Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The way we write

RE: The way we write

and not everyone's first language is english. english is my third language so i find myself pritty good that i can keep up with the most of u.

Having English as a second or third language does not excuse you from typing like a fucking idiot. Replacing words with numbers (ie. 2 = to or too), using 'u' instead of 'you', or anything trivial like that is nothing but laziness and asking for people to look at you as a 13 year old moron. I don't really give a shit about grammar because as I said, English is a second or a third language for some people and it sometimes gets tricky. But If you're not sure on how a word is spelled go to dictionary.com and look it up.
    www.rolleyes.net/

Financial aspect of my life is revealed.

Originally posted by: Mut@t@
    Having English as a second or third language does not excuse you from typing like a fucking idiot. Replacing words with numbers (ie. 2 = to or too), using 'u' instead of 'you', or anything trivial like that is nothing but laziness and asking for people to look at you as a 13 year old moron. I don't really give a shit about grammar because as I said, English is a second or a third language for some people and it sometimes gets tricky. But If you're not sure on how a word is spelled go to dictionary.com and look it up.
    yep ure right i am laizy. but why doing all the fuzz?? u do understand me so why should i even bother to go to a site just when i don't know how to spel something?? and i have just became 17 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Nice topic. I also think it's pretty interesting looking at the ways different people try to communicate with each other. I think one of the major difficulties is that posting in a forum like this is more like having a casual conversation with someone rather than formal letter-writing or prose. I write like I would speak, using slang, sentence fragments, and occasional profanity.

One of the things I've noticed since I started posting online is how much of a conversation is either nonverbal (facial expression, hand gestures, posture) or communicated with the tone of someone's voice. If Kitkat makes a point, and I say "right" I could be agreeing with her, being sarcastic, or even be angry. If she can't see or hear me, she can't tell. There is a lot of room for misinterpretation in online posting, and I've been surprised in the past with PM's taking seriously things I did not mean seriously at all (I'm usually NOT serious, if you can't tell).

It's also interesting to see how people try to add back in the information lost by taking out tone of voice and nonverbal cues, like emoticons ("right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]" vs "right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]"), ALL CAPS for emphasis or shouting, intentionally misspelling a word (fear vs phear). l33t sp34k, multiple punctuation marks!!11!1one!!!, or dots for pauses or trailing off...., and abbreviations, lol. I think LOL is one of the most interesting abbreviations because it doesn't actually mean the person typing it is laughing out loud but instead relays what would otherwise be communicated with a smile or a nod in face to face speech.

Anyway, I get the feeling that this type of communication is still in evolution. People are trying things and some work (emoticons, lol, the caps convention) and so are widely adapted. Some are evolutionary dead ends (l33t, I hope). We'll have to see how it will turn out.

well i dont know if anybody has noticed but i have been typing "normally" and mut i dont find it that hard, sure it takes maybe a second longer for my fingers to type but all i'll say about the way i used to type was its how my fingers flowed. when typing the word was, my finger instead of going to the "as" went to the "uz" as a habit of doing it over and over again. KitKat made a good point about how on the internet the text you type is the impression you give on others and i completely agree.

so why are we still aruging about thsi here? its because for some reason there are still people who insist on typing the way they do and i dont really care about that, but some others might (for reasons i'm not sure of)

Mae, i agree with some of the things you've said like the intentionally mispelling stuff but, i think if a person wants to say "lol" they should just say it. it is used so often, unless ur telling me that by saying "lol" i have suddenly given you a bad impression that i do not wish to write "laugh-out-loud" or "hahahaha" instead.

--mut if you call using abbreviations laziness too, i am not really sure what it is you expect from people while communicating on an online fourm. and mae what you said about abbreviations, u do know that "vs" is an abbreviation too right? so now your contridicting yourself with your own text which allows me to prove that there is nothing wrong with saying something like "lol" or "jk"

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

Heh, Chaoskiddo, I think you misunderstood what Mae was saying. She's not condemning the use of any of these abbreviations or expressions, merely observing that they often serve as a replacement for visual and verbal cues that would normally be present in a face-to-face conversation.

I agree with her that online communication is still in a state of evolution. All languages are always in a state of flux, continually changing, but this is even more true for new emerging communication systems. On a side note, there's a pretty interesting article I read this week related to this issue here.

oh if that is what Mae is saying then i really did misunderstand and i apologize

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

It's not about using or not using acronyms, it's about which ones you use, not that anyone cares as long as it's commonly known. Problems occur when people start using new acronyms they pull outta there asses, and people have to sit there trying to figure out this new 10-letter acronym.

Another problem is the people using slang/local dialect in a multinational enviroment.

I hate it when people don't use paragraphs. Not really a problem in short posts but it makes reading long posts very daunting.

I have to admit im not really very good at using punctuation but i always try to ensure my posts are legible.

How much do i suck with photoshop?

was The Next Hokage

It all comes down to how considerate you are of others, because you're not writing for yourself, you're writing for other people to read.

More considerate = more legible = mission accomplished. All there is too it.

With slang though, it's totally differen I think, I tend to think that they would know what the actual word means, and they're like "What's that?" then I tell them the meaning and they're like OK.

I don't find anything wrong with the mainstream acronyms as BoC said, they are pretty commonly used and most people would know, but with one's that aren't used regularly or you've never heard before, it's a little different, and I don't like them being used.

The way we write

Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
    i dont think that how you write online has anything to do with intelligence, for me you shouldent be judging if someone is intelligent or not at all, until you have met them. could i have just written that with correct grammar, of course i could have, but i choose not to, it has nothing to do with intelligence. for me i would rather put my efforts into a paper in my english class worth 60% of my grade and try to pass all my ap tests.
    EDIT: also what really pisses me off is people who think theyre better than others because they take a quarter second more time and press shift now an then. btw i have a 206 iq and skipped the 3rd grade, so no, im not dumb, i just dont like the shift button
    If you're such a prodigy sent to us by God, then you should know that peoples' minds behave differently than that. Every time you meet someone, you establish a first impression within the first couple of seconds. It's something we do subconsciously. You can't TELL people how they should behave, because much of behavior is psychological. Whether you like it or not, the better dresser, the brighter smile, and the guy with the greater aura of charm around him will have a higher potential in the infrastructure of society than you regardless of how much smarter you may be.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

The way we write

btw i have a 206 iq ]
    No, you don't.

The way we write

btw i have a 206 iq ]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

Some writers say that scores outside the range 55 to 145 must be cautiously interpreted because there have not been enough people tested in those ranges to make statistically sound statements. Moreover, at such extreme values, the normal distribution is a less accurate estimate of the IQ distribution.

I don't think anyone on Earth has an IQ of 206

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Now, you and I both know that IQ doesn't mean a damned thing. Let's go back on topic a little bit. Here, I'll start.

I'd like to point out that everyone has his own mode of communication. If KitKat types in perfect, grammatically correct sentences, that's great, unambiguous, and makes the reading that much easier. If -Sharingan-Kakashi- refuses to touch the shift key for fear it'll twist his hands out of shape, that's fine too.

There's mechanics and there's semantics. You can deviate from the basic mechanics of the language (within tolerances) without terribly impacting the semantics -- that is, without burying your signal in the noise. The problem arises when people forget that as you deviate more from a basic grammatical structure, you make your communication harder to parse. Regardless of your level of intelligence, or how other people perceive you, it simply takes more effort to figure out what the hell you're talking about.

Of course, sometimes it ends up being the same thing in the other direction. Sometimes if you stick to mechanical precision you lose meaning by closing off "incorrect" devices.

The important things in the whole of communication are clarity and balance. If you're in such a hurry to cram your hundred or so characters into the reply box and hit enter that you can't stop to reread what you just wrote and ask yourself "will someone else understand what the fuck I'm saying", you probably aren't saying anything valuable anyway.

And realizing that we're all cognitively lazy, if you see something that just jumps out at you as unparseable, you're not going to bother! Even if you've got the meaning of life encapsulated in a thousand words or less, if you're not using basic tools to make that readable (paragraph breaks, decipherable spellings, some sort of followable narrative flow), I'm not going to bother reading it. Why? Because it's way too much effort for something that's probably not worth it.

My philosophy is to type like I speak. That means, if I would normally pause at some point in a sentence, I indicate that somehow -- with ellipses, commas, dashes, whatever. If I'm going to make a side comment, I break it out with either dashes or parentheses. Why? Because it makes it easier for you to sort of "hear" what I'm saying. By expressing my nonverbal cues typographically, I can get my meaning across more precisely. And that's really what it's all about. But if you achieve the goal without perfect syntax, that's perfectly fine too.

The way we write

Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
    I don't think anyone on Earth has an IQ of 206
    worlds highest mensa certified IQ is held by Sho Yano

Sho Yano (born c. 1991, Portland, Oregon) is a Japanese American and Korean American boy who at the age of 12 held the title of world's highest recorded IQ with a figure so high that it was unmeasurable. He reportedly played Chopin on the piano at age 3. After scoring 1500 on the SAT at age 8, he entered Loyola University at age 9, graduating magna cum laude at age 12, and now attends the Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago on a full scholarship.

Many kids skip a grade. SHO YANO has skipped about 10! The 12-year-old is studying to be a doctor. He's the youngest student ever to go to the University of Chicago Medical School, in Illinois. His classmates, who are much older, treat him "like a little brother," he explains. Sho graduated from college last year. He says his smarts are no big deal. Like other kids, he loves to read and play piano. "Some friends treat me like a walking dictionary," Sho says, "but I'm just a regular kid."

the previous highest iq before him was 228 and was held by Marilyn vos Savant

How much do i suck with photoshop?

was The Next Hokage

vos Savant's adjusted IQ is 180 anyway, and this guy is off the scale.

Wow that's amazing. The kid must see the world in a whole different way than us.