Thread: Thermae Romae

Thermae Romae

"A short three-episode Flash-based adaptation of Yamazaki Mari’s comedic manga, which is about a Roman architect named Lucius who finds himself in 20th century Japan after getting sucked away at a thermae (public bath). It will be airing in the noitaminA time slot for three weeks before Black Rock Shooter takes over." -RandomC

Genre: Comedy, historical, seinen, slice of life
    Episodes: 6 (or 3 officially, but the eps seems to be split in two half-lengths in all the fansubs)
    Links: AniDB, ANN, Official
    Download:
    Episode 1: Nutbladder | gg
    Episode 2: Nutbladder | gg

- - - - - - - -

This is one of the better shows this season in my opinion. It's also clear why the manga won an award. Of course this is a highly unconventional show in many respects: The graphics are quite seinen indeed and the animation is next to nonexistent. The show is more like talking heads than what one would think of when hearing the word anime. In that sense it's perhaps for the best the eps were cut to half the original length. However, the story and dialogue more than make up for it. And who knows, maybe this format actually serves the story the best; it kind of suits the ancient Rome feeling nicely, perhaps better than fluid animation would.

I'll make an exception here and won't study the VA casts. There are no moe girls in this show, nor anything else that would serve anything for fanboys. However, the voice acting seems very good, which is also essential since this is mainly talking head action. The script cuts no corners, which is again essential. How the genuine Roman man calls the Japanese is both funny and very believable in a historical context, however outrageous in modern terms.

RandomC didn't seem thrilled, but I'll keep watching this for sure.
    Last edited by Kraco; Fri, 01-13-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Typo.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    There are no moe girls in this show
    The old man scored himself a scorching wife though (she's just after his inheritance I'm sure).

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    There are no moe girls in this show
    Fuck yeah manly anime, brb downloadan

Ok - This is good. Short - Must see.

Lucius is certainly in a pinch now! Is he a man enough to say no to the Emperor - or would being a man enough only make things worse?

Episode 5 - WhyNot | Nutbladder
    Episode 6 - WhyNot

I was about to say that women may be rare in this show, but are sure top class.. I was going to say that...

Bit sad that such an enjoyable show is only so short, but it'll make it even more memorable. Does Lucius even know he's going to take it up the ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Bit sad that such an enjoyable show is only so short, but it'll make it even more memorable. Does Lucius even know he's going to take it up the ass?
    I think he does, but doesn't dare say no to an emperor.

It's a pity the show's already over. Based on these eps, the mangaka certainly has what it takes to build a story around as literally outlandish an idea as this. The animation might have been very frugal indeed, but the basic design and voice acting were topnotch (at least the Japanese, the Latin might have fallen a bit short).

Nutbladder - SP

---------------------------

Return of wacky ideas. Not sure how Rome would react to Moe clashing with their macho-admiring ways.

Not sure how Rome would react to Moe clashing with their macho-admiring ways.
    It seemed to be a huge hit!

I don't know if I want to watch it in full...
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 05-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.

I don't know if I want to watch it in full...
    Yeah. The anime was comedic because of its deadpan humour in small doses (the eps were short, after all). This live action might be taking itself too seriously and building too grand stuff in the story, based on the trailer. And of course in the anime the Romans actually looked like foreigners compared to the Japanese people.

But who knows. If a sub appears, I might still watch it. But I have a feeling I won't go out of my way to look for a release.