Thread: may be a dumb question

thanks for telling me the extra port range, i actually just realized them in the preferences menu for the client, so my bad there...i opened the extras, and its still going really slow, so i think im gonna get rid of Shad0w's client and go back to the regular 3.3...i shouldn't have messed with a good thing, lol

i had the original BT 3.3, and I opened the ports. i usually get between 200-300 kb/s everytime i dl something. Recently, i got Shad0w's experimental client to see what it was like, but now im lucky to even get 100kb/s...are there oher ports, or am i just getting worried about nothing but a slow server here?

The difference between Shad0ws client and the original client is that the original client only uses up to 9 ports (by default) while Shad0ws client uses up to 119 by default (I think... or that might have been caused by Burst&#33. This determines how many simultaneous BT transfers you can have going at the same time.

If you are interested in exact port numbers, the original BT client uses 6881-6889, and Shad0ws client (or Burst! or whatnot) uses 6881-6999.

The slowdown you notice seem strange - have you tried downloading the same torrent (or restarting it) with the original client? Oh, and note that when you connect to a torrent with more than 40-60 seeders/leechers you will get a random selection of seeders/leechers from the server (probably using some sort of load-balancing algorithm).

Sarf
    ---
    Occam was never the target of a conspiracy.

Strange. I have noticed little difference between Shad0ws client and the original client. Oh well, I'll test it myself (and I'll thank you properly if I get better speeds too ).

Just a last minute note - you can do some pretty strange/advanced thing with Shad0ws client - check out the preferences and fiddle around with them a bit to see if you can get better performance.

Sarf
    ---
    It's an Elder Thing -- you wouldn't understand.

I've been testing this out - it really seems as if BT v3.3 is faster... but I still want all the fuzzy gadgets of Shad0ws client!

Oh well... now I get my daily dose of fully legal material faster - thanks!

Sarf
    ---
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.