Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga: Soul Eater

With the anime finished I decided to have a look at the differences between it and the manga. Quite a ride it was, once the differences began. However, aside from the very end of the anime, I don't actually think, now that I've read what's out of the manga, that the anime was particularly poor. It used the elements rather decently.

Like Ryll, I liked Kim and Jacqueline's story. Angela's fate is obviously open at the moment, with Mifune dead (which was one nice and ruthless difference). I wonder what will happen to her. Though like Ryll said, if Kim and Jasq can return, there's really no reason why Angela couldn't be taken care of as well. Who knows. In any case, both would require a change of atmosphere and thinking over at Death City.

One thing that bothered me from the beginning is how Mifure (and Angela) always felt so slapped on characters. He was basically just hanging there, guarding a character of even lesser significance. He had no connection to Arachne, other than being there, he had no aims (nor did Angela), no villainy, no... nothing. His only meaning was to fight Black Star. They were decent fights and forced Black Star to develop, but honestly those fights served no bigger purpose beyond that. I don't like it.

Blog Entries
    Soul Eater - Chapter 61

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i dare anyone to say they weren't surprised by these latest developments

While i enjoyed the chapter i found it annoying how they just kept repeating this so called "sway of magic" as it was common knowledge while us, the fans, are hearing about it for the first time.

Yeah. It was a very bad case of suddenly introducing a new story element. I can't recall whether we've ever been told before why all witches are seemingly evil, so maybe this is nothing but an oversight by the mangaka (he only now realised he needs to define it for the story to work). Or, in the worst case scenario, he never imagined the manga would continue this long and thus he never wrote the story this far, to begin with, and is now desperately planning more material.

An interesting chapter in any case. Shinigami is characteristically overly relaxed despite his son never coming back. What comes to Black Star, I have hard time imagining him lying to Angela about the situation. He got his whole clan, parents included, slaughtered by the people he's now serving, so from his own point of view Angela is nothing special. Not only that, but Black Star is hardly one to lie and circumvent the truth. I hope he will tell Angela how things really stand, and come up with something to make it work for her (with Tsubaki, I suppose, since Black Star only knows how to fight, not mend things).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Or, in the worst case scenario, he never imagined the manga would continue this long and thus he never wrote the story this far, to begin with, and is now desperately planning more material.
    As i read this, Kubo and Bleach came to mind. No idea why...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I hope he will tell Angela how things really stand, and come up with something to make it work for her (with Tsubaki, I suppose, since Black Star only knows how to fight, not mend things).
    That would be pretty risky

Soul had a good point, she is still a child and as such still hasn't grasped both the concepts of good and evil completely. Having her father figure killed by the man and woman she thought were her friends might be too much for her to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    While i enjoyed the chapter i found it annoying how they just kept repeating this so called "sway of magic" as it was common knowledge while us, the fans, are hearing about it for the first time.
    I can't help but think this was the result of a poor translation. I found the script to be quite badly edited. Some of the lines just staggered really poorly and sounded incredibly awkward. There was no feel for how different characters speak. Both Jackie and Sid saying, "I daresay..."? I'm not sure what the Japanese says precisely, but that is a terrible way to translate that patch of dialogue.

I did think they mentioned something to this effect during the convocation of witches that we saw just before Medusa had Free released. I can't remember the chapter though. It certainly was not addressed in the detail we see here.

Blog Entries
    You mean here ?

Because they don't seem to mention it as far as i can tell.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The term "sway of magic" itself sounds rather awkward, though if you see it as just a modified version for "corruption of power" or something, I can live with it.

Anyway, it totally threw me off when Justin was revealed to be a bad guy. The anime sure changed things huh? I guess along with Marie's hammer form, they came up with Justin's Law-Abiding-Silver-Gun too. <- which was pretty awesome in its own right.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    The term "sway of magic" itself sounds rather awkward, though if you see it as just a modified version for "corruption of power" or something, I can live with it.

Anyway, it totally threw me off when Justin was revealed to be a bad guy. The anime sure changed things huh? I guess along with Marie's hammer form, they came up with Justin's Law-Abiding-Silver-Gun too. <- which was pretty awesome in its own right.
    The term may be just a mistranslation by the subbing team, just like Ryu said

As for Justin's finishing move, it came from the manga

http://www.onemanga.com/Soul_Eater/26/30-31/

Blog Entries
    Soul Eater - Chapter 62

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh God dammit !! This is the cliffhanger that came from hell !

I really hope the they don't go with another joke this time and that they really do get a power up, that team really needs one

Dam that was one hell of a team, can't wait to find out what their real agenda is all about. And just how does that book guy have enough power to make pure insanity his partner ??

And lol for the Black Star vs Patty fight, 1 hit pwnage haha

Somehow I foresaw it's not going to end well for Black Star, because if it had been a real fight, there wouldn't have been much excitement. Still, it was very pitiful, and even Angela told as much to the Mighty Black Star.

Speaking of Angela it seems like she's just hanging around. I had hoped we would learn her current situation in more detail, like where she is living and what manner of a future is in store for her. But I guess they need to sort out more important things first. Angela is good material for some breathers between the real things.

Black Star's fight ended in an appropriate manner. There's really no point to having either one pwn each other here, especially after establishing how good Patty is. Both managed to come out of that without a "I am stronger than you because I won" result.

The new uniforms totally overshadowed the Death Scythe powerup for me. Tsubaki and Liz look pretty sexy. They were good looking from the get-go though.

Ox &co's Men In Black getup is pimping though

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Dam that was one hell of a team, can't wait to find out what their real agenda is all about. And just how does that book guy have enough power to make pure insanity his partner ??
    Where did it say the Kishin was his partner? That's right, Justin Law mentioned he was serving the Kishin in chap 61, and now he's with Noah here.

If the Kishin is as big a pussy here as he was in the anime, I can certainly see him siding with Noah if Noah promises him "security". It's a shaky idea though, since in the anime he killed Arachne when he felt he relied on her too much.

I do think this powerup's for real. They'll really need it for whoever this new guy is, who is apparently "more appropriate" for assassinating Maka than Justin.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 06-13-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    he new uniforms totally overshadowed the Death Scythe powerup for me. Tsubaki and Liz look pretty sexy. They were good looking from the get-go though.

Ox &co's Men In Black getup is pimping though

Where did it say the Kishin was his partner? That's right, Justin Law mentioned he was serving the Kishin in chap 61, and now he's with Noah here.

If the Kishin is as big a pussy here as he was in the anime, I can certainly see him siding with Noah if Noah promises him "security". It's a shaky idea though, since in the anime he killed Arachne when he felt he relied on her too much.

I do think this powerup's for real. They'll really need it for whoever this new guy is, who is apparently "more appropriate" for assassinating Maka than Justin.
    You noticed them too?

Maka looked adorable in her sailor fuku and Black Star just looks incredibly badass

When i mentioned pure insanity i was referring to the clown

Here

He teamed up with that last guy presumably because he was still weak and the factory was helping him take corporeal form

Now this Noah character must be something special to be able to control such a being

So is this going to mostly be Patty weilding Liz? If Patty is the far more proficient fighter, it only makes sense that she would become the "technician."

I like Tsubaki's new look, but Kim and Jackie didn't change at all... Their school uniforms were always a little bland to me, I would have liked to see something else. Ox actually looks pretty badass with hair. I noticed Black*Star's scar before they even brought attention to it, and could only think, "That's really cool looking through the star."

This is actually the perfect time for everyone to get power ups since they are about to fight some crazy enemies. The concept of Death Scythes was introduced at the beginning of the series so it doesn't feel so cliche.

Stein and Marie Mjonir combo was pretty badass, i'm hoping to see more of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon
    This is actually the perfect time for everyone to get power ups since they are about to fight some crazy enemies. The concept of Death Scythes was introduced at the beginning of the series so it doesn't feel so cliche.

Stein and Marie Mjonir combo was pretty badass, i'm hoping to see more of it.
    Everyone is already plenty powerful, so the only one who needs this upgrade so far is Soul

Besides it's not like there are Witch souls just laying around for anyone to catch

It's been awhile since it was mentioned but the whole "sway of magic" has been mentioned before though it was called "guidance of magic". Kim talks a little about it after they show what kind of magic she has. here
    You are here alone again
    In your sweet insanity
    All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
    Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
    When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

Quote Originally Posted by Ryll
    Ox actually looks pretty badass with hair.
    Ox has hair?? Man, I just went and checked today. It's badass alright.

http://www.onemanga.com/Soul_Eater/62/35/

Blog Entries
    Looking at the cover i noticed 2 things:

- Black Star's new design is insanely cool

- Soul seems to have a different look there, so maybe that's his death scythe look? I hope not since it's too similar to the regular version

I can't with any honesty say Maka's change of clothes would be an improvement. Her old one looked more convincing than this stock sailor fuku.

So, Soul is now a death scythe, but I'm not too sure it will immediately reflect in his powers. All in all this series has been more about gaining strength through training, discovery, and experience than by earning new powers as gifts from heaven. Which is of course a good thing.

Btw, does Tsubaki still have any more souls eaten than her brother's..? Even though Black Star lives in his own little world and only believes in his own big ideas, it'd still be kind of sad if Tsubaki never gets to eat those souls Soul is gorging all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    - Soul seems to have a different look there, so maybe that's his death scythe look? I hope not since it's too similar to the regular version
    I don't get what you mean. That's his Strike Team uniform, and he hasn't eaten Arachne's soul till that final slide.

Or are you saying you want to see a new look when he upgrades?