PDA

View Full Version : Death Note

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Munsu
Sat, 09-30-2006, 03:18 AM
Based on the very popular manga Death Note, which is great. Hopefully they won't fuck it up. I'm a bit skeptical with the choices of VA's, but we'll see.

Promo out by Karehi:
http://karehi.edwardk.info/%5BKarehi%5D_Death_Note_Promo_%5BH264_AAC%5D%5B44C 47DE5%5D.mp4.torrent

Karehi is calling the main character Raito, when it should be Light as explained by the mangaka in one of the volumes. Though I just set them straight, so they should correct this when they start releasing the series. Probably lots of groups will be doing this, so hopefully one of them is great because this series deserves it.

"Light Yagami is an ace student with great aspects who`s bored out of his mind. One day he finds the Death Note a notebook held by a shinigami (Death God). with the Death Note in hand, Light decides to create a perfect world. A world without crime or criminals. However when criminals start dropping dead one by one, the authorites send the legendary detective L to track down the killer."

http://www.ntv.co.jp/deathnote/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6592
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4563
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3755,jpxpss,death_note.html

kenren
Sat, 09-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Holy Shit ! I can't wait for this ! been reading the manga and was quite amazed! cheers!

dragonrage
Sat, 09-30-2006, 07:26 AM
I am not a manga reader, but this series certainly caught my attention and kept me interested. It is awsome that they are turning it into an anime, it would have been a crying shame if the did. I hope the anime doesn't dissappoint.

I will be eagerly waiting to see what becomes of this.

kAi
Sat, 09-30-2006, 09:02 AM
I can't wait for this, the manga is fucking awesome! One of the new series I'll definately be following!

yallo
Sat, 09-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Alright!!! The anime is finally here!
:D

To top it all off, the Live Action movie will actually be screened in the cinemas in Singapore!!! Man, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the poster and trailers in the subway station. Opening on 19 Oct, can't wait for it!
:D

Nai
Sat, 09-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Fucking awesome. I rarely read mangas but Death Note was one I just couldn't put down no matter what.

Looking forward to the anime. Better not disappoint.

Board of Command
Sat, 09-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about the manga so I have high expectations for the series.

Carnage
Sat, 09-30-2006, 07:59 PM
DYNOMITE~!

Deathnote was definatly one of my favorite mangas, and there were plenty of twists and surprises. I cant wait to see which groups will be fansubbing the anime. :D

Edit: I looked the anime up on anidb, and I saw that there there will only be 37 eps, so that means there will probably be ALOT of manga chapters summed up in each episode, which is a good thing in my opinion (Keeps the anime fresh and exciting, just like bleach). Best of all, we wont have to worry about fillers :)

Augury
Sat, 09-30-2006, 08:47 PM
37 would be a good pace, but not "a lot" of manga chapters per ep. But with 37, it does seem that there won't be any fillers. Perhaps I'll also look into this one since the manga was good - thanks for the heads up Budweineken.

Jadugar
Wed, 10-04-2006, 08:54 PM
The RAW is here.

Death Note 01- RAW (http://www.mininova.org/get/442694)

Now we need is a subbed version. Any takers?

Koyuki
Fri, 10-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Been waiting for this for a while. I hope they'll make it as good as the manga

kenren
Sat, 10-07-2006, 05:16 AM
http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP01_%5B9B72C4DD%5D.avi.torren t

TW (toriyama's world) SUB!!
=)

Koyuki
Sat, 10-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Nice to see TW subbing it, just hope they don't use a month to sub the next episode :S

Kraco
Sat, 10-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Based on the first episode this looked like a really interesting antihero series. Those are quite rare as it is, so in that sense it has also an inherent value beyond regular means of measurement. But also objectively speaking everything seemed to be in order in this series, technically and artistically. I do have a bit hard time seeing how this can support 37 episodes, but that's only because I haven't read the manga and thus I'm unaware of all the adventures there will be. But from what I've read in this thread, any such worries are needless.

Munsu
Sat, 10-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Is AK of Troy translating? He gave up on Bleach when they were working on it and left all translator responsabilities with Dragosmore.

Kraco
Sat, 10-07-2006, 01:37 PM
He seems to be translating. AK of Troy, that is.

seanos
Sat, 10-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Live-evil released Episode 01 (http://http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5DDeath_Note_01_%5B9E7D2142%5D.avi.torrent)

Munsu
Sat, 10-07-2006, 03:01 PM
v2 for TW:
http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/[TW]_Death_Note_EP01v2_[9751C0B5].avi.torrent

TW should be releasing the best version of this series.

[04:32] <Link_74> why the V2 so soon?
[04:32] <@Squirrellord> people just didn't like the font, so we changed it

Edit: Signs got fucked up in the v2 and some names were changed incorrectly... I recommend you keep the first version.

Yukimura
Sat, 10-07-2006, 04:55 PM
This show looks very interesting, as Kraco said, anti-heroes don't seem to get done very often, but they can be very refreshing if done well. From all the popularity the manga seems to have I can only assume this show will deliver.

Munsu
Sat, 10-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Don't expect the TW version to be as good as they used to be. They are some random members who called themselves TW. Just about the only original member is the translator, most of the old members of TW don't want anything to do with this group releasing Death Note.

Heck, they are fucking up with the v2 changing official names. They are forum members, not the actual group.

kenren
Sun, 10-08-2006, 03:29 AM
well, that was an okay start. Hope this series won't get screwed up, and TW > Live-eviL ?

Munsu
Sun, 10-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Translation wise, TW should be better... heck their translator translates DN manga for Viz. I haven't watched either version completely so I can't say very well. But if your going to get the TW version get their v1 over their v2... reffer to a previous post of mine for reasons.

yallo
Sun, 10-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Thoughts on Ep1 (potential spoilers?)

Somehow Raito/Light seems a lot more... more "evil" in the anime. The way he was laughing to himself in his room, his facial expression and near-fanatic mannerism in which he penned down the names in the Death Note... all those kinda freaked me out. I don't recall him being protrayed as such a twisted figure in the manga. =|

But overall, the animation was quite okay, although I don't really like the choice of Ryuk's VA. And the way the animation likes to go "split screen" kinda irks me.

Looking forward to Ep2 and the debut of L!!! :D
<3 <3 <3

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
As above, *possible spoilers*.

Its been ages since I read the start of the manga but yeah I thought that Light seemed a bit too mad as well, but maybe they wanted to make it more apparent who the 'bad guy' is to viewers who haven't read the manga and might piss off after the first episode. :D I'm hoping there isn't too much of that evil laughter in the series.

I think the split screen and the fast camera stuff when he's writing names is probably to make something fairly slow and mundane seem more dramatic. It'd probably be better if that didn't happen really, but I suppose it keeps the pace up. Some people might not just want to sit still for a second watching him write before the consequence happens (although I think that'd be better, I don't like unneccessary fast camera stuff).

I'm pretty chuffed with the way the ep came out though, the voices are all fairly decent (imo) so far and the show looks fairly nice.

Carnage
Sun, 10-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I do have a bit hard time seeing how this can support 37 episodes, but that's only because I haven't read the manga and thus I'm unaware of all the adventures there will be. But from what I've read in this thread, any such worries are needless.

Trust me, after reading the manga, its more like "I do have a bit hard time seeing how all this can fit in only 37 episodes." :p

Darknodin
Sun, 10-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Don't expect the TW version to be as good as they used to be. They are some random members who called themselves TW. Just about the only original member is the translator, most of the old members of TW don't want anything to do with this group releasing Death Note.

Heck, they are fucking up with the v2 changing official names. They are forum members, not the actual group.

What are the official names???

oh... haven't read the manga, but i'm now officially on with this show! That guy is obviously nuts with the book (i'd be too) and i don't see how he can be countered (by humans anyways... i mean really, it takes forty seconds to kill ANYONE...).... and what he did already amounts to a small scale genocide (and he's planning a large scale one)... this show will be great if this keeps up!

Munsu
Sun, 10-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Ryuk is the official name, not Ryuuku or whatever they used in the v2.

chobits1217
Sun, 10-08-2006, 06:21 PM
just saw the first episode, i thought it great
agree with what people mentioned, the anime did set Light as an evil character right fromt eh start, whereas in the manga it wasn't that noticable until much later. (i guess red eyes automatically makes an character evil:eek: )

and ya...i have read the manga, i really don't see how they gonna fit all that mind blowing plots in 37 episodes..

....god i wanna hear L's voice....he is my favourite character in this series!!!!!!
THEY BETTER DON'T SCREW UP THE VOICE!

eat_toast
Sun, 10-08-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm wow'ed by the first ep of this series. Everything seemed pretty top-notch, and, yes, like many others, I am looking forwad to how they do L. What gets me though is even if you haven't read the manga, this first ep. has a great hook to draw you in. It's a pretty fresh concept, and the dark atmosphere just brings out the evil in Light like nothing else. Definitely on my list to watch this season.

Bread-sama
Sun, 10-08-2006, 09:18 PM
IMO L-E > TW
They are using official names, non-yellow font and the translation seems pretty good. The only thing i have to complain is about the encode, but overall L-E is the best choice atm :).

Mae
Sun, 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi people, it's been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to come back and comment on this series since I've been looking forward to it.

The animation seems nice, especially the death god, and I thought the VA's were decent. I was disappointed on how they changed things to hurry the story though. In the manga Light wasn't crazy to begin with. He was a decent kid, and he honestly wanted to help people by using the Death Note. It was only as he kept going he became more and more corrupted by the power he was using, until he felt that he was justified in doing pretty much anything. It made his character more sympathetic and the story a little more subversive. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing where they'll go with this :cool:

Kraco
Mon, 10-09-2006, 01:55 AM
I was disappointed on how they changed things to hurry the story though. In the manga Light wasn't crazy to begin with. He was a decent kid, and he honestly wanted to help people by using the Death Note. It was only as he kept going he became more and more corrupted by the power he was using, until he felt that he was justified in doing pretty much anything. It made his character more sympathetic and the story a little more subversive.

That might indeed be something that could bother manga readers, but for me, who has never read the manga, this current situation might be even better. It's hard to justify killing people left and right, to be the police, judge and jury at the same time, and thus I prefer there's no excessive attempts to, but the fellow just is megalomaniac and somewhat cracked.

RasenDori
Mon, 10-09-2006, 09:06 AM
unfortunately that aspect of lights personality that they omitted is a big deal a major issue in the manga. i cant imagine that they would change it.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-09-2006, 12:53 PM
well i watched the first episode and immediately went out and read the first two volumes of the manga. I think they did a pretty good job with Light. They added a couple scenes showing how truly disgusted he is with the entire human race, and that seemed to justify him acting so mad so early on. (at least for me)... It gave rationale to his character's actions and i actually thought that was something that came across as a little weak, or just under supported, in the first couple manga chapters.

but enough about the manga....

The animation is good. The character designs are true and the voices sound allright (L is going to be a big test.... i wonder who they have lined up for his voice?).

The premise of this show is weak. A magic book with all that power falling into the straight-A student's hands, bored demons. Sounds totally lame, right? Well, just by itself i'd say yes, but in reality it's not. The concepts in this show are powerful and that (along with the genius cat-and-mouse challenges coming up) really makes it something worth watching. Moral and ethical dilemmas abound, and you really can't be disinterested by them.

My favorite thing so far: The main character being a villain. At least in my eyes Light is a villain, and I fucking love rooting for villains!

Least favorite: The overdramatic music and montage scene with L scribbling furiously in the Death Note and people falling to their deaths. I thought that was too standard anime fare.

needless to say, sticking with this one.

kenren
Mon, 10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Lol ! i agree about the overdramatic scene. He's doing it with style..

As for L , click click! (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=277)

He's the VA for Ussop and Ranma. O_O

Munsu
Mon, 10-09-2006, 11:39 PM
I really hate that voice actor, especially in a serious role... hopefully it'll work out.

DDBen
Tue, 10-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Translation wise, TW should be better... heck their translator translates DN manga for Viz. I haven't watched either version completely so I can't say very well. But if your going to get the TW version get their v1 over their v2... reffer to a previous post of mine for reasons.

TW has certainly put out many good subs in the past and there translations are always top of the line. Unfortunately if you don't like the V2 names why would you assume that aspect will be fixed in a future episode they subbed? Also I could be completely wrong about this but I can't recall any series TW has actually subbed from start to finish as they always end up WAY behind on the episodes for instance were they not around episode 30 of Naruto when episode 80 was already out? I personally would recommend avoiding TW subs like the plague despite there quality for that reason.

That being said episode 1 was quite good. I have not read the manga but I have been told to by friends many many times and now I see why. Everything in this episode makes me want to see more of this series and for now I will definatly be looking forward to future episodes. Heck I might even bother to read the manga at some point ;)

Munsu
Tue, 10-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Because the V2 was probably done by some jackasses of the group without talking to the rest of the staff, especially the translator who is the only real member of TW. As how they'll handle the name changes from episode 2 on, I don't know. But as of right now I can see how disorganized they are, and that's not a good sign. In fact, the real TW group doesn't approve of this one, and that's why they forced them to create their own channel in rizon instead of enterthegame were the real TW channel is.

But enough of this, I just wanted to point out to you guys, that you should not expect the same quality from the group

Mae
Wed, 10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
It's hard to justify killing people left and right, to be the police, judge and jury at the same time.

True, but isn't that the premise of most vigilante super-hero stories? Ordinary guy gets super powers and decides it is his duty to buck the system and right the wrongs of the world (think Spiderman or Batman, the Punisher I believe kills people pretty indiscriminately).

But his power isn't a magical sword or super strength, and he gets to skip the whole tracking down and fighting the bad guys part and go strait to the end scene, making the whole thing that much harder to justify. And you know how when the villain is down and the hero just stops to talk to him and you're like "Don't be an idiot! Just kill him already!" but he doesn't and the villain has time to escape or use some kind of final trick? Well, Light is the smart "hero" that just kills him.

masamuneehs
Thu, 10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
and add C1anime to the fray of groups subbing Death Note!

Death Note - episode 01 - C1anime (http://a.scarywater.net/c1anime/%5BC1%5DDeath_Note_-_01%5BXviD%5D%5B6B7737A3%5D.avi.torrent)

They did a pretty damn good job with Mushishi, and I think I watched something else of theirs awhile back that was well done also... But it'll still be hard for them to compete with Live and all the others. Anybody who knows quality from crap fansubs want to chime in?

Zati
Thu, 10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Episode 2 by Live-evil

http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-Evil%5D_Death_Note_02_%5BAC635AF5%5D.avi.torrent

Yukimura
Thu, 10-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Intense and intrigueing, I can see why everyone was so excited about this show now. It's a battle of wits but both sides are probably going to be chock full of surprises. The last scene with Light and L mirroring one another was excellent, showing that they are like two sides of a coin. I can only hope Light is able to stand up to L's abilites with his relative lack of resources so the game cango on longer.

Boomstick
Thu, 10-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I've heard about death Note before but never checked it out. I gotta say after the first 2 episodes i'm impressed and i'm now reading the manga

Lucifus
Thu, 10-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Goddamn! This anime is pretty f*cking interesting. Never heard of Death Note before though.:rolleyes: Anywayz, to me, the personality of *Kira* ownz. I don't know how he was in the manga, but it ownz now.

I'm definatly keeping with this.:cool:

Zati
Thu, 10-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Episode 2 by Toriyama's World

http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP02_%5BAB249DDA%5D.avi.torren t

MFauli
Fri, 10-13-2006, 03:20 AM
Which one is better so far, live-evil or TW?

kenren
Fri, 10-13-2006, 08:03 AM
i prefer TW over live-evil.

anyway, cool episode! L's voice is alright. This series will definitely go all the way to the top , i hope.

Munsu
Fri, 10-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Haven't watched the episode yet, but TW has gone back to using the official spelling of Ryuk, which is a good sign. I just with TW and Live-eviL would do a joint, TW provides translator and L-E the editors, the releases would be much better.

MFauli
Fri, 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Man, this anime is GREAT!
Does anyone know, if the subbers are going to release DN every week like Naruto or Bleach, or are they taking longer for their releases like Eureka Seven, Mushishi, etc.?
I cant wait for ep 3 >_<

yallo
Fri, 10-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Haven't watched the episode yet, but TW has gone back to using the official spelling of Ryuk, which is a good sign. I just with TW and Live-eviL would do a joint, TW provides translator and L-E the editors, the releases would be much better.

Agree wholeheartedly.

L-E has much nicer presentation overall, the choice of fonts & colors. But their translation is a little iffy. Haven't watched Ep2 yet, but in Ep1, there were one or two translation errors.

If L-E and TW were to do a joint, most likely we would be able to get the best of both worlds. Great translation and awesome styling. What a pity.

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-15-2006, 01:38 AM
episode 2 was pretty freakin awesome. The "showdown" went perfectly, and I actually like L's computerized voice, which is rare. Haven't heard enough of the real voice to make a call on that one yet.

this show rocks, hard.

reminisc
Sun, 10-15-2006, 02:14 AM
maaaaaaaaaaaaaan....i just watched the two episodes and omg...i had so many chills! haha

i liked the bit in episode 2 where he was telling ryuk what humans are really like, when faced with a question such as ''is it all right to kill someone evil'' people have to put up a facade in public and say no. Light seems to understand humans pretty well and it's almost as though Light is the real face of humanity...

haha man i haven't been this excited about an anime series in ages!!! briiing on ep 3!!!

Carnage
Sun, 10-15-2006, 09:32 AM
>.< I think this might be the first anime I like thats better than its manga. I just watched ep 2 yesterday and I think they did L perfectly. I still cant wait to hear his real voice. I just noticed a couple of spoilers but I dont want to mention them :( Cant wait for next week's ep.

Board of Command
Sun, 10-15-2006, 12:05 PM
I caught up with the two episodes and wow, this series truly is something else. The idea of two invisible men hunting each other is pretty original. I think this series could rival the plot of Monster.

Knives122
Sun, 10-15-2006, 07:21 PM
The show is pretty amazing I'll give it that. This is the first mystery-esque anime I've watched and it's definately well worth it.(might read the manga if I get the chance).

I think I'm really going to enjoy this show.

Carnage
Sun, 10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I just realized, since theres only 37 episodes, maybe they're only going to do half the series? Because it would be possible to end the story at the midway point if you (mangareaders) think about it. What do you guys think? At this rate, can they possibly fit it all in 37 episodes?

Board of Command
Sun, 10-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I guess they can if you seem to think so, based on the manga storyline.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 10-16-2006, 11:21 PM
i suppose that would be ok but i'd rather if they were to do a 2nd season and finish all the manga, this anime has potential to be alot better then the manga base on how well the voice actor and music composer succeed in creating the theme of death note.

Aeon
Wed, 10-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Ep 1 didn't really impress me that much so when I downloaded ep 2 I just let it sit on my hd for a couple days. Just watched it to kill time before Lost and man that ep was sick. The music mixed with them talking at the end and Ryuk's little talking inbetween was great. This is shaping up to be a great series.

Zinobi
Wed, 10-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Im really liking the anti-hero feel to this show. Ryuk, "L", and "Kira" are some of the best characters I've seen in awhile. Really looking forward to episode 3.

stratosthegreek
Thu, 10-19-2006, 03:18 AM
After seeing episode 2 I'm now completely snagged and I'm sure I'll follow this anime

I wasn't too convinced there was much plot potential after watching Ep. 1, but now I'm super-mega-stoked

Munsu
Thu, 10-19-2006, 11:52 AM
TW 3:
http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP03_%5B1FEF2377%5D.avi.torren t

Board of Command
Thu, 10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Has the manga finished?

Zati
Thu, 10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Yes the manga was completed last year.

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Death Note - episode 3 - Live- Evil (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_03_%5B82DA4482%5D.avi.torrent)

Psyke
Fri, 10-20-2006, 11:56 AM
I've just watched the first 2 episodes and I must say it's pretty good. The animation looks great, and the plot's pretty interesting too. I've not started any new anime series in a few months, so I'm glad to have finally found something to watch. And yeah, I'll be watching the live action movie tomorrow!

Assassin
Fri, 10-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Theres a deathnote live action movie? 0.o

Zati
Fri, 10-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes I think it came out in June at Japan and that was the first part. There is two parts of the live action movie the second part is coming November 3rd. The Red Hot Chili Peppers did the ending theme Dani California.

Official Website

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/deathnote/

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvq25hAIJ5A&mode=related&search=

Psyke
Sat, 10-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Just back from the movie. It was quite good, but I've only watched 2 episodes and I don't read the manga, so I can't comment on the differences or how loyal it is to the source. But as a movie viewer, I was entertained and I'm looking forward to the second part which will hopefully give a good closure to the story.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
well it seems i'm always doomed to be one of the last to comment on episodes of shows... but...

I really like Matsuda's voice (i thought he sounded familar, but when i went to look him up the only thing he'd been in was Mushishi, where he voiced several characters in the various episodes) and really think that the voice acting in this show is very good so far. Mogi's voice is the one I like the least so far... The more I hear of L's real voice, the more I like it as well, although the computer generated voice, along with the music they play for it, is pretty awesome too.

enter the FBI... enter the Eyes' Bargain... man I can't wait for next episode!

Zati
Fri, 10-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Yes Just out by TW!

Episode 4 - Toriyama's World (http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP04_%5BDF40211F%5D.avi.torren t)

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-27-2006, 02:14 AM
for those who prefer (myself being one), Live-evil's version of episode 4 is out as well.

Death Note - Page 4 - Live-Evil (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_04_%5B55729F56%5D.avi.torrent)

Stoopider
Fri, 10-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Yup. LIve Evil for me as well...

yallo
Fri, 10-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Agree totally.

After I spotted a few typos & spelling erros, and countless poor timing and the nearly non-existent editing... I gave up on TW version and deleted them away. =|

Not sure if anyone noticed, but somehow L's computerized voice suddenly became much more.... uh "un-computerized" in Ep3??

Psyke
Fri, 10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Hmmm. I'm still downloading TW's releases though. Their fonts don't really bother me that much, and I'm don't really nit pick on timing. Maybe I'll switch to another sub group if I start to notice mistakes. So far I haven't been observant enough.....

Still downloading episode 4. Release date of the second movie's in December where I live, and I'm totally looking forward to that. :p

MFauli
Fri, 10-27-2006, 10:46 AM
This series is simply awsome.
Episode was sooo great again >_<
Best series at the moment, by far.

Kraco
Fri, 10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Quite an episode indeed. You rarely see as intricate plots as in this episode. Naturally a series like this requires a masterful story to be even able to exist, but that truth of course makes it no less exciting, as it's pretty impossible to try to predict events like those that happened in this ep. Jolly good.

Boomstick
Fri, 10-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Damn another great episode. I really like the characters and the storyline this is definintely one of the best series out right now can't wait for episode #5

Psyke
Sat, 10-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah good episode, but I think the movie has already spoiled the plot for me as I knew exactly what will happen. Still, I must agree that the idea and plot for this series is outstanding.

Stoopider
Sat, 10-28-2006, 09:41 AM
I wonder if he'll kill the FBI dude. Wouldn't that make him uber suspicious? Because the FBI dude is investigating him... unless it's just a backup plan, in case he knows too much.

Kraco
Sat, 10-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, since he's as eager to hunt down L as kill criminals, it's hard to predict what he's going to do and how far to go. He has already made it evident to L that he can access the police data. But that was only the beginning.

Aeon
Sat, 10-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Another fine episode, Sucks to be the FBI agent if he dies afterwards since he's just decided not to investigate him anymore.

Mae
Sat, 10-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Not too bad an ep, although heavy on the dialogue, which can be a problem in series more focused on plotting and intrigue. As something of a super-hero like character Light doesn't have any physical abilities above the norm. His ability is basically "ok you die now" which doesn't typically lead to a lot of chases or gun fights. I also think makes what he does harder to condone compared to a vigilante who actually has to hunt down and fight the bad guys (Batman or something), although really the outcome is the same. It was also somewhat creepy watching him play with his power and being pretty unaffected by the deaths of those involved.

Kraco
Sat, 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
He's not a hero, but an anti-hero. Don't forget that essential fact. If you try to fit him into the mold of a traditional hero of most series, then your thoughs start to clash with the reality. The ideology of evil is different from that of the good guys. Yet often the most interesting villains are those who think they are doing the right things, that is, believe in what they are doing. You don't often have villains as main characters, and that's something that makes this series so sweet.

Yukimura
Sat, 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
The way I see it Light wanted to know that guy's name so he would have the power to kill him if need be. Light is probably too smart to draw suspicion to himself by having the FBI agent tailing him die, since any accident happening to him would likely be linked to 'Kira' and make Light a prime suspect.

Another aspect that I'd like to see explored is whether the Death Note can cause others to die along with the target. For example, If Light knew the name of both the pilot and copilot of an airplane and made them die, the passengers would likely die as well, but not directly as a result of the Death Note's influence.

xDarkMaster
Sat, 10-28-2006, 05:41 PM
It was also somewhat creepy watching him play with his power and being pretty unaffected by the deaths of those involved.

Isn't that kinda a good thing? It means the anime is doing what it's supposed to be doing, telling an awesome story.

reminisc
Thu, 11-02-2006, 10:56 AM
just finished watching episode 3 and 4 and i just have to say it's VERY scary how he can construct these scenarios and manipulate everything like a puppet...like even if he didn't have the death note as his weapon he'd still be a guy you wouldn't wanna cross..>.<

yeah about the shinigami's eye thing, for a second at the end of ep 3 i thought light was actually gonna make the trade but yeah..it was pretty amusing to see ryuk's attempt to manipulate light into making the deal fail aswell. Where he chose THAT moment to tell light about the deal..cause like any other person would panic and accept the deal to get rid of the agent...but yeah i guess you can't manipulate the master of manipulation lol...

lol at first i couldn't tell if ryuk was dissapointed cause you can't really see any expressions on his goofy face but yeah then he came up with the comment how light always ''gives him trouble with that kind of stuff''

can't wait for the next ep, this series is brilliant! :D

masamuneehs
Thu, 11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
i loved how they did the bus scene. solid gold all the way around. I also like how they drew Penbar, something about his character design just really strikes me.

Boo Raito! Hooray L!

Zati
Fri, 11-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Live-Evil just released and this time faster than TW!

Episode 5 - Live-Evil (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_05_%5B7E26DF19%5D.avi.torrent)

masamuneehs
Sat, 11-04-2006, 06:29 PM
man I loved this episode. The train scene was great, especially the end of it. Raito is such a dirty bastard, saying all that shit to his father about "If anything happens to you, I'll hunt down Kira myself". He's truly disgusting...

I really don't see Raito/Light as an anti-hero at all. I think of anti-heroes as those who do virtuous things, good things, but lack traditional heroic characteristics or motivation. Raito is almost the opposite. The things he does are evil (my personal belief here, obviously this is where fans will disagree, and it's one of the things that makes this stoy awesome)

But at the same time Raito has almost all of the characteristics of the typical hero. He truly believes what he is doing is heroic. His intentions are to help others, make the world a better place, all heroic to the utmost. Thinking about it this way he's an anti-anti-hero. I like to think of it as a protagonist being a villian, one of the things I really like about Death Note.

lambchopsil
Sat, 11-04-2006, 09:03 PM
And TW finally released

Torrent (http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP05_%5B877A7356%5D.avi.torren t)

Kraco
Sun, 11-05-2006, 08:26 AM
I really don't see Raito/Light as an anti-hero at all. I think of anti-heroes as those who do virtuous things, good things, but lack traditional heroic characteristics or motivation. Raito is almost the opposite. The things he does are evil (my personal belief here, obviously this is where fans will disagree, and it's one of the things that makes this stoy awesome)

But at the same time Raito has almost all of the characteristics of the typical hero. He truly believes what he is doing is heroic. His intentions are to help others, make the world a better place, all heroic to the utmost. Thinking about it this way he's an anti-anti-hero. I like to think of it as a protagonist being a villian, one of the things I really like about Death Note.

Well, before this most recent episode he no doubt would have fitted any definition of anti-hero, since he had only killed criminals. Nowadays anti-hero often refers to main characters that do what main characters usually do but in a clearly unorthodox manner and only following their own code of honour and morals, caring little of what are the norms of the society.

However, after this episode he's a clear villain in my opinion. In society's eyes he's a criminal and he liquidated the law enforced seeking for him. That's as clear a sign of being a villain as any. Few works really have true villains as main characters, and thus such characters are often called just anti-heroes, no matter how far they are from any heroic traits...

I don't honestly know if Light really believes he's doing heroic things. I think he just doesn't care. Surely he believes killing the criminals is the only way to go, but I don't think he considered killing the FBI agents as heroic. It was just necessary and doable. And perhaps he also simply enjoys the game with L. He already knows he's damned, himself, so it doesn't anymore matter how many names he adds to the list.

Phoenix20578
Mon, 11-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Well, I kinda agree with the reasoning behind the FBI agent killings. I would say that Light killed them because they were impeding his work, and they were getting to close to his real life. In most cases of the "betterment of the world" the ends justify the means. If some just people had to be killed for the greater good, so be it. It isn't necesaraly that Light is bad or evil, but has already come to this conclusion.

I'm very curious about L's mindset about this. I can tell that he has a very clear and stong sense of justice, like Light. I'm really curious about why he does what he does thou. This series' story is amazing, so I'm sure the rest wont disappoint.

?igma
Mon, 11-06-2006, 01:45 AM
His mindset is pretty simple. he never killed them, the other agent did. Im sure Light is twisted enough to see logic in that perspective. Not to mention that things are starting to get fucked up with the female ex-FBI that he doesnt know about, so I think Light will start losing control over his game soon enough, which probably will make him resort to true crime.

Kraco
Mon, 11-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Once more I have to disagree with you, ?igma. Only a mentally very weak person would make excuses like he didn't kill them but the agent who actually wrote the names. That wasn't an act to shift the blame but a method dictated by the whole plan how he got the names and the faces connected to each other conveniently. He already knows the limits of the book somewhat, and that was probably as far as he could stretch them in that situation.

?igma
Mon, 11-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Once more I have to disagree with you, ?igma. Only a mentally very weak person would make excuses like he didn't kill them but the agent who actually wrote the names. That wasn't an act to shift the blame but a method dictated by the whole plan how he got the names and the faces connected to each other conveniently. He already knows the limits of the book somewhat, and that was probably as far as he could stretch them in that situation.

WEll, yeah, Im highly doubting it myself hihi, but its so typical to put something like that in as an excuse :P Secretly I hope he didnt think it like that ^^

Cant go offensiveh ere, since youre probably right :D

ChibiYali
Wed, 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Ah, good to see that there's a thread here about Death Note (as expected)
I ran into it at some point and got sucked in from ep 1. and conveniently dragged my boyfriend in with me :p

We are now both Death Note addicts ^.^

So, for the reviewness..

Ep 5 was great, as usual. I love how Light always manages to twist things around in a way that it's convenient for him, while at times taking large risks.
I'm curious as to how the female ex-FBI thing will work out, and how things will go with L.

Will stay tuned ;)

Zati
Fri, 11-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Yes just out by Live-Evil!

Episode 6 - Live-Evil (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_06_%5B8C409A0C%5D.avi.torrent)

masamuneehs
Fri, 11-10-2006, 12:25 PM
first: I love how they did L. All the constant fidgeting and scratching, the awkward posture and sitting, dead on. Like a dog with fleas... but smart as hell...

His voice is also pretty good, and I really am pulling for him. While Raito has already shown that he doesn't care if he kills wrongfully, L takes great pains to avoid causing casualties. But masa, don't you normally pull for the villains? That's true, but that's almost always in fantastical animes, especially where the line between good/evil is so stark and cliched. But here you have a much more realistic mix of personalities.

Besides, I hate the egotistical, straight A, self-centered type that Raito represents... besides, only a bastard could kill someone's fiance, meet her, and have the guts to act like it's a tragedy, just so he can get info to kill her off with...

oh, also noticed that Aizawa (investigator with the big hair) is voiced by the same guy who does Holland in Eureka7, Nathan in Blood+, Irvine from the original Zoids and Reno in Final Fantasy. Great that they pulled out a high-profile VA for that role

God that scene where Raito is roping Mika in is a killer. It's like watching a horror movie where someone goes down into the basement, alone, and goes to investigate a strange noise in the darkest corner... The audience is like: "Youre gonna get killed bitch! Don't do it!"

High Wind
Fri, 11-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Great episode, as expected from Death Note.

I love how Light starts as a guy who kills criminals to make the world a better place, but begins to spiral downward by killing innocent people, in effect becoming more like the killers and convicts he's passing judgement on.

L has got to be one of the coolest characters I've seen so far. Brilliant deductive mind; odd quirks (lol I don't think I could ever sit like that for an extended period of time).

I also love it when they boil all the colours down to Black White Blue and Red. I dunno, there's just something about it I find really appealing.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/342/deathnote6capaw5.jpg

Board of Command
Fri, 11-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Death Note 06 - Toriyama's World (http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP06_%5BE2F47D8F%5D.avi.torren t)

Lucifus
Fri, 11-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Hmm. Nice ep. :cool:
Haha, right on the money, this is pretty much what I was thinking while watching this.

"It's like watching a horror movie where someone goes down into the basement, alone, and goes to investigate a strange noise in the darkest corner... The audience is like: "Youre gonna get killed bitch! Don't do it!" "

Hmm, she was supposedly a really good former FBI agent if I remember correctly, so hopefully shes using a fake name or something.:rolleyes:

Knives122
Fri, 11-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Like that would ever happen.....

Hopefully next ep will be like a wacky scenario where a lot of weird things happen to her(like meeting a clown and going on a adventure) right up to the point where she's trampled by a moose.

Kraco
Sat, 11-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Was the fiancee's name revealed at some point? I seem to recall such a scene. But anyway, it would seem likely to me she told a fake name, and coupled with Light now saying he won't be witnessing the death, she will actually live on, and Light will just believe she's dead. After all, I don't know why she would suddenly just tell her correct name after coming up with such a scenario. It would be like training martial arts for years and then getting your ass kicked by a regular drunkard in a bar. Unlikely.

Also, I think the shinigami's reaction when she told her name could indicate she lied. After all, the shinigami know people's names, and would thus know whether she told the real name or not. And naturally he wouldn't reveal that to Light. After all, the Death doesn't choose sides.

But this is one fine series, indeed. Very succesful characters.

Yukimura
Sat, 11-11-2006, 02:19 PM
This development was excellent and I wonder how Light will get rid of her. She probably did give him a fake name, perhaps in an effort to snare him, though I doubt she suspects him yet.

Knives122
Sat, 11-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Also, I think the shinigami's reaction when she told her name could indicate she lied. After all, the shinigami know people's names, and would thus know whether she told the real name or not. And naturally he wouldn't reveal that to Light. After all, the Death doesn't choose sides.

I don't know, it looked like he was laughing at the fact that Light got her to trust him to the point to say her name the same as him(even saying the way it's spelt no less). But this is doubtable seeing how someone that smart wouldn't fall into that so easily(Although, Light is a genius, so pretty much anything is possible up to this point).

Kraco
Sat, 11-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, I think they will need to start to build obstacles for Light at some point. That's one reason why I think it would have been too easy to get the correct name just like that. After all, this series will have plenty of episodes. So far it has been pretty easy for him, despite the complexity of some of the plots he has used.

Yukimura
Sat, 11-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Well there's plenty of story left from what I understand, there were 13 volumes of manga and apparently this last episode came from the 2nd volume, so I'm sure lot's more will happen before it's over.

masamuneehs
Fri, 11-17-2006, 12:50 AM
all the awesome discussion on this show got wiped in the crash... :(

anyone care to (re)voice their opinion on Light?

I personally think his agenda is morally ambitious, and i'd root for him up until a point. His main problem is that he lets the power of the Death Note get to him, making him both cocky and forgetful of his goal. He sees maintaining his power as more important than actually "being justice" and kills someone who (he thinks) has commited no crime, Lind L Taylor.

besides, i absolutely hate the smart, good looking, self-absorbed, over-achiever type who believes their point of view is worth more than others. I simply dislike Light as a person, no matter what role his character is cast in. He is a rather despicable baddie because of that asshole/manipulative personality tho

Zati
Fri, 11-17-2006, 04:22 AM
Yes just released!

Episode 7 - Live-Evil (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_07_%5B2318801E%5D.avi.torrent)

Psyke
Fri, 11-17-2006, 04:42 AM
all the awesome discussion on this show got wiped in the crash... :(

anyone care to (re)voice their opinion on Light?

Yeah noticed some of the L posts got missing too. Just wondering: would it count as a spoiler if I posted pics of Light and L from the live movie? Because I think they really fit their roles well. :D

*waits for the DVD to be released*

stratosthegreek
Fri, 11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
That was truly an amazing episode. It left me with going OMG OMG OMG the last several minutes. Man, I've waited all day for episode 7 to come out and it was so worth it. Such a good story/set up/plot/character development. Anyways, I hope others find it as good as I did.

complich8
Fri, 11-17-2006, 02:52 PM
yeah ... that was some tension right there ...

I was kinda rooting for her. :(

?igma
Fri, 11-17-2006, 05:33 PM
That was ..awesome yet..disturbing..

Aeon
Fri, 11-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Crap I'm behind, I just watched ep 6 and came to talk about it and see that everyone else is on 7. I have 6 things to watch ahead of this.

High Wind
Fri, 11-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Damn I love Death Note. It had me half wanting the former-FBI agent to win because it would bring an end to Kira and half wanting Light to win so that the story wouldn't end prematurely. I also love how this series tends to end each episode with some dramatic flair. I'm always satisfied by the ending to each episode.

Knives122
Fri, 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Crap I'm behind, I just watched ep 6 and came to talk about it and see that everyone else is on 7. I have 6 things to watch ahead of this.

Don't feel bad Aeon, I haven't watched 7 either.

Foomanchew24
Fri, 11-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Kind of a sad episode, for the lady. She had been careful and L cracked her just in time. He wins, becoming even more corrupt as the series goes on and she loses her life. Sad on both sides. L is slowly becoming what he dispises, a criminal.

Apraxhren
Fri, 11-17-2006, 10:30 PM
TW release of Death Note 07:
http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP07_%5B10BAD166%5D.avi.torren t

?igma
Sat, 11-18-2006, 01:40 AM
During all of this, he missed one tiny little thing though. Even a suicide corpse will eventually turn up, because he made her choose her own location, it could be in a damn 7/11 store.

The investigators or at least L will see this Death eventually and link it to the FBI deaths.

No biggie yet , but one of the investigators(If I'm correct) passed Light during his conversation with the female FBI. The girl faced the investigator. Even when showing no or a marginal awareness/attention, this guy has to have seen something. As soon as the picture of the girl pops up, he might remember it and they might have theirselves a new and fresh remodeled Profile of their criminal. Maybe not 100% accurate, but haircolor,size and build are at least a few of them.

Kraco
Sat, 11-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Dunno about that. I think it's getting evident this is a personal Light vs L fight now. The task force is clearly incompentent, so they will be of little use other than doing specific tasks for L, so I'd be surprised if that guy paid any attention whatsoever to his surroundings, because he wasn't told to. After all, they had even no system to carefully monitor and question every person that might reveal something, as was made evident by how the former-FBI agent was turned away empty handed with not much inquiries.

And the agent, in the end, just wanted to join her dead fiancee, and thus let Light talk her to surrender. I certainly had higher hopes of her. But on the other hand, it's just ep 7/36 (or something), so maybe it's far too early to build too much pressure on Light. He's still having it easy. Even if this should have taught him he needs to be even more careful. Unless this just gives him more self-confidence.

L is slowly becoming what he dispises, a criminal.
I guess you meant Light... And Light was a criminal right after he killed the first victim. And he's even been a mass murderer already for a good while. The next step would be a genocide, a crime against humanity, but I doubt we will get to see that... After all, he has no reason for that, although I think he would already be perfectly capable of anything.

?igma
Sat, 11-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Doubt because of the length of the anime is an illegal argument :P

Im just saying, L will know, which means the police will have to come across it in the end, which means they *might* remember that. ( or rather that one guy )

masamuneehs
Sat, 11-18-2006, 12:32 PM
yeah i got really pissed off when i saw this part. I really liked her character and wanted her to be around for longer. Having a rogue investigator trying to track down Kira, separate from L and his crew, would have been an awesome sideplot.

and as she's gone there's nobody with any clue that Kira can kill people with more than heart attacks...

then again, she really made Light sweat quite a bit. This is his second "sloppy" kill after the Lind L Taylor thing. He had to rush to do it, and this was covering the fallout from the FBI thing. Like someone else noticed, there are cracks in this one for the investigation team to pry.

Oh, and I'm really liking how they put in different rules from the Death Note in different segues (sp?) between the midway point of episodes.

Knives122
Sat, 11-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Well he pretty much made sure that her body wouldn't be found after she commited suicide, and it was linked with Ray's death.

So no normal person(maybe even L) would be able to make the connection so fast b/c you would need the events and facts that are only knowlegable to Ray, Naomi and Light(and we all know he isn't telling anyone).

Kraco
Sat, 11-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, let's hope L will shape up at some point. So far his tricks haven't been quite as impressive as Light's, especially after the initial one that located Light in Japan. I mean, it even looks like he hasn't checked the police computer system logs to try to track down who has been using the access to the task force files, and then tried to evaluate if all those events of accessing were legitimate. Killing the former FBI agent pissed me off, and so I'm expecting L to do, for a change, something else than just drink coffee.

Psyke
Sat, 11-18-2006, 02:09 PM
There's no point in checking the system logs because he already knew that Kira is connected to some one in the task force or in the police force, and that he's just using his account to access the information. That's why he's taking so many precautions against them. And I'm sure L's going to pull of something soon.

?igma
Sat, 11-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Well he pretty much made sure that her body wouldn't be found after she commited suicide, and it was linked with Ray's death.

Ever tried telling anyone "go kill yourself someplace where noone would find you. I wouldnt even know a place where they wouldnt find me anywhere near my Province :> Maybe with a lot of concrete attached to my feet on the bottom of the North Sea :P

MFauli
Sat, 11-18-2006, 06:33 PM
There's no point in checking the system logs because he already knew that Kira is connected to some one in the task force or in the police force, and that he's just using his account to access the information. That's why he's taking so many precautions against them. And I'm sure L's going to pull of something soon.

But couldnt L check the times when someone was logging onto the policeīs server, and compare it with the times, the 6 police-men havent been logged in actually?

@episode 7:

Amazing, simply amazing. The whole episode is actually walking to one side and walking back a little...but all the tension, the psychological mind games, itīs awsome.
And im glad, seh died. It would have been totally typical, if that character would have lived on. And i hated her, i cant stand it when a great "villain" like Light loses to a angry woman >_<
Thats also a point, why i love Death Note: Itīs unpredictable.

Psyke
Sat, 11-18-2006, 09:55 PM
But couldnt L check the times when someone was logging onto the policeīs server, and compare it with the times, the 6 police-men havent been logged in actually?

Well another possible reason might be that Light has already covered up his tracks and deleted all system logs, being the meticulous type of person that he is.

Kraco
Sun, 11-19-2006, 04:09 AM
I doubt he has that kind of access level. His father was no system administrator, just some police boss (which is essentially why he could use his father's access; if the access level had been high, I doubt Light would have ever learned the password). So, with a series with so much attention to minute details, there's a hollow sound there until it's explained somehow. Well, it's not like I really considered that any huge mistake by the script writers. It's awfully hard to write a story with truly all details right in place. That hardly happens even in the real life...

Mae
Sun, 11-19-2006, 01:11 PM
This was what in the manga finally turned me against Light. He usually kills his victims from a distance and is pretty cold about it (just killing as a means to and end, trying to create better world). Even the Penbar killing was pretty cold.

But in this case he panics a bit and is just vicious. No empathy for the girl at all. I thought he'd be like, "It's too bad I have to kill her, she'd be a good agent" or something, but instead he almost seems to enjoy himself, selfish prick. He did NOT need to tell her he was Kira, but he HAS to rub in his victory, let the other person know he's won. Probably this will lead to his downfall.

Knives122
Sun, 11-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Well he didn't really have a choice with Naomi like he did with Ray. She was going back to the department and that cop was too. She would've given the police what she knew and Light's plan would've gone up in smoke.

But I somewhat agree with the "didn't need to rub it in that he won". He did the same thing with Ray right before he died. I guess that's just his way of given them the satisfaction of knowing who it is before they die.

Board of Command
Sun, 11-19-2006, 01:47 PM
I thought it was rather foolish of him to reveal that he's Kira. Naomi was clever enough to give a fake name the first time, and despite how she acted after being invited to the task force, she could have given another fake ID the second time as a trick. Hell, for all we know she might not even have a real name because she could have been one of those ghost agents in the world.

eat_toast
Sun, 11-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Ep. 7 - whew, man. What an episode. Even though I have read the manga and knew what was happening, I was still blown away by the scene. I was rooting for Light the whole time, though it was enjoyable to see him start to squirm a bit, because it gives him a weak side too.I started to laugh a little (God that sounds horrible), especially when Light starts to really hook in that girl. The "I am Kira" sequence, imo, was very well executed. A great Ep. overall, I cannot wait for the next!

darkshadow
Sun, 11-19-2006, 02:52 PM
i dispise light..... that bastard, i hope L kills him... breaking his neck or something. :P

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-19-2006, 04:36 PM
I started to laugh a little (God that sounds horrible), especially when Light starts to really hook in that girl. The "I am Kira" sequence, imo, was very well executed. A great Ep. overall, I cannot wait for the next!

i'll admit i "mwhaha'd" at that part as well. Light really is a bastard, and I want him to lose. But I want him to go down to L, not this chick. I may not like Light, but the villain fan in me couldn't helped but cheer for her to lose.

Aeon
Tue, 11-21-2006, 02:36 PM
YaY finally got around to watching ep7 and can't believe she's dead already. I was really liking her character's look and personality. Light talking to himself throughout the ep had me on edge while he was trying his hardest to figure out a way to get her name. Also is the girl in the opening running to Light at the end of it his sister?

xDarkMaster
Thu, 11-23-2006, 10:47 PM
DN 8 by Live-evil (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_08_%5BCD870ADE%5D.avi.torrent)

Yukimura
Fri, 11-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Another cool ep, getting Ryuk to help him was pretty slick and also his room entry alarm system shows just how obsessive Light is . I wonder if L will suspect anything more or if he'll be satisfied. I didn't get the feeling that he was assuming that Light was Kira and looking for evidence, which I think he should have done for all of the people if he wanted to be 100% thorough.

High Wind
Fri, 11-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Death Note, I can always count on it to bring me interesting episodes.

I lol'd at the fact that the Kira Investigation team was having ice cream while on the case. Seems to kind of offset the gravity of their work. I also thought it was amusing that apples are a Death God's vice. The idea of an entity with control over death going into withdrawal because of a lack of a fruit tickles me.

Man, this episode was great in illustrating Light's cunning. Scheduling deaths in advance as to not invite suspicion? A piece of paper to draw attention away from the actual booby trapped parts of the door? Using apples to trick the "neutral" shinigami into helping him? The whole potato chip, Mini LCD TV scheme? Never in a million years would I have thought of any of those. Man I love Death note.

Mae
Fri, 11-24-2006, 10:28 AM
It was kind of fun to see them seriously talking about a murder case while eating ice cream. Also, did you notice the chief gets three scoops? :p

By far the best part of the ep was Light eating dramatically chips with exciting music, zoom, AND bishounen sparkles. Awesome.

After his earlier recklessness it looks like Light is in defensive mode. Nicely convoluted back-up plans too. I also lol'ed at Light's father being shocked seeing him look at porn, and L being like, "Oh, that's totally normal behavior."

Ok, I found it on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h3aXa2VpHVU

BEST SCENE EVER. Seriously, though, I LMAO

Darknodin
Fri, 11-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Ep. 7 - whew, man. What an episode. Even though I have read the manga and knew what was happening, I was still blown away by the scene. I was rooting for Light the whole time, though it was enjoyable to see him start to squirm a bit, because it gives him a weak side too.I started to laugh a little (God that sounds horrible), especially when Light starts to really hook in that girl. The "I am Kira" sequence, imo, was very well executed. A great Ep. overall, I cannot wait for the next!

Just caught up so...

You started to laugh!? I was freaking cheering! I am officialy starting a Kira sect! although, I wouldn't have said that if I was him (maybe she had a fake ID card). that scene was still nice though.

Ep 8 was good, but watching it back to back with 7... it felt slower. It also shows that Kira isn't as smart as he thinks he is. At this point, L has got to know that Kira is in either of the two families, and Light is suspicious because of the fact that he foiled EVERY attempt at a reaction from L. Also, he only kills criminals after L does something these days (except those set to die in the next few weeks... this was a smart move).

Knives122
Sun, 11-26-2006, 04:00 PM

I found the op. of DN, but with a change: Potato Note (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqf9cBP1Cg)

Board of Command
Sun, 11-26-2006, 11:23 PM
I found the op. of DN, but with a change: Potato Note (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqf9cBP1Cg)
Haha! Oh that's awesome.

Deblas
Mon, 11-27-2006, 12:44 AM

Yeah, I sure hope this doesn't become a habit in the anime. This is the second time they do this. I guess the first one wasn't that bad but man, talk about over dramatic. =/

"Ahh...Tricked by the cover again!". Yeah, we've all been there Light. :(

Darknodin
Mon, 11-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I sure hope this doesn't become a habit in the anime. This is the second time they do this. I guess the first one wasn't that bad but man, talk about over dramatic. =/

"Ahh...Tricked by the cover again!". Yeah, we've all been there Light. :(

I think the dramatic thing might be a joke... at any rate, i don't mind, it advances the story and is funny as hell.

Stoopider
Mon, 11-27-2006, 09:42 AM
L is kinda. cool. He's such an oddball. Eating ice-cream. Lol.

Kraco
Mon, 11-27-2006, 10:03 AM
L is a such a peculiar character that him eating ice-cream looked perfectly natural. The fact how eagerly the regular cops also accepted and devoured it was far funnier, though.

Darth Zin
Mon, 11-27-2006, 09:18 PM
for me i think the creators intended for L to be odd, first his appearance is a sure giveaway, next the ice-cream. Sure nothing wrong with eating ice-cream... but green... ^_^ L is a very cool guy.

bagandscalpel
Mon, 11-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Sure nothing wrong with eating ice-cream... but green...

Probably greentea-flavored, gotta stay awake, after all. Still, by the looks of it, L doesn't appear to need such a thing like "sleep" to operate.

RoCk
Thu, 11-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I must say, I am enjoying this series completely. Can't wait till 9...been watching 7 and 8 constantly :P

Zati
Thu, 11-30-2006, 11:54 PM
TW just released!

Episode 9 - TW (http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP09_%5BB7529405%5D.avi.torren t)

MFauli
Fri, 12-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Great episode again ^^
Started out slow, but then...BANG!
Interesting development, but i fail to see, how itīs any good for Light, to....well, i wont spoiler anything, as seemingly none has already seen the episode.

Yukimura
Fri, 12-01-2006, 01:58 PM
@ above, it came out 7 hours before your post that's plenty of time.

Anyway, L put Light into a very interesting predicament, I know he got his resolve back but I have no idea how he plans to implement his plan to get away with killing Ryuuzaki. Chances are he'll end up taking the bait though and working on the investigation with L and his dad, so it'll be interesting to see what he says to them about the Kira murders.

Board of Command
Fri, 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Brilliant. Just Brilliant.

xDarkMaster
Fri, 12-01-2006, 03:52 PM
DN 9 by Live-eviL (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_09_%5BE373111C%5D.avi.torrent)

MFauli
Fri, 12-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Ok, then here i go:

I fail to see, how itīs any goot for Light to be close to L. He seems confident, but...he said himself, that "he got me" and that heīll instantly under suspicion if L dies. So what can he do? Well, manga reader, dont spoil me :P

bagandscalpel
Fri, 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Ok, then here i go:

I fail to see, how itīs any goot for Light to be close to L. He seems confident, but...he said himself, that "he got me" and that heīll instantly under suspicion if L dies. So what can he do? Well, manga reader, dont spoil me :P

Not a reader of the manga, so...

As to what Light can do? About the same as L, competing against each other to unearth the other's secrets.
L more or less levelled the playing field when he revealed himself.

Lucifus
Fri, 12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Hot damn was that an extremly entertaining Ep!:D L rules!:cool:

Aeon
Fri, 12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Never thought I'd see Light have an outburst like that. That was such a great scene. I'm guessing L will use his influence to be room mates with Light. The best course of action for Light now is to get L drunk at a frat party to get some info out of him.

Deadfire
Fri, 12-01-2006, 11:53 PM
L and Light are really going to go all out soon, it will be interesting to see where it turns out..

Anyone else find it alittle werid the L was taking the entrance exam? I mean why would he go though that, it doesn't look to me he really needs school all that much..

bagandscalpel
Sat, 12-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Anyone else find it alittle werid the L was taking the entrance exam? I mean why would he go though that, it doesn't look to me he really needs school all that much..

If nothing else, probably just for looks and legitimacy's sake.

masamuneehs
Sat, 12-02-2006, 09:37 AM
why have them meet? Cuz all good animes have to have head to head confrontations between the two opposing sides.

I think this is a stupid move on L's part. They're both losing leverage by coming out of hiding, and I think it's just indicative of their ages. But L has the most to lose, since he knows he's just human, while Kira obvious is something above that. Especially stupid (overconfident) on L's part, leaving himself out like that... I know I'd take alot more pains to hide my identity from Kira. As for Light, he obviously can't turn down the chance to compete, and so while L's "lure" worked, he can't know it yet until Kira either kills him (thus reveals himself).

It's mighty brave and noble and all that stuff of L, but I still think it's a stupid move.

Carnage
Sat, 12-02-2006, 11:33 AM
why have them meet? Cuz all good animes have to have head to head confrontations between the two opposing sides.

I think this is a stupid move on L's part. They're both losing leverage by coming out of hiding, and I think it's just indicative of their ages. But L has the most to lose, since he knows he's just human, while Kira obvious is something above that. Especially stupid (overconfident) on L's part, leaving himself out like that... I know I'd take alot more pains to hide my identity from Kira. As for Light, he obviously can't turn down the chance to compete, and so while L's "lure" worked, he can't know it yet until Kira either kills him (thus reveals himself).

It's mighty brave and noble and all that stuff of L, but I still think it's a stupid move.

On the contrary, I think its the best move he could have made :eek: . As they pointed out, now its so much harder to kill L because then immediately Light would be a prime suspect and his percentage chance of being Kira would rocket. Just knowing that he's L keeps light from killing him, otherwise they'll know that it was him who murdered L. Not only does it protect L, but now he's even closer to Kira and can keep a better watch. Kira can do all the investigating he wants now, but I can't see how he'll kill L. :confused:

And about the episode, I thought it was very well done. Much better than last ep. Ooh I can't wait to see whats coming up. :D

Mae
Sat, 12-02-2006, 01:34 PM
On the contrary, I think its the best move he could have made :eek: . As they pointed out, now its so much harder to kill L because then immediately Light would be a prime suspect and his percentage chance of being Kira would rocket. Just knowing that he's L keeps light from killing him, otherwise they'll know that it was him who murdered L. Not only does it protect L, but now he's even closer to Kira and can keep a better watch. Kira can do all the investigating he wants now, but I can't see how he'll kill L. :confused:

And about the episode, I thought it was very well done. Much better than last ep. Ooh I can't wait to see whats coming up. :D

I don't know. L is taking quite a risk on what is really a very remote chance (to him) that Light is Kira. He has no idea how Kira might be killing people and really nothing that could possibly link the deaths to any one person or group of people. He could have chosen pretty much any of the people investigated to approach. Why Light?

I kinda have to go with story device for getting the two together, but plausible enough that it doesn't wreck the story for me. L is frustrated that the case is going nowhere, and even though he has no concrete reason to believe Light is Kira, you can see that he still suspects (maybe more of an intuition thing, Light is just TOO perfect). He has to do something, as the case is really stalled, so he decides to do this.

Oh, and Light's insane laugh should have been more insane. It was really creepy in the manga when he just completely lost it. Also, should L have risked the life of some random pop star by taking his name? Who has the moral high ground here again?

Kraco
Sat, 12-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Also, should L have risked the life of some random pop star by taking his name? Who has the moral high ground here again?

Nothing happens to the pop star unless Light decides to try his luck and shoot in the dark. So, I would say L's action is pretty mild compared to Light's possible action.

But it has also been made quite evident L is willing and ready to bend even the law this way and that to get to his goals. But so far he hasn't actually hurt anybody, just placed a couple of people in the line of fire. But even then if something happens the whole guilt does belong to the person pulling the trigger. Well, that's what I think in this case, anyway.

RoCk
Sat, 12-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Wow...what a great episode.

Btw, before the show actually starts, does anyone have the image of Light with the devil/angel wings? the sub group normally puts a comment on this screen and the image itself is wallpaper worthy.

Or...any other bad ass Death Note wallpapers would rock :]

Knives122
Sat, 12-02-2006, 03:57 PM
What was up with the echo when L said who he was? It was like watching a Repairman episode on All that...

masamuneehs
Sat, 12-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Also, should L have risked the life of some random pop star by taking his name? Who has the moral high ground here again?

"This note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected."

so writing the pop star's name while keeping L's face in mind wouldn't work, and thus L doesn't have to worry about that. L's concluded that Kira needs the subjects true name and face to kill, so he's not risking anybody's life but his own by taking on the identity of Ryuuzaki.

DDBen
Sun, 12-03-2006, 01:14 AM
L and Light are really going to go all out soon, it will be interesting to see where it turns out..

Note right before L goes to meet Light at school he was thinking about being able to witness Kira kill some one in front of him. He clearly is making this play to attempt to see if he can make that happen.

Xrlderek
Sun, 12-03-2006, 07:06 AM
"This note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected."

so writing the pop star's name while keeping L's face in mind wouldn't work, and thus L doesn't have to worry about that. L's concluded that Kira needs the subjects true name and face to kill, so he's not risking anybody's life but his own by taking on the identity of Ryuuzaki.

Well... As Light says himself, there is a good chance that the face of Ryuga Hideki might pop up in his head while he's writing the name and be killed because of that. If that happens, L will know that Light is Kira. That's part of the trick. I think L knows that he might be risking the singers life. But he has probably already figured out that if Light is Kira, he won't be taking that chance.

Psyke
Wed, 12-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Just watched 8 & 9. Great stuff, and the part where L sat beside Light and introduced himself was brilliant.

Yukimura
Thu, 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Death Note 10 - TW (http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP10_%5B2942338A%5D.avi.torren t)
Death Note 10 - Live-eviL (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_10_%5B97986F0E%5D.avi.torrent)
Download it and watch it!

Knives122
Thu, 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Yuki, as you know you're dead to me.

But that still doesn't stop me from enjoying death note and it's over-dose of drama. Thanks for the link.(zombie guy)

complich8
Fri, 12-08-2006, 03:03 AM
most ....

dramatic ....

tennis match ....

EVER!

masamuneehs
Fri, 12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
most ....

dramatic ....

tennis match ....

EVER!

yup. easily my least favorite scene in the anime sofar. I thought the tennis analogy was pretty well done in the manga, although it's so cut and dry that it's hardly genius... I chuckled to myself for most of this scene.

but it does look like they got the flavor of Light and L's interaction dead on. I love how L's natural, unrefined style goes right against Light's calculating-every-last-detail and his focus on keeping up guises.

on another note, my friend IMed me and wanted to discuss the "hidden homoerotic undertones" between L and Light. It went something like this:

Yaoiluver!11: You see the latest Death Note episode?
Me: Yup.
Yaoiluver!11: I love how they are hinting at Light and L's hidden feelings for each other!
Me: Um... like how they want to kill each other?
Yaoiluver!11: NO! How they're obviously perfect matches for each other, the perfect matches in both brains and wits! But of course they're set in the story to be enemies. But you can plainly see how much they want to just fuck the shit out of each other. I mean, they both constantly think about each other, they're obsessed!
Me: So their rational desires to kill their enemy is actually subconscious sexual attraction?
Yaoiluver!11: Exactly!

Ah yaoi fangirls, you make my mind go numb. The search for hidden gayness in anime is a long and fanatical crusade...

Kraco
Fri, 12-08-2006, 12:49 PM
I have to say a theory like that never even visited my mind, and it would have required a lot longer interaction than that for me to come to think there could be such undertones there. While the tennis match was worth some chuckles, I think the cups of tea was interesting. There was a hidden purpose for every act, and I was glad I couldn't notice them all beforehand. That's the best trait of Death Note.

I surely don't need any yaoi stuff or even any such ideas to mar my view of this title... Damn, Busou Renkin and Inukami are already too much in their blatant outrageousness.

Aeon
Fri, 12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
The letter and tapes at the end of the ep made me think that we will be getting another Kira. That other DeathGod that decided to visit the human world prob decided to give his deathnote to someone. Something like this happening is the only way I can see the focus leaving Light.

bagandscalpel
Fri, 12-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow, wish I could derive that much pizazz from ordinary, day-to-day things like Light does...

"...and I shall eat- POTATO CHIPS."

"...and I shall play- TENNIS."

Lucifus
Fri, 12-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Thats gotta be te best ep and tennis match ever. Ownage. That homo thing between L and Light never crossed my mind and hope not a shred of its true. Now its weird when the two of em look at each other. =(

L and Light will probably be working together to find that other Death Gods Kira.(Pretty sure there'll be one)

Board of Command
Sat, 12-09-2006, 01:24 AM
I suspect that Light's father getting sick is all staged by L.

- Both are sitting there talking and suddenly both of their phones ring.
- The phones ring right when L is telling Light about the task force.
- L notifies Light about his father, thus proving that he is indeed on the task force.
- Light's father blows L's cover and even uses the name "Ryuzaki" in front of Light.
- "Ryuzaki" is only supposed to be used within the task force.
- L does not mind that Light's father just blew his cover.

The only way for this sequence of events to make sense is if the whole thing is staged.

Carnage
Sat, 12-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Lol atleast the tennis match wasn't as dramatic as the "POTATO CHIPS!".

I dont know, compared to the manga the anime seems to be going at a much faster pace. We've already gotten up to the videos for the news station. :(

Next ep looks promising. :)

Mae
Sun, 12-10-2006, 03:42 PM
The tennis match was pretty dramatic, but they were both very good tennis players, and like L said they both are childish and hate to lose. Really, it would be best for Light to just opt out of the investigation, avoid L, and keep doing his thing. It would be almost impossible to catch him. But of course he won't do that...

As for the yaoi part? Meh, it's just silliness and pornography, staples of the internet. And like there's not yuri of pretty much every popular female character. Let them have their fun, it doesn't need to bother you any.

Also this gives us some more of Light's amusing logic: "If I do this will he think I'm Kira? But if I don't maybe he'll think I'm Kira but I'm deliberately trying to throw him off the scent, which is true, so maybe I should..."

I don't know if this will show up, but here's Light's most recent chat log...

http://forums.gotwoot.net/gallery/files/4/0/2/9/dn8_original.jpg

Kraco
Fri, 12-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Let's have a closer look at the tapes...

Episode 11 - TW (http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/%5BTW%5D_Death_Note_EP11_%5BD87BEDD2%5D.avi.torren t)

Yukimura
Fri, 12-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Excellent, now we have a crazy chick with the Shinigami eyes coming out of left field...I definitely wouldn't have seen that coming... If Light plays this right he might be able to use this girl as a patsy if L gets too close.

Also we had more dramatic camera work, this time the Dance of the Two Cell Phones, very breathtaking.

Aeon
Fri, 12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Was that the same death god that left for the human world a couple eps ago or could we have the potential for a 3rd Kira? The voice of this one didn't match up to any I remember.

Kraco
Fri, 12-15-2006, 03:01 PM
There is at least one thing this fake kira realised and then calculated correctly: She doesn't have the wits to avoid getting caught in the long run, if she does anything major (like she has), so it made no difference to make the eye deal. Her estimated life span won't probably reach even that what would have otherwise been left after the deal.

Interesting plot development, though. Certainly explains how they can fill the rest of the episodes of the extra long season.

Knives122
Fri, 12-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Isn't that cute? A Fake Kira(Misa) did some crap to get Light's attention and is practically obsessed with him. But wait there's more, she has the whole "I will kill you if you don't return my feelings" mentaility. It's like the perfect love story.

Don't you just love that sort of stuff?

stratosthegreek
Fri, 12-15-2006, 07:21 PM
This episode knocked my socks off. Thoroughly got into it it again. Series is for sure a winner. Can not wait to see what happens next. That chick looks like shes waiting to pull out a huge knife and stab Light in the back when he doesn't return her calls...psycho.

xDarkMaster
Fri, 12-15-2006, 07:50 PM
DN 11 by Live-evil (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_11_%5B3DAC28F5%5D.avi.torrent)

Yet another awesome ep, the twists just keep on coming!

darkshadow
Fri, 12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
lol that cellphone scene was awesome, drama ftw XD

Psyke
Sun, 12-17-2006, 11:05 AM
How did Misa know that Light doesn't have the Shinigami eyes?

Knives122
Sun, 12-17-2006, 11:28 AM
She probably made an educated guess about Light's crusade to become a god and deducted that Light wouldn't want to make such a deal.

That or magic.

xDarkMaster
Sun, 12-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Or if she is really obsessed with him she could have figured the same thing as L, that he needs a face and a name to kill, which wouldn't make a difference if he had the eyes.

Yukimura
Sun, 12-17-2006, 12:03 PM
She probably deduced it from the way he does things. He's never done something that would require the eyes so she probably thinks that he doesn't have them.

EDIT: I guess I should refresh the page before making a post.

Psyke
Mon, 12-18-2006, 01:11 AM
I don't really think Misa's as smart as L or Light, and so I don't think she figured it her herself. I'd be impressed if she does though. Another theory is that the Shinigami know each other, and that the new shinigami knows that Ryuk did not give the eyes to Light.

Darknodin
Mon, 12-18-2006, 09:56 PM
it'd be cool if she was as smart... or close... that would make an interesting three-sided war (or more, if shinigami's decide that this is a new way to have fun)

darkmetal505
Mon, 12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Well she killed the police who were trying to enter the station. Maybe she just promotes killing in general and wanted Light's tapes to be played.

xDarkMaster
Mon, 12-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Another theory is that the Shinigami know each other, and that the new shinigami knows that Ryuk did not give the eyes to Light.

I thought they were supposed to be neutral. Even if the new shinigami knew, I doubt he would tell her as that would mean he is helping her.

Maybe she just promotes killing in general and wanted Light's tapes to be played.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they are her tapes and she just used them to get people's attention.

Darknodin
Mon, 12-18-2006, 11:09 PM
The tapes weren't Light's.... she made em

EDIT: beaten to it

masamuneehs
Tue, 12-19-2006, 01:59 AM
how fucking awesome is Chief Yagami? Heart attack, Kira just killed one of his men, how's he respond? By recklessly driving a big ass vehicle into a damn building! Jack Bauer shit right there man, hardass motherfuckin cop!

This changes everything. A second Kira, and with a power Light doesn't have (I wouldn't say Misa's more powerful, since she's obviously dumber than Light, and I think even without the Eyes he's the bigger hitter). What I liked best is how Light responds, not rushing out to meet this would-be ally, but use his new-found friendship with L to keep tabs on both. He's one hell of an evil bastard, but he's smart. It makes me enjoy watching him explain his thoughts, even though I'm hoping L catches him.

Dramatic potato chips, dramatic tennis, dramatic cell phones....

You wanna know what I think? (well, you're still reading, so guess that's a yes). I think the anime adaption is somewhat mediocre. Now before everyone jumps all over me, let me explain: I love Death Note. I enjoy watching the anime to an unhealthy extent. Top notch story, awesome characters, great context/themes, ultra-suspenseful. True, the anime is all that and, literally, a bag of chips. But you know what? All those awesome things come straight outta the manga, ditto the awesome sequencing. The anime adaption so far has done two things very well: sticking to the manga and providing good voice acting. I can't stress the second one enough, especially since the music and sfx aren't anything to write home about. Bangup job on casting.

But the actual animation? Today's well-funded anime standard. The camera angles and set ups of shots? Mediocre. The dramatic sequences? I think the potato chips speak for themselves.

am i crazy, wanting the guys who do the manga to try to improve it? I can't help but feel it though. Anime and manga are very similar, but anime has things it can do that a manga can't, things that it should be better at. Anime is essentially a more fluid, continuous presentation of a manga, but using a second sensory input, sound. So I'm willing to let the stellar job of the VAs take the second category, but the guys doing the first, I'm just not feeling it.

oh, and goth chicks must die. Especially the hot ones who ruin themselves by turning goth.

Mae
Sat, 12-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I've said before that this would be a hard story to animate. A lot of the tension is centered around deception and scheming rather than fights with giant mechs. Lots of dialogue, lots of inner monologues. They do work hard to try to make it seem dramatic, but I think they sometimes overshoot and it just gets silly (like the chip scene). I would agree, however, that the chief's scene kicked ass.

oh, and goth chicks must die. Especially the hot ones who ruin themselves by turning goth.

Oh, fuck you. I was goth for about 2 years because I thought it would be fun. And it was. A lot of fun, actually. Not every chick wants to be a pretty, pretty princess and dress and act only to get others' approval.

darkshadow
Sun, 12-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh so now, chicks are either goth, or pretty pretty princesses ? :P

Board of Command
Sun, 12-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I wish it was that easy.

yallo
Sun, 12-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Is Misa's outfit considered Goth? Hmm...

Anyway, I don't think the introduction of Misa will turn this into a three-way battle, mainly because she doesn't seem that smart to me. Sending those video tapes to Sakura TV is a huge and foolish risk. It's like practically giving the investigation team a throve of potential clues to work on. The envelopes, stamps, writing, tapes, voices etc etc... I just feel that it's an unnecessary move. Especially killing off those cops. What good can it do? It sounded like her main motive was to grab the attention of Kira, and you don't need to air the entire tape to achieve that.

If I were Kira, I'd be extremely annoyed, not to mention worried (just like Light mentioned), since she might turn out to be a huge weak link that can become fatal. If she gets caught, it's basically game over for Light. They'll know everything about the Death Note and it'll be only a matter of time before L finds a way to pin it on Light.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Oh, fuck you. I was goth for about 2 years because I thought it would be fun. And it was. A lot of fun, actually. Not every chick wants to be a pretty, pretty princess and dress and act only to get others' approval.So instead you dressed like an extra in a Tim Burton movie to get the approval of a bunch of people dressed the same way.

Good job. You're a rebel.

David75
Thu, 12-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Watched all 11 episodes in a row till late in the night yesterday eve.

I have to admitt it's totally out of what I would like... but it's quite "catchy", or I wouldn't have been able to watch it in a row like that.

In fact my main concern is that I have to be on the side of the evil one... cause Light is a really bad guy and smart ass... He proved that the second he tried to kill L, even though this was a trap...

That very same scene also proved L is not justice either. I think that idea is fine too...

Although Light is portrayed as a very deep vilain, L is not the very pure arm of justice... they even pointed out that Light and L were pretty much the same. Starting with the inital they use... L and Light.

I never read the manga, but I wonder if L will use Light... to erase some bad guys.

What I dislike is Ryuk, totally useless and no interrest in the drawing, his companions: same verdict.

So we'll see what happens next, I do hope Penbar's fiancee is not dead after all, becausse this is the worst act of felony Light did... that may explain why ryukwas so happy, when he saw her lifespan for example...

c u

Psyke
Thu, 12-28-2006, 08:19 AM
I think Ryuk was laughing because of how evil he realises that Light is. As for Naomi surviving, the chances are extremely low unless she some how manages to break the system. The rule still stands..... if your name is written on the death note, you die. In her case it's 2 days later, but inevitably, she's most probably going to die (or rather dead now).

masamuneehs
Thu, 12-28-2006, 01:34 PM
As for Naomi surviving, the chances are extremely low unless she some how manages to break the system. The rule still stands..... if your name is written on the death note, you die. In her case it's 2 days later, but inevitably, she's most probably going to die (or rather dead now).
Actually there's another way a person can avoid dying when their name has been properly written in the Note. It's not in the "official rules" written by Ryuk, but I've seen it in some of the eye-catches. It goes along the lines of:

"The person whose name is written cannot kill another person".

Now this is vague, but it leaves lots of "holes" for people to slip through. Light can't have Matsuda or someone else take a gun and kill L, that's obvious. But if Matsuda is flying a plane, and Light tries to kill him with the Note, and that plane will then crash (assume Matsuda is the only person able to pilot it), does Matsuda die?

That is not so clear-cut. But it seems that Light can only kill ONE person at a time with the Note, the person whose name is written.

What does this have to do with Naomi? Well, she was supposed to go and kill herself, according to the Note. "Then she's dead!" you'd think.... unless... unless her suicide somehow involved taking a "life"... How does a person taking her own life kill someone else? See what I'm going at?

it's a slim, slim, slim chance. And I might be barking up a totally wrong tree... but it would be fucking awesome twist.

and I never trust someone's dead in an anime until I see the dead body.

David75
Thu, 12-28-2006, 02:05 PM
and I never trust someone's dead in an anime until I see the dead body.
My exact thought... and even when they're dead sometimes :rolleyes: but I hope we're not in such a poor anime (were people get to relive when it's handy, like say... DBZ :D )

Manga references removed. You can discuss things from the manga in the manga section, but if it hasn't happened in the anime yet, it's considered spoiling.
m
C u

Yukimura
Thu, 12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
@Masa: I've been thinking along that same line all day and I finally came home to post my thoughts and apparently you we're having them as well.

When I saw Psyke's post about Naomi somehow I started thinking about how this show might handle unborn children. If Naomi was pregnant when Light wrote her name in...or decided to commit suicide by being fucked to death (unlikely but who knows..,) then maybe she wouldn't die b/c it would kill the baby. Then I thought, Hey, babys usually don't have names until they're born so how the Note shouldn't see them as living people and thus they don't matter. But it is possible (and terrifying) that some sort of baby loophole might bring Naomi back. If Light is to go down I don't want it to be because of some stupid loophole I want it to be because he was outsmarted by L or something.

masamuneehs
Fri, 12-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Live-Evil_ Death Note_ episode12 (http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5BLive-evil%5D_Death_Note_12_%5B8F9A53FE%5D.avi.torrent)

i was just wondering... Some people name their kids before they come out of the womb. Besides, not knowing the name isn't the same as not having one. Honestly I have no clue how/if the story will deal with that loophole... but it'd be a nasty one

Psyke
Fri, 12-29-2006, 11:27 AM
"The person whose name is written cannot kill another person".

Not necessary true, I agree. I'm taking some reference to the movie, but no spoilers as the first movie ends off at the meeting between L and Light, and I've yet to see the second movie.

In the movie, Light used this method: on 1 page, he wrote the name of a certain individual, and that this person would use a gun to shoot down another, and then commit suicide using the same gun. On another page, he wrote down another name, and that this person would die from a gun shot at the same place as the first person. Obviously, these were 2 separate names on 2 separate pages, but as Light explained to Ryuk, everything will go according to his plan as the chances of 2 persons holding onto a gun at the same place is extremely small, and that it would be "arranged" that these 2 will meet. Hope I've explained this well.

What does this have to do with Naomi? Well, she was supposed to go and kill herself, according to the Note. "Then she's dead!" you'd think.... unless... unless her suicide somehow involved taking a "life"... How does a person taking her own life kill someone else? See what I'm going at?

I'm sorry but I don't really understand.... if the note states that she's going to commit suicide, then any other deaths along the way will not be the doing of the death note, right? End of the day, she will still take her own life, and that the rules of the death note will still stand, right?

But your point about the plane did made me ponder...... I guess all the other passengers will die along with the pilot, in order to fulfill the rules. But, that's not really killing, just involving other innocent people in the process. It's also hard to imagine what is the extend of the deathnote and its manipulative powers. Can it control what Naomi will do in the 2 days before she dies? If so, Light can just put the date of death as far as a week and control anyone he likes..... I'm sure that there is a way round this, perhaps with the 6 min 40 seconds limit imposed on the user. Not too sure, but I try to avoid thinking about everything, as after all this is still an anime. :D

David75
Fri, 12-29-2006, 01:28 PM
It seems that it's possible to forecast a death very far in the future.

Light did. He prepared 3 weeks of "work", just in case he is in an hospital and can't write... so that there's no pause in death at the same time.

Regarding the rule that someone with their name on the DN cannot kill, I agree it would make it impossible for a suicide to involve other death at the same time.
So one cannot commit suicide in crashing a plane...
So Naomi didn't choose such a solution. My guess is that she's only a handy piece of story line the scenarists kept available... which doesn't mean they will use it, nor they won't :D

David75
Fri, 12-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Please do not double post.
Verbal Warning.
masamuneehs

Second message different ideas.

Spoilers

Well the last ep showed us more:
max 19 days for death "forecasting"

the "Jealous" Death God Death, that could let us think Misa didn't really lost lifespan when getting the eyes, as she should already be dead. Plus we do not know how much Jealous had, that could be a lot...

A question would be for the eyes, does Rem still has them? I was wondering, since his are not red anymore... So does a DG lends their eyes for the time the human who gets them lives, and get these eyes back at the death of this human... Or do they keep them also?

/Spoilers

Well, this series got me hooked, it should have been something I would'nt have liked if it hadn't been so well depicted in this thread.

c u

zibo
Fri, 12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
The ending was awesome when Kira and Misa we're sitting near each other in that coffee shop and thinking what kind of person each other is. Pretty cool.

Mae
Fri, 12-29-2006, 09:48 PM
So, more maneuvering by L's team and Kira dodges their trap but doesn't really gain any ground. And Misa appears. I like how they portray her as kind of cheerfully amoral. She wants to meet Kira and she doesn't care if someone has to die to make it happen. And after finding out about the shinigami who died she's just happy she has some information Kira can use. Rem looks adequately creepy, and her VA is ok.

David75
Sat, 12-30-2006, 04:55 AM
So, more maneuvering by L's team and Kira dodges their trap but doesn't really gain any ground. And Misa appears. I like how they portray her as kind of cheerfully amoral. She wants to meet Kira and she doesn't care if someone has to die to make it happen. And after finding out about the shinigami who died she's just happy she has some information Kira can use. Rem looks adequately creepy, and her VA is ok.

Well at least Misa is very different from Light, because she should be dead.
In a way, we can think she has changed from the moment she should have been dead.

Very different from Light, who to our knowledge has only been changed due to the power he got from the DN.

And regarding Misa's dumbness, no one tells us for how long she has had the DN.

I'm always careful of people dumb on the surface, that proved they travelled a long time with no problems on very dangerous roads....

c u

Aeon
Sat, 12-30-2006, 10:43 AM
OK so yea after this ep I officially like Misa. Her reaction to finding out her life was saved by Jealous made me a fan. I'm interested in seeing how Light is gonna handle her though, she's giving out way too much information.

David75
Sat, 12-30-2006, 10:54 AM
OK so yea after this ep I officially like Misa. Her reaction to finding out her life was saved by Jealous made me a fan. I'm interested in seeing how Light is gonna handle her though, she's giving out way too much information.

I wonder if it's a problem.

Befor Light decided to mass kill "villains", no one had decided to investigate "abnormal" deaths.
In that, I think Light is far dumber than Misa.
For the moment, we don't know for how long Misa had her DN and if she has a high rate of killings with it... at a level comparable to Light.

If she is using her DN a lot, and has been doing for a time comparable to Light, or even more, I would consider she is better than Light... which would not mean she would win against the main character.

c u

Carnage
Sun, 12-31-2006, 07:48 PM
I hate Misa...She follows Kira blindly and doesnt know what she's doing.She's a complete retard for bringing up the eyes message. Models these days :p

Was an interesting episode though, but I hope we get to see an episodeas good as 11 real quick.

isso
Sun, 01-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I hate Misa...She follows Kira blindly and doesnt know what she's doing.She's a complete retard for bringing up the eyes message. Models these days :p

Was an interesting episode though, but I hope we get to see an episodeas good as 11 real quick.

I agree, long since I wrote anything here at GW, but there's been no reason for any "excitment" in visit these forums as Naruto is today, and the lack of shows like Full metal panic, Gundam etc etc..:confused:

UNTIL, I found this thread that opened up a new world for me, a world of "Death note's" and Shinigamis.. :D

This is the best show in many many months!:cool:

Oh, I just can't wait for the next episode to come, isn't it time for epi. 13 to be realeased?;)

Psyke
Sun, 01-07-2007, 09:28 AM
I guess there's no episode this week..... again. :(

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
=( No Deathnote yet?

Deadfire
Wed, 01-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Well the next ep "Confession" is aired today, so the wait shouldn't be long

rgrintz
Wed, 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Live-evil dropped the series because it's been licensed by viz media. Here's the article:

http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=915

NeoBear
Wed, 01-10-2007, 09:34 PM
ouch they are the ones i have been archiveing too =/

Yukimura
Thu, 01-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Toriyama World also dropped (Their translator apparently works for Viz...go figure). For now Animanda seems intent on continuing but I think they said they'd bow to a C&D.

I'm quite interested in how this online distribution thing will work. complich8 offered a theory that Viz might try to partner with Apple and use iTunes video to distribute the releases. Since i'm far to cheap to ever pay for non interactive entertainment I don't particularly care what medium is used but the idea is novel enough to counter some of the dismay that i'll have to wait for Animanda's subs now.

Zati
Thu, 01-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Yes so far I have only been dling and waiting for Animanda releases since I read the manga and Animanda take their time to release the best quality. I hope Animanda keeps continuing since they take their time to release it and really do a great job with it.

MFauli
Thu, 01-11-2007, 07:51 AM
so, jszt to be sure:

No more Death Note-anime downloading?

.*dies*

Psyke
Thu, 01-11-2007, 11:31 AM
*off to download raw for episode 13*

Guess I'm gonna go with the manga in the mean time..... not too much of spoiling anything as I've seen the second movie recently too.....

FrogKing
Thu, 01-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I think that this is a perfect chance for Proxy-Fansubs to step up and rescue the fans of Death Note that have been thrust into darkness...Please help someone! Must...find...a...fansub...for...Death Note...I guess I am with Psyke and gonna have to turn to the manga in the mean time. I hope someone picks up the series.

(And no, i am not a t/l and don't know of one for anime so keep looking P-F)

Deadfire
Thu, 01-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I think that this is a perfect chance for Proxy-Fansubs to step up and rescue the fans of Death Note that have been thrust into darkness...Please help someone! Must...find...a...fansub...for...Death Note...I guess I am with Psyke and gonna have to turn to the manga in the mean time. I hope someone picks up the series.

(And no, i am not a t/l and don't know of one for anime so keep looking P-F)

Find us a T/l and we will indeed!

FrogKing
Thu, 01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Find us a T/l and we will indeed!

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I am not working for you guys. I would hope that you can land a t/l and all will be well in the world!

David75
Thu, 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM
AonE not interrested in this series ? :D ;)

xDarkMaster
Thu, 01-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I hope Animanda continues, they have pretty good quality. Well, someone needs to do it.

Aeon
Thu, 01-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Crap, I've only been following the TW subs. Guessing Animanda is the 2nd best?

Foomanchew24
Fri, 01-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Aw crap, didn't know it was dropped, surely some super sub group will come to the rescue. If not I guess I will hit up the manga for more greatness. Please someone pick up this great series. :(

Zati
Fri, 01-12-2007, 03:41 AM
Since Animanda will continue subbing DN, for anyone that wants to you can post a thanks to them here :

Animanda Thank You Thread (http://animanda.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=75)

It also says they will respect other groups decision but they will be continuing DN on their IRC channel topic.

Carnage
Fri, 01-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Crap, I've only been following the TW subs. Guessing Animanda is the 2nd best?

Their quality is the best. Im not sure if the translation is better than TW, but they're definatly good overall.

isso
Fri, 01-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Animanda just saved my day, I love DN!!!

BioAlien
Fri, 01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
My brain imploded when i saw the news of death note being licensed...

So is Animanda any good? Are they "fast" to release new episode everyweeks?

Also... where can i get the manga of Death Note?

hitokiriender
Fri, 01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I was bored at work today...

CAUTION: May contain plot elements not yet covered in the anime!! (omg, ya think?) You've been warned.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G0G2DHGA --- Full Death Note Manga (zipped)

masamuneehs
Fri, 01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
there's an entire section of the forums for manga... not to mention Mangatraders... but, well, since Bioalien did sorta request it...

just remember: no discussion of the manga here, thank you. Also, spoiling makes your penis shrink.

and, well I'm bummed by Live-Evil dropping this show, but from what I'm hearing this Animanda group isn't too shabby. I'm just glad someone's still working this show.

MFauli
Fri, 01-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Ah, just watched episode 13...luckily, my Japanese is no too bad ^^
Great episode, though i hope ep14 will be better.

Munsu
Fri, 01-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Some wierd decision making by VIZ regarding how they'll distribute the series. Best to read the article yourself:
http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/9891.html

hitokiriender
Fri, 01-12-2007, 08:38 PM
there's an entire section of the forums for manga... not to mention Mangatraders... but, well, since Bioalien did sorta request it...

just remember: no discussion of the manga here, thank you. Also, spoiling makes your penis shrink.

lol wanna hear the funny thing? I haven't read the Death Note manga yet. I just have it on my comp for when the series ends THEN I will read the manga. So obviously so spoilers from me :)

isso
Sat, 01-13-2007, 05:54 AM
I think Animanda had released only 8 eps this far, but they are worth waiting for since I don't understand japanese..

Oh god plz give me more DN!

Kraco
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:00 AM
The latest Animanda is #12, so they aren't really that far behind anymore...

darkmetal505
Sat, 01-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Death Note 13 is out by KUBU subs:
http://deathnote7.com/

Don't know how good they are