Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aikido

Aikido

Do you attend the martial art aikido or know someone who does? I'm going to start it in a few weeks... sure'd like to find some other guys who like it... so, anyone?

*Expects topic to get no replies since everybody just does karate or tae kwan do*

RE: Aikido

Yeah. My Karate-Do also had Akido and Judo classes, as well as various guess instructors over the years. I've done a bit of Kung Fu (can't remember which school), Brazilian Jujitsu, and some SWAT training. heh. Brad Jones rocks.

I do Kendo but several of my Sensei have done Akido. Just be prepared to get your ass thrown around a room by some one like four times your age for the next five years. But good luck, it's a great martial art to learn.

i bet... a ultimate fighter champion could beat the living hell out of a akido master. all of that martial arts stuff is thrown straight out of a window in a real fight.

yes, martial arts is still involved in ultimate fighting but it's becomes pretty much a street fight when it gets down to it.
    www.rolleyes.net/

Financial aspect of my life is revealed.

i barely know anything about akido, but i have been to a couple of kendo practices

the sensei there was pretty cool,
    they teach about the importance of stance and following through
    dont know if their alike though

too bad i quit going to kendo, i just didnt have the time

Shit many replies, unexpected. Well I am really looking forward to getting thrown around... really, I do! The uniforms are classy. And I'm a fan of that more "passive" style of martial arts... I am very excited

Originally posted by: Mut@t@
    i bet... a ultimate fighter champion could beat the living hell out of a akido master. all of that martial arts stuff is thrown straight out of a window in a real fight.

yes, martial arts is still involved in ultimate fighting but it's becomes pretty much a street fight when it gets down to it.
    very true dude...i did judo for 2 years....and when i got in a real fight in school the last seconds of the match
    i was able to....EPONSANAGI! his ass but other than that it was a street fight. its hard to get sumone in a judo
    move in a real fight. butt theres one move in judo i love the tazzmition! even though i forgot whats it called in judo v_v. akido looks tight though

p.s. tae kwon do is pussi

Originally posted by: tensai
    i barely know anything about akido, but i have been to a couple of kendo practices

the sensei there was pretty cool,
    they teach about the importance of stance and following through
    dont know if their alike though

too bad i quit going to kendo, i just didnt have the time
    Well Akido was developed my a Samurai that relized that all the weapons like a Katana, Naginata, Yari, or Bo used the same hand and foot placemnet. He took that basic princaple and used it to make Akido or gentle way or gentle path, im a little rough on the translation but akido is one of the few martial arts that does work in a real fight. It's just a matter of geting your slef centered and in the correct stance.

And to the statment that an ultimate fighter could beat the living hell out of a Akido master. you are so wrong. Bu the time the burly fight came in for an attack the master would have thrown him across the room and procced to do so until than man gave up or was incapasitated. The Whole pont around Akido is to use your opponents movement or energy against him.

that is such bs... ever heard of the greatest martial artist getting his ass whooped in a bar fight? that was bruce lee. really sorry to say but but street fighting (fighting dirty) wins against akido or any other martial arts. and teh ultimate fighters (the GOOD ones) aren't just regular street fighters, they also have some martial arts background but they incorporate that into a street fighting style.
    www.rolleyes.net/

Financial aspect of my life is revealed.

yup been doing aikido since 9 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ni-dan

Missing Nin

Aikido

Originally posted by: Mut@t@

not if ur a sensei with years of experience.... street fighting is all brute force, something like ju-jit-tsu is exactly intended against that kind of combat, so tbh, a streetfighter wouldnt stand a chance

*w00t, 1000th post!*

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar

I've taken aiki-jujutsu for a year and a half. Yeah...prepare to be thrown around a bunch, get hit and pinched at pressure points (dear god...) and other kinds of things that make you look dumb and yell like a school girl. We also did ground fighting in that, but I don't think they teach much of that in aikido.

To Mut@t@: You're right, but notice how the good fighters know martial arts. If I had to chose one or the other (plain street fighting, or plain martial arts), I'd choose plain martial arts. I don't think that people who train specifically to beat other peoples asses are going to lose more often than not against those who don't.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar

martial arts do work against street fights but street fighting has passed now everything is resolved with a gun

--------------------------------"THE DROPOUT CREW"-------------------------------
    ___________________Captain Dropout For Life__________________

yup
    a gun ^^

am i the only one here that thinks learning martial art is purely for self disciplinary puposes and not for street ass whoopin purposes??

thats why i learn kendo. u dont carry yer shinai everywhere u go so chances of trying to use what u learn in real life combat is close to nil. therefor when provoke in real life u just cooly avoid the conflict or RUN LIKE HELL. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Terra, don't you actually want to learn some offense too? Isn't Aikido just about counters and nothing else?

I'm trying to decide on a martial art to take up. I've already reached brown belt in Rhee Tae Kwon Do, but I'm a bit bored with it. I want to do something a little out of the ordinary instead of all the famous popular ones like Karate and Judo. I'd like a combination of defense and offense. Any suggestions?
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

definately kendo u get to wear cool amour

Aikido is counters and throws mostly but also some weapons like bokken & staves. That's more my cup of tea than the all-out offensive martial arts. I am also choosing Aikido because as you say "everybody" does Karate and that shit... I wanna try something new and I love the principles of Aikido. + The Hakama you get after some time is just awesome.

Aikido

Yeah but in kendo all you have to do is just buy the uniform. If you take kendo and akido at the same time, one helps the other. Akido helps your balance and center of mind while Kendo helps your stamina and reflexes. For the other kendoka out there, take Iaido as another option. It helps with your strike and focus.

Aikido

The only real standup fight that works excellently is Muay Thai. All out beating the shit out of each other.

Either that or grappling. BJJ's perhaps the best.

Most UFC champions are Shootfighters (Grapplers + Stand up). Except some pure grapplers like Royce Gracie(BJJ) or Tank Abbott (No style, just damn strong and punching). Then thats different.

If you want something that teaches you to fight.. Ask, that when you spar, do you touch, half-on or full-on.

Because if it's just touch. then your wasting your time.
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii