Thread: Shinmai Renkinjutsushi no Tenpo Keiei

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Shinmai Renkinjutsushi no Tenpo Keiei

275324.jpg

"* Based on a fantasy light novel series written by Itsuki Mizuho and illustrated by Fuumi.

Orphaned Sarasa just graduated from the Royal Alchemist Academy, and that means her longed-for life of elegance and riches is close at hand! As a graduation gift, her teacher gifts her a house to set up shop — but Sarasa's dilapidated new digs are beyond far-flung. What's a novice alchemist to do when they're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a business to run and supplies to gather from a very dangerous natural world? Whether it's facing down frightening fantasy creatures or finding creative ways to attract customers, Sarasa has her work cut out for her as she achieves her dream of becoming the greatest alchemist around!

Source: HIDIVE"

Genre(s): Fantasy, Slice of life, Action

1-3

I watched two episodes... and wanted to see what would happen in the third. I can't give greater praise to low hanging fruit like this. The first episode takes its time detailing essentially the synopsis above, but is still entertaining. Little girl is orphaned, possibly due to foul play (which isn't touched on again), and decides to become an alchemist to live a better life. Fast forward five years and the drama is in her attempt at a spartan alchemy license practicum where she predictably passes and returns 'home' to her two middle aged single lady friends/mother/mentor figures. She is then whisked away into a predetermined entrepreneurship in a far away village.

The second episode is where this got its hooks in me, where the typically backseated supporting cast got a good amount of time to shine. Social anxiety was thankfully absent, as Sarasa is a well adjusted orphan. The villagers have some charm and give off some real 'feel good' vibes.

The third episode brings an interesting discussion on the value of treatment and the sustainability of professional resources for the betterment of all. Essentially, an adventurer (called a gatherer) is brought in near death, and the first thing Sarasa plainly discusses with her party is the exorbitant cost of the treatment she will need for a full recovery. Some of the members understandably complain about her callousness instead of focusing on the immediate need for treatment. They relent, and later Sarasa explains in her terms why she can't simply heal, for free, everyone who comes to her door. It's an interesting framing for an uncommon theme in anime, so it piqued my interest. The rest of the episode slides into some power fantasy, but nothing too egregious, and the village is given some more opportunity to build its character, so to speak with everyone helping out for a crisis. So far, this is worth a look as a cute girls doing something show.

It's basically "I started at max level in an Atelier-lite game because I went to school and apprenticed under a master", and I'm all for it.

The action in Eps 3 was kinda stupid, but that's not the type of series it is aiming to be. I've had much better shoujo fantasy action, and much worse.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Yeah, the action cuts came out of nowhere and clashed a bit, but didn't ultimately detract for me because there were some nice frames in there.

She really doesn't have to also be a master swordsman/fighter, but so long as the show doesn't dwell on it, nether will I.