Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Cockroach girl is getting cuter by the yandere-second.

I'm enjoying the one non-harem girl's story so far.

Interesting that other people's attacks can harm him- he just has regeneration and a high pain tolerance.

What an odd tone shift to the new character (2nd year) to show up for the inconsequential 'practice fight', get clowned, and then also stop by wizard girl just to get yuri-jealous and downtrodden just in time to be presumably manipulated by the 'other' kid from the super village... all in one episode. I thought I zoned out during some connecting scenes, but nope; straight shift to force this story beat. Curious...

I mean, she is right to be jealous. Her crush is CLEARLY crushing on Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    Cockroach girl is getting cuter by the yandere-second.
    I must have missed or dismissed something... why cockroach?

I'm enjoying the one non-harem girl's story so far.
    Who is the non-harem one? The mercenary Riho? Well, she did accept the "date", but at least not jaded like the rest. And yeah, from all the ones we've seen, her background is the most of interesting so far for me.

Interesting that other people's attacks can harm him- he just has regeneration and a high pain tolerance.
    Have we seen him take a hit before? Don't recall if he took a hit from Merthophan or if he blocked them all. Didn't seem to get hurt back then, and Merthophan was more than the other characters could handle, so maybe it's just that this is girl is insanely strong too? Would like to go back and see the Merthophan fight to see if anything catches my eye.

What an odd tone shift to the new character (2nd year) to show up for the inconsequential 'practice fight', get clowned, and then also stop by wizard girl just to get yuri-jealous and downtrodden just in time to be presumably manipulated by the 'other' kid from the super village... all in one episode. I thought I zoned out during some connecting scenes, but nope; straight shift to force this story beat. Curious...
    Yeah, they arrived from nowhere as well... quite jarring when we haven't seen any interaction with them prior to this. Was the context that they weren't chosen to participate in the intra-school battle? It would make sense if they wanted to show that they should be the ones representing the school, but they came out of nowhere... but as you put it, odd that it happened, just so that she then showed up at the witch's house, only to be then start the setup with someone seeming to have ulterior motives.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    I must have missed or dismissed something... why cockroach?
    When she was spying on the two of them from outside, she was called that by the passerby dude that got subsequently beat down, and then she crawled on the wall into the cafe in a way eerily similar to one (comedically, as if to suggest she was, in fact, acting like a cockroach).

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    When she was spying on the two of them from outside, she was called that by the passerby dude that got subsequently beat down, and then she crawled on the wall into the cafe in a way eerily similar to one (comedically, as if to suggest she was, in fact, acting like a cockroach).
    Oh right, lol. Completely forgot about that even as I rewatched that scene hahaha.

Quit after half of episode 1. Does this get significantly better later on? :/

What I saw felt like someone made an Atelier Ryza-anime, but switched the sexy girl for a balls-less shota :/

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Quit after half of episode 1. Does this get significantly better later on?
    No. That's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    What I saw felt like someone made an Atelier Ryza-anime, but switched the sexy girl for a balls-less shota
    I guess. But pretty much every other character in the show is a girl. It's 1000% doing the "sexually oblivious harem protagonist" thing.

But it's still funny.

It's blatant and deliberately telegraphed gags. But it works because the characters in-universe all play completely straight until the gag lands.
    - The yandere is funny
    - The tsundere is cute
    - The spaz witch is entertaining
    - The yandere-lite OP witch is also entertaining with the spaz witch
    - The looming doom vibes get deflated instantly by the "I guess I'm not good enough," OP male lead.
    - The kuudere hasn't grown on me yet

I have insanely low expectations for the weekly episodes, but they still make me laugh without fail.

It's not Keijo!!! tier (trashy but engaging because it takes itself so seriously), but that's the vibe the series gives me. Expect nothing, but be entertained and engaged each week somehow anyway.

edit:
    example: They reuse the gag a lot where Lloyd showing up behind someone or from through a door makes them nearly shit themselves, then he greets them all friendly, chipper, and oblivious, yet they still make it funny every time.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Thu, 02-18-2021 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    - The kuudere hasn't grown on me yet
    Trying to figure out who the kuudere in this series is... Maria?

I was referring to Phyllo, the blond martial arts amazon, though she does also go into yandere mode.

I was referring to Phyllo, the blond martial arts amazon, though she does also go into yandere mode.
    I pegged her as the yandere-lite OP witch in your list, but now not sure she's IS a witch... so then I thought by spaz witch you meant her sister LOL. So now I know you meant Maria and the grandma for those slots.

I'm going to need a legend here.

I love Phyllo personally, but honestly of all the characters adapted, I think she's the least one I've liked in how it was handled.

Phyllo punting Lloyd out of the house, and specifically having him deflect off the mountain was one of the best set up gags in a recent series.

They spent almost the entire episode seemingly randomly setting up the pieces for that joke, and it paid off brilliantly.

For now don't think I'm going to watch more, I stopped when the hotel arc began. It had a few changes that I didn't care for, not that important in the end, but mostly the anime is going beyond what I've read in the LN and don't want to spoil that for myself, even though honestly I don't care all that much for the LN series.

May return in the future to finish the anime.

It was funny, pretty much the whole way through.

I actually really like what they've done with the RPG-inspired fantasy genre in general here.

The gags are funny and set up pretty flawlessly every time. The characters are right on the cusp of being annoying as shit, and that works for the angle on the humor they're going for. Each one fits at least one cliché, and they abuse the standard very nicely in each instance.

And the plot isn't overwritten in any way. It just all works.

You're not going to find a particularly compelling narrative, but you will find an exceptionally enjoyable one.

It was funny, pretty much the whole way through.

I actually really like what they've done with the RPG-inspired fantasy genre in general here.

The gags are funny and set up pretty flawlessly every time. The characters are right on the cusp of being annoying as shit, and that works for the angle on the humor they're going for. Each one fits at least one cliché, and they abuse the standard very nicely in each instance.

And the plot isn't overwritten in any way. It just all works.

You're not going to find a particularly compelling narrative, but you will find an exceptionally enjoyable one.
    I had an inkling that this series would work quite well animated, it has some good comedy going for it even though I don't care all that much for the LN, though it's a palate cleanser when needed. Not at the level of Konosuba, but I figure it has a target for those that are missing something along those lines. But as said in the previous post, I'm not watching more of the series since I want to read more of the LN before I do so. At the very least, glad some enjoyed it and probably will boost sales of the LN.

That's why I kept the spoilers out for you.

That's why I kept the spoilers out for you.
    Feel free to discuss the content assuming someone else is still watching. The last LN I read was in the hotel arc with the treant monster, so it couldn't go much further than that I reckon regardless.