Page 118 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2544

Thread: Funny Pic

I think he's trying to demonstrate something about powers (^)...
    can't tell what. also, isn't that german writing? 'what dies'

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    I think he's trying to demonstrate something about powers (^)...
    can't tell what. also, isn't that german writing? 'what dies'
    It says: "What does 237 mean?". Maybe he's explaining the theory behind solving some equations. Who knows.

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    There could be a number of things that make that picture not stupid or funny. First off, if he lifted the chalk from the board to write something else, he could have transiently changed his grip on the chalk as he moved it over to write something else. Or, maybe he does use that grip to write. I see no reason why he can't or why it's particularly difficult. I don't hold chalk or write on a vertical surface the same way I hold a pen or write sitting at a desk. Also, the area where the equal sign is looks as if something else was written there before he erased and replaced it with an equal sign, further suggesting that he's just not done.

Of course, he could have also fucked up, but it's not clear enough that he did for that pic to be funny.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    its probably written in a different numeral system, you can tell by the way the he "explains" the number 237 in decimal

2x10^2 + 3x10^1 + 7x10^0 = 237

edit: seems to be nonary - if you rewrite it into the decimal system it becomes

37 -> 3x9^1+7x9^0 = 34
    2x18 -> 2x (1x9^1 + 8x9^0) = 34
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 03-23-2013 at 08:21 AM.

as i humanities student, I'm going to need a better explanation...
    a. if you're still using all ten digits, why not stick to the regular expressions?
    b. how do you determinate how many times do you bring something up in powers? is it always going from the largest to the smallest?

you are not using ten digits

base2 = 0, 1
    base3 = 0,1,2
    base9 = 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    base10 = 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

so "9" in decimal becomes 10 in base 9

and "3" in decimal becomes 11 in base 2
    while "4" in decimal becomes 100 in base 2
    and "5" in decimal becomes 101 in base 2 <--- 1x2^2 + 0x2^1 + 1x2^0 = 5
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 03-23-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Isn't it a fricking university, according to the name? Why would he be writing elementary school mathematics on the chalkboard? Obviously he wasn't finished.
    You would be appalled out how many stunningly dim people get to go to university in the US. Remedial math classes do in fact cover fractions (which I learned in 2nd grade math). These people go on to become elementary school teachers, English majors, and even Business majors.

I've heard stories of students (business majors) fervently arguing that an infinite slope can't possibly exist on a graph. I've heard boyfriends discuss their girlfriend's (Education major) remedial math classes struggling with word problems involving probability.

It doesn't end with math either. I've had classes with English and Philosophy majors who can't write a coherent five paragraph essay.

Somehow these people graduate and get decent jobs thanks to all the connections they made when they were partying every Thursday night through Monday night.

Oh, I think I get it now.
    so '37' has to be in base 8 or above
    base10 = 3* 10^1 + 7*10^0 = 37
    base 9 = 3*9^1 + 7*9^0= 27 +7 = 34
    base 8 = 3*8^1 +7*8^1 =24+7 = 31

and "2*18" can either be 36 (decimal) or "2*9^0" [still 2] * (1*9^1+8*9^0) [9+8=17), and 2*17 is also 34.
    so 37 in base9 is twice as much as 18in base9.

headxplode. I gave up on advanced statistics major to pursue political sciences...

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

and "2*18" can either be 36 (decimal) or "2*9^0" [still 2] * (1*9^1+8*9^0) [9+8=17), and 2*17 is also 34.
    so 37 in base9 is twice as much as 18in base9.
    not sure about what you mean with this part, unless you wanted to say "and 37 in base-9 is also actually 34 in decimal"

2x18 in base-9 is 34 if we translate it back to base-10 ----- (2*9^0 = 2) * ( 1*9^1+8*9^0 = 17) = 34
    and 37 in base-9 is also 34 if we translate it back to base-10 ----- (3*9^1 + 7*9^0 = 34)

so 2x18=37, both written in base-9, is correct

if you said so, then nevermind :P

you normaly write down the numeral system you used somewhere if I'm not mistaken
    so its actually not that .... weird.

it could look somewhat like this: 2x189=379
    http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/dat...s/imaiya1.html

that link could help, its where I "learned" it from... I did never encounter that during my school days myself, well maybe I did, but I don't remember
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 03-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Best part is when he trips!
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

I rather like how he thinks he's incognito now that he's covered his face. Nevermind the polkadot pajama pants and what looks like either a giant boner or terrifyingly large tumor emanating from the crotch area...or that distinctive yellowish green jacket overlayed in colorful stamps...or his size and distinctive walk...or the fact that if there was a camera there, he'd already been seen.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barles
    looks like either a giant boner or terrifyingly large tumor emanating from the crotch area
    He's just fat and wears his pants over his gut.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    He's just fat and wears his pants over his gut.
    My goodness...that is obscene.

- Inquisitor Czevak

Blog Entries

Too much?

I think he meant "swagger". Swag is prizes/free stuff and everyone wants that.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

2 out of 10. Not funny and not even very offensive either, just stupid.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Blog Entries
    The last line did it for me though.

Well skinny white guy makes a racist joke about black people. We know how that ends.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

His shirt might be the bigger joke, though. If all shirts in the world were as ugly as that, I'd go shirtless like Archie.