307477.jpg

"Sakuragi Kana is an excellent candidate for the job. Any job! She's motivated and organized, and has a fantastic memory. So why has she interviewed at over 15 companies without receiving a single offer? She's trying to keep a positive attitude, but it seems like her bad luck is only getting worse when a monster crashes her latest interview. As havoc ensues, she finds herself helping the magical girl who comes to their rescue and ends up with more than just her life in return. Meet the newest magical girl at Magilumiere Magical Girls Inc.!

Source: Viz"

Genre(s): Magical girls, Work, Action

Research

So far, I like it. The commodification of anime tropes is usually a winning formula for me, and this is no different. I don't expect to unravel the origin or purpose behind the "Kaii" monsters, but this is not that kind of show. It is about seeing the underdog start-up compete with the 'big boys' of the industry as essentially supernatural pest control.

Kana is a good lead, but the real star of the show for me is Hitomi. She is such a breath of fresh air without being an embarrassing, abrasive musclehead. At a glance, she has all the coding of the "yankee" delinquent type who is all brawn and no brains, but thankfully is not. She knows what needs to be done and doesn't sweat the small stuff... except for the important small stuff. She can listen to orders and doesn't pick a fight with everyone she sees (except for one girl who rubs her the wrong way), but keeps the campy fun of declaring she's gonna "murdalize" the monsters. She is definitely a tough gal, but doesn't wear it on her sleeve and can hold a proper conversation like an adult. Pardon the pun, but her character really hits different than the typical 'aloof fighter senpai', and she maintains some of the femininity that makes magical girls so endearing. A perfect, positive foil for Kana to work with. The rest of the company is so-so, but they don't detract, and there are already rumblings of interactions with other firms. Magi-girl man-boss is kinda funny.

As for weaknesses, the animation goes hard in the first episode, but peters back to reality from 2 onward, and they are already reusing transformation scenes to pad time (though they are pretty good transformation scenes). The fights are also not very technical- the kind where they are instantly decided once the thematic conflict is neatly wrapped up- so not particularly satisfying.

Overall, a solid recommend for now... This could get very fun.