Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga: Berserk

Thats what I thought too until the last page. It might give us some "insight" as to whether Guts will decide to return Caska's memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-BeRt
    I fail to see the point of this chapter. Awesome and enthralling? What's so good about it? It didn't really accomplish anything besides tell us that Farneze might like Guts and show us his body.
    Then read between the lines. Everything that is and might be, what has not yet come to pass and what has passed before your eyes unnoticed.

As carnage says. This is a question that most of us readers have been asking ourselves for a long time, and now to see Guts ask this question is a proof of that he has matured and slowed down a bit. And not only that, with this question he is actually considering that "bringing Caska back" might not be the best for her.

But also, Guts saving Caska out of the water, what significance does that have to Caska who has been afraid of Guts for so long?

And beyond that, this chap was pure art in a mental state. When he was talking about his hand falling off, and thinking back to all the times he spent with Caska in different situations, just beautiful.

Unlike all the chaps with senseless fighting, this chap was one of those chaps that actually moves the series forward. And in what dirrection, well the creator likes keeping us in suspens, so, we'll just have to wait and see.

And what I feel about Guts question is that he doesn't have a say in it. Caska needs her memories back no matter how painful they are. I Realize that the reason she became that way was to deal with the ordeal. This was the only way possible for her. And if given her memories back she will probably go crazy to say the least, but I think she will be strong enough now to handle it. And not only she will need that inner strenght, but everyone around her needs it. She could be a great asset in their fight and she could be a very powerful motivator for Guts.

Idk, Caska is going to have to deal with the memory of being raped by monsters and also not knowing where her kid is...maybe she's better off being retarded.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i can't imagine a story so heavilly enamored with the theme of 'painfully overcoming impossible opposition' would allow for Caska to remain without her memories forever... Surely dealing with those memories won't be easy for her, but I feel that it'll have to happen eventually...

interestingly, remember when she was about to be raped by those random three guys? and Guts finds them dead, and her covered in blood and holding a sword? I think it might take a similar episode to revive not only her fighting skills, but her memory as well. that scene always sticks with me when i think about her future...

also, about this latest chapter, why didn't Firenze want to know what the end of Guts' sentence was? Just normal embarassment at eavesdropping? And, and probably more importantly, did Schierke hear it? It appeared that she got back to her body a bit after Firenze, and she had a face on like she had heard something she didn't want to face...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I was actually thinking she might not want to know because she has taken a liking to Caska :P It's too kliché if for her to fall for Guts since every other girl out there also falls for him... So her falling for Caska would be interesting.

Masamune, I can't see her haing to fight demons to get her memories back because there aren't supossed to be any on Elfheim, but I do see her lashing out at Guts. Trying to kill him and what else might feel good at the moment... After all, that's what she has done to him earlier when a trauma has occured.

Actually he might even let her release her pain on him, killing him... Now that would be a twist in the story.

There's one more possibility for why Farense backed out. What if Guts had said instead of the obvious guess "She is my woman," rather, "She is my comrade/commander/[other military connotation]"

None of his new comrades seem to realize the two of them are the famous Strike Leaders from the former Band of the Hawk. They clearly know of those two historical figures in Midland, but don't seem to connect that Guts and Caska are in fact The Guts and perhaps more prominently The Caska.

It's a long shot, but if Scherkie (sp?) can reach into the depths of Guts' mind while in the Astral plane, Farense may as well.

It's one thing to be war heroes. It's another to be a member of the Band of the Hawk.

Dude, good thinking... Didn't consider that point at all. And I hope they will tell the story in connection to Caska regaining her memory... Hopefully on Elfheim.

a hunch tells me she won't quite regain all her memories until it's some dark situation. also, i was wondering, what if Guts loses control again and attacks her again? They only casually hinted at it in this chapter, but it's still in play...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

One of the things that I've always wondered with Caska losing her memory would be how she regains it. I've come to think of a few ways of this happening.

One possible way:
    After Guts leaves Elfheim, on his search for Griffiths is that some how Caska goes missing or is picked up and she sees Griffiths and has the instant connection (like she already does, and something like what you see back when Guts fought Zodd over the swords) and gets early memories back from those times where Griffiths saved her and picked her up, followed with more memories of the band of the hawk.

Slowly getting more memories back, but the memories stop once Guts comes involved and she only sees him as the one that killed her comrades, possibly the one she layed down with to keep warm, and only has contempt for him.

Enter Guts, seeing Caska with Griffiths drives him mental, Caska only having bad images of Guts could possibly attack or doesn't care for him, Guts goes Apostle killing crazy.

After this point and between the next one is where I don't know what should happen.

Slowly Caska starts seeing memories of Guts being a person who saves her, and then at a point she notices Griffiths being the bad guy and then BOOM, Griffiths giving the Band of the Hawk as sacrifices and raping her, she's having a mental state as Griffiths and Guts are fighting at the moment, but then Caska finishes Griffiths off.

After this would be Guts realising his dream of swinging his sword with Caska or something like that
    Griffiths would've already achieved his dream, so dreaming is good, and Caska is the one who finishes the fight between Guts and Griffiths.

Yea, that wouldnt be a bad way to go, since arguably Griffth has done wore to her than Guts. I think him raping her, taking her sanity, and taking her child is way worse than the mental and physical torture that Guts has been through....and that's saying something.

^^ Yea, just look at his body! He looks like a fucking battle scarred Gundam action figure that I see on the commercials.

Gutts doing the yumi thing for Kenshin and jumps Griffith to allow Caskc to stab through both of them, and in his last breath says something stupid like 'thank you' fto guts.
    Griffy dies, but does so in the hands of his beloved Guts.
    Guts gets to see Griffith dead, but at the same times brings him back.
    Caska gets her memories back, but has nothing left from her past life.

Edit:
    I think Guts was about to say "She is my sin" or something like that (burden, responsability, debt, seal) in that lines, maybe he said she is his connection to the world, I can't believe he talked about love or friendship.
    Last edited by Death BOO Z; Thu, 07-19-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Never thought I'd find myself posting in this thread but... here I am =P

At any rate, I won't attempt to summarize my impressions seeing that we're 33 volumes in and I'd probably end up writing a boring essay only I'd appreciate =P Manga's good and I'll keep reading.

Incidentally, I find the storyline more interesting when they're concentrating on Gutts than Griffith. I can't stand how his character is drawn and anything he does I know he will do brilliantly so I find him less intriguing and not as fun to read about. But that's just me. And I'm rooting for return of full mental health for Caska, no matter what the cost

No matter what they all fall down. Everyone ends up here wether they like it or not Welcome by the way

Yup, Guts is a whole lot more fun to read about than that man whose name I shall not speak.

yay for another manga reader joining in!

I'm tempted to agree with DeathbooZ's second paragraph (the first bit would be a horrible disappointment, in my eyes, if it came to pass...) I don't think Guts would admit, to a relative stranger of all people, his true feelings for Caska. "My responsibility..." would be exactly what I'd fill the empty line with...

Just read chapter 288, raw and translation.

Title: Sea Battle
    Not a bad chapter, but I'll wait until the scan is out to talk.

Although, there is now a small month break, no Berserk till September 14th.

Oh man, it sucks to be a Berserk fan sometimes :S

Lucky you though man, already read it and all :P

Sea Battle?

Ugh, it's going to be 2009 before they get to that island, isn't it?

Methinks I'll abstain from the storyline once again and post in this thread again next year =P

MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii