289645.jpg

"* Based on an isekai fantasy light novel written by Hirukuma and illustrated by Katou Itsuwa.

A middle-aged man with only one passion in his life meets a fitting end in a traffic accident. That's where most stories would end, but instead, this is when his story begins when he's reborn as what he admired the most in life--a vending machine! But his new lease on life(?) happens in the worst place possible--what can a vending machine do in a monster-infested dungeon when he can't speak or even move on his own?"

Genre(s): Isekai

1-2

Vending machine isekai... is it better if I lament on the state of humankind, meme on what is obviously PEAK FICTION, question the broken creative process that must have conspired to birth this or... just talk about the show?

As Bakuman once posited, the most important part of a story is for it to be interesting, and so far this almost that. It strikes a palatable (pun) balance of not taking itself too seriously while imposing problems that only a magic vending machine in a dungeon could handle. Some small hooks are there about magic tools and their creation, but I'm beyond dubious that this story will have legs (pun) beyond simple slice of life for this season. Some of the ideas are neat, like limiting his speech to some pre-recorded phrases that thankfully his best customer/guardian picks up on quickly, and his trash self-cleans for a dose of eye rolling convenience. In the end this is just another 'modern Japanese comforts in a medieval world' show, so take this praise with a grain of salt... I wouldn't coin it (pun) as a fantasy adventure just yet. At least it won't become a harem.... right?