Thread: Mayonaka Punch

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Mayonaka Punch

304738.jpg

"Meet Masaki, the now former member of the popular NewTuber group, Harikiri Sisters. After a career setback, aka getting fired unexpectedly via a livestream, she joins forces with Live, a partner with superhuman abilities. Together, they aim to create sensational content and reach 1 million subscribers. Will they reach their content dreams or be hit with the block button?

Source: Crunchyroll"

Genre(s): Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama

Research

Looks madcap, but it really isn't. P.A. works doin' its thing again. I wonder why they are so fixated on unlikable heroines these last few years? As if in rebellion to the cute girls doing thing shows of the past, Masaki and her new vampire cronies are approaching Konosuba level jerks... well, more flawed, really.

Anyway, the premise of a violent youtuber getting axed from her channel and being traumatized by mean video comments works pretty well as we simply don't see this kind of story very often in Anime- at least non-isekai hero party anime... While I'm a little off put by the cynical nature of optimizing content creation as it seems fairly insulting to the audience by itself (see the youtube fight show last season), I can appreciate the craft involved in making content people want to see.

I'm strangely optimistic about how this will play out now that super powers are off the table- gotta earn them views the old fashioned way!

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    3-4

Tokage is exactly what this show needed to begin reaching its full potential. Masaki is forceful, and the other girls are too passive or unmotivated to oppose her antics, so another catty, rough and tumble character to butt heads with her over stupid things can sustainably entertain, I expect, buying the show enough time to dig into the deeper character drama like Fuu's heartbreak in episode 4.

I was surprised how much I laughed during these two episodes. Slapstick/goofball has never been P.A. Works trademark, but is put to great use here. Garlic eating was a gas.

Lets hope the creativity for video keeps up as well.