woman is probably an immortal as well, since it seems Rin has known her for quite a while.

Agreed. As to the time just look at the dates given at the beginning of each ep. Episode 1 took place in the 90's and this took place in 2018 iirc. The info lady has to be immortal to not change at all. And I was laughing out loud when I realized she had not just a random sex slave, but a random sex slave/helicopter pilot at her beck and call.

As for the main plot this ep got us to a pretty good halfway mark. The shady guy (girl?) with the chair of swords gets more and more interesting each time we see him(her?) and I'm quite anxious to find out its (screw it) identity. Plus we get more development and more insight into Rin and Mimi's lives. I hadn't really given much thought to the fact that that immortality would give them a good advantage with the stock markets.

Maeno was probably my favourite character in this show. For me, everything was pretty much told from his end of the story, being the human who aged normally and watched the mystery unfold. The story won't be quite the same without him. Looks like his wife knew the secret as well, or at least knew what it means if the spore's gone.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I wonder how Rin can regenerate from that kind of damage. She'd need to be like Alucard.