Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paripi Koumei

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    I would have hit it earlier if I know this was the P.A. Works show of the season. It doesn't feel like it, because it is a little more anime than they typically animate.
    P.A. Works has always been very consistent at adaptations, and they're good at them.

It is their original stuff that is Great or Garbage, leaning more toward the latter lately.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Even the training arc is cute. Feel goods all around, and I hope they don't try to make some overly dramatic reveal that her new friend is the masked singer in the rival group. I prefer the positive vibes.

---

That's like 2 episodes now with no Kongming. This sucks.

Nanami announcing who she was in an honest and completely unenthusiastic but ultimately unintentionally threatening manner was a great way of handling that kind of reveal. So much better than the usual way those kind of things go.

I guess it makes more sense why Nanami refuses to leave the group either. Her high school friends are the other members, and she can't leave them since she's the group's center without betraying them. Nanami probably could go anywhere (she can play two parts of the rhythm section after all), but her friends probably can't. The money and success changed them all, and while Nanami found her way again thanks to Eiko, she can't bring herself to stab her friends in the back. Her struggling backstory reminded Eiko of why she wants to sing, and why Zhuge Liang fell for the conviction in her voice immediately.

I do love that this and Birdie Wing both have these wonderful supportive rivalries this season. This just has two of them at the same time. Still kinda annoying that Kabe doesn't realize Sekitoba wants him to succeed as much as his underpass local friends do.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I didn't actually recognise how revealing that group's costume was until it was shoved in my face.

Nanami now just needs to lose to Eiko formally, then her group +/- manager will change directions.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Too bad they did the cut-away dream in place of another musical performance, but the point is received.

Like Ryll said, Sekitoba is totally a Taijin fan! On that note, I wonder how a rapper is supposed to elevate her music, in the long run? There's not much genre overlap in their art styles, is there?

Too bad they did the cut-away dream in place of another musical performance
    No, I appreciate the HELL out of that. They're saving revealing the full song to the audience until the climax. Which is WAY better than listening to the same song 5 times in 2 episodes like they did a couple episodes back.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar

Too bad they did the cut-away dream in place of another musical performance, but the point is received.

Like Ryll said, Sekitoba is totally a Taijin fan! On that note, I wonder how a rapper is supposed to elevate her music, in the long run? There's not much genre overlap in their art styles, is there?
    Eminem enters the room ? I mean at the time somerhing happened to a part of the rap scene. Good or bad in the long run is left to anyone appreciation.
    Rap battles feel like boxing. Everything from hard training, stamina, technique is well known. But when you like it, you stil go to the match and get the enjoyment from so many details you learn to pick. Then Mike Tyson enters the ring.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

....I don't follow? I just assumed that since her style of singing doesn't incorporate rapping, that it won't improve her style of music, or in this case, the 100k challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    No, I appreciate the HELL out of that. They're saving revealing the full song to the audience until the climax. Which is WAY better than listening to the same song 5 times in 2 episodes like they did a couple episodes back.
    I forgot that this is a new song she made. That makes sense. I was thinking that the point was just that she got generically better at singing. Must have happened when she covered the other song for Kid 2 eps ago; I forgot all about her original song even though they specifically mentioned it this ep.

Episode 11

-------------

This was the first engaging episode in a while. Music aside, this show's really about Koumei's schemes. The music is secondary. The whole Nanami thing was fine, but I had to binge that in one go instead of getting pulled weekly.

I wish they hadn't stopped the Azalea count at 98,000. When it is that close, people seeing the post will still Like it incidentally, even if there's rumors it is a scam. Azalea has a much higher production level and web presence. If it had stalled at 85,000 or something, I'd be less irked by the cliche of stopping a bomb at 0:01.

On the other hand, the rest of the episode was really enjoyable, and finally felt like they stopped stretching stuff out. Hijacking Azalea's advertising was a really smart idea, and Kabe makes sense now too. He's there to diss Nanami and pause their show, letting Eiko take the 100k crown first. It was also probably Kabe's best rap in the show so far.

I did figure that the whole plan was to simply get Eiko the 100k first, knowing that they can't really stop Azalea's industry machine. But I also figured they were just going to have Eiko post at like 9am and start spreading it all day, thus beating Azalea's 2pm push.

It sounds like Zhuge Liang has a much harsher, crueler plan to actually fracture and ruin Azalea, but he elected not to use it because Eiko and Nanami became friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    This was the first engaging episode in a while. Music aside, this show's really about Koumei's schemes.
    Agreed. The back half of the season focused too much on the idol story I don't give a shit about.

Episode 12 (end)

---------------

Well, if it was going to be a particular time, I'm glad this happened at the last episode. This series finally lost me, and slipped past suspension of disbelief.

There's no way, given how this episode started, and how close Azalea was to hitting 100k (they were not even 2,000 away and Eiko was at 30k to go) that EIKO would beat AZALEA. Hostile crowd thanks to Kabe, required Nanami to settle them down, and honestly, I expected more energy behind a song that was hyped up so much and produced in-universe by the series' Steve Aoki stand-in. It's very timid for an EDM song.

Let's also be honest. Eiko's singing VA, 96neko, is very good. But Nanami's singing VA, Lezel, is definitely the stronger singer. She was singing intentionally below her full capability with the Underworld song last episode, and they made the Eiko/96neko version better singing at her full capacity. But then switch to the "reborn AZALEA" song and Lezel blew Eiko's signature song out of the water. Completely discounting musical style between the two songs, Nanami's singer vocalist has better control, better range, and more power behind her voice.

Azalea's fans were really not at all far behind, and were not going to fall for the "They're the fakes!" play for that much longer, given how creepy-detailed Nanami's two superfans are (which is pretty realistic). They could easily make up the gap before Eiko even finished singing the second verse.

This episode played into my gripes about the previous episode, and then doubled down on those poor aspects of a story stretched just a little past where it should have for drama.

Didn't even realize this was the last episode...

They tied it up, I guess, but this wasn't a very satisfying story, all said and done. The theme of people saving the world via their music is just diametrically opposed to my personal sensibilities, so every time it is in anime I can only really enjoy it when laughing at the absurdity of its drama like some big meme where the characters commit to the bit, so to speak.

The whole likes showdown and such was just so fanciful that I just turned my critical thinking off to enjoy the scene and its mediocre music (j-pop/rock is not my taste). This unfortunately oversteered into a happy non-ending where nothing of real consequence has transpired over the last twelve episodes. At least we got a catchy OP for the history books.

WHY did we spend all that time on Kabe? He didn't even DO anything!

I thought Eiko's song was gonna have, like, a rap breakdown in the middle or something.

Yeah Kabe's role is dubious. I don't know if he was supposed to be used more in Koumei's more sinister plan.