Thread: 2.5 Jigen no Ririsa

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

2.5 Jigen no Ririsa

303839.jpg

"* Based on a romantic cosplay comedy manga by Hashimoto Yuu.

"I have no interest in real girls!" So claims Okumura, the president of the school's manga club. He's your typical otaku, obsessed with a sexy (fictional) 2D manga character known as Liliel. Then the new school year starts, and a (real!) 3D girl named Ririsa whose passion is cosplay joins the club. Ririsa convinces Okumura to become her photographer–and guess who her favorite manga character is? Not only that, but Ririsa is into modeling the fetishy stuff! The boundaries between 2D and 3D start to blur as this hot-blooded romantic comedy unfolds.

Source: Seven Seas Entertainment"

Genre(s): Cosplay, Romance

Research

I know there is discussion of this already in the seasonal thread (I'm a bit behind), but here's my two cents. I've read much of the manga, and when I began this, I was immediately annoyed by the otaku exchanges that rolled my eyes in the manga. I almost immediately thought that while I enjoyed the series, this wasn't a story I needed to experience again... But by the end of episode 2, with the introduction of Mikari, a glimmer of hope shone through. Not because she is some great waifu (all the girls are, of course), but because I need some counterbalance to the otaku Lilliel worship- it's just tiring for me.

Setting aside if any of this is realistic or weather Ririsa is a manic Pixie Dream girl (a conversation we had during Dress up Darling as well), I am confident to call this story utterly contrived. Otaku-kun hates 3d girls- introduce a girl who is basically 2d! Model comes to school- surprise, she knows Otaku-kun from before and has a mega-crush! We suspect these may not be the last coincidences in 2.5d seduction. Nothing is earned and nobody learns anything above shallow platitudes so it (the story) just doesn't mean anything or have weight like DUD at least tried to.

Animation is serviceable, character designs on point, and the pacing isn't half bad. There's plenty to like here, I just don't fully jive with otaku celebrations in anime as I grow increasingly disillusioned by Otaku culture in general, but that's another conversation.

I'm actually on the other side, completely.
    without getting into manga spoilers, I believe that if you're gonna do an otaku celebration, do it big, go wild, 200% and beyond.

which is what I'm looking forward to, I think the normal girls are fine, but I really like the full melodrama arcs.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    That is what I'm looking forward to more- melodrama to propel the romance. Anime (even bad anime) can sell melodrama more often than not.

The whole 'that's what otakus do, tee hee!' schtick doesn't resonate with me like it once did, and you're right: I think I would be more entertained if they went more over the top into complete absurdist territory, but the show comes off as pandering as is; taking the wrong parts too seriously. "My whole personality is just how much I love this obscure thing!" hasn't aged too well, but I do remember that isn't the complete driving force of the show.

episode 5, the cosplay community part. I'm pretty sure those are all things that happen to people.

also, mega-zoned. both of them.

episode 6. it's nice how he's acting when Mikari is in cosplay.

now there's some school drama.

(in other note, I was supposed to be at some convention last week, but I had to skip out because my back hurt. NGL, pretty disappointed)

episode 7:
    was that a fist of the north star reference on the board when he's talking to the gay-coded teacher? or just the ursa major constellation? it's also in the club-room whiteboard.

I like how everybody is actually positive, nobody is out to get them, there aren't any obstacles for the sake of drama obstacles. I can totally understand why the teacher wouldn't want to continue cosplaying or be reluctant to engage with them.
    I do know some cosplayers which did Disney/marvel characters and would do hospital visits. they were all very beautiful and outgoing people, so it worked out fine. no idea if Disney legal team would allow it, though.

Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

episode 9: some feelings drama. but still nice.

episode 10, the most feels to ever be felt. best so far.