Thread: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury (TV)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yeah...the last few episodes and the 2nd cour as a whole kinda ruined the first.

Horribly rushed, many plot threads dropped, others needlessly inserted (Lauda fighting Guel, though the fight was pretty good), and the SAL are the worst developed villain for a franchise of this size in a long, long time.

I do hope they return to the setting though, I found Ad Stella quite interesting. There's hints they might, what with the lines about the Spacians trying to claw back control of the holdings that were transferred to Earth already. Gundam tech will also advance, and hopefully be less harmful to pilots in the long run.

Be mindful on claiming it was "all done by children," when that's not true. The adults were waiting in the wings to evacuate the students if they failed their endeavor and switch over to an extremely bloody war. Just like the first season, there was a ton going on in the fringes that indicated that Miorine and crew were being given a chance to act in their parent's stead, but if things up-ended, they were going to be politely removed from the board by adults. I fail to see how what they did here is any different from any other teen protagonist series in any anime.

The whole thing is still a reference to The Tempest and it somehow having a "everyone wins," ending despite the atrocious things going on during the play.

I did smirk at the self-awareness of Miorine's line to Ericht on how the hell she could even exist. Come on, that's good.

Worst ever? No. That still belongs to AGE.

You may not like WfM, but it was extremely popular in Japan and, "redeemed the Gundam IP," according to Japanese viewers. It served its purpose.

Maybe we'll get something better when Sunrise takes over Macross, because Studio Nue sure can't manage anything decent anymore, and it is another franchise deeply in need of redemption. We haven't had anything good since the first two Frontier movies.

Fun fact though! Suletta has the lowest kill-count of any Gundam lead character. Just one.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 07-03-2023 at 02:38 PM.