Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Book(s) are you reading?

Right now im reading Hannibal which didnt live up to the hype for me. Sure its good but its not great. I agree that Ludlum is a good author whoever mentioned it. Everyone who hasnt go grab Fahrenheit 451its an awsome book. Hmm yeah The Da'Vinci Code wasnt that great but i reccomend it to those who are just getting into reading as its a really easy read. Hmm for those who like fantasy go for The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It takes a lot of heat from some readers because he "focuses on the wrong thing" i.e. he'll write a page about a dress and a paragraph about a sword fight. The joke is this doesnt happen often if ever in the series and even if it did theres a lot more to describe about a dress then a real swordfight. Those dont last long. Anyways,.... i dont know what im replying to at this point.

Originally posted by: TruthofMistake
    Hmm yeah The Da'Vinci Code wasnt that great but i reccomend it to those who are just getting into reading as its a really easy read.
    I really don't recommend reading this book just cause it's really shitty and a waste of time. What's sad is that I actually bought this book at an airport. Yes, I regretted paying for it after I finished reading.

Originally posted by: ES
    Rereading The Vampire Lestat and just finished Angels and Demons a few weeks ago...
    I used to love Anne Rice's vampire chronicles. The last one I read was Blackwood Farm (I think). It was okay.

Anyway, my fav. book of all time is The Little Prince, by Antoine De Saint-Exupery.
    [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Blackwood Farm is a good book and the one ofthe last ones I believe. Of all the chronicles, perhaps my fave was Lestat and Memnoch the Devil due to the mythos between God and the devil.

"The game" by Neil Strauss a.k.a. Style. On the cover it says "penetrating the secret society of pickup artist" this sums up the content of the book pretty well. Basically the book is about the authors journey from being a guy that has no skills with women what so ever to becoming one of the best and most respected pickup artists in the world. You don't really need to belive anything that is written in the book to be able to enjoy it. It's still an awesome piece of litterature that can be read as fiction and it is extremely funny as well. But if you do belive what it says though, it will totally blow your mind.

A friend lent this to me and was all like, "dude your life won't be the same after you read this" and I was like "Pffft what ever". I coudn't have been more wrong. Seriously this book has altered my view of the world and relations between people, and I'm only half way through it.

In my opinion all men should read this book. I don't think women will be able to enjoy it on the same level, since alot of things you have to be man to comprehend.

the alchemist, 11 minutes, The Devil and Miss Prym , Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho

Iron Man: The Defiant Reign of Jean Chretien - Volume Two --> a biography about Jean Chrétien by Martin, Laurence

and unfortunatly a school book: Summer of my German Soldier <---- horrbile book

i am reading The Odyssey, greek mythology has peaked my interests.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Hmm, I just finished up an awful book my dad gave me about a lawn guy whose wife is kidnapped. It was called The Husband by Dean Koontz and it is probably the worst book I have read in years. Right now I'm just rereading a few books because buying new ones isn't in my budget right now, and my local library is a 20 minute drive and has an awful selection. If anyone has any suggestions though I'll be looking to pick some up in the near future. I read mostly Sci-fi, and fantasy although good mystery novels are always worth a read. I'v covered most of the staples for fantasy, and the mainstream books for sci-fi; WoT,SoT, Ender's series, Timeline, Crichton, etc. Catch-22 looks good but it wasnt at the last store i went to =\

The early stuff by David Eddings might pique your interest if you haven't read his stuff yet. The Belgariad and Mallorean series might be worth your time (5 books per series). Anything after that may be questionable due to an obvious lack of effort in the storytelling process.

Making out in Japanese. Revised Edition.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

The Master and Margarita. Mikhail Bulgakov. Editorial review:
    Surely no stranger work exists in the annals of protest literature than The Master and Margarita. Written during the Soviet crackdown of the 1930s, when Mikhail Bulgakov's works were effectively banned, it wraps its anti-Stalinist message in a complex allegory of good and evil. Or would that be the other way around? The book's chief character is Satan, who appears in the guise of a foreigner and self-proclaimed black magician named Woland. Accompanied by a talking black tomcat and a "translator" wearing a jockey's cap and cracked pince-nez, Woland wreaks havoc throughout literary Moscow. First he predicts that the head of noted editor Berlioz will be cut off; when it is, he appropriates Berlioz's apartment. (A puzzled relative receives the following telegram: "Have just been run over by streetcar at Patriarch's Ponds funeral Friday three afternoon come Berlioz.") Woland and his minions transport one bureaucrat to Yalta, make another one disappear entirely except for his suit, and frighten several others so badly that they end up in a psychiatric hospital. In fact, it seems half of Moscow shows up in the bin, demanding to be placed in a locked cell for protection.

Meanwhile, a few doors down in the hospital lives the true object of Woland's visit: the author of an unpublished novel about Pontius Pilate. This Master--as he calls himself--has been driven mad by rejection, broken not only by editors' harsh criticism of his novel but, Bulgakov suggests, by political persecution as well. Yet Pilate's story becomes a kind of parallel narrative, appearing in different forms throughout Bulgakov's novel: as a manuscript read by the Master's indefatigable love, Margarita, as a scene dreamed by the poet--and fellow lunatic--Ivan Homeless, and even as a story told by Woland himself. Since we see this narrative from so many different points of view, who is truly its author? Given that the Master's novel and this one end the same way, are they in fact the same book? These are only a few of the many questions Bulgakov provokes, in a novel that reads like a set of infinitely nested Russian dolls: inside one narrative there is another, and then another, and yet another. His devil is not only entertaining, he is necessary: "What would your good be doing if there were no evil, and what would the earth look like if shadows disappeared from it?"
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,
    The 12 Kingdoms, and Soukou no Strain (kinda)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#blood-scanlations~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

someone suggest a few good ww2 spy novels....I've recently been reading alot of Allistar Maclean (author of The Guns of Navarone), and i absolutely love the characters he creates, although all his protagonists are quite similar.

Still, anyhthing resembling his work, or any other ww2/spy novel would be great.

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar
    I just finished Eldest again and started reading the Ender's series. Im done with Ender's Game, and waiting to get Speaker for the Dead.

Right now im reading Farewell to Arms in my English Pre AP class and its an alright book by Earnest Hemmingway. Like everyone reads that in High School. Its about a soldier who is like a loner but then changes for a nurse and becomes more passionate.

@Darkmetal505: Enders series is kickass, you should also read the Tales of Alvin, its the same author Orson Scott Card and the Earth Series.
    No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you when he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher."
    -Mazer Rackham

What Book Are You Reading?

Threads Merged.

mage you're warned, more so than normal because this is essentially breaking the profanity rule as well as contributing absolutely nothing.

The fact that you're not even reading this book, just decided to grab random obscene quotes from it and post it here also is unacceptable.

And as useles of post as this is it certainly belongs in the book thread, not even close to warranting its own thread.

Tread lightly.
    -masa

http://classkc.org/review.php?book=song_of_solomon

I've removed the quotes. They have no purpose here. It might have been different if you'd actually given a topic of discussion relating to them, but just posting them it looks like you're just trying to see how offensive you can be. If anyone is still interested in the quotes, they're found at that link mage gave.
    -Kit
    Last edited by KitKat; Wed, 08-30-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Isn't there a what are you reading now thread. Was this really nmandatory?

It might just be my laziness but, what is the title of this book? I don't see it stated anywhere.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I'm not reading this book, so why would I post in that thread? The title of the book is at the very top of the page - Song of Solomon

- discussions of sex with various animals and plants
    Sounds like a incredibly fun book to read for a 5th grader.

Angels & Demons I finished it last month and it was the best book I have ever read

infidel
    I'm currently reading the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. Never read the book before, and my preconception of the book was completely off compared to what it actually is.

I will admit... I've read HP 7 :P
    ~The imprint is always there... Nothing is ever really forgotten...~
    ~Seduce my mind, and you can have my body
    Find my soul, and I'll be yours forever...~
    ~Signature made by Deadfire~