Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Like the previous match, France had a difficult game with lots of technical mistakes. Seems like the group is fairly tired, which is usual at that point in a world cup. The Nigeria also suffered from fatigue and it seems in the last 15 minutes were not able to keep enough pressure and let the match go. It is to be noted that in the first 20 minutes of second half, the Nigerians were clearly dominating and lost their chance in changing the game. But maybe then, they lost the energy and pressure that would give the French opportunities later in the game.

Next opponent is either Germany or Algeria. We'll know in the next 4 hours.
    A France/Algeria game would be a nightmare, prone to civial war... no really. Anytime Algeria wins or loses a game (for the past 5 years), there are burnt/vandalised cars or shops. You understand that I'd rather have Germany win against Algeria, not for the sport, but for peace reasons...
    Looks like you got your wish...I am not sure who will win FRA v GER, but hopefully it is a good match. Friday will have some good games! And tomorrow the US faces off against Belgium. I don't like our chances, but if we can stay focused on defense and do well on our short passing near the box, I think we can win.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I want to see Pepe in a match against Suarez and Robben. Bunch of tools deserve one another.
    What did Robben do?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    What did Robben do?
    He dove a couple times in the match with Nigeria, then admitted to it in a post-match interview. Of course then video highlights of him diving throughout his career popped up so you can see what a p.o.s. he is.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

He dove a couple times in the match with Nigeria, then admitted to it in a post-match interview. Of course then video highlights of him diving throughout his career popped up so you can see what a p.o.s. he is.
    You are knocking a soccer player for diving? As abhorrent as diving is, everyone knows that it is part of the game. I would actually give him props for admitting to it. The most disturbing thing about Arjen Robben for me is that he looks like he is about 42 years old and is younger than me.

He is also really fast (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wor...-Cup-2014.html)

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    You are knocking a soccer player for diving? As abhorrent as diving is, everyone knows that it is part of the game. I would actually give him props for admitting to it. The most disturbing thing about Arjen Robben for me is that he looks like he is about 42 years old and is younger than me.

He is also really fast (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wor...-Cup-2014.html)
    Yeah I guess I'm not such a huge fan that I forgive a problem that is endemic to the game. I don't know that I will ever be able to forgive such lack of sportsmanship. It's pervasive in hockey now too, so much so that they had to institute a penalty for diving. Can you imagine if guys flopped or exaggerated holds and interference to draw penalties in American football? The fans wouldn't stand for it.

I can't give a guy like Robben props for admitting it when he does it so matter-of-factly and unashamedly. He said, "I probably shouldn't be doing that" or some pansy shit in defense of his actions.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    You are knocking a soccer player for diving?
    you are not? where are you from? italy?

just because the majority does it, doesn't mean its okay..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6SpIllxiw
    not saying he "never" does it, I wouldn't know because I'm not watching him regulary. however, the video is very clear on why diving is annoying, bad and shouldn't be done
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrGgabJXowk

just look at it! this guys is like.. what? 5'8 / 1,70m? its so much fun to watch him *fight* through all that pulling and tripping. Diving should be punished much harder, but its way to difficult to identify it on the spot.... sadly
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 07-02-2014 at 12:36 PM.

They never played Nigeria.
    -----------------

Yeah it was one of those useless foreign teams, who cares really. Way to miss the point.

I can't give a guy like Robben props for admitting it when he does it so matter-of-factly and unashamedly. He said, "I probably shouldn't be doing that" or some pansy shit in defense of his actions.
    This article's for you, Ani.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    This article's for you, Ani.
    Good article. I'm a big opponent of "it is what it is" kind of thinking. I prefer to make positive changes and the first step is to recognize there's a problem. Diving in soccer isn't a world-rending issue, but it's easier to deal with than war and hunger, yet nothing is done about it. As many issues as FIFA has, this is one that could be dealt with rather easily to improve the game's image and sportsmanship.

So now that the US is out, who are you all hoping wins the World Cup? Personally I want Argentina to win.

I'm rooting for Germany, then the Netherlands.

Netherlands vs Colombia in the finals. I favor NL, though Colombia deserves to win.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Mueller is another diving p.o.s. No wonder Pepe went after him in that first game.

If you hate such a large part of the game why do you bother watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    If you hate such a large part of the game why do you bother watching?
    Come on, it's not such a large part of the game. I've watched pretty much every WC game and the only instances of diving that really bug me are Robben in the Mexico game and every game Mueller has played in. Watching the US games, I didn't see a single dive that I can recall. I just love how they flail their arms and go all 4 limbs to the sky when they are barely clipped. Fucking terribly pansy of them.

Neymar is out with a fractured vertebra and Thiago Silva is yellow carded out of the next game. They're screwed against Germany. It was hard to tell if Neymar was really hurt at first because he rolled around on the ground in pain the same as he does anytime he is touched by an opposing player.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    France is out.
    So after all they really had an easier group and Switzerland was not as though as their rank suggested.
    The last 3 matches were all the same, technical passes never going really well and inability to shoot right.
    The most important thing in a WC is the ability to manage the base level needed to survive each game when everyone is tired.
    Seems Germany has a tradition of being able to do just that.
    Also, I think we should have lost the Nigeria game, which was extremely similar to that one. The main difference is that the first goal was refused. If they had goaled then, my guess is that game would have been lost in the same fashion.

I was really surprised at all the missed passes and the inability to change tactics, always repeating the same long passes that are hard to get for tired players and easy to intercept for defenders...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Mueller is another diving p.o.s. No wonder Pepe went after him in that first game.
    you are wrong, Müller went after Pepe, not the other way around

its not a dive if a foul has been committed btw
    just saying, what müller is doing is play-acting

However, when did Müller dive against France. I remember Klose overreacting to some shirt pulling, but not Müller doing anything outrageous this time
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 07-05-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    you are wrong, Müller went after Pepe, not the other way around

its not a dive if a foul has been committed btw
    just saying, what müller is doing is play-acting

However, when did Müller dive against France. I remember Klose overreacting to some shirt pulling, but not Müller doing anything outrageous this time
    Sorry, can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I like this article from Slate:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/06/16/dive_of_the_day.html

I can't say when Mueller dived against France, I just tend to post immediately after seeing an instance. I guess none were so bad by most standards, I've still new to this game so any exaggerated fall is upsetting.

Play-acting is a nice way of putting it. The official term is "simulation" which is a bs way of hiding a shitty aspect of the sport.

edit: And Argentina scores!