Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon S

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Huh. I thought they have been 'frienemys' this whole time though? Even in the flashbacks, they acted more like stoic comrades than besties. I never saw them acting more friendly than in the present time, or did I miss something?

It's a bit inconsistent, but probably because the source material was written that way, with a soft retcon in between the material of seasons 1 and 2.

It was a simple Chaos vs Harmony faction thing at first, but then it got muddy with Kanna who was simply exiled to the human world. After Kobayashi confronts Tohru's father, the story shifts more towards humanizing the dragons and also showing how complex they are when they now live in a peaceful world.

The best way to interpret this is that Tohru has always been a bit of a rogue outsider among Chaos dragons because she's so much more powerful than most others, and also has always wanted some degree of companionship (much like Ilulu).

Elma, while being a Harmony dragon, was constantly taken advantage of because she's easily bribed and also lonely. The two met frequently enough that they became very close.

Then Tohru is "killed" by the humans, but actually fled dimensions, where she was saved by Kobayashi. A vocal hater of humans became enamored and obsessed with one.

Elma just felt abandoned. She wanted to drag her back to their world under the pretense that Tohru will cause trouble here, but it turned out (soft retcon) that Elma just wanted to monopolize the smoldering and guarded version of Tohru. She was irritated that Tohru keeps making more friends while generally avoiding Elma.

Since most of the dragons on earth are Chaos dragons (Lucoa being neutral), Elma became the outsider among the collective group.

My biggest takeaway this episode was how cool Shouta is getting thanks to his growing confidence in his magic. I guess his dad's concept of how helpful Lucoa is comes down to the fact that Shouta is becoming desensitized to normal levels of unexpected things due to Lucoa constantly harassing him with her body for fun. He stays cool under normal levels of pressure and quicker and quicker to react to chaotic events that used to put him into a tizzy.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I can't remember when Shouta knew about the rest of the dragons. He very specifically slept Saikawa but not Kanna.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

How can he not know? He hangs out at Kobayashi's house, crying about Lucoa's behavior, he plays games with Mikiya and Fafnir.

Pretty much as soon as he figured out Lucoa was not in fact, a succubus. But it was a gradual thing.

That's why this episode has been pretty cool. You can see him finally coming into his own as a mage, instead of the quivering nervous child with low confidence in his magic when Kobayashi was first introduced to him.

Pretty much as soon as he figured out Lucoa was not in fact, a succubus. But it was a gradual thing.
    Uhh.. so pretty much "yeah, we don't know when"

As far as I know, there was never a firm transition point where "I summoned a Succubus" became "oh, you 5 are dragons".

It happened, but I don't want to rewatch all of season 1 to figure out when it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    It happened, but I don't want to rewatch all of season 1 to figure out when it did.
    You're right. I got bored and went back through S1. Episode 06 was where this happened. Turns out I'd forgotten a lot of what happened in S1.

S02E10

----------------------------------

No way that a Kanna-centric episode won't be warm and fuzzy. And, well, it seems Kanna's tail is also a socket xD.

That said, slightly unrealistic bit:

1) wet but dried its wings near immediately and flew away.. in the rain.
    2) Kanna didn't eat the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    And, well, it seems Kanna's tail is also a socket xD.
    Laptops today sometimes don't have a charger port anymore at all. They are charged through a USB-C port. I guess Kanna also works like that.

I thought Kanna used to plug herself into the wall. She's growing up and can now power appliances herself!

Episode 11

----------------

Heavy...

Eps 12
    -------------

That was a surprising and yet also not surprising turn!

Elma had the best yukata though.

One of my favourite parts was how even Saikawa has grown to withstand her joyous outbursts without KOing.

The slightly sad part was Kanna encouraging her to live long. :'(

Yukata-wise, yeah Elma's frilly sleeves are pretty good. I guess that beats sleeveless by a little bit.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I appreciate what it did, but it was one of the weaker episodes, given the whole season. Just some non-flirtation and a low-key group gathering without any 'new' information. It was a sleepy soft-out, and given the length of time between seasons, it was appropriate.

Honestly, after binging all of season 1, s2 was pretty boring.

And I think that's just how slice of life comedies are for me. Very rarely are they consistently funny. Most of the time they're just...nice, but then they have a few really great funny moments in them.

But those moments, are not worth the time I spend watching an entire season of an anime. I can get everything I'd actually enjoy out of a show like this, by watching a highlight video on youtube.

It's like when everyone was raving about Hinamatsuri. Saying how great and funny it was, and after watching the whole thing it was like, "Yeah...nah. You have the broken leg scene, the "I'm dead?!" scene, the schoolgirl tending bar, the "made you look" game, and then that badass kung fu sequence in the epilogue." Those are basically the only good parts of that show, and it's like 5 minutes of the show, total, and I saw them all on youtube. I didn't have to spend 4 hours of my life being mostly kinda bored.

With Hinamatsuri, the highlight was Anzu's arc across the whole season, as that is what the adaptation covers.

Slice of life isn't for everyone, and you don't need to make any excuses for not liking it.

Maid Dragon S2 excels less on plot and more on animation, imo. KyoAni declaring their return and honoring their lost colleagues (many who worked on the first season), by putting out a consistently quality series with a level of animation detail that should put every other studio on alert. The details this season are impeccable, even coming from a studio known for adding on enough detail to their background characters that hardcore KyoAni fans give them all nicknames (over my head, but they've been doing it since K-ON). KyoAni quality has been high for quite a while, but they're really setting the bar high with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Slice of life isn't for everyone, and you don't need to make any excuses for not liking it.
    But I already did!

Slice of life for me is about characters doing mostly relaxing and sometimes funny things - some funnier than others. Warm fuzzy feelings probably next.

Non-Non Biyori would have to be my favourite slice of life.
    Natsume's Book of Friends was good too, if you can call it that.
    Minami-Ke was good on/off.

^ That's talking about longer running series, short series I tend to forget but can also be good for their run.

Kobayashi is up in the high ranks too for me.

ARIA is always going to take the top spot for me (though I love Non Non Biyori too). ARIA is an introspective, coming of age (both teens and adults retiring) story that never throws the message they're trying to convey into the viewers' face. They experience it the same time the main cast does. And it gives time for those events to breathe. It combined every element of what animation can do nearly flawlessly.

My only slight to Maid Dragon S is that it was a bit too overt at times in explaining the message of the episodes. But it was still more depth and sentimentality than I expected from a largely gag-driven series.

S2 - Ep 13

---------------------------

Random ep out of nowhere.

The Zoom call at the end was a nice touch that ended the ep on a happy note.

There were some cute callbacks to S1 events as well.

I always love the episodes where the dragons openly confirm that Kobayashi is top dog in their social group. She's earned it (against Tohru's father and Shouta's father as well), and without any special powers at all.