Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30 Second Anime Review

30 Second Anime Review

Key the Metal Idol

This is a really wierd one. Lots of gore, and a fairly good story to back it up. It's about this robot named Key, whose master just died, possibly murdered. One thing she learned from him was that she had to make 30,000 friends in order to become human. In the meantime, an organization is after her because she can possibly be the most powerful weapon out there. If you want a serious anime, with a decent plot that makes you think, and some gore... This is the way to go.

Key the Metal Idol by a4e

30 Second Anime Review

Susuka- This series is awesome beyond belief. It focuses around a freshman by the name of Akitsuki who comes to Tokyo from his home in Hiro Shima. He comes to live in a bath house that would usually have all girls. But don't be fooled it's not a Love Hina rip-off, it's better! Akitsuki develops a crush on a girl named Asahina Suzuka. And it is just this GREAT drama with excellent romance and can be very funny at times. Definitely go see it now! you will fall in love with it!

http://a.scarywater.net/lunar/

30 Second Anime Review

Full Metal Alchemist: Anime based on alchemy, a scientific process by which even lead can be transformed into gold. The two main characters Edward and Alfonse are brothers living in a peaceful town. Their childhood is as normal as any other till one day their mother dies. Unable to bear this fact They try experimenting with human alchemy, the only forbiden alchemy, and end up losing parts of themselves. To reverse their actions they go on a journey to discover the misteries of alchemy and to search for the only object that can help them... An entriguing story full of fun, tenderness, action, sadness and tragedy, a mixture of life itself.

30 Second Anime Review

Hunter x Hunter: A shounen Anime and one of the unlicensed gems, even though the manga is being translated in the US. As the protagonist, a preteen by the name of Gon, searches for his father, of the most famous "Hunters" in the world, he meets and joins up with three good friends with their own quirks and secrets. As he struggles to become a Hunter and deal with the Hunter's world, he meets many challenges and a villain named Hisoka, who's true power may never be known. The sejyuu were very well casted, even though most of them are female for the male parts, and the storyline grips you without choking you. Not too fast paced, but not too slow either. The music helps out a lot for the feeling in the story. The animation quality improves with each OVA, and even though the story isn't complete it is still worthwhile to watch. Also try to watch the fansubbed musicals, they may have been low budget but they're still funny.

Last Exile: What can I say? Gonzo Digimation's 10th aniversary series, and they went all out on the graphics, making a seamless visual masterpiece in both two and three dimensions. Take WWI weaponry, chivalry, and antigravity, set to liquify, and pour into an hourglass, and that's what you get for the world of Last Exile. The Vanship Pilot Claus and his navigator and childhood friend Lavi make a living delivering messages to people all across the world, until they come across a mysterious and adorable little girl named Alvis.... Though the story revolves around Claus and Lavi, there are plenty of other side characters and miniature stories inside. The music is also very good, and gives a Celtic feel even though some of it is electronic. Quite honestly, this is a must see for anyone, and a must have for true fans of anime. Though some things are left unexplained it leaves you feeling fascinated in this alternate world.

Xenosaga: The Animation: For those that have never played the game you will be thoroughly confused, as this goes too fast and is full of plot holes. Based on the PS2 game, Xenosaga 1, it was basically made for the animation, and to rehash what happened in the first episode of the game for the release of the second, and also to introduce the new character models for the artists that took over when the original team walked off the job. The CG animation is pure beauty that reminds me a lot of the graphics engine for Firefly. The music doesn't help the situations at all, and I was honestly bored with it after 6 episodes, but I kept going just for the animation. That alone is worth it.

30 Second Anime Review

Kurau Phantom Memory

Now this is an awesome series, it's on my top 5 all time. It is close to being my favorite all time. It's about a little girl that gets into an accident with her dad's experiment. The accident caused a new type of energy, which is an entity also, to take over her body and memories, and at the same time gains supernatural powers. As the new energy takes over her body, her consciousness goes into a deep sleep. Ten years later, she's living as an agent, and it is now when a powerful organization goes after her. This series is full of great action, awesome music, and great drama.

I recommend downloading the Sora version, but it's practically impossible to find unless you use emule, here's a link for AnimeYuki's version, though Sora's version was much better.

http://isohunt.com/download.php?mode=bt&id=4184380

http://forums.gotwoot.net/mess...1017&enterthread=y = Discussion Thread

30 Second Anime Review

Legend of Galactic Heroes

This is the longest running OVA out there. Around 10 years in the making, 110 episodes released. It's a sci-fi series like the likes of Crest of the Stars. Main plot of the series is two differrent powers controling two sides of the Universe. One follows a democratic rule, while the other is an Empire. Both sides have their heroes, both of whom you will sympathyze and like. Sometimes you don't even know who to root for. Lots of strategic warfare, politics, conspiracies, murders, battles, betrayals, and a bit of romance if you can call it that. It's an amazing story, I doubt you'll regret it. You'll basically see everything here, even gore when you don't expect it, it really comes out of nowhere. Anyways, for more info on this series you should read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...of_the_Galactic_Heroes

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/ <--- To download the series, up to episode 58 released.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/mess...5494&enterthread=y = Discussion Thread

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

30 Second Anime Review

Originally posted by: Budweineken
    Legend of Galactic Heroes
    Yes, the Legend!

Ah, 30 seconds. Go!

This show is really cool. The number one aspect I like the best about this show is that the writing is INCREDIBLE! I find that all the characters (despite being animatedly a little too similairly) have vastly different personalities and this shows in their manner of speaking and the things they talk about.

The way this show treats the subject of war and humanity makes Gundam look light and goofy (especially the more recent ones). This show carefully explores all aspects of war: politics, strategy, position, morale, deciept, alliances, spying.

You might be turned off by the 1st episode (I was) and I really didn't start getting attached to this show until around episode 8, but like Bud said above THIS SHOW IS OVER 100 EPISODES LONG! It really heats up around 16 and up.

EDIT: Some really kick ass characters. Oberstein's eyes will rule you! (if they dont run out of batteries...)

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

30 Second Anime Review

Paranoia Agent

The story is set in modern day Tokyo. On the surface, this is a mystery story revolving around the identity of a mysterious attacker called the Shounen Bat, who goes around attacking people with a baseball bat. Two detectives set out to solve the biazzare cases and the story takes the most unexpected twist from there. An extremely deep and twisted anime that will leave you going "What the---" after you've finished all 13 episodes of it. I watched the version subbed by Anime-Kraze and at the end of the last episode, they left this message: "Please take care of what remains of your sanity." Guess this is a good indication of what you'll be getting yourself into if you ever try this anime. *grinz* Highly recommended.

30 Second Anime Review

Sounds interesting. I remember watching the first episode quite some time back, but never really did got to follow it up. I'm gonna go download it now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Edit: I've just finished watching the entire series. I thought the first 2 episodes were brilliant, and instantly got me hooked. However, the series seemed to go downhill from there on. I didn't like the fantasy aspects of the show, and would have preferred it if more emphasis was put on the psychological dealings of Shonen Bat. Still a interesting show, nevertheless.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

30 Second Anime Review

Boogiepop Phantom (12 episodes)

One of the most innovative and thought-provoking animes out there. However, this show isn't for everyone. It's dark, fucked up, and extremely complex. The external plot of the story is about the unusal events ocurring in a Japanese city: a mysterious light shooting into the sky, suicides, brutal serial killings, and disappearances said to be caused by the "Angel of Death," Boogiepop. Boogiepop Phantom is a profound anime, but it'll require extra effort for you to really understand it.

Boogiepop Phantom by Vision-Anime

Now and Then, Here and There (13 episodes)

Don't let the first episode fool you; this isn't fun and kiddie. It's dark, grim, and often depressing. Unlike most serious sci-fi anime though, the plot is straightforward and easy to understand. It follows a naively innocent boy who gets teleported to another world while trying to rescue a mysterious girl. He soon finds out just how hellish the world he ends up in really is. What makes the series stand out is that it doesn't hesitate to display the hellishness. If you can handle that, the simple yet compelling storyline makes it easy for anyone to enjoy this show.

Now and Then, Here and There by KickAssAnime

30 Second Anime Review

hmm great thread idea im dling 4 seasons of shows due to recomendations in this thread =P. Now, on to my small contribution.

Mahoromatic: Awsome anime. It has an interesting and moving plot that always made me want to watch more. Its about a military robot in the form of a women who leaves service to enjoy her last days as shes going to run out of juice soon. She decides to take up residence with a young boy and some pretty funny scenes ensue. For genre its a romantic comedy with some action thrown in as well. It has interesting, if not original, characters and in my opinion as i stated before a great anime. The only real thing i disliked about it was that at the very end of each episode they had a countdown to when she shut down which was a bit of a downer to me.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Kyou Kara Maou

Bishounen lovers eat your heart out! This is the story of Yuuri, an ordingary boy who loves baseball and often gets babied by his mom. One day he finds himself in a strange world where it is revealed to him that he is to be the next Maou, a king of demons. Yuuri has four assistants who all serve him and hope to mould him into a good ruler.

Obviously this is a pretty re-hashed concept, but what makes KKM entertaining is that rather than dancing around the implied yaoi/shounen-ai concept it takes it by the throat. KKM is full of homosexual innuendo. But don't think for a second that this is some sappy romance. On the contrary, KKM pokes fun at itself, at all yaoi-catering anime, by not trying to cover any of the cliches it uses (even exaggerating them) and making fun of both stock bishounen characters and the fangirls that obsess over them.

That being said, this show is very light on action and the concept gets a little played out after awhile. Serious parts of the show often fall flat on their faces and the characters stick to their exaggerated personas too much (IMO). That being said, the second season has been much better so far.

edit - the second season is actually very good. the plot gets much more suspenseful and there's some simply awesome scenes in there. still lots of comedy though

It's good for a laugh, but understandably doesn't suit everyone's taste. However this is a must see for any one-time (or current) yaoi/yuri fan out there.

Masa's Score:
    Concept: 8/10
    Execution: 4/10
    Animation: 7.5/10 (sometimes incredible, other times noticeably mediocre. Bonus for excellent character design and vibrant colors)
    Music: 2/10 (suckage)
    Story: 4/10
    Humor: 9/10

Overall: 6/10
    Recommended sub: AonE (w/Anime Kraze) !

Last edited by masamuneehs; Thu, 02-15-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Capeta

I highly recommend it to fans of Major and Initial D. It's a racing anime that starts in the young days of Capeta, a boy raised by a single dad, as he starts to get submerged in the world of car racing. Currently Capeta is racing in go-karts, but hopefully by the end of the series he would've grown up and be racing in F1, at least the op hints the he will. The atmosphere is very similar to that of Major, though no major tragedy has happened so far. There are lots of introspection, which I usually like in anime, it gives characters more dimensions.

Releases:
    http://a.scarywater.net/ae/ = 1-6 by Anime-Empire
    http://www.anime-empire.net/bt = The rest by Anime-Empire

Last edited by Munsu; Wed, 04-05-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Neo Ranga

Three orphaned Japanese sisters, two school girls and one doing odd jobs to sustain them, follow their long lost brother's letter to a tropical southern island. And find themselves declared the kings of that island nation, as successors to their brother. Not much impressed by it, they return to Japan, Tokyo. But soon the enigmatic god of the island follows them to Japan: A hulking, sentient, nearly invincible robot like being. Although the god, Neo Ranga, seems to be a servant to the new kings, there is something more to the being than that.

Not really an action series, although it does contain plenty of that as well, Neo Ranga more concentrates on how hard it is to own a giant robot in a suburban area, and how differently people and nations might treat you as a consequence. And what kind of responsibility it brings to you if you have an ultimate weapon at your disposal. And does the weapon really want to be a weapon, in the end. Well, add to that consipiracies, sinister plots and ancient enmities of devastating scale, and you have Neo Ranga.

48 episodes, but each only half length (15 mins). Nice graphics, if a bit old school ( this is a Studio Pierrot show, btw). Not available at Boxtorrents, so check isohunt for example.

silverlegend

ragnarok the animation

]The story of Ragnarok the Animation entails the adventures of Yuufa, an Acolyte, and Roan, a swordsman, as they set out across the Rune-Midgard Kingdom. Having emotionally recovered from the death of her older brother Keogh during a crucial mission in Glast Heim, Yuufa and Roan set out on a new journey that will open them up to many mysteries and even more dangerous situations. Along the way, they are joined by a merchant named Maaya, the magician Takius, the hunter Judia, and their old companion, the assassin Iruga. Iruga was Keogh's childhood friend, and had saved from Yuufa and Roan from the terrible dangers of Glast Heim.

As the story unravels, the personalities of each character developes to a point where you are able to learn more about their lives, personal strengths and weaknesses. You get the chance to learn about each character individually, and how they become who they are today. Also, you start to get involved in a bigger mystery, as the conditions of the Rune-Midgard Kingdom suddenly take a turn for the worst, and an unexpected figure makes his appearance among the most devious of enemies. As the world begins to become wrapped up in a struggle between good and evil, Yuufa and Roan soon find themselves in the midst of the chaos.

Will the heroes be able to overcome their own weaknesses in time to save the world from a terrible fate? Well, you'll just have to wait and see.

please help me to find and watch online all the episodes of ragnarok the animation, it is an anime which i am starting to love!!!
    but anyway, u should try it too!!! i found some ep in youtube, just put ragnarok the animation episodes in the searching space, or go to oocanada's profile....
    thanks a lot!

Last edited by silverlegend; Sat, 07-29-2006 at 07:21 PM.

I'm going to put my 30 seconds on an anime called Shuffle.
    it's a romance comedy anime from the hermen genre (one lame guy that all the hot chicks like for an unknown reason), so you basically know what to expect.
    the main dude is Rin, who, as usual in this genre, has no special attribuities whatsoever, beside the mystry attribute of being 'Kind', go figure. the girls around him are the girl he lives with, Keade, who takes care of him and whatever he needs. a demon girl called Nerine and a heaven girl called Sia, both of which have met him eight years ago and have been hot for him ever since.
    there are a couple more girls around, but I'll leave them out for now.

the main problem of the show is that it has a really, really slow start, up until the middle (episode 12 or so, out of 24) nothing basically happens. and what's worse - not one of the girls seems to care about the other suitors (basically, everybody's good good friends with everyone else- BORING!), in other words, no conflict or a driving force.
    it changes once we reach the 2nd half, each girl is revealed to have some dark past. While most of what we see was done before, it's never bad to see a pretty girl go nuts, isn't it? beside, one of the charecters drops a knife vertically and almost kills another charecter, which is a scene that must be watched, over and over again!

in the end, Shuffle manages to be dark enough to be fun for adult viewers that don't like hermen animes, and has lots of pretty anime girls for those who do.
    sure, it's no elfen lied, but how many animes are? give shuffle a try, and enjoy the nastiness of jealousy and disturbed females. it's allways fun.

Fansubbed by froth-bite. 24 eps, 2004.

Hyper Police: This series was a real surprise for me. It's a world where humans have become an endangered species after the World of Monsters and the human world became intermingled. The main character is a catgirl with [insert cliche random powerful ability] who is a bounty hunter. I'll get right to it, this series is full of cliches. But what makes it stand out is that despite all the cliches, it manages to be entirely original. They change the order of where cliches appear in the story. The "I've lost the will to fight" cliche appears within the first 6 eps, instead of towards the end of the series. Huge sweeping changes happen quite often to the characters in the series, their demeanor, their role in the series, and the circumstances they live in. There is also a hidden maturity to the series. The city is filled with people who are mostly half of some animal or another, and there is an entire eps where the entire city is in heat.

A series that uses every cliche in the book, but manages to completely defy convention.

25 eps total.

Aoki Desetsu Shoot!: This is an anime following the Kakegawa High School soccer team. Kakegawa High's team is brand new being formed only a year before the three main characters show up at the school. It was formed when a soccer prodigy named Kubo started to attend their school wanting to build a team of his own. Despite how new they are there's a lot of talent on the team. I personally love this anime. It deals with the characters making tough choices and getting through hard times. Because it's an older show the animation isn't the best so if your in it for the eyecandy this is probably not the show for you. The characters aren't all that original either but they fill their rolls well enough that you don't really notice.

Legend of Condor Hero: Well, I'v been preaching about this show for a long time, and for good reason. Although it is fairly new (made within the last 5 or so years I think) the drawing style doesn't really show it. The draw is the plot. It's an action/romance following a rebellious boy and the current master of the Old Tomb school of Kung Fu. The would be couple faces numerous challenges throughout the series. It's pretty orginal as a whole, at least I haven't seen anything like it, and remains in my top 10 favorite anime series of all time.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Ayakashi:Japanese Classic Horror Show.
    This anime started this year, is to date a collection of 11 episodes, split in three different stories animated from Kabukis.

The first story is about Oiwa, a young bride that is abondonned by Iemon after he became a ronin in every possible meaning of it. We witness the transition of Oiwa from a bride to a devil spirit and the curses accompanying her.

I have to say this first story let me mixed feelings. I liked the artwork very much, all about the atmosphere too, the edo era life and so on. Something interresting: With each ep, some subbers make a pdf to explain parts of the story and history, so that we are not completly lost.
    I liked some of the tricks and the particularly malicious end (I mean the very end) that can potentialy make you unconfortable
    I disliked the slowlyness of the story at some points, and sometimes some caricatures of people... but I can't be more precise.

Second story:
    It's about forgotten Gods that feed on humans to remain alive (pretty much in the same fashion as the Wraiths in Stargate Atlantis ).
    A young maried Falconer will share buds love with the Forgotten God Master who happens to be quite beautifil in her own way, although she looks different. The story is about their impossible love and consequences they'll have to face.

I liked the artwork very much too. Although in some scenes I felt it was not as good as in other, particularly proportions and so on. Probably because it's a multiple hands work.
    The story is well paced, it's very interresting to switch from very peaceful sceneries and scenes, to a lot more violent ones. The best of the 3 stories, eventhough its scenario is a bit too simple.

Third Story:
    I was particularly bored watching that one, didn't like the artwork too... It's not that bad, just not my thing. I won't try to sum up the plot, as I may spoil the whole story.

Overall: It's a nice way of spending a good time.

PS:
    The opening theme is particular, at first it's very agressive and anachronical I could write...
    but in the end, you can bear it and even enjoy it. Why is that? because it matches the clip very well, the artworkd is sometimes magnificient in these 3 openings, matching the 3 stories. My advice would be to try it, and then switch off sound... just to be sure you won't miss the artwork in the openings. The ending song is more peaceful, something you'll listen with pleasure.
    PS2:Sorry for the long review, but it was a 3 in one. Hope it was "readable" and you'll enjoy this anime at least as much as I did... Hope you were not disgusted from watching it because of my poor skills at english

Kagihim Eykuu Alice Rondo (13 eps, Froth-bite subs).

tags: magic girls, transforming girls, alice stories, brother complex.

the story is about a boy named Arthur (Aruto) who has a strange fetish with alice (in wonderlan, in the land of mirrors) stories. one night he sees a girl jumping between rooftops with a bunny suit and he followes her, and finds out that she fights other transforming girls to take away their 'stories', parts of memories said to create the final alice story. they join together to complete the quest and read the book.

In between, we have the annoying little sister with the brother complex, the annoying girl with the shota complex, the annoying smart older girl, and lots of annoying people in the middle. basically, it's really annoying.

Personally, I'm not too excited about this anime, it's got nothing new to show, it's not done in any special way and the charecters are total overuse, it's got "Rozen Maiden" wrriten all over it, just without the funny parts, or the intersting parts. Also, there's far too much pesudo-plot in the series, and even the music, which is usually a strong point in those kinds of anime, is suprisingly weak...

and on a special note, be it good or bad in your opinion, they show the girls gainning bigger breasts when they transform into thier combat modes..

Numberic score: 60 - you aren't missing anything, but you won't suffer misreably.