Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 United States Presidential Election

South Korea is kind of an exception. They are still technically at war with the North, and the U.S. has signed a pact to continue to defend them.

We've "left" Iraq...but the Embassy is a Fortress. "The Embassy of the United States in Baghdad is the largest and most expensive of any embassy in the world. At 0.44 square kilometers it is nearly as large as Vatican City." Anyone who thinks that we are not still directly involved in Iraq's affairs needs only to look at that beast. Anyone who doesn't think the US uses that "embassy" as a base for clandestine operations is a fool.

Afghanistan is a problem. It has always been a problem (for the Russians prior to the US) and it will always be a problem. A lot of that is the simple constant flux due to the demographics of Afganistan. Too many diverse tribes. At least there, the United States has a large amount of coalition support. Furthermore, India will be taking over, similar to the alliance that the US has with South Korea. Though it's pretty obvious what India's motives are, considering the particular country they can now pincer between Afghanistan and India (for those not up to date on geography or history, it is Pakistan, who are no friends to India).

We live in interesting times. Isolationism simply will not be possible.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_965945.html

It is a beast. And the reduction of the troops is to please the public.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Can the USA get all that money back in oil or do they simply have so much spare money to spend? I had no idea they would continue to pump such amounts of money into that wretched country after pulling out the actual military troops. From my point of view there's little danger of the Arab countries unifying for greater common purposes any time soon, so divide and rule hardly can be the primary reason.

I doubt its entirely "pumping" money into those countries per say. I mean its a complete waste of the tax payer's money yes, but to the people in charge they probably know military contractors and the like are making a lot of dough off this business. The trillions of dollars go somewhere (arms builders).

Yea, the Military Industrial complex needs to get their due. When the formal military moves out, that is when those guys take over en masse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Can the USA get all that money back in oil or do they simply have so much spare money to spend? I had no idea they would continue to pump such amounts of money into that wretched country after pulling out the actual military troops. From my point of view there's little danger of the Arab countries unifying for greater common purposes any time soon, so divide and rule hardly can be the primary reason.
    Short answer is yes, long answer is maybe. If more money is need it can be just printed ( Uncle Sam's assets and values can't really be measured and most of America's debt is infact owned by the American people, Social Security and whatnot) of course it means higher inflation but since the US dollar is a World standard, do you think they really care? They are after the oil and all this is just to ensure that they get it. Petroleum is integrated into every aspect of our society, not just gas (simple things such as plastic, shampoo and everything you can possibly think of is basically connected to oil). Yes there is a ton of money that is flowing too damn loosely but who really is counting, who can be held accountable, who is the one going to enforce it. Answer to all those questions is the Government.

The Arab countries are not just one big group of people that just occupy different countries. They all have their own cultures, pride and customs (pride is a big thing to them, it's a very ignorant comment I just made since I don't know all the different Countries personally but I believe it is accurate). While they might be willing to help eachother out once in a while, that doesn't mean they are united.

As for the reasons why that "Embassy" is there for the better or worse, I would venture to say it's a means to an end. It's there to have a foot hold in enemy territory, it's there for intelligence purposes (I use that term very loosely), it's there for meet and greets, arms deals, shaddy deals, greed and everything else it can be used for.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Sat, 01-07-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    ___

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrage View Post
    Short answer is yes, long answer is maybe. If more money is need it can be just printed ( Uncle Sam's assets and values can't really be measured and most of America's debt is infact owned by the American people, Social Security and whatnot) of course it means higher inflation but since the US dollar is a World standard, do you think they really care? They are after the oil and all this is just to ensure that they get it. Petroleum is integrated into every aspect of our society, not just gas (simple things such as plastic, shampoo and everything you can possibly think of is basically connected to oil). Yes there is a ton of money that is flowing too damn loosely but who really is counting, who can be held accountable, who is the one going to enforce it. Answer to all those questions is the Government.
    We can't in fact just keep printing money because it devalues our dollar. If we suddenly start printing trillions of more dollars, speculators will worry and our economy might slump further.

I can't believe they are having a GOP debate this morning after the one last night. Someone is making a shit ton of money on these debates, I am guessing, and that is probably why they are occurring so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    We can't in fact just keep printing money because it devalues our dollar. If we suddenly start printing trillions of more dollars, speculators will worry and our economy might slump further.

I'm not saying that it will happen indefinitely but it has happened and just recently too. Yes it does reduce the value of the US dollar, hence the word inflation. Just stating it has and always been an option.

@ Rockmanj: it has been political comedy hour for quite a while now. I don't know whether to cry endlessly or laugh. It's saddening to think one of these guys can be in charge of your future, it's a very scary thought.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Sun, 01-08-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    ___

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    US Elections?
    Well, I've got boring French ones too, competing for most boring elections in the world with USA ones...

Regarding USA and debt?
    Well, till 10-20 years ago, the US of A were able to do anything they wanted with the money they created and devaluate anytime to lessen the burden, leveraging what you could call a world tax.
    But, in the last 20 years, China has absorbed a great deal of US debt in many forms and has enough weight to prevent the US of A to play the devaluation game as they please. So the debt now keeps increasing and the system is soon to be in a deadlock.

I do not know what will happen that will solve that problem, but rules have changed ever since China got more and more trade powers... They didn't even have to force anyone to get those power, they were offered to them. Even with absolutely no ill intentions, it's a fact they have more power and can/will influence any global solution that has to be found to solve the now global economical mess we have.

What can a new US of A president do then? I don't know...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I've agree with most of what you said. Just curious what does the "A" stand for.....
    ___

Are you serious?
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Are you serious?
    Dead serious. If you read his comment you will get the feel that he infers it to mean something other that "America". I got the impression of something along the lines of "Assholes", "Arrogant Pricks" and so on. Just wanted to know for clarity.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Sun, 01-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    ___

I would not infer such things without smileys or some kind of explanation.
    And I know I used both USA and US of A, without knowing why using the longer one.
    My question would be why would you think I would write that in the context of what I wrote?
    But the discussion isn't about it.
    Let's get back to the elections.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Yeah why would you think that? I didn't get a feeling he was inferring anything; you are just projecting.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    My question would be why would you think I would write that in the context of what I wrote?
    You're French .

Still didn't answer my question.

DS you could be right.

As you requested, getting back to the GOP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/08/republican-debate-sunday-new-hampshire-fireworks_n_1192374.html

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/08/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...acebook-debate

To some it up, just nick picking over stuff that doesn't really matter when you consider what the road ahead has in store and how they intend to deal with it.

p.s. David75 in retrospect I was rather hasty in my assumption and in my own habit of mentally reading US as the United States I came up with a rather insulting phrase. Doesn't mean that in some cases it isn't true, but still insulting ether way. So I apologize for inferring something you didn't originally say and accusing you of the like.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Sun, 01-08-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    ___

Yup I'm French, doesn't mean I have something against the USA and never had the intention of implying the separation of the A would mean something like you did.
    Now, it all seems like you somehow think like that and were using my post as ways of venting your ideas. Go ahead, express your feelings.

Then we'll go back to the subject

Jounin
    I would like to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrhA0sEkuaM as president. :P

A buddy at work pointed me to http://www.americanselect.org/

It's a website to pick a 3rd candidate to run for president if you're not happy with the 2 parties' nominees. You gauge some initial values, then answer questions about your political leanings to adjust where you stand on all sorts of topics from immigration to campaign finance reform. The site's purpose is to gather enough user input to actually nominate and back an independent candidate in the 2012 presidential elections.

I've signed up, but personally I think it's fruitless and just a way to make us feel like we're not powerless in this $$$$ political system.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?