Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jujutsu Kaisen

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I guess what is strange to me is that Goto (the strongest person in the series currently) said that attack was very good, and now muscle dude is refuting that. By shounen timing logic, the last person to make a statement (about strength) is usually the most correct, but I'm not sure how to reconcile the contradiction given their standings...

At the same time, Goto is a bit of an airhead who might say things flippantly, but he also oversaw Yuji's training earnestly, so I'm not sure if this is the author pivoting for power up opportunities, or a genuine wrinkle in how this power will be shaped.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Goto saw potential, my way of seeing that attack combo is a bit like a missile exploding before impact having a greater destructive power than synchonised or post impact detonation.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    I guess what is strange to me is that Goto (the strongest person in the series currently) said that attack was very good, and now muscle dude is refuting that. By shounen timing logic, the last person to make a statement (about strength) is usually the most correct, but I'm not sure how to reconcile the contradiction given their standings...
    Maybe it's good for reasons that Todo doesn't consider to be important.

The double hit seems to work great on curses, and is good for catching targets off guard, but it lacks pure power, which is probably the only thing Todo respects.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Episode 16

---------------------

Goto probably said that because it was the best option for Itadori at the time.

But as Toudou said, pure strength is what'll help you defeat the strongest opponents. A strange attack will help you defeat middle tier opponents who are already susceptible to your weaker attacks more efficiently, but it's the strong attack that will win you a battle you'd otherwise lose.

This anime kicks ass. I like the fights, the art style and the characters in general are pleasant to watch. There's not a single character on screen that I wish never had any screen time.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Honestly, I could've done without the whole s.Cry.ed like mecha, but man I loved Panda. Found it funny that the mission is to kill Itadori, but Toudou goes and tells his new bestie that he's going all out, try not to die.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I like how Mecha-dude switched his tactics nonchalantly from being offensive to elusive without saying anything before Panda started pointing it out.
    Kinda cool overall.
    Really love the fights too. They are so "diverse". Weapons, abilities, they all have different fighting styles and methods and you can actually see it during the fight much more clearly than in other shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Episode 16

Goto probably said that because it was the best option for Itadori at the time.
    That makes the most sense, but I found the timing a bit off. Usually, when shounen main character develops a new killer technique, it is useful at least during one fight or arc before the paradigm shift calls for a refinement. Yuji never even used it in a fight and it is already the old model? Just strikes me as odd...

Good fight for the panda, and I'm glad to know what he actually is, now. I typically wish for some form of power rankings in these battle scenarios- an old habit I've been trying to kick- but the ones in this show confuse me a bit at a glance. The grade is the level of cursed spirit that they can comfortably take on, so they are a bit stronger than those? I suppose that doesn't apply to how they should match up to each other (jujutsu sorcerers). What was the point of this event again, narratively?

For some reason, I thought this was going to be a tournament arc before last episode, but this show moves way too fast for that, I guess. I'll make an effort to enjoy this for what this is, instead of the older shows it sometimes reminds me of.

For some reason, I thought this was going to be a tournament arc before last episode, but this show moves way too fast for that, I guess. I'll make an effort to enjoy this for what this is, instead of the older shows it sometimes reminds me of.
    I thought the same, but I like this better... even though it's technically kinda of a tournament arc, but would've liked or would like to see more group battles instead of individual fights.

Usually, when shounen main character develops a new killer technique, it is useful at least during one fight or arc before the paradigm shift calls for a refinement. Yuji never even used it in a fight and it is already the old model?
    Didn't he use it to great effect against Mahito?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Didn't he use it to great effect against Mahito?
    That's something that's been bothering me too, I seem to recall it was effective there as well. Maybe it was also because of the bad match-up he was for him, but it's something that isn't fitting for me in the narrative. Guess we'll see if it's elaborated further.

I believe it had to do with Mahito's specific nature. The "You can't hurt me unless you hit my spirit core" and something about his special punches allowed him to strike through to his spirit core.

And also the whole "I can't shapeshift his spirit or Sekuna will fucking kill me" bit.

So A. He can't use his main ability on him, and B. He has attacks that can actually hurt him. Just an overall bad matchup.

...holy moly... I forgot he had and used it during that (Mahito) fight. I rescind my comment. I forgot that fight even took place somehow. I guess other elements of the confrontation took my attention away; the pieces all fit together nicely now.

I think in my mind I thought he wasn't allowed to fight in public since his training because he was supposed to be dead. Whoops. Perhaps because (and this is no excuse or complaint) this show moves so fast I can actually get jumbled as to when events happened.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Episode 17:

Oh wow... look at them go. This was a full episode worth of both action and some background story.
    Really awesome.
    Loved the fight between Maki and Miwa

Poor Miwa, she knew she was fucked xD.

There's quite a lot of difference in grading amongst all the competitors. Given that there's not very many students at all (only 3 First Graders were enrolled at Tokyo this year), the currently participating students probably form the bulk of students overall (I'd say at least half). Normally it'd be strange to send a mixture of weak and strong participants for a "tournament", but if that's all they've got then that stands to reason. It's officially an exchange event after all.

I can't wait to see Itadori vs Toudou again.

Agreed, the Maki vs. Miwa fight was awesome, not necessarily because it was a good fight, but all the effects while fighting in the water and the tricks Maki deployed were great to see.

Man, Maki is such a badass... I wonder how the new revelations would affect the Panda rankings and if they do affect it, why Panda didn't judge her appropriately based on what we've seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Agreed, the Maki vs. Miwa fight was awesome, not necessarily because it was a good fight, but all the effects while fighting in the water and the tricks Maki deployed were great to see.

Man, Maki is such a badass... I wonder how the new revelations would affect the Panda rankings and if they do affect it, why Panda didn't judge her appropriately based on what we've seen?
    1) I think Panda rankings just went by official rankings. For example, Curse Voice fellow is strong against curses, but against humans he plays support/sneak attack. Or in this case, not at all - he's just going after the actual goal. Maki can't kill curses without a cursed weapon (can she even make her own cursed weapons, or must she be forever reliant on someone else even if it's a merchant/smith?)

2) I think it was also deliberately there to alter our expectations given that we know Maki vs Miwa was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    1) I think Panda rankings just went by official rankings. For example, Curse Voice fellow is strong against curses, but against humans he plays support/sneak attack. Or in this case, not at all - he's just going after the actual goal. Maki can't kill curses without a cursed weapon (can she even make her own cursed weapons, or must she be forever reliant on someone else even if it's a merchant/smith?)

2) I think it was also deliberately there to alter our expectations given that we know Maki vs Miwa was going to happen.
    Well, all the instructors agree that she should be second grade, and he who spends a lot of time with her should know better.

That said, when he showed the rankings he mentioned "By my guess, this is where EVERYONE stands", so it very well could be that his guess was only for the other school solely and went with official rankings for his school. I had interpreted it as he was assigning levels to everyone, including Maki, based on his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Well, all the instructors agree that she should be second grade, and he who spends a lot of time with her should know better.

That said, when he showed the rankings he mentioned "By my guess, this is where EVERYONE stands", so it very well could be that his guess was only for the other school solely and went with official rankings for his school. I had interpreted it as he was assigning levels to everyone, including Maki, based on his experience.
    He went with official rankings period. Even against the enemy he was guessing their official rank. Many know that Maki is as good as 2nd Grade, but they all refer to her as 4th grade because that's what her rank officially is.

The point of that scene was to show relatively strength (albeit incorrectly), and to make us think that both Panda and Maki were punching above their weight in their respective fights.

Based on these fights, I'm guessing that you have to be at least S grade to use Domain Expansion properly.

Some good fights that only skimp on the emotional investment. My all-time favorites, because they go slower, feel like more buildup which makes the payoffs more impactful due to the context. For better or worse, Jujutsu isn't interested in laying that groundwork very thoroughly, but that can be refreshing in its own way.

Episode 18:

Another awesome episode, and the stakes have been raised. Rocker grandpa, and Gojo's jokes in this one were good too.