Thread: parent directory?

just a website related question.
    how would i make a link, that lists all the files uploaded onto an account that you have on one of those free website host things (i.e. fortunecity.com)
    something like this

would it be possible to create that solely using html??

Your example is created automatically by the webserver (probably Apache), and since most webhosting-places don't like to be used as dropsites, they do not provide this service.

However, you might find DIR2HTML useful. Simply move the files you have uploaded to the webhosting to a certain directory, make a HTML index page of that webpage (check the Make links. prefix box) and you should get an index page with the stuff you want.

Sarf
    ---
    Question Authority -- and the authorities will question you.

hmm... i tried dir2html, its exactly what i was talking about.. but i cant seem to get it to work with files i uploaded onto a webserver. it works fine with directories that are on my computer, but does it work with a link too?? (i.e. http://whatever.com/myself/files )

thanks for the help, btw

EDIT: oh wow.. i figured it out.. im not as stupid as i thought i was
    EDIT#2: it seems to be alot of manual work involved in this... i was hoping that something out there could automate all this.. so all i do is upload onto the webserv and load up something, click on another thing, and blam.. it automatically updates the index.html... am i dreaming up a new program.. or is there something out there that could save my lazy @ss

Well, I'd recommend getting an account on an Apache server (with normal settings). Apache generates a directory page like the one you showed by default (i.e. if there is no "index.html/php/htm/asp/snork" page to show the user).

Since most people who put stuff on webpages have control over their webserver, there aren't exactly a whole lotta demand for the kind of tool you mention. Also, there is no (protocol) support for seeing what files are in a directory of a webserver, thus the kind of tool you want can't easily be created.

Sorry, but DIR2HTML is still your best bet

Sarf
    ---
    Darwin's Law of Carcinogens: Cancer cures smoking.