Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School System in US/Canada?

You're Canadians, now i want to see some american's, or maybe it's the same system there, comon, littlecooldude, rock lee etc..

schools are poor in U.S. the war hella cut the teachers pays and the programs were murdered. there were good programs to. thats all i can say.

Public schools in the US suck balls. My school's capacity is around 1000 people but we have 3000. Damn Bush. Trying to get rid of free education.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jing @ Feb 26 2004, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Come to Canada, the school systems are alot harder than US.
    all my teacher says that gr 12. in canada is like university stuff in the US.
    come n be challenged </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
    does your teacher also say that whenever a missing gas cap is found, an angel gets its wings? (sorry, old Rocko reference)

As far as i know, the education system between US and Canada is about the same.
    Although im from the US and personally i&#39;d like to see how long you&#39;d have lasted with MY 12th grade classes
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (itachi_ @ Feb 26 2004, 01:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> You&#39;re Canadians, now i want to see some american&#39;s, or maybe it&#39;s the same system there, comon, littlecooldude, rock lee etc.. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
    its pretty much the same, in junior high u go from 6th to the 8th grade then after that, ur a freshman in highschool mean the ninth grade, then teh year after that ur a sophomore thats the tenth grade and after that ur a junior, mean 11th grade teh ur a senior and thast about ur last year in high school, then if u want to u can go to college and get ur college degrees and shit and tehy will get u some whre good in the future. but lately the war fuked up our skewls bc we had massive budget cuts, and some skewls even went on strike, my skewls about tobbe closed down, and now i have to find anoether one to go to, this suks so much ass

i dont know where you guys are getting these war/budget problems from....i havent seen anything like that around here
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

DUno about others =) but in NY PUBLIC school

elementry= k-5 Age 5-10ish
    Middle/junor high= 6-8 Age 11-13ish
    high=9-12 Age 14-18+

High school goes by
    Freshman
    sophmore
    junor
    senor
    SUPER senor (30% of senor become)
    Super super senor ( 10ish% of super senor)
    And mega senor (dont happen often)

And I dont kno y ppl say public school in US sux... i personally think its mad good. In my school Teachers DONT GIVE A SHIT about wat u do. and we can cut all we want. Also in lunch we gamble, fight, and play rap music all day. its all good. When u see someone u kno give em a pound and say &quot;sup son&quot; or &quot;yo nigga&quot;. Life in Public school is very good. I mean SURE we aint gonna be in college but who gives a dam on wats gonna happen in 4 years. For all we kno US aint gonna be here in 4 years. All we worry about is when we gettin laid.

As the old saying goes (to me anyway): If we the future the future is screwed&#33;

Well i wasn&#39;t talking about the war. Its just that Bush puts very little money into public education. Basically he&#39;s trying to get rid of free education. I guess it depends on this; would you rather have a super strong army but have stupid citizens. Or would you rather have a moderately strong army (that is still stronger than any other countries army) and have smart citizens.

I want to go to Canada and play Icehockey... they&#39;re good at it ..

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (itachi_ &#064; Feb 26 2004, 06:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I want to go to Canada and play Icehockey... they&#39;re good at it .. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
    u never know, u might become the next Matts Sundin

To assrtnfailure: my school is top 10 in canada, so i think maybe my teacher got abit cocky lol.

dont complain about bush...take it down one level...governor&#33; i&#39;m a californian... i have arnold.... education here is being cut back like crazy&#33;

The war itself never cut the teacher&#39;s pay. From what I&#39;ve seen with the schools, they are exactly the same now that my brother is there than when I was there. My school inparticular (and most that I know of in this area) have problems with severe misallocations of money to different departments.

Anyways, there are several different ways that it can go in the U.S. (may be more). Kindergarten is still started about age 5 and is the start of elementary school, but then it changes.

First Scenario:

Grade K-5 - Elementary School
    Grade 6-8 - Middle School
    Grade 9-12 - High School

Second Scenario:

Grade K-6 - Elementary School
    Grade 7-8 - Junior High
    Grade 9 -12 - Senior High

In small towns you may have several different schools combined into one. They may only have an Elementary school that goes from Grades K-8 and then a high school for Grades 9-12, or they may have all the grades in the same school. I&#39;ve also heard rumors of U.S. high schools that have grades 10-12 and that 9th grade is included in the junior high, but I&#39;ve never had that confirmed.

Each state and county in the U.S. has a seperate School Board, so it can get a bit awkward.

Regarding &quot;Junior&quot; status, there are four titles that normally refer to High School students, but may also refer to Junior High, Middle School, or College students.

1st Year at that school - Freshman
    2nd Year at that school - Sophomore
    3rd Year at that school - Junior
    4th Year at that school - Senior

If the school only has three grades, drop the sophomore status. If the school only has two grades, drop the sophomore and junior statuses.

I graduated high school when I was 17, so I would say that you would probably be a senior in high school, but as the others were saying, it all depends on when you were born in the year.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TeLeKiNeSiS @ Feb 26 2004, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> dont complain about bush...take it down one level...governor&#33; i&#39;m a californian... i have arnold.... education here is being cut back like crazy&#33; </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
    ey i want the governator as my governor&#33; better than pataki (ny govnor) and its not the govnor falt its the mayor =P

Come to Canada, the school systems are alot harder than US.
    all my teacher says that gr 12. in canada is like university stuff in the US.
    come n be challenged

in dirty eastern canada u have to take french while the greater western providences dont have to such as alberta

About 3 years ago, back then our class was visiting Thunder Bay, the first impression was &quot;what&#39;s going on, eh ?&quot;

In the US most people graduate high school at 17-18 depending on when your birth date is or if you went to preschool. Each state is different, but k-8 ( grades) general education. Earth sciences, computer concepts, English classes math classes, life studies, art classes and 1-3 years of foreign language.

Grades 9-12 they require x number of classes in a specific field,
    7english classes
    6 science
    6 math
    4 computer/arts
    5 world history/geography
    4 life studies
    4 P/E
    2 foreign languages
    2: elective… drama class, rocket club, chess club, public speaking, debate, public service.. various classes that you chose as a creative outlet.

During high school you might have 4 free class spots to pick up extra classes or to master a second language…. Or you could pick not to have a class at all and have a study period.

You can chose of what type i.e. 7 English classes, but you could take more if you wanted. You might have 20 english classes to chose from; some might have other classes as a prerequisite, but if you can clear a high enough placement score sometimes they let you in either way.

Most of my cousins are from Canada. The Us and Canada have similar education systems. From what I understand the average Canadian pre university school is equal with like a magnet school or a large city school in the us. Both Canada and the US have prep schools and private schools. Also many Canadian schools will have what would be an a-p class at a public Us high school as a normal roster list class without a displacement grade point.

With most Canadian universities having less money to recruit good professors and offer the latest technologies a few of my cousins ended up coming here to the states for their choices in higher level education. They all ended up with huge tuition costs. Being Canadian born they weren’t eligible for a lot of scholarships and financial aid, 1 of them is going to Yale medical and 2 of them are going to Nichols.

At 17 provided you’re from an English speaking country or have taken 3 or more years of it you should be ready for university. If you were natively from Canada but moved, and planned to go to school there you would have the advantage of a far cheaper education, but if not you’ll end up paying high international fees going to Canada or the US.

I&#39;m a little bit curious about the school-system in US/Canada, could someone tell me a little bit about it

I&#39;m 17 where would I go if I was there ?? it&#39;s confusing with all this junior/senior stuff, explain someone?

you would be in gr 11 or maybe 12, it would depend on your b-day and when you were entered into to school, so you would be a senior.

In Canada it goes:

Midget&gt;Junior&gt;Senior

[21:48] * DO furiously masturbates to #gotwoot

Isn&#39;t there something called Highschool and after that Collage? 17 is Highschool, right? junior, eh?