Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Oshi no Ko

Episode 13

- - - - -

Scriptwriter's nightmare. That being said, after all the braindead American script/screenwriters in RL, I have got no respect left for the profession. Too bad, so sad, GOA.

Watching this episode, I started wondering if Ruby has any role whatsoever in the whole season. Not that I'd mind plenty of chances for Arima and Aqua to interact. I don't even mind Akane, either, surprising myself. In fact watching Arima's reaction to Aqua and Akane simply talking about stuff was good fun. Although since I don't believe Aqua+Akane will last, and Akane herself understands that, it's also pretty sad. He means a lot to Akane, but she's fighting a losing battle. Aqua isn't even trying to hide it in particular, which must be like a knife stab between her ribs every time. Yet I'd still like Aqua and Arima to get together soon.

no money for animation, eh?

this felt weird, we got the theater entrance scene here, but we already so the reversals starting last week. this is what I meant when I said I needed some sort of in-universe recap. we started the season mid-action and now we go back. I expect it was so we could have the drop at the end of the first episode. the problem is that all the time skipping made it feel like they jut started rehearsals this day, rather than being in the middle of it.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

What's going on?

I wasn't bored during this episode, but there was ZERO plot progression. Instead of Aqua's mission, it was a full-on side story about script writing. WTF. I at least expected the script writer to commit suicide or something which would have upped the drama, but no, nothing.

Also Abiko is a cunt and I hope she gets her comeuppance.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I predict that Abiko will run into problems as she can't adapt manga to a script, then she'll end up somehow liasing directly with the GAO to produce one together. Somehow Aqua is going to involved in smoothing this out between them.

You can see why she's pissed, and how Chinese Whispers was largely to blame. This highlights the negatives of Japanese bureaucracy quite well I think, as well as the detriment of keeping things polite and tame in the wrong circumstance.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    You can see why she's pissed, and how Chinese Whispers was largely to blame. This highlights the negatives of Japanese bureaucracy quite well I think, as well as the detriment of keeping things polite and tame in the wrong circumstance.
    It most certainly was to blame. A crazy system (a chain of people) for a thing that didn't need any system in the first place. Abiko and GAO could have talked face to face from the beginning, or chat to chat, but instead those paper-pushers had to be between them for no reason but to employ themselves. The men-and-women-in-the-middle ended up ruining the whole thing, yet it was other people who are bearing the consequences and suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    I wasn't bored during this episode, but there was ZERO plot progression. Instead of Aqua's mission, it was a full-on side story about script writing. WTF. I at least expected the script writer to commit suicide or something which would have upped the drama, but no, nothing.
    I'm pretty sure that the series itself is more interested in showing the entertainment industry than in either the reincarnation or the murder. movies, idols, reality show, tv production and now theater.

Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

I wasn't bored during this episode
    I sure was.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the series itself is more interested in showing the entertainment industry than in either the reincarnation or the murder. movies, idols, reality show, tv production and now theater.
    That's bad then, because the mystery is the exciting premise of this show.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

That's bad then, because the mystery is the exciting premise of this show.
    Aqua only joined this stage production to get info from the person who might know something about Ai's dalliances. So, what do you expect to happen before he has any chance to get that info? He needs to be patient and do what has to be done to get that info. Presently, it's his only lead.

Anyway, this is a showbiz series. Aqua is the only one trying to do something else, of all the cast. Even Ruby has no such interests. She's trying to make it big in the idol business, following Ai's footsteps. So, obviously this isn't going to be all about solving a crime, like an episode of Derrick or Der Alte. Rather, the author has decided to make minimal progress with the mystery, dosing it sparingly over the series, with the focus being on the entertainment industry. It's kind of like a thing that's supposed to make this series a little bit different compared to most showbiz titles, but in the end this still is a showbiz title.

That does seem to be the show's MO.

*Aqua spends 10 episodes navigating some aspect of the entertainment industry*
    *Learns 2 minute scrap of information about Ai at the end*
    *repeat*

It wouldn't be so bad if the industry drama at least included one of the established main characters, be it Aqua, his sister, Arima or Akane. But no, this episode was all about some random scriptwriter and a new "eccentric" (read: fuck annoying) mangaka.

Episode 14

- - - - - -

So, Ruby is still alive. I bet the author inserted that scene just to show it. It's not like it would have had much of a purpose otherwise.

A pretty harsh episode otherwise, toward uncompromising manga artists. Everybody knows weekly manga is torture at its best, yet Abiko has decided to make things even worse for herself, hurting others on the side as well. That being said, the episode was basically punching manga editors in the face. They deserve every fracture and bruise. Worthless people. The only worse people in that industry are light novel editors. They should be replaced with an AI already. Even the undeveloped AIs of today would do better work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    So, Ruby is still alive. I bet the author inserted that scene just to show it. It's not like it would have had much of a purpose otherwise.
    I mean, they explain it pretty well. She's part of an idol group, and one of the group is working at the other end of the plot right now. So there's nothing she can really be doing right now.

Still waiting for season 2 to start ...

animation was especially bad this episode, which is ironic, considering this is basically a dialog about adaptation.
    In theory, I love this part, since [Oshi no Ko] itself is a collaboration of two creators, so this should be a reflection of what they think about one another. but the series quality dropped, so it didn't land much.

episode 15.
    animation mid, translation bad, subtitles awful.

but akane makes up for everything. of all the best girls, she clearly is one.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Akane still isn't freed from the curse of being a potential Ai replacement. She has the skills and personality to pull it off and maybe that's why we have Ai in the OP. She's not Ai, she's Akane's version of Ai, maybe.
    But I admitt that seeing Akane's inner genius profiling activating was thrilling. Double star eyes, she's the real deal!

Arima still is best girl material on so many levels, just that her tsun traits keep her a little too far from Aqua.
    And now we have yet another detective...

I

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Arima is the best match for Aqua. Emotionally she's the plus to his minus.

This is despite my actually liking Akane more overall because she's pretty and she has a milder and less abrasive personality that I prefer personally.

I wonder if Akane realised how weird it is for a teenage boy to call their mum by their first name like that though.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 07-24-2024 at 01:27 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

"I am Batman."

Akane is best girl by far. Arima is such an unlikeably try-hard and her cynicism sucks. Akane is both more pure-hearted and has crazy abilities. And she's simply infinitely hotter, k.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I wonder if Akane realised how weird it is for a teenage boy to call their mum by their first name like that though.
    Ai was a teen mother, maybe she didn't like being called "mom!" and preferred to think of herself as still young. maybe it was orders from the boss, so even if someone catches her and the kids together, she could still claim deniability?

we know it's not true, but I'll argue anyway.