As expected, this is a girlmance between Kumiko and Reina, restoring their former friendship. Reina does know her best, despite their recent distance and Kumiko making new friends that see her false front more than the truth.

The discussion about Reina feeling one shrine is more classy, grown-up, and wanting to be unique was quite telling. As was dressing up and wearing high-heels to hike up a mountain. I almost felt bad for Kumiko being outshined when she's so image obsessed herself, but then I remembered something.

It's like the C.S. Lewis quote:
"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."

Is this all about Reina being obsessed with the idea of being a classy, adult woman...because she admires Taki-sensei so much (to the point of being a little creepy about it) and wants to be worthy of him? It's kinda fucked up, but I guess not all the surprising. It's an adolescent's crush. Or is she merely obsessed with the idea of standing out for its own sake?

Compare her to Asuka, who doesn't care what anyone thinks about her and plays around doing whatever she wants, but still makes insightful comments to her peers and underclassmen, is knowledgeable about her passion, and knows her limits. The same goes for the far less showy Riko and Gotou.

The child who wants to be an adult, and the young lady who acts like a child but is actually the most responsible member of the cast.

Random notes:

- Bless Reina for recognizing that Kumiko is indeed a bit of a bitch with a horrible personality...and as a compliment.

- Kohaku? What an ominous name for a near-twin.

- Shuichi is a dumbass. Kumiko wants nothing to do with him romantically. He had his chance, years ago. Kumiko never forgot about what happened. She friend-zoned his ass.