Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness

Alternative title:
    であいもん (Japanese)

Themes: cooking, music

Plot Summary: Nagomu is a man who left his home in Kyoto and his family's confectionary shop when he became a musician. Upon hearing that his father has been hospitalized though, he comes back home to take over the family business. However, while he was gone, a young girl named Itsuka started working at the shop. The whereabouts of Itsuka's parents is unknown, and she has no other relatives, and Nagomu finds himself as foster parent for Itsuka. Itsuka, on the other hand, dislikes Nagomu for abandoning the family to become a musician. She proclaims that it will be her who will take over the shop one day instead of Nagomu.

Links: ANN, MAL.

Up to episode 06 now.

-----------------------------------

This OP is my favourite this season.

The anime is soothing.

I laugh and giggle at this show more than other comedic shows because the timing is on point.

This has very similar feel to Hanasaku Iroha, and that's not a bad thing. It's more light hearted, mainly because the MC is always there for the female characters in need. It turns out better than that sentence alone suggests.

I'm going to disagree with ANN, cooking really isn't a theme here. The food and its symbolism is, but the cooking really isn't. Parenting on the other hand, is totally the theme. Usagi drop is an apt comparison.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Usagi Drop seems like the very opposite of an apt comparison.

People have been freaking out it could go the same way from the start of the series. It's more of an Ai Baby type series. Or Alice to Zouroku without the supernatural stuff.

Watched the 6 episodes out in two days. I like the laid-backness of it, but there's also one big thing I absolutely hate about this series, and I think the word to describe this is "saccharine". It's way to saccharine, and I'm not talking about their sweets shop. Everyone is so happy, even the workers are happy all the time, even Nagumo who's a failure by any traditional measure is happy. And everybody is kind to each other. T

That makes everything feel fake to me.

Also, what is it with anime and these 100% unrelatable family situations? So the mother gives up her child just because Itasuka likes it there? Ah, yes, that's how parenting goes, when your child likes it somewhere else, you just step back-HAS NEVER HAPPENED IRL EVER.

And this last episode also had the most unnatural, unbelievable line ever: "It's work that that's going with you, not Itsuka, mama". What barely-beyond-toddler-age child would say that? lol

Anyway. I hope we see Nagumo having some development soon, not just as the climax of the anime. And I want him to get the co-worker girl as his new gf, but ofc I fully expect the anime to have him reunite with his old gf, sigh.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    This OP is my favourite this season.
    I don't watch that many shows, so it doesn't mean much, but the OP of this series is the only one I don't automatically skip. I listen to it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    Watched the 6 episodes out in two days. I like the laid-backness of it, but there's also one big thing I absolutely hate about this series, and I think the word to describe this is "saccharine". It's way to saccharine, and I'm not talking about their sweets shop. Everyone is so happy, even the workers are happy all the time, even Nagumo who's a failure by any traditional measure is happy. And everybody is kind to each other. T

That makes everything feel fake to me.

Also, what is it with anime and these 100% unrelatable family situations? So the mother gives up her child just because Itasuka likes it there? Ah, yes, that's how parenting goes, when your child likes it somewhere else, you just step back-HAS NEVER HAPPENED IRL EVER.

And this last episode also had the most unnatural, unbelievable line ever: "It's work that that's going with you, not Itsuka, mama". What barely-beyond-toddler-age child would say that? lol
    Of course this is unrealistic. You have to bend reality somewhat to create the setting for the story to exist. That's just how it goes. In fact that's how it goes in most fictional series of any kind, and some not-fictional (biographies, etc) as well, just to drive a point by simplifying or exaggerating things.

I have met saccharine people in RL, and that's saying something seeing how I'm from Finland, a taciturn country where people were annoyed when the Covid instructions said you gotta keep a distance of 2m from other people - because folks were used to keeping a much longer distance in normal times. Happy-go-lucky dudes like the MC do exist. If he's like that, he got the genes from somewhere. The employees would likely filter out to be like that to remain working there, in such a traditional, close-knit small shop. It would have an atmosphere of its own. Then just exaggerate it a little, like I said earlier.

You could view the "you are taking your work with you" scene as the mother's memory of what happened. Itsuka could have said the same thing in more childish terms in reality, but it just left an impression like that.

"Giving" Itsuka there would be unrealistic nowadays, but go back a century and it wouldn't be strange, go back two and it would be a run-of-the-mill situation. While I also think it's just convenience for the story to go on, at least there were some circumstances, like the mom having been away for many years, with no contact. She also genuinely seemed to want Itsuka to be happy and to be doing what she loves to do. She was afraid her own ability to make Itsuka happy is lacking, so it would have been quite an awful first step to take Itsuka away from the things she really loves. At this point the mother is basically nothing but a biological mother on paper, after the long separation. It's the dad Itsuka is missing, since it's he under whose care she was growing up, quite happily in fact, until he suddenly hit the road.
    Last edited by Kraco; Thu, 05-12-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    She's 10, not a kindergartener.

She's surrounded by much older adults all the time and has been working with them professionally for many months.

They've shown across the preceding episodes that Itsuka's experiences of being abandoned have left her in a much more mature outlook, despite occasionally pining for her Dad to come back. She's had to grow up emotionally astonishingly rapidly. But she's still a kid, and Nagomu is trying to treat her like one so she has somewhat of an enjoyable childhood.

It's exaggerated, but it isn't completely out of line. It's admittedly like a cringey Holiday Movie line, but there is some basis to her making those kinds of cloying lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    She's 10, not a kindergartener.

She's surrounded by much older adults all the time and has been working with them professionally for many months.

They've shown across the preceding episodes that Itsuka's experiences of being abandoned have left her in a much more mature outlook, despite occasionally pining for her Dad to come back. She's had to grow up emotionally astonishingly rapidly. But she's still a kid, and Nagomu is trying to treat her like one so she has somewhat of an enjoyable childhood.

It's exaggerated, but it isn't completely out of line. It's admittedly like a cringey Holiday Movie line, but there is some basis to her making those kinds of cloying lines.
    She says that line before she was left there, when she was much younger ...

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Meh...maybe I should rewatch Hanamaru Youchien.

Episode 7

- - -- -

I felt like Hiiro's initial character building was too rushed. It was too forceful how in a couple of minutes she had to be established as a perfectionist who has never failed, and then obviously make her fail. The second half of the ep worked better, after she had failed. However, balancing her character like that still feels too meaningless. Maybe she should have appeared much earlier in the series and then gradually set up her personality instead. Make her accumulate cracks a bit slower, until a fatal one appeared, like in this ep. How easily she knocked the wind out of Nagomu did, for sure, reveal she's an assassin behind the scenes, haha.

A pretty good episode, nonetheless. The more I watch this series, the more I think Nagomu would be an insufferable comic relief character in an adventure/action series, but here he's not all that bad. I especially appreciate how he's not feeling depressed or giving up despite his shortcomings as a pastry chef. His optimism is quite cool.

Nagumo embarrassing Itsuko like a parent would embarrass their child was cute.

I agree that Hiiro's introduction and development was subpar. This is the weakest episode in the series thus far. Hopefully next episode is better since it's about how Nagumo met Kanoko. I'm quite fond of this couple.

While the first half of the episode was really weak, the 2nd half was one of the strongest portions of the series so far.

I really enjoyed the dynamic of Nagomu stealing his father's thunder (except at the actual execution) because Nagomu's teacher was such a powerful and important influence on his life at the time. It also doubled-down on the positive aspects of the first half, improving the weaknesses there. Hiiro got another dose of why Nagomu matters to the store. It reinforced that Nagomu's expertise is at talking to people and understanding their emotions even when they don't actually say anything. He's the ideal "Front of the House" type culinary employee.

It ended up being quite touching. The teacher got a reminder of how deeply her actions help her students grow (20 years later even, he remembered what she did for him more than she did), he set up a good moment for his dad to show off technically and philosophically, and Nagomu helped mend a mother-daughter relationship before the good intentions of her mother turned toxic.

The weakness of this series is that the events and stories are isolated from each other. Characters are frequently introduced and then their issue resolved in a single half. The series isn't set up to be episodic but is written and storyboarded like one. Like Kraco said, Hiiro and many of the other characters could have benefited greatly from having their specific issues hinted at throughout other episodes, before their own turn comes around to focus on it and resolve it.

The Teacher thing was good.

My issue with the 2nd half was that my suspension of disbelief was strained when the mother/daughter issue seemed to break down there of all places. The mother calling her clumsy was truly condescending as fuck.

I thought so too at first, what kind of mother would say that to her daughter in public repeatedly unless she truly loathed her child?

But it was intentionally meant to be a misunderstanding. Her mother thought she was using it as a term of endearment, and for a young child, it would be. But she didn't realize her daughter had gotten older, and that's no longer acceptable to an adolescent. She still envisioned her daughter as the younger version. A woman should know what saying that in public does to a girl, but perhaps the mother is at that age where she's too young to realize what she's doing (first kid woes), or had a very different childhood where she wasn't "doted on" as much.

Kids dispositions their relationship with their parents flip like a switch when their own ego starts to be expressed, and her mother obviously lacked the experience to notice.

Episode 08

------------------------------------

The lead-in into the OP this week was top notch. Second only to Nekomimi Witch Costume Itsuka.

It does feel like such a shame that Kanoko and Nagomu are leaving their relationship like this right now. I get that they're content with how they things are, and that Kanoko feels a bit awkward rewinding everything.. but that's only when there's no real competition. If someone comes along to seriously pursue either of them, this unclear stance is doing no one any good.

Might be fun (albeit frustrating) to watch though.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 05-25-2022 at 11:51 AM.

I don't believe Nagomu has any time or mental energy for dating for the time being. He's helping with the shop, but is lacking in skills, so he ought to be spending extra time on it. Especially with the spartan grandpa around. Also, he tries to pay attention to Itsuka seriously, after a fashion. Or actually, Nagomu is kind of happy-go-lucky, despite honouring promises, so he might get back together with Kanoko, but it might not lead anywhere. That could be far worse than the current status.

Itsuka still thinks he got dumped though. Given that, it makes sense that he busies himself with family and Itsuka. It'd probably stay for as long as he thinks he has no chance with her (since she dumped him)

Episode 9

- - - - -

It's actually pretty funny that Nagomu is so socially relaxed and easily interacts with people, familiar and strangers, but he's blind to those two ladies' interest in him. Though as far as his interactions go, I still find funniest the moments when Itsuka gives him the cold, unamused stare, yet Nagomu doesn't let it discourage him at all. Itsuka doesn't show it much, but I reckon she does appreciate Nagomu paying attention to her, considering her past.

Quite an interesting contraption to squeeze the juice out of the fruits. Efficient as well since it takes two fruits with no prior preparation necessary. Of course not as efficient as some modern industrial thing, but if they only need it once a year, maybe it's not a big deal. However, since it did break, they might have as well got a modern one and not stick to the old simply because of emotional attachment.

Itsuka being completely unrestrained around Nagomu continues to be funny. Mum stands no chance.

Nice contrast between Mitsuru's face showing anticipation at Nagomu's song while Kanoko shows nostalgia.

The fruit press... being a lever like that the wood will bend where the fruit is and snap. The first fruit also get squished a lot harder than the 2nd unless you press to completion. I've never seen something quite like it before. I agree that a new powered juicer would be much more efficient.

just watched episode 9. Loved the passive-aggressiveness between the two girls, lol. Although as a romance plot, it's rather boring. Kanoko is the clear choice, she's already infinitely closer and Nagumo wouldn't date a school girl.

Episode 10

- ---- --

Everybody certainly has a story in this show. Quite a first love for the "innocence" girl to have the man woo her persistently yet elegantly, but when they finally visit his family, she just gets a wad of get-out-of-here money thrown into her face. At least both managed to find a new partner later, even if they never forgot their connection. I bet the man had a strained relationship with his family afterwards, though. He probably didn't go out of his way to bring favourite confections to his mother's grave. A piece of coal likely sufficed.

It's good to see Nagomu receive a little bit of respect. I wonder what would need to happen to make Itsuka open up to him. Although maybe that wouldn't just be in character for her. Even if she sometimes wanders off to chase the ghost of her dad. I just feel like Nagomu is exactly the kind of person she needs closeby since she's too serious for someone so young, whereas Nagomu is a very balanced combination of goofy and dedication to the craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post

It's good to see Nagomu receive a little bit of respect. I wonder what would need to happen to make Itsuka open up to him. Although maybe that wouldn't just be in character for her. Even if she sometimes wanders off to chase the ghost of her dad. I just feel like Nagomu is exactly the kind of person she needs closeby since she's too serious for someone so young, whereas Nagomu is a very balanced combination of goofy and dedication to the craft.
    I don't think she'll ever fully "respect" him any more per se, which also means she won't tell him everything he asks for. She'll continue to see him as a very sincere guy with his heart in the right place, but too lacking in "delicacy" and seriousness for her to openly admire. She'll talk about how amazing he is if someone disses him, but when he gets all smiley and affectionate, she'll try to ignore him again.