Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I meant to say that the voice doesn't tell people to kill Taboo users or give instructions - so I initially didn't even think that they were worshipping the Lvling up voice.

But now I see that that is indeed what they're on about.

Now for someone so devoted to the voice (and presumably the UI), not getting Appraisal just sounds dumb.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I meant to say that the voice doesn't tell people to kill Taboo users or give instructions - so I initially didn't even think that they were worshipping the Lvling up voice. But now I see that that is indeed what they're on about.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what they're doing... assuming they also hear the SAME voice. If you go back to the episode where they're doing magic target practice it becomes more evident that's her intention.

Now for someone so devoted to the voice (and presumably the UI), not getting Appraisal just sounds dumb.
    Agreed, seems like one of the skills that should be prioritized, particularly if they have some sort of Inquisition going. But we really haven't learned much yet of how skills are acquired with skill points besides what we've seen our spider do, and also we don't know if everyone has access to the same skill set menu.

We can assume there's some sort of interlocking skill tree. But I guess is it:

a) As stupidly intertwined as Shield Hero's or a handful of other power-fantasy isekai series, where only the protagonist is smart enough to figure out that if you get level 2 of these four skills that most people think are "useless," it unlocks level 1 of this overpowered skill that is otherwise hidden entirely?

b) Fairly linear and branches build on branches, but convoluted for how to acquire the base skill in the first place?

c) Do most skills only come from evolutions, and the pool increases with each evolution?
    (In that case, what is the human 'evolution' path?)

Human evolution would be classes. Well known Mercenary vs Lesser Know Hero etc..

Human evolution would be classes. Well known Mercenary vs Lesser Know Hero etc..
    Well, wouldn't that be just "titles"? So within this system, not really an evolution as other species are doing, just gaining a title that may give stat/skill bonuses, just as other species seem to have... at least our spider and the dragon chick have manage to acquire titles. Not sure if they are the exceptions because of being reincarnations though.

Well since you don't physically "change" as a human as far as species etc go, you just change classes.

Titles would be achievements that you end up doing, like Kin Easter/Slayer, or Demon Hunter etc.

Classes would be actual categories that tie you to various kills and stats. eg Knight, Paladin, Wizard.

Within that group, you have qualifiers "Weak Knight" vs "Strong Knight"

You'd also have subcategories of knights "Lesser Knight", "Great Knight".

I suppose fame would be better linked with being a title that gives bonuses, as opposed to a class.

Well since you don't physically "change" as a human as far as species etc go, you just change classes.

Titles would be achievements that you end up doing, like Kin Easter/Slayer, or Demon Hunter etc.

Classes would be actual categories that tie you to various kills and stats. eg Knight, Paladin, Wizard.

Within that group, you have qualifiers "Weak Knight" vs "Strong Knight"

You'd also have subcategories of knights "Lesser Knight", "Great Knight".

I suppose fame would be better linked with being a title that gives bonuses, as opposed to a class.
    Well, since you mentioned "Hero" (a lesser known kind), that to me seemed to entail some sort of Title.

Now if we go by classes as you say, the way you mention it, then that's a possibility. That said, have we've been shown any human's stats yet, to see if they indeed have classes (within the system, not merely something you call yourself or role)?

I meant to say that the voice doesn't tell people to kill Taboo users or give instructions - so I initially didn't even think that they were worshipping the Lvling up voice.
    No, what I think is happening is that there is a regular-ass religion with a god that she was raised in. Then she hears the system voice and then goes "This must be god!"

And I DON'T think the voice is telling her to kill people. The way it seems is the voice tells her about skills, she sees one called Taboo and thinks "God is telling me this is taboo. So it's forbidden. So everyone that has it must die." because she's a fanatical psycho.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    also we don't know if everyone has access to the same skill set menu.
    Are we sure the locals even HAVE the voice? Maybe the system is only accessible by otherworlders.

And even if they did, without our real world video game context, yes, locals would assume the system is a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Well, since you mentioned "Hero" (a lesser known kind), that to me seemed to entail some sort of Title.
    In JRPGs though, "Hero" is usually a class. Especially in Dragon Quest, which is the main influence for all these isekai.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sat, 02-06-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    No, what I think is happening is that there is a regular-ass religion with a god that she was raised in. And as someone from another world, she hears the system voice and then goes "This must be god!"

And I DON'T think the voice is telling her to kill people. The way it seems is the voice tells her about skills, she sees one called Taboo and thinks "God is telling me this is taboo. So it's forbidden. So everyone that has it must die." because she's a fanatical psycho.
    Went back to watch the scene, and you may have point. I was under the impression that it was a religion thing, but at no moment did she mention that the religion Followers of the Word of God itself banned Taboo, just a personal view of hers.

That said, we haven't seen the characters act as if the system voice is unique for them right? That would be something to look out for.

No, what I think is happening is that there is a regular-ass religion with a god that she was raised in. Then she hears the system voice and then goes "This must be god!"

Good point, and makes a lot more sense than what I proposed.

It is a bit sad though that the other kids were like, "She wasn't like this at all before, it's because she was abandoned by her parents here right away who tossed her into a convent." While they're all princes and princesses and nobles and stuff.

I wonder how that makes their elven teacher feel? She's finding them somehow, pointing out that she's definitely missing a few.

edit: Sometimes it feels like Fei is the only one actually aware of how unbalanced things are across their classroom's reincarnation. The guy turned into a princess is like..."uh, well, at least I get to still hang with my best bud!"
    Obviously Kumo does too, but she's completely isolated.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 02-06-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Isn't Kumoko's name spoiler for anime only people like me ? unless this is just a practical name everyone uses now

Feels like we could get out of that cave... at last !
    Good food at last, though we have now ways to know how spider taste buds work.
    Kumoko has speed nearing Fei's, now she needs to level-up all other stats.
    But her cave seems to be the perfect leveling place... should she survive.

I wonder if the story will really play with what it means to be human.
    Fei is an example, but we could also argue that Kumoko has to survive as a spider monster, won't she forget what being human means/feels like at some point ?
    I think it was also a small point/question Ains had at some point in Overlord

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Isn't Kumoko's name spoiler for anime only people like me ? unless this is just a practical name everyone uses now
    Great news! "Kumoko" is an unofficial name, collectively used by the audience for convenience.

It's just 'girl spider'.

Her official credited name is 'watashi' or simply 'I/me' as the first person narrator.

I definitely do think the religious girl is somewhat mentally broken. She's a good example of not being able to deal with memory retaining reincarnation. It wouldn't surprise me if she could deal with it so badly that it's the very reason she was abandoned by her parents. Maybe she started talking "nonsense" to the parents about Japan and whatnot, and the parents were worried and ultimately horrified enough to abandon her. They might have thought she's possessed. She's also the perfect candidate for religious brainwashing if she can't deal with reality and thus needs something extremely solid and unquestionable to rely on, which is typically a god/religion. Under such circumstances, it makes more than perfect sense for her to view the system voice as the voice of a god. Along the lines DarthEnderX said, she would naturally go out of her way to interpret everything she heard and saw from a point of view that reinforces the faith she needs for (psychological) survival.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    She calls herself Kumoko-san in the ED as she sings.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Didn't watch the ED entirely (or even just listen carefully)
    As for the name, yes I knew the simple and befiting meaning

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Obviously, she's going to remain nameless until she runs into Rimuru.

---

SPIDEY-SENSE!

Okay, that's the form from the ED, and it looks rad.

The split mind thing also explains another part of the OP and ED.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 02-12-2021 at 11:22 AM.

---

SPIDEY-SENSE!

Okay, that's the form from the ED, and it looks rad.

The split mind thing also explains another part of the OP and ED.
    Looks like there's a Demon Lord that hunts down monsters that get too powerful for her liking or not under her control, this episode seems to foreshadow what will happen as our spider keeps getting stronger.

With that said, is the Demon Lord and Hero related somehow, or can she manipulate events to make use of this Hero (who I assume is supposed to hunt her) to do her biding from the shadows?

Anyways, great to see more powerful characters introduced. At first I thought the Hero was after our spider or maybe after Mother, and honestly was hoping he'd be more powerful.
    Last edited by Munsu; Fri, 02-12-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Who is "Mother"?

The jokes in this episode were on point. All the "Let me explain" parts were also done well.

The earth dragon's cute af. Just a big talking pet lazing around. :3.

Also, Kumoko's speed is now 1300.. that's pretty rad.

Who is "Mother"?
    The huge spider that lay the eggs she was born from, who was then eating them and tried to eat her.. She called her Mother or some such.

Also the monster spider that was killed in this episode was talking, interesting.

The jokes in this episode were on point. All the "Let me explain" parts were also done well.

The earth dragon's cute af. Just a big talking pet lazing around. :3.

Also, Kumoko's speed is now 1300.. that's pretty rad.
    The delivery of the jokes have been better as has her sarcastic commentary. I thought the same with the dragon, and I forget how big she's gotten from when she began.

Honestly, there's some much visual and text input in this episodes, I'm really ignoring all the skills/stats as they're presented. It was something huge I paid attention as I was reading the LN, but can't be bothered with the anime.
    Last edited by Munsu; Fri, 02-12-2021 at 06:44 PM.