Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: What Book Are You Reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RE: Good Books recommend?

Anything by Chuck Paulnick is good. If you like Fight Club movie the book is a hundred times better.

well i read a book called a child called it forgot who the author was, but the book was about the authors life and how he had to sttruggle thru child abuse as he grew up, its a really really good book, there are three parts to it tho, the first one is a child called it, the 2nd is called the lost boy i think, and the 3rd one is called a man named dave

what's a book?

I am currently reading Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers guide and
    I would recommend it for a fun read.

If you want a more epic novel try Shogun by James Clavell, its fiction but covers
    alot of Japanese history which is cool!

I would go for the Ender's game series by Orson Scott Card, especially if you're an anime fan (since so many anime's have young geniuses/gifted people going through moral dillemas, love crisises, family problems, ect. and Ender's game/Ender's shadow series goes through all those)... Some of the books I like:
    The Fountainhead by Any Rand (if you're a philosophy type person)...
    LOTR, Hitchhicker's Guide series (duh!),
    Terry Pratchet books (Discworld),
    The Bible (I'm sorry, but I have to mention the #1 best seller of all time, and it has everyone's all time favoritie stories in it too, don't have to be religious to enjoy this book),
    Siddartha by Herman Hesse,
    Shogun by James Clavell,
    London and Sarum by Edward Rutherford
    Most Michael Crichton books
    The adventues of Huckleberry Finn (if you don't know the author to this one, you should go shoot yourself)
    The Art of War (this book has almost 0 entertainment value, but it's a MUST read, Sun Tsu is considered the author but he only recorded most of the wooden tabs that cosist the main body of the content of the books, it's vital you find a good translation/explanatory book, Sun Tsu didn't write the book(s) the translators/commentators did)
    The Republic by Plato

I'm getting too carried away so I'll stop there...

Originally posted by: ANTicz
    I would go for the Ender's game series by Orson Scott Card, especially if you're an anime fan (since so many anime's have young geniuses/gifted people going through moral dillemas, love crisises, family problems, ect. and Ender's game/Ender's shadow series goes through all those)... Some of the books I like:
    The Fountainhead by Any Rand (if you're a philosophy type person)...
    LOTR, Hitchhicker's Guide series (duh!),
    Terry Pratchet books (Discworld),
    The Bible (I'm sorry, but I have to mention the #1 best seller of all time, and it has everyone's all time favoritie stories in it too, don't have to be religious to enjoy this book),
    Siddartha by Herman Hesse,
    Shogun by James Clavell,
    London and Sarum by Edward Rutherford
    Most Michael Crichton books
    The adventues of Huckleberry Finn (if you don't know the author to this one, you should go shoot yourself)
    The Art of War (this book has almost 0 entertainment value, but it's a MUST read, Sun Tsu is considered the author but he only recorded most of the wooden tabs that cosist the main body of the content of the books, it's vital you find a good translation/explanatory book, Sun Tsu didn't write the book(s) the translators/commentators did)
    The Republic by Plato

I'm getting too carried away so I'll stop there...
    The Fountainhead and the Bible???

1 book was written by an ultra-atheist bitch the other is a religious book! which should he read first? lol

The Republic by Plato?!? What you want to put to guy to sleep!

I like fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury and 1984 by Orwell very cool books indeed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

heh, I like to read to expand my view on the world, so I'll read materials that take opposing views and still enjoy both...

As for sleeping, yeah, I guess Plato could be boring for some, but ANY book could be boring for some people... Personally, I think Art of War will put you to sleep faster than The Republic... philosophy books, I mean what can I say, some people can barely read a Dr. Seuss book without falling asleep...

Missing Nin

friends online have been ranting at me to get neuromancer, its a futuristic hacking novel, created the word cyberspace, its a classic and a lot computer geeks i know got deep into computers and the net because of it.

Originally posted by: r3n
    friends online have been ranting at me to get neuromancer, its a futuristic hacking novel, created the word cyberspace, its a classic and a lot computer geeks i know got deep into computers and the net because of it.
    From what I have heard Neuromancer is a cyberpunk novel that helped inspire the Matrix movie.

Im gonna start reading Assimovs The Foundation, i saw the crappy I,Robot film so im gonna wait till it out of my mind before i start reading i.robot book.

Hurray for readers of DragonLance! Read about 10 DL books so far, all owned. Waiting for some to be realeased, too busy to read others.

However my favorite series of all time would have to be The Incarnations of Immortality. Total pwnage. Everything you ever want!
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

I read a psychotic amount of books when I'm not at college, enough that I have to re-read books 3-4 times to save money.

Definitely pick up both "Ender's" series by Orson Scott Card. The 4 book Ender saga really delves into metaphysics in the later two books and gets pretty interesting. The Bean series, starting with Ender's Shadow is another great series, focusing more on international politics and war. Good strategy stuff and covers things like genetic manipulation.

Also on the sci-fi stint is Starship Troopers. If you've seen the movie, don't even think to associate it with this book. It's got tons of great military philosophy and is more about responsibility than anything else. It actually changed my political views completely.

Prey and State of Fear by Michael Crichton are also great books. State of Fear has gotten a lot of flak lately for it's stance on global warming, but that's really not the point of the book. The great moral of the story is summarized by a professor in one of the later chapters. Read it for yourself if you're curious. (A part of it is checking the facts yourself and making your own opinions.)

If you want more fantasy stuff, try some of the novels by Kelley Armstrong. The first book is about werewolves and is entitled Bitten. I really like her writing style and her books are among some of my favorites.

Along that same vein are the books by Kim Harrison. They're a little flakier than Kelley Armstrong's, but I liked them just the same.

If you want a really weird book, read House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. The story starts with a family who notices their house is larger on the inside than it is on the outside. It just goes crazy from there. The pages are written insanely (upside down, sideways, in strange margins and patterns). It's like reading nothing else.

Also, you might as well try some collected works of Nietzsche. Personally, I like the ones laid out in aphorisms and Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

YAY another Orson Scott Card fan, I recommend you to read his Homecoming series believe me its a kick ass book. His other Tales of Alvin maker another good series of his, but I suggest you start out with The Ender series.

Plus he is the only author to win both Hugo and Nebula awards in his consecutive years as a writer.
    Last edited by Paulyboy; Tue, 10-24-2006 at 05:59 PM.
    No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you when he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher."
    -Mazer Rackham

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    ... merged.

And I'm currently reading a delictable little treat called Fluctuating Fortunes. The Political Power of Business in America. Obviously non-fiction, and Dave Vogel does a pretty good job pulling the history of big business, lobbying and US politics into a bearable reading.

...but yeah, would much rather be reading a novel or playing video games, but this last year of college is abusing me. guess i shouldn't complain that I can actually enjoy some of the books they make me read in pursuit of the ghost of higher learning.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

on the subject of orson scott card, i fell in love with ender's game when i read it in grade 10, and have read it countless times since. ender's shadow is awesome too, and the only reason i haven't read it as many times as ender's game is because it came out later. actually, i love most of what orson scott card has written. for series, i also recommend the homecoming saga, and for standalones, enchantment.

anyway, i just finished reading patrick o'leary's "the gift" not too long ago, which is a wonderfully written piece of literature. i highly recommend it. right now i'm reading harry potter and the chamber of secrets. i'll soon be starting ender's game again, since we're starting that in my english class in a while.

What Book(s) are you reading?

I am currently reading "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It is a masterpiece of work in my opinion. I prefer the translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.

Here's a quck synopsis of the book:

"The Brothers Karamazov is a murder mystery, a courtroom drama, and an exploration of erotic rivalry in a series of triangular love affairs involving the 'wicked and sentimental' Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov and his three sons -- the impulsive and sensual Dmitri; the coldly rational Ivan; and the healthy, red-cheeked young novice Aloysha. Through the gripping events of their story, Dostoevsky portrays the whole Russian life, its social and spiritual strivings, in what was both the golden age and a tragic turning point in Russian culture."
    --taken from R.P. and L.V.'s translation of his story.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. It touches on several themes, especially focusing on that of Religion and God. It gave me one interesting new aspect that I failed to take notice of in Jesus' life. I know not everyone is Christian, but it goes beyond Christianity and appeals on all levels of religion in my opinion when it touches on the theme of the existence of an omnipotent being.

My next book is The "DaVinci Code." I know I'm a little back tracked on that book [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

i think i want to read the gundam seed novel but i don't want to pay for it...

I'm currrently reading Da Vinci Code. Its seems kind of boring...maybe thats because I'm only up to page 6.....but yeah I heard it was the greatest book ever so yeah. cool. Go read it.

Rereading The Vampire Lestat and just finished Angels and Demons a few weeks ago...Perhaps If the lazybug gets off'a me I'll also read Da Vinci Code.