Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upcoming Anime Season: Fall 2022

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Or have ninja mask always been covid masks! And that's why ninjas don't get covid!
    I always thought they don't get covid because it can't see them.

I picked it up because there isn't much of anything on my list for the middle of the week, but Mushikaburi Hime is a pleasant historically romance combined with a mystery of some kind (too soon to tell what). Whatever they're hinting at that the main character isn't noticing due to her bibliophile proclivities has me intrigued enough to keep following it.

The setup of Fuufu Ijou, Koibito Miman could not possibly be more forced. I made it 11 minutes into the episode, and I skimmed through 4 of that to see if it would get better. It doesn't.

Dedicated dorms, algorithm scoring based on remote biometrics readings. They try to acknowledge in the intro that the school has this "insane" project as a mandatory graduation requirement, but it is so absurdly above and beyond the real-world robot infant school projects that there is no feasible way for me to even buy into the premise in the first place. Why would a school like this even be allowed to exist in what is presumably the real world Japan?!

The only thing it has going for it is that is so bad, it made me appreciate Kanojo mo Kanojo's simplicity and execution of their own absurd premise that much more.

Yeah.... the character acting is really bad as well.
    Unless there is something more "sinister" going on I don't know what this show wants to do. The characters behave in a way other shows make fun about.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Blueballs experiment: what is the absolute limit a teenager can cope with blueballing....

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

The ninja show is amazingly stupid. Only in Japan can trash like this get enough money to be produced - wtf is that setting
    Worst
    Show of the season

I just wish it would be consistent at anything.

Kosetsu can't save this, and there certainly hasn't been enough of her proportionally to do so even if she could.

Dropped.

Muv-Luv 14

Okay... they bailed out of and wasted the best opportunity to kill off a character (in this case, MC) in an unexpected way that would direct the whole story of the show in a very curious direction. They instead went for a cheap, forced scenario that was so bad that you couldn't help but think "since this is anime, *this* is probably going to happen instead" - and well, it did.

I will give this show one more episode, just to see if they will timetravel or some shit to redo that last scene

If not, it's dropped - It felt so cheap that it almost made me angry. It's as if the show said straight to your face "look, you are dumb for watching this and expecting something, lmao, here is how we want to pleasure your room temperature IQ".
    I never felt so underestimated in my life, lol.

Meh.... I have no clue why I can stomach the most stupid shows and get a giggle out of them, yet can't do the same with these typical "oH mY gAwsh, wE KilLeD tHiS ChArActer - ThIs Is SuPpOsed tO ShOcK yOu"-moments.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 10-12-2022 at 04:20 PM.

I gave Bocchi the Rock a try after I was informed that it wasn't a clone of SHOW by ROCK or series like it.

It's more like the later series' of K-ON where they do more than just hang at the school, except there's actual music, including random unamped jingles where the lead is singing to herself. The lead has significant social anxiety, but she's actually funny instead of the moeblob social anxiety trend of late, capitalizing on meek cool/cute beauties. She's a jumpy nervous wreck, and not a klutz thankfully. The presentation of social anxiety hits home too, rather than the Komi-san style flood of friendships once the series starts. Hitori "Bocchi" has to actually work at it, and she makes some slow progress while still needing some cool off time afterward.

All-girls cast so if that's a consideration, skip it, but the first two episodes were really enjoyable.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Renai Flops:
    another anime like fufu that will give you a stroke if you try to understand what happens and mainly how it can be plausible.
    Japan, what have you done again...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Mid-season check in. This season is astonishingly good, and if you're not branching out and trying a few odder series, you're missing out on some real gems. This could legitimately be one of the best seasons of anime in 5 years.

In no particular order:

Shinmai Renkinjutsushi - Probably the weakest of the shows I'm still watching, but I need something for earlier in the week.

Kage no Jitsuryokusha - Somewhat sub-par and oddly paced adaptation of an otherwise very good manga.

Reincarnated as a Sword - Fran Omega Cuteness with decent action scenes, but starting to show some powercreep problems that plague the LitRPG genre.

Bibliophile Hime - A fluffy historical romance. The color palette is nice.

Urusei Yatsura remake - I finally see why Japan is still obsessed with Lum decades later.

Reincarnated Villainess Taming the Last Boss - Series does mini-arcs about four episodes each, and they're really well composed. The OP is awful (Megumin's VA singing past her range) and the art feels a bit generic at times, but overall I'm enjoying it more than I did Bakarina.

Spy x Family S2 - Animation is better than the previous season, but with more of the filler chapters from the original manga, it is a bit weaker.

Kokyuu no Karasu - Surprisingly good Imperial Chinese Court series, in a subgrene often caught with very bland series. More of a political mystery series with modest supernatural elements to it. Not a reverse harem. Absolute worst OP of the entire season, but one of the best EDs. Also plays with some rather unique animation styles for flashbacks.

Utawarerumono - I'm still watching it, but it is starting to lose me. I'll finish it, but I kinda expected more from this.

Gundam: Witch from Mercury - Look forward to it every week. The series has started to tease out some of its huge twists.

Bocchi the Rock - My current show of the season. This is "Mental Health Dilemma K-ON" and covers social anxiety so well, on top of actually having good music performances in-universe. Every episode gets better. It also has some truly incredible Late 90s - Early 2000s nostalgia to it while still being very modern because they get experimental with the animation, and it works every time. This feels like GAINAX at their absolute peak. It is consistently endearing, weird, and constantly hits close to home. A true sleeper hit.

Arknights - Really good worldbuilding and promising overall, but oh my god the exposition. At 8 episodes, this will be a nice bonus, but not a mainstay.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 11-12-2022 at 02:02 PM.

Your summary of Bocchi sounded interesting, but then all I see is cute girls and I can't take a story about mental health seriously anymore :/

Suprisingly bad season imo. If it weren't for all the sequel seasons, there'd be nothing left:

Gundam: Mercury Witch - The worst main character I've ever seen in an anime. Actively want to punch her in the face. Last episode when her shitty, non-sensical anxiety got so bad she did a "mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-moshimoshi?!". Fuck her. Makes me filled with hatred. Even outside her, this is hardly Gundam as of now and way too much girls school meets yuri (yeah, it's not a girls school, but you hardly notice that). This should have gotten its own brand like "Gundam Build Fighters" did, maybe like "Gundam Girls" or something. Big letdown, especially after the great prologue-episode.

Mob Psycho Season 3 - I kinda of enjoy the singular episodes, but I have to force myself to start an episode every week. Not a good sign. The lack of an exciting plot rn is hurting a lot, Mob at the center just isn't, you need Reigen and other characters to drive the story. Last episode was great, but still, I don't care much about next week.

Boku no Hero Academa Season 6 - More enjoyable than expected, with a big BUT: So much, soooo much hinges on the consequences. If the season ends with no significant deaths, permanent injuries and power shifts, then no matter how nice it is to watch rn, it will leave a permanent bitter taste.

Chainsaw Man - A late-blooming surprise. Didn't like the first episode, was more happy after episode 2, and at episode 3 it had become my favorite show of the season. The story is fresh, the characters are fresh, the presentation is grounded despite the fantasy elements. Really nice.

Fumetsu no Anata e Season 2 - An even later-blooming story. Went into this expecting to love it, but it was only "good". Even episode didn't get better, so I was letdown. But then episode 3 last week was fantastic in so many unexpected ways - basically instead of crying, that episode made me laugh out loud, in a good way. If that quality is kept up, then I'm positive this will achieve to live up to the 1st season's quality.

Have only watched 1 episode of Bleach, not that excting. Had to force myself through 2 episodes of Yowamushi, even less exciting.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Your summary of Bocchi sounded interesting, but then all I see is cute girls and I can't take a story about mental health seriously anymore :/
    Give it two episodes. It hits its full stride in three, and only goes up from there, but I'll ask for two.

Since I never made a thread for it:

Bocchi the Rock is anime of the year by a wide margin.
    It's up there with the truly iconic great series. A flawless 10/10.

The memes and rumors about it are true.

Bocchi is probably the funniest of the year.

I can't remember what shows aired when, so I'm hesitant to give it overall anime of the year.
    But the jokes hit hard.

I checked it against the other stuff I had watched this year. Even accounting for recency bias, the only thing that came close to it in its own genre was Machikado Mazoku S2.

Putting aside comedy, many other series I watched this year had either flaws or sub-standard episodes.

Without any exaggeration, Bocchi got better with virtually every episode, and in only a single instance, maintained the same level as the previous episode (the summer day trip one).

This is a season with a ton of good shows, and a year with some pretty high-quality ones, but Bocchi the Rock is a series I don't hesitate to give a 10/10. I'm real stingy with those. I only have ten including Bocchi.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 12-24-2022 at 06:26 PM.

Hmm... I don't know, I think the show is lacking in terms of how it keeps you interested.
    It's not a show I look forward for to see what happens next. In fact I'm having trouble watching it sometimes as I lose interest. For example, I'm stuck on episode 9 - while the jokes are still funny, I just can't give a damn about them going out doing friendship stuff. I don't feel like they are bonding enough for me to care.

And it's rather weak on the music side of things as well. (not enough focus on that)

But it's still rather good comedy.

Call of the Night was for sure a better overall show for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    And it's rather weak on the music side of things as well. (not enough focus on that)
    I split them between music shows and idol shows.

Idol shows have an absolute ton of music because promoting the VA, the real-world concerts, games, CD sales, etc. is the goal from the start. Idolmaster, Love Live, Zombie Land Saga. Mixed media projects like Prima Doll. New song every episode.

Music shows are more about music as a central theme. Sakamichi no Apollon (jazz), Bocchi (J-rock), K-ON (generic rock), Nodame Cantabile (concert hall music), Hibike! Euphonium (orchestra and specifically internationally famous Kyoto HS marching bands), and then there's also trash like Kono Oto Tomare where they never actually play the instruments without talking over them despite allegedly being a central plot focus.

K-ON is cited as cute girls doing cute things and also a music series, but it always deeply failed at the latter. They'll play the intro/outro to a song, and maybe one or two insert songs. The OP/EDs don't count and were the majority of the music sales for K-ON. Hisaka Youko was the lead on all of those songs, but canonically, Yui is the lead singer of their band in all other appearances after the maid outfit performance. I think there's maybe 3 full performances in 36 episodes.

K-ON is the baseline bar for a music anime because it is one of the most well-known. While it is certainly a moeblob series, it is also widely referred to as a music series. The overwhelming majority of music series are like it. Play the intro/outro, done. Euphonium was KyoAni correcting their mistakes and actually playing more music in their music-central show.

Bocchi was way above the baseline. It wasn't all insert songs or even remotely marketable stuff. Much of the music in the series is Bocchi twiddling away on her guitar as her means to communicate and cope with the world she can't handle. That's central to the theme of the series as well, where her goal is to be instantly popular without having to work her way around her social problems. It has bad performances. They play enough different music to fill a whole EP without including the OP/ED. She actually teaches another character, and not only does she improve, but they also feature that as a climactic moment in the final episode. It covers a ton of details about being a rock band that most similar series gloss over completely.

It's very thoroughly a music series in my eyes.

...this post ended up being way longer than I intended.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 12-26-2022 at 09:38 AM.