Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Gotta love Eris beaming whenever she talks about Rudeus.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

She's pretty much beaming whenever she's doing something she loves, like looking at weapons, fighting, adventuring, or talking about Rudeus. It's jolly good how strongly and consistently her personality has been depicted throughout the series. Back when she was just a waste, she was still the same but not focused on anything constructive, so she behaved like the worst spoiled noble brat. Under Rudeus's tutelage and the realities of the unexpected, long adventure, all of her energy became her genuine strength instead.

A fine extra episode. The excellent fighting scene left nothing to be desired. It was a rather interesting change of perspective to have a n00b follow Eris, to present her as an expert in that sense. She's far too easily provoked, but otherwise she almost behaved like a pro.

Talking about being "like a pro".. Ruijerd didn't get detected once, even when Eris went into "detection mode".

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Reminded me of how much I like this series.

I hope there is going to be another season or two.
    After all, they are going to be teenagers/young adults.

Supposedly, the light novel for this has a conclusive ending, so I'm really hoping we eventually get to see the whole thing.

Just watched the bonus episode. But can somebody explain to me what happened? Maybe it's too late and I should go to sleep, but I don't understand the ruckus about the boy's identity. So he was the pope afterall? And he put on the helmet so his followers wouldn't see him? But why did the pope want to go adventuring with randos in the beginning? And willing to watch as 2 women are slaughtered?

Weird.

animation was nice, ofc, but I would have liked a scene where Rudeus shows his magic prowess in front of the boy lol

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

My understanding from the intro is that he was adopted into the papacy and determined to be a magical prodigy (more in line with Roxy than Rudeus, but also without Roxy's decades of adventuring experience). So he's an adopted noble, and also directly in line to be the next pope or something. He's just an arrogant little shit as one would expect a magical prodigy to be. Rudy was exactly the same way before he got some similar doses of brutal reality.

The little girl and her knight are heirs to the rival faction also aiming to become the next pope. He was willing to watch because all the masked figures are on his side and from his family's forces. He couldn't be recognized by either side and he was actually in as much danger as the little girl was.

The issue is that his faction welcomes demonkin and non-humans, and the little girl and her knight they rescued are with a human supremacist faction.

So Eris actually did a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    But why did the pope want to go adventuring with randos in the beginning?
    Cause he's a kid. And kids crave adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The issue is that his faction welcomes demonkin and non-humans, and the little girl and her knight they rescued are with a human supremacist faction.

The knight aside, it's hard to think the little girl would be guilty of anything yet. I suppose ten years later she might be a ruthless human supremacist already, but on the other hand, maybe this experience will change something for her. Even if she becomes a human supremacist initially, but later finds out that her savior actually loves the animal ears people, it could still not be too late for her. She might, at least, become a moderate in her faction.

All that being said, even if the current ruling faction supposedly welcomes demonkin and non-humans, it doesn't yet mean that much without knowing the full picture. In practice discrimination seemed to be allowed already. Perhaps they thought the non-humans are needed as slaves or for low-paying jobs.

My understanding from the intro is that he was adopted into the papacy and determined to be a magical prodigy (more in line with Roxy than Rudeus, but also without Roxy's decades of adventuring experience). So he's an adopted noble, and also directly in line to be the next pope or something. He's just an arrogant little shit as one would expect a magical prodigy to be. Rudy was exactly the same way before he got some similar doses of brutal reality.

The little girl and her knight are heirs to the rival faction also aiming to become the next pope. He was willing to watch because all the masked figures are on his side and from his family's forces. He couldn't be recognized by either side and he was actually in as much danger as the little girl was.

Thx. I didn't fully make the connection that girl and her female knight were part of another faction. Oh my, Eris. This episode is canon, right? So it'll probably play a role in the future.

The knight aside, it's hard to think the little girl would be guilty of anything yet.
    It's anime, though, so she's probably the worst nazi of all of them lol.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlDF3cfb8lA

preview trailer, obviously spoiler-ish. 2023 is where it's at!

Yeah, spoilerish is certainly the correct word to describe that.

S2 eps 00

-------------

Noticeable animation downgrade.

I still don't really get how Sylphiette survived by killing the monster boar.

But what I do think is that Ariel immediately chose to gaslight Sylphiette in order to secure a new bodyguard. The glasses are super fucking lame, I'm not sure I'm ever going to get over those.

- why did her hair color change?
    - how did she survive that fall?
    - if all people got teleported into the sky, how did everyone else survive?
    - why is she a capable fighter, strong enough to defeat a famous assassin?
    - why is her chest so dishearteningly flat?

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    - why did her hair color change?
    - how did she survive that fall?
    - if all people got teleported into the sky, how did everyone else survive?
    - why is she a capable fighter, strong enough to defeat a famous assassin?
    - why is her chest so dishearteningly flat?
    1. Mystery, I got the same questions, since I assumed her hair changed later, not as she was falling through the sky.
    2. Right there with you. I guess she used wind magic and not water magic (why was she using it first anyway then...) and literally bounced off the boar's head.
    3. I think they explained this in the previous season. It basically just ignored elevation and randomized. Depending on where you were sent, you were either right at ground level like Rudeus and Eris, or way up in the sky like Sylvie. Demon Continent is higher than the rest of the world if I remember right, so they always had a better chance of not being up in the sky.
    4. Also explained briefly in the previous season. Sylphiette continued to hang out with Paul and the rest of Rudeus' family and practiced magic so she wouldn't fall behind Rudeus when they eventually would reunite when he was done tutoring Eris and Ghislaine. She just got generically good at a lot of things.
    5. Elves be flat in this anime setting. See slut-elf for cross-reference.

1. Mystery, I got the same questions, since I assumed her hair changed later, not as she was falling through the sky.
    2. Right there with you. I guess she used wind magic and not water magic (why was she using it first anyway then...) and literally bounced off the boar's head.
    They literally showed her hair change color AS she was falling. Right after she tried to use water magic and choked on it.

It seems like, she tried to use water magic, it didn't work, and in that moment her hair color changed and she was suddenly using air magic. Maybe elven hair color is tied to their element?

No idea why it spontaneously changed though. Desperation maybe? Or maybe...all that wind from falling? *shrug*

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I don't remember if the events of that ep were in the manga, I think they were not.
    Hence the ep 0.
    To me the hair going white is linked to the folklore idea that very stressful events, like being sure you are about to die, can produce such result. I think there's a novel by Edgar Allan Poe with the same thing happening to a maelstrom survivor.

Fitz glasses, they feel very out of place in a empire/royalty setting similar to the 18th or 19th century.
    But I guess the author used a 1980s or 1990s era artifact for highly distinctive purposes.

Other than that, I expected no less boredom from that ep

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I don't see why they couldn't have glasses like that, as lame as they are. Maybe they are cut from the outer layer of some giant arthropod eye or maybe magic can turn metal transparent. Made of glass, they would be quite terribly heavy, so I doubt that's the case, which is also why Earth didn't have such before the very modern era (advanced polymer engineering). As long as they can be made, they will be made. Just like in our world, as soon as technology allows making something, eventually it will be made. From a practical point of view, the larger area (tinted) glasses cover of the face, the harder it's to recognise and read a person, which ought to be the reason for the glasses here.

Btw, Ruijerd said Eris and Rudeus also dropped from the sky. Regardless, great many people obviously didn't survive. Dropping from low or very low altitude would allow surviving, even if wounded, especially if one happened to appear right above a body of water. The only other choice would be pretty much magic. I guess someone who mastered martial arts (the kind of magical one Ghislane practices) would also survive free fall from a lot higher than a layman.

I don't mind the hair colour change. I always thought it was somekind of magic overload thing, Sylphy suddenly needing to go over her previous limits to stop her descent.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    To me the hair going white is linked to the folklore idea that very stressful events, like being sure you are about to die, can produce such result.
    Yes. This. Hair change to white due to stressful events has been a thing in Asian "folklore" for a long time. Think of it as like "You get a cold if you get caught in the rain" thing.

The glasses design is out of place. I'd say that there are better head coverings suited for the era, but from memory the underwear in this series is also surprisingly modern, so whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Yes. This. Hair change to white due to stressful events has been a thing in Asian "folklore" for a long time. Think of it as like "You get a cold if you get caught in the rain" thing.
    If that's what it's supposed to be, it's the worst instance of doing so EVER.