Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Alternative title:
    Snow White with the Red Hair (English)
    Shirayuki aux cheveux rouges (French)
    赤髪の白雪姫 (Japanese)

Genres: adventure, fantasy, romance
    Themes: historical

Synopsis:
    Shirayuki was a young girl born with unique apple-red hair. She meets a famous but foolish Prince Raji, who falls in love with her at first sight and orders her to become his concubine. With nowhere else to go, Shirayuki cuts her hair and escapes to a neighboring country. While traversing through the forests, she meets a young boy, Zen, who helps her after she boldly cures his wounds but then gets poisoned by an apple given to Shirayuki. Meanwhile, Prince Raji sends out henchmen to search for her. What will happen to Shirayuki? What is Zen's true character? A refreshing fantasy story between an optimistic heroine and a prince who constantly stays on her watch. -MAL

Links: ANN, MAL, Official

Download: Link

---------------------------------------

This is an easy shoujo watch. The feel is very fairytale-like. There aren't really any surprises, and they do a pretty decent job of making Shirayuki competent enough, but also weak enough to need rescuing. I watch it like a lighter version of The World is Still Beautiful.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I watched the first episode a while ago, didn't care for it.

Does it get better?

But yeah, I know what you mean about an easy shoujo watch. But since I'm not into shoujo's, with rare exceptions, this didn't hold my interest beyond the first episode.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The first episode is a pretty good indicator for the rest of the series I think. You either think "Everyone is so pretty in this series, I think I'll keep watching" or not.

One of the shows I was the most looking forward to this summer season. I've been reading the manga since forever, and it's one of my favourite manga. I'm also fairly satisfied with this show. This isn't exactly a strong story, the characters aren't super interesting, nor is there a dramatic setting like in Soredemo Sekai, but it just works for me. There are no characters I'd really hate. They all have some things going for them, and some things not going for them. I like how balanced the main pair is. Zen is tied by his station and is a subject to his crafty older brother, but he's quite a romantic, whereas Shirayuki is very skilled, but almost frustratingly puts always her career in front of everything else, Zen incuded. Since I'm not a fan of triangles, I prefer this sort of a situation where the people are more held back by the rules, social standings, and other aspects of their reality. They are obstacles they must overcome, but they are still destined to end together, not with some third wheel.

I didn't create a thread for this show, despite it being among my favourites, because I didn't think anybody else would watch it. I mean, even Ryll wouldn't, and that's saying something already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    One of the shows I was the most looking forward to this summer season. I've been reading the manga since forever, and it's one of my favourite manga. I'm also fairly satisfied with this show. This isn't exactly a strong story, the characters aren't super interesting, nor is there a dramatic setting like in Soredemo Sekai, but it just works for me. There are no characters I'd really hate. They all have some things going for them, and some things not going for them. I like how balanced the main pair is. Zen is tied by his station and is a subject to his crafty older brother, but he's quite a romantic, whereas Shirayuki is very skilled, but almost frustratingly puts always her career in front of everything else, Zen incuded. Since I'm not a fan of triangles, I prefer this sort of a situation where the people are more held back by the rules, social standings, and other aspects of their reality. They are obstacles they must overcome, but they are still destined to end together, not with some third wheel.

I didn't create a thread for this show, despite it being among my favourites, because I didn't think anybody else would watch it. I mean, even Ryll wouldn't, and that's saying something already.
    I'm of the opinion that every single series deserves a thread even if no one will ever post beyond the OP.

I'm watching this, but I agree that there isn't really anything special about it.
    It isn't bad, but it isn't amazing.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    The picture you chose for this thread looks like a spoiler

Anime is decent, Shirayuki is cute, "female knight" is best girl (like always) and that thief guy is a pretty cool dude in my book.
    Animation is good/great and its overall interesting enough to care about and to wait for another episode each week
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Mon, 08-31-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Episode 8 - HS

- - - -- --

I know it's hardly uncommon in anime in general, but I find it just a little bit annoying how this anime keeps rearranging scenes from the manga in a new order. But at least filler isn't added. Perhaps it bothers me because it feels like underestimating the audience.

Zen is a somewhat long suffering youth, with the regular poisonings, overbearingly competent big brother, and now this. All the better after all that he met the super cute Shirayuki. It's karma.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    As a fresh audience, I don't see any problems with the scenes as they are right now.

Episode 9 - HS

- -- - - -

Shirayuki is so damn cute. Dunno what else to say about this episode. Not a whole lot happened. The next arc seems to begin in the next episode. The last for now, of course, with the show ending soon.

Episode 10 - HS

-- - - - - -

The episode that demonstrated why shoujo always beats shounen at least in one single thing, if not in any other.

Episode 11 - HS

- - - - -

The previous and this eps were undoubtly one of the highlights of the series. The actual bird story arc in the background seemed inconsequential compared to what was happening with Zen and Shirayuki. Exceedingly mushy fairy tail romance stuff, but I liked it a lot.

Looks like there's still one ep left in this season, but to be honest this would have been the perfect spot to end it until January.

I watched a few more episodes, up to episode 4 now. In all not caring all that much for this series, but my impressions have been much better than that of the first episode. At the very least it's serving its purpose as palate cleanser. Hope to catch up by tonight.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    watched 8 recently (GJM is slow), didn't understand why she took it as an insult when thief-kun said "maybe it'd have been better if he is not a prince".

I mean, the prince himself might think that way - I get it that they wanted to show that she doesn't care about that at all, but why did she go as far as being angry about that statement? It wasn't directed at her (at least that's what I think) and it wasn't meant to discredit his ability as a prince/noble whatever.

I believe it's because she had accepted him as a prince and a part of why she joined the castle staff as a court pharmacist is to support Zen the prince. Zen is who he is, with all the burdens of the station, like the inability to freely make friends or trust people. She loves him just like he is. Not to mention she's a highly practical person, not wishy-washy, so there are no what-ifs in her view of the world. Wishing for things to be different, easier, would cheapen all the effort they have invested so far.

I believe it's because she had accepted him as a prince and a part of why she joined the castle staff as a court pharmacist is to support Zen the prince. Zen is who he is, with all the burdens of the station, like the inability to freely make friends or trust people. She loves him just like he is. Not to mention she's a highly practical person, not wishy-washy, so there are no what-ifs in her view of the world. Wishing for things to be different, easier, would cheapen all the effort they have invested so far.
    Agree with much of this.

Anyways, I just caught up. The series improved substantially for me on episode 8 with the inclusion of action that didn't hold back, that was violent. The whole hitting people with the hilt of the sword was a joke and it grew old quite fast. So that was nice to see.

I wish there was more political drama than we've had so far, but the series has served it's purpose for me so far, so all's good. Thankfully no real love triangle has developed.

Watching this is reminding me of the Saiunkoku Monogatari series which I never finished, but I recall enjoying quite a bit. Downloading now to see if I can do it. You guys manage to watch that series?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Watching this is reminding me of the Saiunkoku Monogatari series which I never finished, but I recall enjoying quite a bit. Downloading now to see if I can do it. You guys manage to watch that series?
    No. I saw someone compare this show to the Saiunkoku elsewhere, though. Maybe I should have a look at it.

No. I saw someone compare this show to the Saiunkoku elsewhere, though. Maybe I should have a look at it.
    Not sure how it really compares, but since I watch so few shoujos, the comparison is quite easy for me to make. I think you'd enjoy it. It has been well regarded last I recall.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I watched everything about saiunkoku. It is very different from the current show as this is a reverse harem that was nice to watch and I was intoxicated by the eru songs at the time.The heroines are very different in their character, the princes/emperors too. I really wonder on what basis other than emperor/prince gets an outside girl. And in Saiunkoku, the heroine is from a lineage, and has all the qualities to be an emperor, but her gender.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I think the main point of the comparison was that in both this show and Saiunkoku the main girl isn't all about romance but they have stuff and ambition in their lives they want to achieve. That's something I really appreciate in Shirayuki, although at the same time it also frustrates me (because it inevitably slows down the romance).