Thread: Horimiya

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Horimiya

254466.jpg

"At school, Hori Kyouko is known for being smart, attractive, and popular. On the other hand, her classmate, the boring, gloomy Miyamura Izumi tends to get painted as a "loser fanboy." But when a liberally pierced and tattooed (not to mention downright gorgeous) Miyamura appears unexpectedly on the doorstep of secretly plain-Jane homebody Hori, these two similarly dissimilar teenagers discover that there are multiple sides to every story...and person!

Source: Yen Press"

Genre(s): Romance, Drama, School life, Comedy

Eps 1-3

Better late than never. This was a real treat. Going by the boiler-plate premise, I wasn't really that excited to give this one a go, but once you start watching... well, it becomes endearing very quickly. Most romance anime have conditioned me to expect just the slightest progress as a reward for finishing a season or series, but here it is on quite a steady clip. None of the characters, even when caught in 'misunderstandings' or other hijinks, comes off as annoying, and even the less pronounced characters add charm and texture to this low-key tale. Highly recommended.

I watched the first 2 episodes, not my kind of thing, but not a bad 20 minutes to burn on.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Read the manga for a while and I think I prefer the manga. For some reason the animated version does not deliver as well as the manga. Maybe because some subtleties I got better and do not get with the anime.
    I'm able to endure some trash anime if they entertain me enough or help me burn some time, but somehow I might drop that show because it does neither for me yet.
    Will try some other eps, it's possible I'm just overly tired

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

True, it doesn't add much over the manga, but I'm still enjoying it. It's a healing-type anime. Low stakes, warm fuzziness, etc.

There's a very natural approach to the voice acting outside of twintails-ditz Remi (and that still matches her character, fake).

I barely recognized Tomatsu Haruka as the lead because she's almost using her natural voice you only here on non-variety and non-radio interviews.

The animation is really quite good too, for this type of series.

I forgot how funny this series is.

Episode 6 is killing me.

It's very natural and grounded humor. There's reasons this is a series that doesn't get a lot of word of mouth, but is somehow insanely popular on manga sites.

For some reason this might be a rare case for me where I enjoy the manga more than the anime.
    Maybe because I have more time to enjoy subleties and scenes.
    But I'm still pleased this got animated.
    It's a bit early but it's possible Sawada's VA might be a bonus over the manga.

PS: I get old... I repeat myself

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I'm watching it.
    I'm constantly getting suprised by the sudden jumps in their relationship.

At the same time however, it's super weird how often he went to her place for no reason, even when they were not at "that" level.

It's kinda weird that no one visits her except for him.

That's were the manga is a little better at explaining why he comes so often: it's the little brother.
    But we lost most of that alibi in the adaptation.
    We also lost most of their thoughts, that were helping a lot explain what happens.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    So Ep8 etc. etc.

gotta say, this got really boring.
    Can't say any of the side characters are even remotely interesting enough to have that much screen time.
    I'm having trouble staying motivated to watch this.

I think this show would've been better if they actually went on with the hidden sides of each character a bit more. You now, male-MC meeting people that aren't really the typical crowd, MC girl getting shit for dating something like him and all that kind of stuff.

Nothing really happens and the whole premise was already dealt with like 5 episodes in and now it's a non-issue and not even part of their character anymore.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 02-28-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Yeah, I remember why I stopped reading the manga now.

It could have ended last episode, and that's basically where the manga should have as well. KareKano had the same problem years and years ago.

Their character arcs all but concluded with the realization that they like each other for each others' uniqueness and quirks.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sun, 02-28-2021 at 10:16 AM.