Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isekai Shokudou

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Episode 10

-------------------------

Lastina enjoying her Parfait was quite refreshing. She wasn't just gushing over the food but enjoying it in a slightly confused manner, but also not overly analyzing it. I didn't expect Isekai High Society to all know each other.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

It's awfully convenient that most of the royalty across the various continents have personal access to a door. But at least the doors don't discriminate and show up for all others too in generally accessible places.

That said, Adelheid has certainly become the Queen of Diplomacy lately. At some point her "pauper's disease" (pneumonia?) will heal itself (or whatever it is exactly, but it isn't asthma as wikipedia implies, because she coughs up flecks of blood occasionally in season 1). When it does, she will be a powerful force in the court since she already knows literally every noble's personal tastes and has them all memorized. Or she'll be married into the Country of Sand, heh.

I am a little surprised that the Demons are peacefully aligned with the Empire after the war, because Aletta got such awful treatment before she found a door. Prety sure that Aletta and Sarah "Mince Cutlet" are both from the area governed by the Demon Princess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryll
    I am a little surprised that the Demons are peacefully aligned with the Empire after the war, because Aletta got such awful treatment before she found a door. Prety sure that Aletta and Sarah "Mince Cutlet" are both from the area governed by the Demon Princess.
    This episode does feel inconsistent to what we've been shown before. At best people are surprised and slightly scared of horns. At worst they actively reject her when they see it. She had to try so hard to hide them.

The first episode first talked about Demon horns being a sign of their power/mana, but once the Demon Lord was defeated, all demons lost their "power" so horns were merely ornamental.. or something like that.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    ...thanks for the refreshers, guys. I had totally emptied all of the world building in season one insofar as the racial relationships of the other world. Matter of fact, until this season, I think I believed the doors opened to different, non-connected worlds. That door is apparently chief of marketing for Nekoya.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    It's awfully convenient that most of the royalty across the various continents have personal access to a door. But at least the doors don't discriminate and show up for all others too in generally accessible places.
    Exactly. Remember the good ol' days when we had to almost die fighting goblins or be on the run from some tribunal to stumble upon a door and have a life changing encounter? Nowadays you can just take a detour on the way to the loo and -bam- Denny's on demand. They even have 'bring your (nonrelated) grandkids' night.

I like that more and more characters are pilfering recipes into their world.

I just noticed this season, but special props also to the least subtle quartet I've ever heard. Whenever someone goes into 'enjoying food' mode, the same exact dining music/theme suddenly ramps up as if they are in the corner, watching closely, and only know the one song. As soon as I noticed how loud and proud they came off, I couldn't unhear it and now eagerly await their brash return each new convert.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    Exactly. Remember the good ol' days when we had to almost die fighting goblins or be on the run from some tribunal to stumble upon a door and have a life changing encounter? Nowadays you can just take a detour on the way to the loo and -bam- Denny's on demand. They even have 'bring your (nonrelated) grandkids' night.
    I guess the evolution to the current state is part of the supremely powerful spell that Yomi (Master's grandmother and one of the four heroes who was sent through a time-space wormhole to Earth) created to link the wormhole back to their world via Nekoya's door.

There's way more doors appearing now, and maybe that is in part due to Kuro working inside. Nekoya is safer than it has ever been, meaning more nobles and commonfolk will be safer, instead of the old regulars all being great heroes in their own right, generals, fighters, and champion warriors.

Episode 11

-----------------------

Ahh, didn't figure Adelheid to have the hots for the prince as well. It was clear that they got along.

Come to think of it, I had forgotten that Kuro actually had a crush on the Chef as well, but that was quickly replaced by her crush for Chicken Curry. She also talked successfully in the last few episodes of S1 as well, but we've lost that plot point.

edit:
    And finally someone tried to Nekoya for political advantage.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 12-10-2021 at 04:10 PM.

It was only a matter of time. Adelheid has been showing faint signs all season that she's particularly fond of Shareef and his sister even though she dines with most of the other political leaders. They do basically time their visits to be at the same time, when each diner has the entirety of Saturday to come.

Nobody comes in the late evening before closing because that is the Red Queen's time.

It's probably better that Kuro mostly focuses on telepathy with the diners. The lizarman gag was quite wonderful. They always ask if someone can read Eastern, but we have to assume at some point that someone will come in who can't even speak it.

The other interesting development is that Aletta's attention to detail and instinct is catching up with Kuro's telepathy. Kuro is the one usually known to deliver additional servings right as they're about to be asked for, but now Aletta is expediting the back of the house before they even think about it.

S02E12

----------------------

Well that certainly feels like a finale. Marriage afterparty, Yomi makes an appearance and a final word of appreciation for good cooking.

And we finally see the cat.

Despite knowing that there are other characters and material to adapt, I'd be surprised if this got another run. It feels like a good spot to end on, and I can't see too much more major plot development. 1 more marriage maybe. Not gonna complain if they do make S3 but.

I'm a little surprised that Yomi doesn't check in more often. Given how detached she is from the day-to-day running of the place and even intended to shut the place down - it's strange that the doors seem like they're proliferating.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 12-17-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I'm a little surprised that Yomi doesn't check in more often. Given how detached she is from the day-to-day running of the place and even intended to shut the place down - it's strange that the doors seem like they're proliferating.
    Probably because it makes her wistful and sad. After all, it will always remind her of her husband, who passed fairly recently.

My guess would be the doors are increasing because the Master actually enjoys serving the otherworld guests. What chef wouldn't, for all the enthusiasm that the patrons consume every dish that strikes their fancy. Yomi can be more critical because she's seen both worlds and been in ours for so long. It's a nice parallel to theme this season has going, where the patron, not just Far, want to start leveling up the cooking in their own world because of Nekoya.

But for the record, Japanese pizza has got to be the most alien variants on the dish I've ever seen.

edit:
    I forgot my favorite part, Aletta's rushed prayer.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 12-18-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Somehow they managed to double down on the feel goods. I didn't even think it could be quantified, but yep- roughly twice the normal amount of feel good in the final episode as we essentially bid farewell to Nekoya. Good food and now some good friends. One of the superior healing type shows in my book.