Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack on Titan: Shingeki no Kyojin

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Motivation can be a strong factor. Like others have said, most of this new batch has directly suffered in some ways from the attacks. The older guards (at the time of the attacks) were used to taking potshots at them with cannons, at best. The only ones who fought directly were the scouting legion...and they're not exactly inspiring.

Where it used to be common knowledge that the "Offense" team was a death sentence and a waste of money, Eren and Mikasa have a reason to want to slaughter them all.
    You made me realise that the people from the outter wall were despising the scouting legion as much as the people from inner walls did despise people from outter wall.
    Not that big of a detail, or just that it shows Mankind probably did not choose the best strategy against the odds, by keeping a too strong classification between people.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

What is going on with all the stills in this episode? I know that nothing much happened but the whole exchange where they go out in the woods was basically not even a TV show, just still frames.

The music is just stellar though, and combined with the fact that this wasn't exactly an action episode makes me more forgiving.

I don't get why that guy goes "I'm losing my trust in people" or some shit like that. Mikasa never betrayed him in any way or form.. they don't even know each other. I can deal with a jealous rage at Eren even if it's a textbook response - at least that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I don't get why that guy goes "I'm losing my trust in people" or some shit like that. Mikasa never betrayed him in any way or form.. they don't even know each other. I can deal with a jealous rage at Eren even if it's a textbook response - at least that makes sense.
    GG mistranslated that. The exchange goes "What did you just wipe off on my back? - My faith in humanity."

What he means is he has lost all hope since a loser like Eren is palling around with Mikasa.

I see, theyīre creating a relatively peaceful atmosphere now, just to destroy it again later on. My only gripe this week is how quickly Eren lost his determination when he panicked about not passing the gear test. Even IF heīd fail the recon entry test ... so what? You swore to kill all titans, you swore it to your dead mother. So just leave these soldiers and train by yourself. Become a lone fighter. Here it seemed as if he had given up all his plans, had he not let become part of the trainee camp. Silly.

Btw. I hope theyīre stopping with these time skips rather sooner than later. Itīs okay for now, since we saw the hero as a child, now at the beginning of his training. But hopefully the story finds a more seamless, smoother pace from now on.

I died laughing at the potato scene. good episode overall

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I died laughing at the potato scene. good episode overall
    I really can't tell if the trainer never ate potatoes because of how low-class they are, or because if how high-class they are.

Thanks for the clarification Y.

I really can't tell if the trainer never ate potatoes because of how low-class they are, or because if how high-class they are.
    He didn't really look like a noble's son who got an officer's rank as a birthright.

I think that potato scene was made all the better for me by the fact I've stood in the ranks myself when an incredibly mean looking and sounding older NCO was greeting new recruits. It's such an atmosphere that only a real nutjob would even think of eating during it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    He didn't really look like a noble's son who got an officer's rank as a birthright.
    The social setting would suggest such, but the way it was spoken was as if someone asked me "I don't get it, why would you eat dirt?"

The confusion and your post still doesn't really explain to me if people don't eat potatoes because they're expensive, or if people don't eat potatoes because they're pig food. It was in the kitchen, so clearly someone eats them.. but still. Doesn't help.

Sasha is clearly insane. That the thought that she shouldn't be eating didn't even occur to her is bad enough. That she was literally willing to worship the blond girl because she gave her food, and the joy and sadness when Mikasa decided to toy with her is another. But what really seals the deal is that she offered the drill instructor "half" but gave him less than a quarter of what was left (enough that he actually commented on its "halfness").
    (edit: Bonus points that they cast psychopath-seiyuu Kobayashi Yuu to play her.)

Someone's village has food issues. She behaves like someone who has no idea when their next meal will be the next day, or the next week. This paints an interesting picture on the social structure of the walls. Moreso given that most of the recruits seem to have a goal of living in the pampered innermost wall, rather than revenge. Eren, Armin, and Ryner are looked at as the strange ones.

But she's not the only one. Mikasa herself is pretty obviously damaged in the head. Armin correctly identified Eren's thoughts, that he no longer has to be dependent on Mikasa for help. Mikasa immediately refuted that and said what it was really about was that he was relieved the two of them can continue to stay together. Creepy...
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sun, 04-21-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: formatting and VA comment

The social setting would suggest such, but the way it was spoken was as if someone asked me "I don't get it, why would you eat dirt?"
    You lost me. I thought you were joking in your earlier post. He asked her why she's eating a potato because he was actually as shocked as anybody else there, if not more so, that somebody would dare to start to eat during his gentle greeting to the troops. However, I don't see during that scene anything to suggest potatoes would be considered of low value. In fact, since lots of people were dying of hunger after the outer wall was lost, potato would be regarded as an ultimate food, not any less so by the military. Wars can't be fought on an empty stomach and potato is very convenient in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    But she's not the only one. Mikasa herself is pretty obviously damaged in the head. Armin correctly identified Eren's thoughts, that he no longer has to be dependent on Mikasa for help. Mikasa immediately refuted that and said what it was really about was that he was relieved the two of them can continue to stay together. Creepy...
    Considering the world they are living in, it would be creepier if there weren't lots and lots of damaged people around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    You lost me. I thought you were joking in your earlier post. He asked her why she's eating a potato because he was actually as shocked as anybody else there, if not more so, that somebody would dare to start to eat during his gentle greeting to the troops. However, I don't see during that scene anything to suggest potatoes would be considered of low value. In fact, since lots of people were dying of hunger after the outer wall was lost, potato would be regarded as an ultimate food, not any less so by the military. Wars can't be fought on an empty stomach and potato is very convenient in many ways.
    That would make sense, if not for how they portrayed it. The trainer asked why the girl was eating a potato now, to which she said that potatoes are best eaten warm. Then he shortened his question to asking "Why are you eating a potato". If someone asked me these two questions in such a manner, I'll interpret that the timing of my eating potato wasn't that important and was thus left out to make his point heard. That means "Why do you eat?", or "Why potato"? The latter seems to be the more reasonable out of the two.

Then his surprised reaction at being given "half" a potato wasn't his angry drill-sergeant "IDIOT!" reaction, but one that suggests he's never even dreamed of half a potato in his life (to be eaten or w/e). The first part suggests potatoes are cheap. The latter part suggests potatoes are rich-people's-food.

Your line of thought would have been fine if the drill serg had a "How dare you" face instead of a "Potato? wtf?" face. As I said above, he stressed the potato - not the timing.

wat

He was shocked/surprised/dumbfonded/angry about the fact THAT she was was eating whatever (here: a potatoe) during his entry speeches. Are you drunk, Buff?

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    wat

He was shocked/surprised/dumbfonded/angry about the fact THAT she was was eating whatever (here: a potatoe) during his entry speeches. Are you drunk, Buff?
    Not drunk. Probably just as confused as the serg was. Did you guys seriously see any anger on his face?

Not drunk. Probably just as confused as the serg was. Did you guys seriously see any anger on his face?
    Well, tbh his face looks kinda permanent-angry.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Well, tbh his face looks kinda permanent-angry.
    Hah, until the potato came along.

P-potato...

Really though, let's think about me eating potato chips on assembly instead.

Serg: What are you holding in your left hand?
    Buff: A bag of potato chips sir! I found it on the bench on the way here.
    Serg: Did you steal that? Why? Why are you eating potato chips right now?

First why would suggest to me that he's confused at why I'd steal potato chips in the first place. Are they not worth stealing?

Buff: Potato chips are best eaten when crisp. That's why I thought it was a good idea.
    Serg: I still don't get it. Why are you eating a potato chip?

Seriously? Not Why are you eating right now?, but Why potato chip?. You can only think he's interested in potato chips. Why else would someone ask the way he did?

Those softened brows say 100% curiosity and 20% gratitude. No anger.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Never thought we'd have a potato talk about that scene
    Regarding the sergent's face, I would not define it as angry, but more so like highly overstressed/concerned. That mixed with him facing those giants and losing comrades multiple times.
    I totally feel he's more miserable than most of the recruits. And that's why he shouts so much, and gives the illusion he's so harsh.
    I wonder if it'll be important in the long run. But he seems to have links with Eren's father afterall.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I interpreted the look on his face in the 2nd screenshot as super-outraged, so outraged that expressing typical anger isnīt a valid option anymore. Basically, itīs the "wat?!"-humor. Something is THAT stupid/silly that you cannot find the proper response anymore.

In other words, the general could have never expected to see a fresh recruit doing something so offensive. Heīs at a loss for words, staring at the piece of potatoe as if itīs an alien artifact.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Even IF heīd fail the recon entry test ... so what? You swore to kill all titans, you swore it to your dead mother. So just leave these soldiers and train by yourself. Become a lone fighter. Here it seemed as if he had given up all his plans, had he not let become part of the trainee camp. Silly.
    I liked that, everything backfired on him, especially his big mouth attitude towards those who were not able to keep going.
    and its not like he could've done anything if they decided not to make him a soldier.
    if you wan't to join the army, you either get in, or not - thats it.. nothing in between

he isn't (completely) nuts, even he knows that he can't fight them alone

@ potato scene

the thing that cracked me up was when the girl offered him "half", which clearly wasn't even 1/4 of it.
    even the sergeant couldn't believe it - guess thats the true reason why he sent her running
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 04-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.