Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who knows about video card?

Who knows about video card?

im thinking about getting an xtasy 9200 SE 128mb pci video card.

its 99.99....so $100. but im not sure if its worth it or not. i wanted the geforce 5300 (or something) fx, but my crappy ass mobo doesn't have an agp slot.

anyway, i basically want to run doom 3, so if anyone can help me make a decision, i'd appreciate it.

plz keep in mind that, as much as i'd like to get the ATI radeon 9800, or something else as powerful, i really cant afford it. $100 is my limit at the moment, and i need somehting better tehn my sis 680 rev, 64 mb built in card.

thanx

the comp i run doom3 at was 2.8ghz, 1 gig of ram and gforce 256 or something like that... it ran it "decent." so make sure your comp is fast enough first.
    www.rolleyes.net/

Financial aspect of my life is revealed.

Pick me. Me.. me me! I know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'd doubt that your pc would run Doom 3. If it hasn't a agp your doomed.
    The best is if you could find a pci ati radeon 9100 or pci Geforce 4 mx 400
    Or just wait and buy a new one

What your computer specs?

well i've asked a friend of mine, and he said my crappy comp can be tweaked to run doom....dunno how good it'll be, but untill i cna get enuff cash to buy a new comp, it'll have to do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

but i wanna know about the video card....is it worth it for the price, and what are the pros and cons, if anyone knows them.

Edit:

naruto #1 : the card is "powered by" ATI, but its not a radeon. still it should work....hopefully.

my comp is p3, 1 ghz, 512 ram and hopefully the ati 9200 se video card.

pci cards are the suck ;\

invest in a new mobo and save your money while you wait for the next gen of games and video cards [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

with pci you really can only use vid cards with limited power. 9200 even in agp (which i have) is not that good at all. oh, when you're talking about radeons (xtasy is running on radeon chipset) SE = BAD. im pretty sure i saw a xtasy 9200 256MB one for only 100 bucks. i know that i wanna play a lot of other games that needs a better system. the only real solution is to buy/build an up to date computer.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

RE: Who knows about video card?

I'm gonna suggest that you don't waste your money.

Even if you can get video settings tweaked low enough to work on your system with doom3 and a pci graphics card, I think your cpu is a bit far below the bottom level of playability.

I'd recommend you work up about 600 bucks saved up, get yourself a motherboard that doesn't suck, a processor that doesn't suck, 512 megs of non-sucky ram, and a non-sucky video card. Alternately, get yourself all of that and a new case, and call it a whole new computer.

Seriously, on a 1ghz p3, that shit isn't gonna run anyway. I can't see you getting a playable experience out of that.

Yes, as suggested before, I suggest you by a whole new computer. Here are the minimal (and by minimal I mean BARE minimal) specs you need to run Doom 3 on you computer:

- 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor or AMD Athlon 1500

- 384 MB of RAM

- 2 GB of free hard drive space

- Either an nVidia GeForce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500 (or better).

There are different variations of this but I found this was directly from the CEO himself. Again as complich8 suggested before, upgrade/buy a new computer that has the specs he offered (or better). Hope I could help.

EDIT: This might help also. These are the specs needed to get the most out of Doom 3 (again this information is from the CEO himself):

- 3GHz P4 or Athlon equivalent

- 512MB to 1GB RAM

- Geforce 6800 FX/ATI 9800 or newer

Yet again, I suggest you by a whole other computer to play Doom 3.

Yeah, as mentioned before I don't think the processor will allow the game to even initiate, let alone run crappily. I believe there's an error message for anything under 1.5ghz.
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

No, ive seen it run on a 933, but it was horrible.

I agree with investing in a motherboard and just plain upgrading your computer first, before wasting money on a crappy video card.

thanx for all the suggestions guys....in the end i did buy the video card. as much as id like to do a full upgrade im currently unemployed, and uni starts in 2 weeks, so i'll need to dish out around 7-8 grand for that. i just can't afford to get a new comp rite now.

anyway, i did manage to run doom 3, and the graphics weren't all that horrible. however it only goes up untill u get control of the character. as soon as i try walking thru the door, teh damn thing freezes. oh well.....guess i'll have to stick to UT for now.

once again, thanx for all the input. appreciate it

Err... since this topic is up I might as well ask... my PC spec is P4 2.GHz, 640 333MHz RAM BUT..... no graphics card and worst of all NO AGP SLOT! With specs like that can I salvage the situation with a PCI graphics card?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

cpu is high enough that it might be able to make up for it .... you might be able to get by with a pci geforce 4 mx or something .... I dunno though. Maybe? AGP is definitely on the "very desirable" list for features for the game, at least.

So .... maybe give it a try. If nothing else, it'll give ya the ability to run dual monitors, maybe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I built my cousins system, and trust me he's made it 100x worse than it should be (my expectancys for any system I build are that they will always run as they did on the test run). His computer, which is shitty for 1 reason and 1 reason only (because he don't know how to use it and downloads a buttload of worthless junk). Well, anyways... His computer can run Doom 3 on high and here are his settings (take into mind this was made for $600 2-3 years ago).

1.4ghz AMD athlon (3?)
    512 DDRam
    256mb Geforce 4, Gainward
    old gigabyte motherboard
    AND WE PLAY IT ON HIS TV (which is the only reason it lags as it runs perfect on a computer monitor).

We play it on high.

Ok that's odd, I have slightly higher specs than yours (except I have a GF3 instead) and I can only barely play it on Medium. Go figure. :S
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

VooDoo's the best for ID games! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
    Ok that's odd, I have slightly higher specs than yours (except I have a GF3 instead) and I can only barely play it on Medium. Go figure. :S
    well......video cards are very crucial in the gaming industry these days......so having the older generation card might be the bottlecap in itself
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Sorry I meant to say my processor was 2.8Ghz P4, not 2GHz.

Keep saving untill you can buy at least a Radeon 9800 PRO, if you invest in a 100 dollar videocard atm you will regret you did it within 2 months..

Because with the heavy Doom 3 engine, upcomming HL 2 and the Unreal 3 engine, you seriously need at least a Radeon 9800PRO

But it's your decision, buy a 100 dollar card now and be able to play Doom 3 "descently" (cuz i have to be realistic no 100 dollar cards will work good with Doom 3)

Or wait till you got around 200 dollar and play all the new generation games good..

just my 2cc

P.S 99 Dollar for a Radeon 9200SE ?? That's a rip off`dude, besides that a Geforce FX5200 128MB, would have been a better choice.. so if you really cant wait i would go for a Geforce FX5200 wich is around 45 Dollar, untill you got enough money for a 9800PRO or a next gen videocard (preferrable Radeon x800xt)..