Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar
    I just finished Eldest again and started reading the Ender's series. Im done with Ender's Game, and waiting to get Speaker for the Dead.

Right now im reading Farewell to Arms in my English Pre AP class and its an alright book by Earnest Hemmingway. Like everyone reads that in High School. Its about a soldier who is like a loner but then changes for a nurse and becomes more passionate.

@Darkmetal505: Enders series is kickass, you should also read the Tales of Alvin, its the same author Orson Scott Card and the Earth Series.
    No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you when he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher."
    -Mazer Rackham

Yay books!

Right now I'm finishing a Japanese novel from the Edo period (1670 or so) by one of Edo's greatest poets, Saikaku Ihara. This book however is prose, called "Loves of a Gentleman", but that's a very misleading title...

The story follows the life of a man called Yonosuke from his eight years to his sixty-eight, there's a chapter for each year but they're pretty short.
    He's basically a Japanese Don Juan and sleeps with different women (and mean) in each chapter.

It's entretaining but also rater repetitive, since each new chapter only brings new women/men for the protagonist to sleep with, and his conquests are usually not that impressive, since 60% of them are prostitutes.

However, it's still a very Japanese book ("...ah the flowing of this ethereal world..."), si I guess it's worth it if you're interested.

As soon as I'm done with that one I'll start with Diana Wyne Jonee' Deep Secret, which is basicallyl fantasy. I'm a fan of her books, so I'm looking forward to having something light to read before starting on my school books, with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (which fills me with fear) first of all.

無理してここまでやってきて これからもすっと同じだろう
    それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

Lol, you people that read these heady books in differnet languages are making my inferiority compleex act up!

I finished the Michelle Sagara book, whose last three chapters were much more entertaining then the first 19 were. Now I'm reading Wizard by John Varley. 2nd book in the Gaea Trilogy. Varley is apparently a highly lauded Sci-Fi writer, who I'd never heard of until I saw his books on display at Boarders on my my through to the movie theater. A+ for cover design, I immediately grabbed Titan the first of the Gaea books based only on the cover art and the blurbs, it turned out to be quite a good read, and now i'm reading book two.

The trilogy is about a near future space expidition to Saturn to study the moons. While investigatig the moon Themis they discover it is in fact a 1300 km diameter hollow Torus (doughnut) and is not a moon at all, but a life form, Gaea. Within Gaea is an entire world into which the charachters are brought. The first book was very interesting, chronicleing the experiances of the crew of the ship as they explore Gaea's interior and attempt to met the 'Goddess' herself. Wizard takes place 60 years later, where Gaea has become a frequent tourist attraction, in addition to a soverign nation and voting member of the UN.

I just finished reading A Scanner Darkly, a novel by Phillip K. Dick. It's a very good book, if you happened to see the movie and enjoyed it I encourage you strongly to read it, as it, like most other novels that are adapted into movies, is far more detailed and interesting.

For those of you who havent heard of it, a quick synopsis from Amazon:
    Mind- and reality-bending drugs factor again and again in Philip K. Dick's hugely influential SF stories. A Scanner Darkly cuts closest to the bone, drawing on Dick's own experience with illicit chemicals and on his many friends who died from drug abuse. Nevertheless, it's blackly farcical, full of comic-surreal conversations between people whose synapses are partly fried, sudden flights of paranoid logic, and bad trips like the one whose victim spends a subjective eternity having all his sins read to him, in shifts, by compound-eyed aliens. (It takes 11,000 years of this to reach the time when as a boy he discovered masturbation.) The antihero Bob Arctor is forced by his double life into warring double personalities: as futuristic narcotics agent "Fred," face blurred by a high-tech scrambler, he must spy on and entrap suspected drug dealer Bob Arctor. His disintegration under the influence of the insidious Substance D is genuine tragicomedy. For Arctor there's no way off the addict's downward escalator, but what awaits at the bottom is a kind of redemption--there are more wheels within wheels than we suspected, and his life is not entirely wasted. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk
    Last edited by eat_toast; Tue, 08-15-2006 at 01:10 PM.

I'm going through Lone Wolf & Cub for the 9th or 10th time....wait, does manga count?