Thread: Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai

300758.jpg

"Shibuya is a city full of identity. It is here on Shibuya's late night streets that illustrator Kouzuki Mahiru, former idol Yamanouchi Kano, Vtuber Watase Kiui and composer Takanashi Kim Anouk Mei — four young women who are slightly outside the world — join together and form an anonymous artist group called JELEE. "I" also want to shine like someone else. If it's not me but "we" then we might be able to shine.

Source: HIDIVE"

Genre(s): Drama, Music?

Research

Not really my cup of tea, but it seemed like a decent show if you're looking for some adolescent angst and self discovery with the background of 'making it big' in artistic fields.

At first, I could have sworn this was a P.A. Works show given the subject matter and animation, but apparently Doga Kobo is trying its hand at more subdued, 'mature' storytelling this season (still a little bit of fan service though). Give it a shot if you got a slot left.

Yeah...I should not have slept on this. It's substantially more engaging that most shows this season for me. Every episode is very dense and topical about the arts & entertainment industry in Tokyo and both the main cast and the secondary cast get a lot of character development in a realistic manner.

The description of the premise sounds super generic and bland, but the actual execution of it is really good.

It is still fundamentally a "girls doing things cutely" series, but it is drastically more like the superior PA Works series and might even surpass them. It's closest to Shirobako, but social media art & music scene. Also some flavor of Sora yori mo Tooi Basho and Sakura Quest.

It might be more apt to describe it as something like: "Girls who hit their initial social or creative peak a little too early, became disillusioned, but put in the work for their respective creative comebacks."

Also, every episode has been good and each builds off the previous. On eps 6 out of 9 currently out.

Each of the main cast has a connection to each other on a social or creative level, so they weren't thrown together in a hackneyed plot event. They've been connected long before the story starts in one or more ways to each other.