Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I see personally that if you jump for the ball, you leave yourself open to injury from other players jumping at you "going for the ball". So defending yourself by raising your legs is smart, plus it can help you get more air (how Michael Jordan used to jump so high and maintain so much air time). Your basketball analogy doesn't really work, as that sort of contact is blatant and not a part of the game. But in soccer, jumping for the ball, slide tackling, and clipping are common occurrences while going for the ball.
    I really don't understand the logic here. If two players are jumping for the ball, sure there is some risk to both players. It is only fair that one isn't allowed to raise their legs to *defend* themselves at the expense of the other also going for the ball. Why is it *smart* if one player blatantly disregards the rules to risk injury to the other one that is actually following them? That is just dirty...

In hockey, for example, keeping possession of the puck makes you fair game to hits from the opposing team (that's the rule). If the possessor were to raise his stick at the direction of the incoming player trying to make a hit to *defend* himself, I wouldn't call it smart but plain dirty.

I think some rules don't make sense, and others don't address problems correctly. I see personally that if you jump for the ball, you leave yourself open to injury from other players jumping at you "going for the ball". So defending yourself by raising your legs is smart
    Well first this is your preference. Not going to argue about preferences. Im only going to say that you should put that into some rebound in basketball, its almost the same situation. Just imagine a player jumping like that to get the rebound. The referee would die of suffocation from all the whistle blowing. If both players jump acconding to the rules you dont have to defend from anything is as simple as that and even more when its against the rules. Moreover when 95% of the hits come from elbows not knees thats why those are so blatantly judged and criminalized. Thats how football its regardless if you like or not. You could go and make your own sport like gladiatorball or rawnba or whatever you like.

And just because that kind of situations are common in football is why there are so many rules about it. And thats also the reason for so much controversy. Cause sometimes is so hard to appreciate the difference between a disputed ball and an agression that all falls on the intention judging of the referee. Its the beauty (and damnation) of that sport.
    Last edited by Edort4; Fri, 06-20-2014 at 07:38 AM.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Splash! View Post
    I really don't understand the logic here. If two players are jumping for the ball, sure there is some risk to both players. It is only fair that one isn't allowed to raise their legs to *defend* themselves at the expense of the other also going for the ball. Why is it *smart* if one player blatantly disregards the rules to risk injury to the other one that is actually following them? That is just dirty...

In hockey, for example, keeping possession of the puck makes you fair game to hits from the opposing team (that's the rule). If the possessor were to raise his stick at the direction of the incoming player trying to make a hit to *defend* himself, I wouldn't call it smart but plain dirty.
    If they both jumped simultaneously then it's fair game, but the one who jumps first usually takes the worst of it, as he's both concentrating on the ball so he doesn't see it coming, and because the other guy jumps into him while "going for the ball".

In hockey, you can defend yourself from a hit by lowering your shoulder or getting out of the way. It's different when you're jumping in the air and at the mercy of gravity and any opponent who jumps at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edort4 View Post
    Well first this is your preference. Not going to argue about preferences. Im only going to say that you should put that into some rebound in basketball, its almost the same situation. Just imagine a player jumping like that to get the rebound. The referee would die of suffocation from all the whistle blowing. If both players jump acconding to the rules you dont have to defend from anything is as simple as that and even more when its against the rules. Moreover when 95% of the hits come from elbows not knees thats why those are so blatantly judged and criminalized. Thats how football its regardless if you like or not. You could go and make your own sport like gladiatorball or rawnba or whatever you like.

And just because that kind of situations are common in football is why there are so many rules about it. And thats also the reason for so much controversy. Cause sometimes is so hard to appreciate the difference between a disputed ball and an agression that all falls on the intention judging of the referee. Its the beauty (and damnation) of that sport.
    Well basketball is different, as you jump with your arms up to grab the ball, and a lot of players use their arms to create space as they go for the ball. In soccer, you jump with your head as the highest point. It makes sense then to have your arms and legs outstretched to defend your body as well as to possibly get more lift.

I'm not for or against this rough play, I just understand why players do it and can't hate them for it.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

More often than not, both players jumping are focused on the ball. To say the one who jumped first by a fraction of a second should be able to defend himself by raising his legs is silly. If the one jumping *first* is at risk, so is the other one. What is to stop every other player from thinking they were first on the jump in the heat of the moment? Anyways, it doesn't matter if the rule makes sense (which I believe it does), the fact is that raising your legs like that is not a legal play. One player disregarding a rule to gain an advantage against those who are following it is by definition CHEATING (and definitely dirty if it increases the risk of injury to another). There is nothing subjective about it.

How is the one jumping second at as much risk as the first? Only if you naively assume they are both focused on the ball. The rules are intended to protect the players but in reality they put them at risk. And do you even know what the rules say exactly about what is legal and what is illegal when jumping in the air?

According to FIFA, the only rule that could apply is "kicks or attempts to kick an opponent" (http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footba...d=1290868.html). If you jump and your legs flail, that isn't automatically a foul if you make contact with another player. It's highly subjective of the ref whether it's a foul or not.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

How is the one jumping second at as much risk as the first?
    Almost always, the one jumping later is at a greater risk of head injury. Not even going to bother explaining that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Splash! View Post
    Almost always, the one jumping later is at a greater risk of head injury. Not even going to bother explaining that one...
    Sure he is at risk of getting kicked or elbowed in the head, if he chooses to jump at the ball when an opponent is already airborne. But the greater danger is to the guy who jumps first, as he can get undercut or get hit when he's not looking. You're assuming they both jump at the same time. In the video with Pepe's antics, he's clearly airborne well before an opponent leaps at him. As I said, he's defending himself, which whether dirty or illegal, is smart.

And now England is officially out. If a team is eliminated, do they still play any remaining games in the round robin?

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Sure he is at risk of getting kicked or elbowed in the head, if he chooses to jump at the ball when an opponent is already airborne. But the greater danger is to the guy who jumps first, as he can get undercut or get hit when he's not looking. You're assuming they both jump at the same time. In the video with Pepe's antics, he's clearly airborne well before an opponent leaps at him. As I said, he's defending himself, which whether dirty or illegal, is smart.
    its as if you've never seen a duel between two players going for a header without injury or a foul.. and again, its not "smart", he's not even doing it to avoid injury on himself

"Better shoot that guy before he shoots me, he might do it! HE MIGHT DO IT!"

and on a side note, that foul counts as "jumps at an opponent".. just saying
    contact doesn't have to be made, intimidation and distraction is enough
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Fri, 06-20-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    its as if you've never seen a duel between two players going for a header without injury or a foul.. and again, its not "smart", he's not even doing it to avoid injury on himself

"Better shoot that guy before he shoots me, he might do it! HE MIGHT DO IT!"
    No, but why risk it when it's your livelihood and you stand to lose millions or even end or ruin your career due to injury? You should protect yourself, and if that means scaring opponents so they don't jump at you or even to discourage them from playing the ball, then that's pretty smart. You can't say for sure he doesn't do it to avoid injury on himself, you don't know.

There are "tough guys" in every sport that you hate to play against. Some of what they do is considered dirty, some is illegal, but it's effective.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    No, but why risk it when it's your livelihood and you stand to lose millions or even end or ruin your career due to injury?
    because you give the opponents several (unecessary) free kicks which might result in goals. which leads to you being benched and ending your career
    playing the player (thats what "if that means scaring opponents so they don't jump at you or even to discourage them from playing the ball" means) instead of the ball is a foul, that is a fact, you might as well grab the ball with your hands instead of jumping, the result is the same
    I'll stop discussing this now though... this is a waste of time.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Fri, 06-20-2014 at 04:34 PM.

As bad as Pepe may be, he's still a star and fan favorite. His team loves him (maybe not all but enough) and his fans love him, which answers the original question.

Yes, I'm sure you have much more important things to do. As do I.

Suck it Arch.

2-2. Portugal still at -4

15 seconds, damn it all. It could have been a guaranteed 6 points.

Portugal is gone for sure, there is no way they're scoring 6+ goals vs Ghana the way they're playing.

I kinda feel bad for finding someone to blame, but Bradley fucked up big time. I haven't checked commentary on TV or online, but I hope they're roasting him for making such a boneheaded play that led to the goal.

That US game was really exciting despite the draw result. Both of the Portugal goals seemed to come from momentary lapses in concentration and/or judgment. Even the first goal they scored at the beginning of the game where the defender gave the crossing man too much room. I think we can deal with Germany; they didn't look amazing against Ghana. France, on the other hand, is terrifying.

The US had a few lapses in concentration. If Ronaldo had been on his game, the score would have been more like 4-2 Portugal. That first goal was ridiculous, Cameron kicked it straight to Nani for the goal.

One thing that bugged me was how selfish some of the players seem to be. Two US players go down with non-foul injuries late in the game, roll around on the ground for a couple minutes, then refuse to be subbed out. One of them, Beasley looked all of his 32 years in the waning minutes and had trouble keeping up with the play, but stayed on the field.

Uruguay's star Suarez bites an opposing player. I guess he was hungry for some Italian. The guy's nickname is "Cannibal" and this will be his third biting infraction in his career (that we know of). Fucking amazing sport, truly the sport of kings.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Like the previous match, France had a difficult game with lots of technical mistakes. Seems like the group is fairly tired, which is usual at that point in a world cup. The Nigeria also suffered from fatigue and it seems in the last 15 minutes were not able to keep enough pressure and let the match go. It is to be noted that in the first 20 minutes of second half, the Nigerians were clearly dominating and lost their chance in changing the game. But maybe then, they lost the energy and pressure that would give the French opportunities later in the game.

Next opponent is either Germany or Algeria. We'll know in the next 4 hours.
    A France/Algeria game would be a nightmare, prone to civial war... no really. Anytime Algeria wins or loses a game (for the past 5 years), there are burnt/vandalised cars or shops. You understand that I'd rather have Germany win against Algeria, not for the sport, but for peace reasons...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I want to see Pepe in a match against Suarez and Robben. Bunch of tools deserve one another.