Thread: Uzumaki

Uzumaki

n the town of Kurouzu-cho, Kirie Goshima lives a fairly normal life with her family. As she walks to the train station one day to meet her boyfriend, Shuuichi Saito, she sees his father staring at a snail shell in an alley. Thinking nothing of it, she mentions the incident to Shuuichi, who says that his father has been acting weird lately. Shuuichi reveals his rising desire to leave the town with Kirie, saying that the town is infected with spirals.

But his father's obsession with the shape soon proves deadly, beginning a chain of horrific and unexplainable events that causes the residents of Kurouzu-cho to spiral into madness.

-------------------
    -------------------

Episode 1:

So I read the manga and I think this is one of those cases where manga is a lot better. This first episode was okay, but I can't help but feel that Junji Ito-stories always drift off towards comedy when adaptated to anime, whereas the manga is truly unsettling and scary.

Still, anyone who refuses to read the manga will probably have a "good" time with this anime.

Not a fan of the black and white, though.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Episode 4:

Well, at this point I'm willing to say that Junji Ito only works in manga form.

These 4 episodes were somewhat easy to watch, but instead of horror, it felt more like comedy due to the absurdity. I remember when I read this as a manga, I felt completely different about it. With how shitty previous Junji Ito-anime adaptations were, I say: Stop trying.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

My understanding is that the first episode was really good, but then their budget was cut off, so the last 3 were made with no money.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    My understanding is that the first episode was really good, but then their budget was cut off, so the last 3 were made with no money.
    I heard people say that, but I can't agree. There were 2-3 scenes in episode 2 that looked "cheap", but I think that was just intented that way. Episode 3 and 4 look no different from episode 1.

Budget has nothing to do with my impression, it would have come off as comedy either way.