Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo suru

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    So...these series basically always end season 1 at the fireworks festival, huh?

Like, I'm relatively new to this genre, and I think I've seen this exact episode done, like, 5 times already.
    It worked splendidly here, and has worked well probably in other series (not that I could name any immediately but I've got the same feeling about it as you), so why not? Regardless of it being the last episode or not, that seeing their love interest in a yukata for the first time scene is such a trope that it's almost a miracle if a youthful romance manga/anime in a contemporary setting doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    So...these series basically always end season 1 at the fireworks festival, huh?

Like, I'm relatively new to this genre, and I think I've seen this exact episode done, like, 5 times already.
    Yes. It is the biggest romance or light romance or comedy romance cliché in Japanese media.

I'm going to disagree with Kraco and say that it does not work all that well here, the scene with the phone call is far superior to the fireworks festival. In fact, the fireworks scenes, like a few other romance series the past few years, could have been cut entirely and there would be zero difference to this episode. I've outright skimmed through a few in lesser series because nothing unique ever happens at them.

Wakana being attracted to nape of neck isn't a surprise because of his established love for hina dolls. Marin being a glutton has been done as a gag a few times, and Wakana not going out before was really only set up this very episode, but is a repeat of the better-done beach date. The only sub-trope they missed was her getting lost and them...omg, holding hands. At least Marin ruined the moment in-character with the stained tongue.

But falling asleep on the phone together is something at least a little novel. I think I've seen anime only do that once before. Also only using things set up this episode (scary movies) that would have better suited Juju considering we haven't seen Marin being afraid of really anything before, but it at least feels like a very gyaru thing to do. I was kind of expecting him to mumble back another sub-conscious confession, but preferred that it was just a heartfelt one from Marin instead.

The phone call was the right way to end the season. Conclusive enough until the manga gets more material and they can launch another season years later like Chihayafuru does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Wakana not going out before was really only set up this very episode,
    No, that was a foregone conclusion. The dude hasn't got parents or friends to go out with. He has low self-esteem, especially considering relationships with other people. He hasn't even got any normal downtown clothes, nor any sense of fashion. Maybe you could say those traditional Japanese working clothes from 200 years ago are a fashion statement, but I could bet a box of luxury ice cream that it's not. He just doesn't know what else to wear, nor care, because he never used to go anywhere. So, Gojou never going out was established from the beginning. He escaped into the world of Hina dolls and ignored everything else.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Wakana not going out together with anyone to anywhere was established pretty much every other episode.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 03-27-2022 at 05:08 AM.

I meant specifically to festivals, which is the context of the comment that romance series always have one.

People do go solo to those things just for the food.

But they established in only this episode that he has never seen fireworks up close, even when he was younger and with his grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    In fact, the fireworks scenes, like a few other romance series the past few years, could have been cut entirely and there would be zero difference to this episode..
    But the blue tongue scene!

Yeah, but no, I totally agree. It's actually a super anticlimactic way to end a season.

Love Is War was, like, the only slightly interesting one, because there was something actually happening during it.

I can watch those "fireworks scenes" another 1000 times.

Although this one wasn't particularly good.
    There was no romatic setup and Marin kinda ruined it anway, lol.

The balcony scene in "A Silent Voice" was pretty amazing for example.
    For different reasons obviously but still.

There is something about the colours in the dark sky that makes scenes like those twice as good.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 03-27-2022 at 03:12 PM.

I really liked the scene where Gojou first was staring at Marin, enamored, then they were both just gazing at each other like only two people in love could. How Marin "ruined" the moment was the icing of the cake because it was so much in character, like Ryll said. It was a very clear scene of Gojou looking at Marin as the girl he has fallen for.

Lol, topical:

I know it's been a while since it happened, but I just rewatched it all back to back and it's always amazing how much better anime is when you can ignore the weekly format, especially since this show had quite a few scenes that picked up directly where the last episode finished, which is in my opinion rather rare for slice-of-life/rom-com shows.

In September, a second part for this show was announced. I'm hyped, the animation was above and beyond for the most part.
    Great show to rewatch.

Unlike last time I watched it, I feel like I want more.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Binging is popular for a reason.

The only advantage we can glean from watching shows weekly is that we can participate in discussion and speculation meaningfully and have time to do so. Notice how the last part of Jojo had essentially no discussion over a 30+ episode series, even though it was mostly released within this year. With a focus on a small portion of the whole at regular intervals, we can naturally focus on that and have unified discussion rather than general thoughts on a series in its entirety. We have to get more granular.

Funny enough, discussions here and elsewhere are the only reason I watch anime as it airs at all. I want to be somewhat participatory in the zeitgeist of 'newness' when an episode drops and measure everyone's reaction against my own; it's a lot of fun. After a series is out, the chance for any sort to of deep dive drop drastically.

Back on topic, I also can't wait for S2.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I know it's been a while since it happened, but I just rewatched it all back to back and it's always amazing how much better anime is when you can ignore the weekly format
    Try telling that to the Jojo fans...

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I agree that binging is a better anime-watching experience, but forgoes the discussion aspect of it.

In general I've found that when I binge a short anime, I tend to forget that I've seen it later on in life (particularly if it's short). It's a different story for say binging longer anime (eg Naruto, HxH), but 12 episode series.. yeah I forget I even watched them sometimes.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~