My American friends still keep doubting the seriousness of the pandemic, to the point that they say they are tired of dealing with it, despite having basically done nothing to actually deal with it... The terrifying thing is my wife likes hanging out with these people for her mental health (gets lonely easily), despite them being an infection risk. I'm basically given a choice of depressing my wife or possibly getting infected by reckless Americans.

I've tried convincing them to be more careful, but that doesn't really work when they think they are invulnerable and don't "truly" give a shit about others. It is a bit shocking how propaganda can affect even generally reasonable people. They buy into Facebook posts with no context or source and won't listen to me even though I go through several articles a day to keep up with covid developments nationally and globally. When I send links to articles, they treat them with the same level of trustworthiness as some rando posting on their feed.